Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Jeff Lynne's ELO 1st American Tour in 30+ Years
Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 3, 2018 23:38

I didn't know that Jeff Lynne is touring with ELO im the USA after an absence of over 30 years. They did the opening show in Oakland last night. I might have considered it had I known about it more than a day in advance. I was never a big fan, but I grew up on those songs, and it's the perfect music for a '70s-style laser-type light show. Which it had, along with big screens and a small orchestra. There are clips on Instagram and YouTube. Jeff sounds close to the voice he had on the original albums. The show received a good review from the San Jose Mercury News.

[www.mercurynews.com]

Re: OT: Jeff Lynne's ELO 1st American Tour in 30+ Years
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 4, 2018 00:34

He played Radio City Music Hall in NY I think a year or two ago. I went and was so thrilled. I adore ELO and Jeff Lynne but I truly never thought he'd have the popularity to come back (they had to cancel their comeback in 2001 behind a phenomenal album because of low ticket sales). And thankfully he also played the perfect venue for him which was Radio City. He's playing MSG this time around which is really cool although its super expensive and I don't need to go again. I'll try and get a freebie from my friend cause I don't think he's selling the place out.

But if you love ELO, go now because Jeff is still fantastic and has a great band with him. For years I heard he didn't tour because he didn't want to play smaller places and not have his big space ship and stuff. I get why although I thought it was a bit too pompous, but I'm happy he is finally getting to do it his way. They are mostly known for their hits but ELO was a damn fantastic band and Jeff Lynne is a national treasure. Done so much on his own and had his hand in so many phenomenal project. He's consistently never gotten the respect he deserves despite working with the biggest artists of all time.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 4, 2018 00:44

He is a genius

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 4, 2018 00:53

I’ve seen him twice in London in the last couple of years. 2 years ago at the O2 when I took my dad, then 74 and a big fan back in the day.

Last year I saw him at Wembley Stadium with the show professionally filmed for the ‘Wembley or Bust’ DVD.

Both were excellent and I’m likely to catch one of his shows when he comes back here in October. He will be touring for the next 3 months with dates in the US and Europe, finishing in his native U.K. The Birmingham shows will be special - his home city.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2018 02:31

I saw them at the Fonda Theater in 2015 as well as the Jimmy Kimmel taping, and both were great. Was never a huge fan, but having grown up with all that on the radio, and with my sister having all their albums, it was a nostaligic trip down memory lane with so many great songs (plus a new song or two they played). Very similar to seeing the Eagles about 10 years ago - having grown up with them on the radio, and my sister had all their albums - so many good songs. That being said, ELO was a hundred times better!

I had great tickets for tomorrow nights show at the L.A. Forum, but can't make it so sold them to my bro-in-law to surprise my sister as she's never seen them. Looking at avaialble tickets for Sundays show, and it's far from a sellout. In fact there's better seats available than the ones I sold, and the prices are much cheaper (only $109 vs. $179) - looks like the flex pricing/ price drops are in effect so might pick up a pair and be able to see them again after all as my wife is a big fan and would love to see them. And if I hold out a bit longer, maybe the prices will continue to drop!

Nice review of the Oakland show:

Jeff Lynne’s ELO triumphs in tour opener

Date: August 4, 2018 04:46

The tour is not well-publicized compared to the upcoming Eagles and Fleetwood Mac shows. There were TV ads for the Mac shows after they went on sale, and the shows aren't scheduled for months after the initial sale date. The Eagles have had a lot of broadcast advertising, as well. Perhaps ELO's management didn't have the budget for that, but they also failed to publicize it through PR news stories. Yes, they have played Europe and a couple of shows in small venues in LA and New York, but this is the first US national arena tour. They did sell out the Oakland arena. There were mostly seats at the back of the stage left the day before the show.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 4, 2018 05:04

Can anyone post a tour schedule.

Date: August 4, 2018 07:23

SATURDAY, AUGUST 4, 2018 LOS ANGELES, CA THE FORUM
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8, 2018 DENVER, CO PEPSI CENTER
FRIDAY, AUGUST 10, 2018 HOUSTON, TX TOYOTA CENTER
MONDAY, AUGUST 13, 2018 DALLAS, TX AMERICAN AIRLINES CENTER
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2018 ROSEMONT, IL ALLSTATE ARENA
THURSDAY, AUGUST 16, 2018 DETROIT, MI LITTLE CAESARS ARENA
SATURDAY, AUGUST 18, 2018 TORONTO, ON AIR CANADA CENTRE
TUESDAY, AUGUST 21, 2018 NEW YORK, NY MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
FRIDAY, AUGUST 24, 2018 PHILADELPHIA, PA WELLS FARGO CENTER

