Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: If you're into the Beach Boys
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 1, 2018 17:51

They get their own music channel.

[www.latimes.com]#

Re: OT: If you're into the Beach Boys
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 1, 2018 18:03

dmay
They get their own music channel.

[www.latimes.com]#

Great News! I was thinking about Carl Wilson the other day while listening to Don't Worry Baby on the Oldies radio channel. His brother has it right - to paraphrase "He was given a voice from the heavens." God Only Knows - yep

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: August 1, 2018 20:48

Clicked on the LA Times article, got this:
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

What a load of @#$%& crap, @#$%& the LA Times!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2018 21:01

Nice story, and good to see what's left of them all together again. thumbs up

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 1, 2018 21:39

Brian Wilson is in concert in Birmingham this month.

It's at a venue i have never been to before, it looks a smaller venue than normal for him, it's just a pity i fly out the day before.

It has the making of a good atmosphere imho.

The venue is the Digbeth Arena.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 1, 2018 22:07

odean73

It's at a venue i have never been to before, it looks a smaller venue than normal for him, it's just a pity i fly out the day before.

A friend of mine saw him at the Symphony Hall Birmingham (a much grander venue) a few years ago. He sat at the keyboard but whether he was actually playing any notes was doubtful.
Still the fans loved it, naturally.
We must be getting less critical in our old age!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 1, 2018 22:53

jlowe
odean73

A friend of mine saw him at the Symphony Hall Birmingham (a much grander venue) a few years ago. He sat at the keyboard but whether he was actually playing any notes was doubtful.
Still the fans loved it, naturally.
We must be getting less critical in our old age!

The keyboard has been a prop and security blanket since Brian hit the road 20 years ago. Brian is probably the worst front man in Rock and Roll, but that is part of why we love him.

I have-not seen him in a few years, but many times prior to that. There's been a few changes, but the musicianship and vocal layers of his band are an epiphany. Highly recommend.

Date: August 1, 2018 23:08

Brian is also on at Doncaster race course later this month.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 2, 2018 00:37

For those of you unable to access the LA Times site, here's the text of the article:

"Time heals all wounds. And in Hollywood, having a new project to promote can undoubtedly facilitate the mending process.

Thus, nary a hurtful nor discouraging word between Beach Boys founding members and periodic adversaries Brian Wilson and Mike Love was heard Monday night during a taping for a satellite radio show.

Sirius XM brought the two together in a public setting for the first time since the disharmonious end of the group’s wildly successful 50th anniversary tour in 2012, when Love, who holds the legal rights to use of the Beach Boys name, quashed efforts to extend the reunion tour and instead returned to his scaled-down Beach Boys touring group minus Wilson and fellow original members Al Jardine and David Marks.

The promotional aspect was twofold: to draw more attention to the satellite radio service’s new Beach Boys-dedicated channel and to spotlight the recently released album “The Beach Boys With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,” in which songs from the group’s repertoire have been overlaid with orchestral accompaniment by the English orchestra.

The album concept is similar to two collections of vintage Elvis Presley studio tracks that have had commercial success, especially overseas. The connective thread among the projects is longtime Presley associate Jerry Schilling

Actor-director Rob Reiner moderated the hourlong session at Capitol Studio A in Hollywood, where the Beach Boys once recorded, engaging all five longtime members who were on hand: Wilson (whom Reiner introduced as “The Genius”), Love, singer-guitarist Jardine, guitarist Marks and keyboardist-singer Bruce Johnston, who joined the enterprise in 1965.

The exchanges between Wilson and Love found both at their most cordial, Love saluting his cousin for melodic and harmonic creativity and Wilson coming across as moderately more conversational than he often is during interviews, a process he regularly treats with the same enthusiasm as a tax audit.

Jardine provided some of the most illuminating anecdotes from the band’s storied history. Regarding the recording of their first hit, “Surfin,’” Jardine noted that as vocally accomplished as the group — also then including Brian’s brothers Carl and Dennis — was in its early days, it had no instruments other than the Wilson family’s piano.

Of the “Surfin’” session, Wilson noted that “I had a little drum with a brush.” Jardine explained that after renting other instruments, “I forgot to rent the sticks for the drum. So I had to go back to the store and wound up getting some brushes.”

In addition to questions of his own, Reiner facilitated queries from audience members, most of which were Beach Boys 101 subjects such as “Did you live the lifestyle of surfing, cars and girls?” (Wilson said, as he often has, that Dennis Wilson was the only real surfer in the group, and that it was Dennis’ suggestion that Love write a song about the then-emerging sport that put the band on the road to pop music history.)

