Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Micks Descriptive Intros Of Band Members - Your Favourites
Date: July 30, 2018 10:34

«On the banana: Ronnie Wood»..

Date: July 30, 2018 12:27

From the recent Marseille show.................."and on 'Bouillabaisse', Darryl Jones"!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 30, 2018 12:58

Quite funny and a clever one was Mick's introduction of Ronnie Wood in some Helsinki gig (can't recall which one - 95? 98? 2003?) as "England's answer to Andy McCoy". McCoy - best known worldwide as a Hanoi Rocks guitarist - is a sort of classical druggie Keith Richards pirate type/clone - even legendary Nicky Hopkins, who toured with Andy here in Finland during the early 90's, described him as "the most Keith Richards-like person I've ever met". Shit, the guy even looked more like Jack Sparrow than Keef ever did...(Funny though, even when those Pirates of Caribbean movies were shown here, some not-so-well-informed movie critics described the Sparrow character as andymccoyish...grinning smiley)

Here is Andy "Finland's answer to Keith Richards" McCoy:

Anyway, I guess for McCoy, a huge Rolling Stones fan, that of Jagger mentioning him while introducing the band, must be one of career showlights...grinning smiley But I am not so sure if Ronnie was very flattered...At the time Andy started to play the guitar, Ronnie was already a rock star... But for Jagger, like for most of the world, Woodie might have been just another Keith Richards clone...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-30 13:09 by Doxa.

Date: July 30, 2018 13:39

Like Keith, Andy knows his blues (and his playing is as eclectic as Ronnie's) smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 30, 2018 15:05

Rocky Dijon
keithsman
Seem to remember Mick introducing Keith as the Honky Tonk Man many times, and for a while he refereed to him as the Devil In The Dark Fur, but i might have that slightly wrong.

Another time i think at El Mocambo Mick jokingly introduces the band and gets to Ron and says Ronnie Woods Gay , then gets to Keith and says Keith of course is completely straight, then i think Keith grabs the microphone and says and old bums rush Jagger here. Just the boys mucking around having a bit of fun but would be out of place these days with the political correct brigade being all snowflake and offended by it.

The "in Dark Fur" was actually "of Dartford."

These guys have done everything every possible way. They can joke about it and still sing "When the Whip Comes Down" in concert. They're not using the words as hateful slurs expressing contempt for a segment of society. It's more a form of male-bonding the same as Keith's comments about most of the Winos being black or Bo Diddley and Jerome trading insults on various sides for Checker. They're not meant to hurt. Quite the opposite actually. To your point, can some people view it as offensive? Sure. Look at Jesse Jackson's reaction to "Some Girls" and then contrast it with Garrett Morris' reaction. Both viewpoints are valid. Some are in on the joke and some aren't. That's nothing new for today's younger generation. That's just human nature.

anyone think Mick or Keith are being offensive to gays just look at the official Hey Negrita video...these guys are down with the gays...gayest rock video ever....el Mocambo best intro's ever btw...

Date: July 30, 2018 15:25

DandelionPowderman
Like Keith, Andy knows his blues (and his playing is as eclectic as Ronnie's) smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Yep, eclectic he is, plays some damn nice flamenco guitar among other things. What goes for Keith Richards influence, I don't think he took from Keef much anything else than his image, life style and posing. There is nothing 'less is more' philosophy in his playing, but he belongs more to the corner of 'flashy guitarists'. He is a kid of the 70's, brought in the world of heavy lead guitarists, then transformed his playing to fit to the punk rock, releasing the first Finnish punk single ever "I Really Hate Ya" smiling bouncing smiley) in 1977 with his band Briard while being just 15 years old... Before forming Hanoi Rocks he was a member of then most popular Finnish punk band Pelle Miljoona Oy. In Hanoi Rocks one can here his older influences from glam rock and hard rock to punk rock, not so much of the blues or the Stones.

I don't consider Keith Richards much of a blues player, but his relation to that genre, as a source of true inspiration (as is with Ronnie), is something I can never think of Andy McCoy having, him belonging to the next generation of players, for whom blues is just the historical origin of rock music a competent guitarist should know. I've seen Andy playing blues stuff live many, many times, but to me it's always been like a rock musician showing he can do this stuff too... But he is quite a character.... a huge celebrity here...