Date: August 4, 2018 08:26

Also the second show at the L.A. Forum this Sunday, August 5th

Date: August 4, 2018 09:33

marianna
The tour is not well-publicized compared to the upcoming Eagles and Fleetwood Mac shows. There were TV ads for the Mac shows after they went on sale, and the shows aren't scheduled for months after the initial sale date. The Eagles have had a lot of broadcast advertising, as well. Perhaps ELO's management didn't have the budget for that, but they also failed to publicize it through PR news stories. Yes, they have played Europe and a couple of shows in small venues in LA and New York, but this is the first US national arena tour. They did sell out the Oakland arena. There were mostly seats at the back of the stage left the day before the show.

Eh, I think thats just the band's approach. They obviously got a guarantee. I don't think they are hoping for another tour. They know their limit. They are lucky to have this one. If they did this without any promo, I kinda applaud them cause that means they got a good deal to avoid that, cause they need it.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: August 4, 2018 18:05

saw ELO last year in Hull at the football stadium, great show and i'm only a casual fan. Don't think they need a massive amount of promo to fill arenas and stadiums (as per second forum show) and no bother at all in the UK (this is the third year of arenas/stadiums from ELO at <130 quid a ticket)

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 4, 2018 18:43

Applied for free tix from the BBC for this gig at BBC Radio Theatre in 2015, but about 150 pairs of tix were available for 20-30,000 applicants so no luck there.

Still haven't managed to see them live over the years since they started,but will do one day.

Probably roughly the same band as now ,at that small gig.

[youtu.be]

Date: August 4, 2018 18:58

crawdaddy
Applied for free tix from the BBC for this gig at BBC Radio Theatre in 2015, but about 150 pairs of tix were available for 20-30,000 applicants so no luck there.

Still haven't managed to see them live over the years since they started,but will do one day.

[youtu.be]

He’s doIng a few shows at the O2 in October. Tickets are plentiful. Well worth a look. I’ll likely go myself. On his band, original ELO keyboardist Richard Tandy was part of the touring band until 2 years ago but he hasn’t featured since due to ‘illness’. JL himself said he’d be back this year but he isn’t. Hope he’s okay.

Lynne has fallen out with most of the original band, notably Drummer Bev Bevan.

His touring band are in fact the Mike Stevens Band, who are a professional backing band, supporting Take That amongst others.

Date: August 4, 2018 19:06

crawdaddy

[youtu.be]

Looks to be roughly the same band now except for longtime keyboard player Richard Tandy (since '72) who I think has had some recent health issues.

edit: I see grzegorz67 already answered the question above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-04 19:11 by Hairball.

Date: August 5, 2018 01:19

Woah, Richard Tandy isn't there?! Thats sad. I was so happy he was still there when I saw him at Radio City. At least some sort of vestige of the old band, of which yes, there was a "solid" lineup. I wish Bev was still there but I know the falling out means never again. Not sure why he fell out with the other guys.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 5, 2018 01:36

`Lynne has fallen out with most of the original band, notably Drummer Bev Bevan.

His touring band are in fact the Mike Stevens Band, who are a professional backing band, supporting Take That amongst others.

So Jeff Lynn gets to secure his gold pot for retiremnat. He must be 77 by now. Not going to knock him. he has endured and persisted.

Date: August 5, 2018 01:45

Jeff is 70, so he's not quite that old.

I'm also a Move fan. I would like to see Roy Wood some day, as well, but I don't think he ever tours in the United States.

Date: August 5, 2018 03:45

triceratops
`Lynne has fallen out with most of the original band, notably Drummer Bev Bevan.

So Jeff Lynn gets to secure his gold pot for retiremnat. He must be 77 by now. Not going to knock him. he has endured and persisted.

Not just that. 6 years ago he re-recorded all the biggest ELO Hits himself. He said it was “because it would be fun to redo them with modern recording equipment”.

Yeah right! It’s so that he can cut the original members out of the royalties. If anyone wants to use any of his old songs in films or adverts, they have to use the new versions and not the originals. This has already happened with ‘Living thing’ which was used in a car ad.

Date: August 5, 2018 08:30

marianna
I'm also a Move fan. I would like to see Roy Wood some day, as well, but I don't think he ever tours in the United States.
I'm shocked that he showed up for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction, although I'm happy he did cause I consider his inclusion his reward for The Move, who obviously wouldn't get in and its laughable to really consider Wood part of ELO.