Marks said he also tried his hand at surfing, confessing, “I wasn’t very good. But there were girls at the beach, so I kept showing up.”

During a discussion of the Beach Boys’ delve into music traditions, Marks pointed out that surf guitar hero Dick Dale recorded a version of the Bahamian folk tune “Sloop John B” several years before the Beach Boys took it on in 1966 for their “Pet Sounds” album.

Jardine also jumped to answer in at one audience member’s question that temporarily stumped Wilson and the others: Was there anyone you would have wanted to collaborate with that you never did?

Jardine piped in: “The Beatles. I thought we were going to collaborate with them. John and George invited us to come to their hotel room when we were doing a show in Paris. But when we got there, they taught me Transcendental Meditation. But I think we would have had a great collaboration.”

The town hall session is slated to premiere Aug. 10 on the Beach Boys’ SiriusXM Channel 4 and will feature three of the songs from the Royal Philharmonic album: “Fun, Fun, Fun,” “California Girls” and “Good Vibrations.”

Near the end, Reiner asked, “Why do you think this music has lasted as long as it has?” Love responded: “I’d say it’s love,” Reiner elicited chuckles from the audience of about 100 as he quipped, “You mean Mike Love or just love in general?”

“The love of getting together and singing those harmonies,” Love continued. “Without thinking about any money, and about any fame or any record position on the charts, it’s the sheer joy of getting together and doing those harmonies together. That’s the essential ingredient.”

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: August 2, 2018 10:04

@dmay: Thanks ;-)

Date: August 2, 2018 14:12

How come The Stones haven't got their own music channel?

Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: August 2, 2018 14:33

Seeing him next week at Cropredy Festival. Looking forward to it smiling smiley

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 2, 2018 18:53

jlowe

They have in the past, notably when "A Bigger Bang" and "Shine A Light" were released...they're usually short-term runs as part of promotion for a new CD, DVD, tour, etc.

[investor.siriusxm.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-03 01:29 by Jah Paul.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 2, 2018 21:48

I just found out that Brian in playing in Edinburgh less than an hour from where I'll be in a few weeks time!

Just got a ticket - 60quid!

I loooooove BW, and haven't seen him for over a decade, what a nice surprise!

Anyone else going to Edinburgh?

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 2, 2018 22:26

Love Brian Wilson, absolute genius, also great that he conquered his demons and got rid of that control freak who was alienating him from his family and friends.
Something innocent and child like about him, your heart just goes out to him, and he still has that voice, as clear as a bell.smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2018 01:20

On impulse, just brought tickets and hotel to see him next week at Doncaster races, saying that our best friends live in Doncaster and will nice to see to see them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-12 01:20 by odean73.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 12, 2018 02:09

odean73

Should I put a tenner on him to win? I would have thought he was a bit heavy for that kind of nonsense

Date: August 12, 2018 20:30

Gazza
odean73

Should I put a tenner on him to win? I would have thought he was a bit heavy for that kind of nonsense

Like the horses i put my money on.hot smiley

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 13, 2018 18:08

Just saw him at Fairport convention Cropredy festival on Thursday night, another member of the beachboys also played with him. Biggest surprise was they had Blondie Chapman playing with them who did a small solo set.

I wasn't sure how good it would be but they recreated lots of Beachboy hits also the whole of Pet Sounds.

Brian just sat behind his piano but did sing.

By the end of the show everyone was on their feet dancing.

Date: August 13, 2018 19:14

odean73
On impulse, just brought tickets and hotel to see him next week at Doncaster races, saying that our best friends live in Doncaster and will nice to see to see them.

I've just done the same.
Doncaster is only an hours drive so I've broken a promise not to see 'Legacy acts'. Also ticket prices are very fair.
Its pure nostolgia I guess (or show biz dependent on your view)...still, amazing that after all he went through in the late 60s and 70s, he is still up their on stage.

Date: August 13, 2018 21:37

jlowe
odean73

I've just done the same.
Doncaster is only an hours drive so I've broken a promise not to see 'Legacy acts'. Also ticket prices are very fair.
Its pure nostolgia I guess (or show biz dependent on your view)...still, amazing that after all he went through in the late 60s and 70s, he is still up their on stage.

Wished I had a hours drive, saying that it's usually a decent drive from Brum. Will be driving up Friday afternoon and at least I have Monday booked off.

Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: August 13, 2018 21:48

pgarof
Just saw him at Fairport convention Cropredy festival on Thursday night, another member of the beachboys also played with him. Biggest surprise was they had Blondie Chapman playing with them who did a small solo set.

