Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Black and Blue cover/inside photos
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 14, 2018 02:44

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 20, 2018 20:38

That's a interesting take on Jag's face, and would fit right in on the Face Dances cover (oh, no, sorry, wrong seminal 60s legend) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I've been trying to find Smack and Blow, the sessions from this era, but with no luck on youtube (it seems to be on lockdown in my region).

Anyone's fingers point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Date: September 23, 2018 03:11

ROLLING STONES BLACK AND BLUE SHEET MUSIC MUSIC BOOK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-01 02:58 by exilestones.

Date: September 23, 2018 15:52

I recall that very book. One of the first times I saw Ronnie as a stone. First time me and my friends saw Stones lyrics. the rap at end of "Hot Stuff" that had been UNDECIPHERABLE! The story line of "Melody". And of course Jagger's wonderful tale of "Memory Motel".

Date: September 24, 2018 23:22

Date: September 24, 2018 23:27

Love seeing that music book, ExileStones. With the exception of Bill, everyone looks so cool.

Date: September 30, 2018 00:46

ROLLING STONES REPRO 1976 WEA RECORDS BLACK AND BLUE LAUNCH PARTY INVITE

Date: October 1, 2018 02:38

Date: October 1, 2018 02:43

Date: October 8, 2018 19:41

Date: October 9, 2018 16:21

Haha! That's great! Some photoshop/image manipulation, I assume...

Date: October 9, 2018 16:24

exilestones

Cant make out the song titles. This is good photo shopping LOL

Date: October 10, 2018 03:55

““I’m Black And Blue… And I Love It!””

"According to my source for the high-resolution magazine ad version, it ran as advertising in (at least) National Lampoon magazine. I can’t confirm whether that might be so, but I can say that the August 1976 “Compulsory Summer Sex Issue” of National Lampoon featured on its contents page this “answer back” version of the ad with the gender roles flipped:"

"The original (bound Anita Russel) ad does not appear anywhere in that August 1976 issue of National Lampoon, at least as the issue appears in the Internet Archive; but it might have appeared in other issues for all I know.

I should note that I emphatically do not endorse author Carolyn Bronstein’s dismissive condemnation of “the dangerous idea that women get excited when things get a little rough.” Dangerous the idea may be, especially as a generalized cultural assumption; but there’s manifest evidence that it’s also a truth, for some women at least and for wildly-varying values of “a little rough”. See eg., Rain DeGrey: “I love face punching & it was a huge part of my play for a long time. Was once kept in black eyes for 6 weeks.” A line from Paglia’s review refers to the “the acrimonious, long-running debate among feminists over whether sadomasochism is progressive or reactionary”; Bronstein’s dismissiveness strikes me as being a sniping shot in that unending war."

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 10, 2018 04:20

Hilarious spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 10, 2018 07:09

There's nothing like pretending we live in an eternal present when it comes to evaluating the correctness of art of earlier decades or centuries.

Was the bondage ad considered shocking in 1976? Yes, it was supposed to press people's buttons to generate controversy.

Was the idea to promote hurting women? Of course not, the word balloon makes it clear "some girls" enjoy bondage. At no point does it say all women will or suggest the woman is a victim of anything but consensual sex.

Yes, I know the band have all done bad things and should regret them in their dotage. They never suggested victimizing anyone. Ever.

Imagine their surprise when they released "Tie You Up" and the sleeves for UNDERCOVER or the "She Was Hot" 12" single and no one cared.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2018 07:14

YEAH … Tie You Up is a naughty lil number ….. Pinky WHACK !!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: October 10, 2018 16:00

Rocky Dijon
There's nothing like pretending we live in an eternal present when it comes to evaluating the correctness of art of earlier decades or centuries.

Was the bondage ad considered shocking in 1976? Yes, it was supposed to press people's buttons to generate controversy.

Was the idea to promote hurting women? Of course not, the word balloon makes it clear "some girls" enjoy bondage. At no point does it say all women will or suggest the woman is a victim of anything but consensual sex.

Yes, I know the band have all done bad things and should regret them in their dotage. They never suggested victimizing anyone. Ever.

Imagine their surprise when they released "Tie You Up" and the sleeves for UNDERCOVER or the "She Was Hot" 12" single and no one cared.

Wow! What a sentence. That's the kind of statement you can use to deal with almost all this over-the-top PC crap.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 10, 2018 16:43

I always wondered if the female model in the pictures was Jerry Hall’s twin sister (who sadly passed away from cancer some years back)
Hopefully Jerry will get some gorgeous twin grand babies soon :-)
great photos
thanks Exile
Of course the timing’s off for a Hall gal, right?
Anyway, bravo for a Rockin and Rollin ad campaign
Black n Blue is one of my favorite albums of all time—-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-10 17:07 by 35love.