Jeff Lynne in Detroit
Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: August 18, 2018 20:42

The wife & I went to see Jeff Lynne's ELO at Little Caesar's Arena Thursday night. We were both very impressed with the concert. The experience was like listening to a jukebox as the songs stayed very close to the originals. Jeff's vocals were spot on & the light show was awesome. Jeff was very humble throughout the show. I was amazed at the catalog of music ELO had.

OT: Jeff Lynne - Back in the USA 2019
Date: October 22, 2018 20:35

here he comes again....I want to see him but he just will not play close to me!

hope he adds some dates

Re: OT: Jeff Lynne - Back in the USA 2019
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 22, 2018 20:50

Those Langford sisters are great musicians spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

jeff Lynne’s ELO – 2019 Tour Dates

Thursday, June 20 Anaheim, CA Honda Center
Saturday, June 22 Sacramento, CA Golden 1 Center
Monday, June 24 San Jose, CA SAP Center
Wednesday, June 26 Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena
Friday, June 28 Tacoma, WA Tacoma Dome
Saturday, June 29 Portland, OR Moda Center
Wednesday, July 3 Nashville, TN Bridgestone Arena
Friday, July 5 Atlanta, GA State Farm Arena
Sunday, July 7 Tampa, FL Amalie Arena
Tuesday, July 9 Sunrise, FL BB&T Center
Thursday, July 11 Washington, DC Capital One Arena
Saturday, July 13 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
Tuesday, July 16 Newark, NJ Prudential Center
Thursday, July 18 Toronto, ON Scotiabank Arena
Saturday, July 20 Detroit, MI Little Caesars Arena
Tuesday, July 23 Grand Rapids, MI Van Andel Arena
Thursday, July 25 St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center
Saturday, July 27 Chicago, IL United Center
Tuesday, July 30 Columbus, OH Nationwide Arena
Thursday, August 1 Pittsburgh, PA PPG Paints Arena

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 22, 2018 21:24

F%ck ya! I'm in for Vancouver. Loved ELO since I was 7.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 22, 2018 21:29

mosthigh
F%ck ya! I'm in for Vancouver. Loved ELO since I was 7.>grinning smiley<

Showtime has been showing the Wembley stadium Concert - (Not sure of RECENT date)

They played "Handle with Care" from his TW days. Not the same but nice as well. love the gesture!

Date: October 22, 2018 22:17

Nashville is the my best bet. But geezzzz that's when the Stones are supposed to be touring per the rumors on here.

What can a poor boy do?

I need a Kansas City or a St Louis please. Maybe a Tulsa even

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 23, 2018 21:24

I’ll hit the Vancouver show

Date: October 24, 2018 06:20

Supposed to be fanclub presale today for Vancouver, but I think somebody screwed up and put all the aisle seats - four deep on each side - on sale with no passcode, so I scored 2 in row 17 floor center aisle. Everything in front of row 15 center is VIP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-24 06:22 by mosthigh.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 24, 2018 20:49

mosthigh
Supposed to be fanclub presale today for Vancouver, but I think somebody screwed up and put all the aisle seats - four deep on each side - on sale with no passcode, so I scored 2 in row 17 floor center aisle. Everything in front of row 15 center is VIP.

They had this gaffe resolved by the time I saw this message, but thanks for the heads up.

Date: October 24, 2018 21:00

Paddy
mosthigh

They had this gaffe resolved by the time I saw this message, but thanks for the heads up.

They were there last night for the Anaheim show, but when I attempted to put in cart an error message kept popping up.
Not that I was going to buy them anyways..was just testing the waters...will look into it again eventually.
Considering they just played two shows in the vicinity recently, not sure how fast this one will sell. And if it does sell well, they might add another "due to overwhelming demand".
Or as in the case with the recent "Fleetwood Mac" shows at the Forum, even if it doesn't sell well they might add another "due to overwhelming demand" lol.

Date: October 25, 2018 02:15

Hairball
Paddy
mosthigh

They were there last night for the Anaheim show, but when I attempted to put in cart an error message kept popping up.
Not that I was going to buy them anyways..was just testing the waters...will look into it again eventually.
Considering they just played two shows in the vicinity recently, not sure how fast this one will sell. And if it does sell well, they might add another "due to overwhelming demand".
Or as in the case with the recent "Fleetwood Mac" shows at the Forum, even if it doesn't sell well they might add another "due to overwhelming demand" lol.

Don't know about other cities, but they're still up for Vancouver. I did have issues on 2 of my browsers (Safari & Firefox) as well as mobile Android but it worked on Chrome. Weird.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home