Here's Andy playing acoustic some familiar stuff in 1996. For being a Finn he is not typically shy of sharing his accomplishments or what he is or who fancy people he knows, etc. - Typically here he is, while introducing the song, talking about having met Marianne Faithfull the day before, who was a good friend of his old (died) wife, etc.. A horrible version, anyway (at least, the singing part)...

[www.youtube.com]

Okay, that's about Andy McCoy, let's go back to Jagger introductions...

- Doxa

Date: July 30, 2018 15:40

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Yep, eclectic he is, plays some damn nice flamenco guitar among other things. What goes for Keith Richards influence, I don't think he took from Keef much anything else than his image, life style and posing. There is nothing 'less is more' philosophy in his playing, but he belongs more to the corner of 'flashy guitarists'. He is a kid of the 70's, brought in the world of heavy lead guitarists, then transformed his playing to fit to the punk rock, releasing the first Finnish punk single ever "I Really Hate Ya" smiling bouncing smiley) in 1977 with his band Briard while being just 15 years old... Before forming Hanoi Rocks he was a member of then most popular Finnish punk band Pelle Miljoona Oy. In Hanoi Rocks one can here his older influences from glam rock and hard rock to punk rock, not so much of the blues or the Stones.

I don't consider Keith Richards much of a blues player, but his relation to that genre, as a source of true inspiration (as is with Ronnie), is something I can never think of Andy McCoy having, him belonging to the next generation of players, for whom blues is just the historical origin of rock music a competent guitarist should know. I've seen Andy playing blues stuff live many, many times, but to me it's always been like a rock musician showing he can do this stuff too... But he is quite a character.... a huge celebrity here...

Here's Andy playing acoustic some familiar stuff in 1996. For being a Finn he is not typically shy of sharing his accomplishments or what he is or who fancy people he knows, etc. - Typically here he is, while introducing the song, talking about having met Marianne Faithfull the day before, who was a good friend of his old (died) wife, etc.. A horrible version, anyway (at least, the singing part)...

[www.youtube.com]

- Doxa

Oh, I've seen that WH-clip many times. Absolutely horrible - really sad..

Let's remember Andy for what he was: A great songwriter and guitar player (and yes, you'll find plenty of musical references to Keith on this track).

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 30, 2018 16:23

A comment still about Andy...

A great guitarist he is, but sorry Dandie, I have missed all those great songs he wrote... At the time, as a kid, I liked Hanoi Rocks but I was never a big fan. The attitude, the looks and image, the sound, all that was exciting and fresh during the early 80's before all those hair bands and other posers took off (not just here in Finland but all over the world). But what was missing to really make an impression on me was the great songs. I think that was the actual reason they never made a real breakthrough internationally (except in Japan and probably England), but were destined to remain as a sort of cult band (who, as is typically remembered for, at least here in Finland, having an influence on Guns'n'Roses). I think as a symptom of that is that the only some sort of 'hit song' internationally they have, reaching Top Forty or something, was a cover of Fogerty's "Up Around The Bend".

But that is just my opinion. Great you like Andy's songs! I don't believe many even know who Andy McCoy is here in this site. Except you, I and Jagger...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-30 16:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 30, 2018 18:07

El Rey del Mariachi en Bateria Charlie Watts!!!
Mexico 2/26/2006

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 30, 2018 18:39

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

- Doxa

Oh, I've seen that WH-clip many times. Absolutely horrible - really sad..

Let's remember Andy for what he was: A great songwriter and guitar player (and yes, you'll find plenty of musical references to Keith on this track).

All that's missing here is an F chord and some talent.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 30, 2018 19:08

Ronnie Be Good

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 30, 2018 19:19

Andy McCoy? Isn't it Antti Hulkko? There is something immensely silly about this. Like a charade. We have had the same phenomena in Sweden. Another glam rock band: Europe. Some of the members adopted English names. They had a super hit though that supported them for the rest of their lives: "The Final Countdown". I will support Jerry Williams though. Who sadly passed away this year, 75 years old. He did that in the fifties when America, or England was far, far away for most Swedes. Something very exotic, like a Hollywood picture.

Date: July 30, 2018 19:49

Stoneage
Andy McCoy? Isn't it Antti Hulkko? There is something immensely silly about this. Like a charade. We have had the same phenomena in Sweden. Another glam rock band: Europe. Some of the members adopted English names. They had a super hit though that supported them for the rest of their lives: "The Final Countdown". I will support Jerry Williams though. Who sadly passed away this year, 75 years old. He did that in the fifties when America, or England was far, far away for most Swedes. Something very exotic, like a Hollywood picture.