I wasn't sure how good it would be but they recreated lots of Beachboy hits also the whole of Pet Sounds.

I was there too smiling smiley

Date: August 13, 2018 22:04

pgarof

Thanks for this, was looking forward to this, but even more so now.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 13, 2018 22:37

jlowe

[www.virginradio.it]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 13, 2018 23:36

have a LOT of trouble watching Mike.
even in 'the day' i'm old enough to remember when they broke nationally with
their first singles.
yes he wrote some cool lyrics for certain;
yes he sang some wonderful classical leads.
that's all true. he's probably an excellent harmony singer too.
i won't get into what a lot of folks have said about him over the many years.
i guess he has his reasons and all that....dennis and his kid and etc..\
but, they enjoyed hating each other to some extent i hope...
anyway; it's his 'moves' or something.
even when he was long harrison hair mediating image;
i always thought he was somehow this creepy guy i'm sorrhy if it's not true.
but he opens his mouth about other bands in a most ungracious manner,
considering he was the easily the third best singer in that band. easily.

for example, imo Carl, Brian, Al, Bruce on some, and maybe even Dennis:
COULD have cut the lead vokes on Mike's, admittedly, fine lead vocal hit songs.
but could Mike nail God Only Knows? never. that's just one example,
tho it might not be fair to compare Carl to ANY other singer, double-tracked
or not. imo.

but i'm thrilled there's a 24 hour beach boy station; and will use it!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-13 23:42 by hopkins.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 13, 2018 23:41

I'm going to Doncaster. We have a hotel booked but I think he finishes early, so might drive home .According to Doncaster racecourse site he's on from 16.50 to 18.20 ?

sc uk

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 14, 2018 02:58

Is the interview available in full anywhere like Youtube? Would definitely be interesting to see those 5 sit down again. I'm still @#$%& pissed at Mike Love for how he handled that reunion situation. Brian makes you an ungodly amount of money that tour (those tix were EXPENSIVE!) and then you just totally dump him. And for a worse product? I'm shocked people even kept going, cause on a level you must know. Not sure if them sitting down again is a Brian thing where he's essentially comatose so while he's talked about how it bothered him maybe he just doesn't care enough? Or its just another one of those weird band dynamics things that makes sense to them but not fans (similar to Mick Taylor guesting with the Stones).

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 14, 2018 03:18

If people hate Mike, why did they want the reunion to continue, or happen in the first place? Also, while the tickets were pricey, the tour lost money. Between the addition of Brian's band members and Brian requiring his own tour bus (just for him alone) and a higher class of travel and hotels, it wasn't penciling out. Also, Brian's wife Melinda was the one who refused to extend the tour at first. She sent an e-mail to Mike's camp when an extension was first proposed. Then, she changed her mind a few weeks later. Some of the offers that Brian's camp claims they received later on didn't quite seem to add up. For example, New Year's Eve at Madison Square Garden (for which Phish has a standing gig every year) and Wrigley Field in Chicago (hard to believe they would remotely sell out a venue that large on their own).

Brian is better off on his own. He has that band, without which he would not be nearly as esteemed as a performer. Mike's band isn't bad, he's certainly upgraded it over the years, but it's a different kind of act. There's really no way that Brian and Mike, or more importantly, their wives, would be able to stand each other over any length of time. It was never that big of an event when Brian would pop up at BB shows from time to time back when Carl was around. I was never sure how they convinced people that adding Brian back in was that much of an event. When Mike is the front man, it will always have a different flavor, which most Brian fans can't abide. People should be happy they get Brian, his band, plus Al Jardine and Blondie. At this point, I wouldn't pay to see Brian again, but if you've never seen him, it's a good show (though Brian's voice has declined).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 14, 2018 06:33

I hate Mike Love but I accept him because he's sang tons of songs that I know by heart and are a part of my life. I hate the man, I appreciate the artist. But thats interesting that it wasn't all Mike, I'll admit thats news to me although it still seems like once they did that reunion it seemed silly to go back to the county fair stuff. But hey, if people enjoy it. I saw Brian Wilson solo do Smile in 2005 and that was more than enough for me. Phenomenal show.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 14, 2018 11:32

My favorite Beach Boys songs are :

Do It Again
Do It Again (goin' w it ya know)
God Only Knows
Surfin' USA

all their hit singles of course. too many to try to list.
All the biggies deserved their hit status and were bracing, wonderful & powerful.
... lots of chuck berry all over that stuff...
joyous rush w real drive

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home