Date: October 10, 2018 21:32

Palace Revolution 2000
Wow! What a sentence. That's the kind of statement you can use to deal with almost all this over-the-top PC crap.

I'd like to take credit, but a friend said something similar in a recent book review he did and it resonated with me. I just stated it more succinctly:

"I'm probably being a little unfair as my modern eyes and modern sensibilities aren't the target audience. It's important to remember the times in which something was written, and the audience it was intended for, when reading older works. We don't live in an eternal present. And while the exaggerated exoticism that goes on in these tales may seem cheap and offensive to many readers today, at the time this was exciting and novel to many readers."

[dustandcorruption.blogspot.com]

Date: October 10, 2018 21:34

35love
I always wondered if the female model in the pictures was Jerry Hall’s twin sister (who sadly passed away from cancer some years back)
Hopefully Jerry will get some gorgeous twin grand babies soon :-)
great photos
thanks Exile
Of course the timing’s off for a Hall gal, right?
Anyway, bravo for a Rockin and Rollin ad campaign
Black n Blue is one of my favorite albums of all time—-

It was Anita Russell. [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: October 11, 2018 08:05

Rocky Dijon
Palace Revolution 2000

I'd like to take credit, but a friend said something similar in a recent book review he did and it resonated with me. I just stated it more succinctly:

"I'm probably being a little unfair as my modern eyes and modern sensibilities aren't the target audience. It's important to remember the times in which something was written, and the audience it was intended for, when reading older works. We don't live in an eternal present. And while the exaggerated exoticism that goes on in these tales may seem cheap and offensive to many readers today, at the time this was exciting and novel to many readers."

[dustandcorruption.blogspot.com]

It's poetry. Its not so much what is being said (that is fine too) but how; with a lot of style.
The writer William Gibson; great pioneer, I love his books, but what I love most about him, I think, is that I will at times grab any paragraph, and just read it for the music. His writing will make one feel good; the words alone.

Anyway - always a pleasure talking to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-11 08:06 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 11, 2018 08:30

It’s funny to me to see a 5 page thread (and counting)on the cover of Black and Blue.
I’m gonna consider this thread my answer to those who kept asking me “why do you care so much about the damn cover art” when I complained nonstop about the completely unimaginative and lame cover of Blue and Lonesome.
The package means a lot,whether it’s a small icon next to a click for a download,a cd cover or a vinyl album.
Exile wouldn’t be the same without that cover art nor would Some Girls,Let it Bleed and all the others.

The Stones are getting lazy..

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 11, 2018 15:37

lem motlow
It’s funny to me to see a 5 page thread (and counting)on the cover of Black and Blue.
I’m gonna consider this thread my answer to those who kept asking me “why do you care so much about the damn cover art” when I complained nonstop about the completely unimaginative and lame cover of Blue and Lonesome.
The package means a lot,whether it’s a small icon next to a click for a download,a cd cover or a vinyl album.
Exile wouldn’t be the same without that cover art nor would Some Girls,Let it Bleed and all the others.

The Stones are getting lazy..

Yes, I agree. The artwork is important, and I think in the Stones case, it followed the music pretty closely. They created their artistically best artwork for their best albums, 1968–1972. By the mid-70s it was getting a bit cliché and not as inventive, but still cool. Some Girls was a step up (definitely punk influenced), Tattoo You was decent, but in later years they totally lost their edge. A Bigger Bang and Blue And Lonesome are so unimaginative.

Date: October 11, 2018 17:50

Palace Revolution 2000
It's poetry. Its not so much what is being said (that is fine too) but how; with a lot of style.
The writer William Gibson; great pioneer, I love his books, but what I love most about him, I think, is that I will at times grab any paragraph, and just read it for the music. His writing will make one feel good; the words alone.

Anyway - always a pleasure talking to you.

Nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-11 17:54 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: October 11, 2018 17:53

lem motlow

Album art was an art form. Have we ever ranked their albums by cover art? There's another thread. One possibly free of politics and negativity, though I have faith in our ability to always get there.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 11, 2018 21:03

HMN

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 11, 2018 21:13

HMN

Date: October 12, 2018 03:08

thumbs up

Date: October 19, 2018 00:57

Date: July 2, 2019 23:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 06:12 by exilestones.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home