Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

31 July 1975 Greensboro NC My First!!!
Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 31, 2018 04:53

Today marks my first ever Stones concert. What a great ride it's been since. My mom dropped me and my cousin off in the parking lot where we waited anxiously until the gates opened. I seem to remember a mad rush and part of the fence collapsing, then the mad rush into the coliseum. Didn't even get my ticket ripped, we just hopped over the turnstile and ran for the floor. Ended up just to the right of the lotus center point, in front of Keith.

What a night. I'll never forget it. I still had a copy of the local rag with a photo of the audience from the front; there I was! Unfortunately, lost the paper some years ago.

It's been a great 43 years! Looking forward to the next XX years!

Re: 31 July 1975 Greensboro NC My First!!!
Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 31, 2018 11:51

What a great memory! We have something in common.

July 9.1975 was my 1st concert and it was the Stones at the LA Forum Los Angeles, CA. opening night.

My high school classmate and his older brother( he has a drivers license and we were a few months shy of 16)went.The inside of the Forum was decorated in Chinese banners and the lotus stage was amazing. We had seats(@ $12.50) up in the colonade which had a great view. If we sat on the floor, our view would not have been as good.

How we go the tickets is another story (thanks to my late father)and a great one indeed.

Needless to say, ALL of my high school teachers were envious when they found out I had tickets.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-31 11:53 by Midnight Toker.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 31, 2018 13:16

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 31, 2018 15:19

Greensboro 75 was my very first Stones show, too! It was fantastic!

I was living in Winston-Salem at the time, and we came back to a gigantic house party after the show that went until the sun came up.

If you had told me in 1975 that I had nine more Stones concerts to attend (up to the last one, Zip Code here in Atlanta), I would have thought you were crazy!

Cheers!

smileys with beer

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: July 31, 2018 17:26

Great memories smiling smiley

A shame that no recording circulates..

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 31, 2018 18:36

mine too.

I wish I could say I was interested in the Meters then. I wasnt. They opened, but I barely remember them. now I'm a fan. they were a great band.

that Stones show was great, and as I'd seen the Faces earlier in the same Greensboro coliseum, it was apparent that Ronnie had done his homework and (mostly) learned the Stones' show.
smiling smiley

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 31, 2018 19:56

Found this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-31 20:00 by MAF.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 1, 2018 11:20

silkcut1978_
Great memories smiling smiley

A shame that no recording circulates..

Supposedly there was at one point. I'd always heard the rumour but never heard the tape!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 1, 2018 16:02

StonedAsia
Today marks my first ever Stones concert. What a great ride it's been since. My mom dropped me and my cousin off in the parking lot where we waited anxiously until the gates opened. I seem to remember a mad rush and part of the fence collapsing, then the mad rush into the coliseum. Didn't even get my ticket ripped, we just hopped over the turnstile and ran for the floor. Ended up just to the right of the lotus center point, in front of Keith.

What a night. I'll never forget it. I still had a copy of the local rag with a photo of the audience from the front; there I was! Unfortunately, lost the paper some years ago.

Thanks for the post. I was there as well. Yes, there was a mad rush through the doors and glass was broken.

It was a chaotic day all around. I remember a drug dealer asking my brother if he wanted to buy some acid. I guess the seller thought he was at a Pink Floyd concert! smiling smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 1, 2018 20:57

Some interesting posts from our US posters on here which paint a rather disturbing picture of what whole floor GA shows were like over there back in those days - pretty dangerous by the sound of it!

I've always wondered why every North American tour after the 1981 tour has been routinely seats on the floor. Since they started splitting the floor up into Pit/GC and GA in the UK and Europe in the 1990s and improved the security and stewarding, crowd safety has generally been fine and I'm sure they could make it work over there too.

I've been to outdoor shows by various artists with seats on the floor and for me it invariably sucks the life right out of the atmosphere.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 2, 2018 00:37

grzegorz67

I've always wondered why every North American tour after the 1981 tour has been routinely seats on the floor. Since they started splitting the floor up into Pit/GC and GA in the UK and Europe in the 1990s and improved the security and stewarding, crowd safety has generally been fine and I'm sure they could make it work over there too.

I've been to outdoor shows by various artists with seats on the floor and for me it invariably sucks the life right out of the atmosphere.

I suspect that the Who's 1979 Cincinnati show ended most stadium GA floors.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: August 2, 2018 01:10

StonedAsia

smileys with beer Ya never forget your first!

What a GREAT THING to do on a hot July night!
Man, I wish I was going to a Stones show tonight.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: August 2, 2018 01:52

I was at this one too.
It was my 18th Stones gig and the 13th one for that tour.

Here are a few of my shots from that night:

A fun night in nice town.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 2, 2018 02:00

stonesstein
grzegorz67

I suspect that the Who's 1979 Cincinnati show ended most stadium GA floors.

I’m well aware of that event. I believe they had unreserved festival seating there, up for grabs on a first come first served basis. Also the tragedy happened when fans overpowered security and illicitly entered during the sound check and not the show proper (which, unbelievably still went ahead!).

And don’t forget that the Stones’ 81 Tour, a full 2 years later, still had whole floor GA at most shows, not even divided into sectors.

Floor standing is much better organised and managed nowadays. In the US the Stones had it at Indianapolis just 3 years ago.

Here in U.K., we had floor seating at Stadium shows for both Licks and ABB and I thought it detracted hugely from the atmosphere. Thankfully they dropped it after that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home