William Perks also changed his name. Stephen Victor Tallarico, too. Not really a big deal, is it?

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 30, 2018 20:55

Thank's for the heads up DP & Doxa, been having a blast watching all the available clips on youtube of Andy McCoy and Michael Monroe doing their Mick and Keith from a very young age.
Never even heard of Hanoi Rocks until today but buzzed i do now.
There's a bit of everything in there, love this one when the guys must have been about 20 years old, sounds a bit Led Zep and so many other bands like the clash, i can see where Guns and Roses may have got their influence.

Pity that Andy looks like he took the Keith drinking thing a bit too far, he's 20 years younger than Keith and in bad shape, dude needs to stop now like Keith.
The trick with drink is to have long layoff's but for most heavy drinkers they end up going past the point of return. Such a shame. Never make a habit out of excess, save it for weekends winking smiley

Reading festival 83'
[www.youtube.com]

Edit. For posters to say this is silly i don't understand, It's like saying Rap is silly, this Rocks and if you don't like it, do what i do with Rap, don't listen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-30 21:21 by keithsman.

Date: July 30, 2018 21:21

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

William Perks also changed his name. Stephen Victor Tallarico, too. Not really a big deal, is it?

Maybe not. But silly. Andy McCoy? Not really a household name in Finland... In the USA ethnicity seems to be the grounds for changing your name. Bob Dylan or Dean Martin for example. They both changed their names to more accepted Aglo-Saxon ones. Interesting subject this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-30 21:32 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 30, 2018 21:30

Ronnie Wood, the Rembrandt of Rock!

Date: July 30, 2018 21:47

Love it when Mick introduces Charlie and says Charlie wants to say something, hands the Mic over to Charlie and he says "ello" haha gotta love him.

Date: July 30, 2018 22:00

keithsman
Love it when Mick introduces Charlie and says Charlie wants to say something, hands the Mic over to Charlie and he says "ello" haha gotta love him.

Yep, that is funny Keithsman. But a little bit awkward also. I would love to see Charlie turn the situation. But that will never happen...

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 30, 2018 22:22

EddieByword
Harlem Shuffler
colonial
EddieByword
colonial
Mick comes out with a lot of good ones in the Max 1991 video here's a couple missing 1 or 2 words I couldn't quite pick up

"Born in a pub in the _ Road" Mr Ronnie Wood
"The only guitar playing in a toilet _ _ _ and a long way from there" Keith Richards

"Born in a pub in the Old Kent Road" Mr Ronnie Wood..............if my memory's right

But, if Mick did say that he was wrong, according to wiki anyway..........apparently Ron was born in Hillingdon, west of London. The Old Kent road is East London..........[en.wikipedia.org]

Are you sure it wasn't 'Bill born in a pub', he was apparently born in Lewisham, the Old Kent road is just a mile or so North west of Lewisham.........

EddieByWord..It sounded like Elgin Road you have a listen to the Max 1991 video if only it had an subtitles option

It's the Old Kent Road but it's not to be taken literally. I'm sure he just means Ronnie is a London geezer and with Ronnie's drinking at the time it's even more apt.

That sounds about right.........thumbs up

EddieByword..I had another good listen to Micks intro..ya right it is Old Kent Road

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-30 22:23 by colonial.

Date: July 30, 2018 22:28

Stoneage
keithsman

Yep, that is funny Keithsman. But a little bit awkward also. I would love to see Charlie turn the situation. But that will never happen...

Agreed Stoneage, but Charlie is a class act, the way he won't sell himself no matter how badly he is put on the spot, he just does his job, no ego, no need for adulation, so in a way he does turn the situation when he just says "ello" winking smiley It's like stick that up your pipe and smoke it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Charlie has been great in some recent interviews, really opening up and saying what he thinks, he's like a typical old English eccentric, a dying breed, so we better enjoy him while his with us and the band, no one quite like Charlie smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-31 00:06 by keithsman.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 30, 2018 22:46

Green Lady
Ronnie Wood, the Rembrandt of Rock!

Green Lady..thumbs up

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: July 31, 2018 00:48

buttons67
didnt he call ronnie wood gay in love you live.

he did and probably payback for the press misidentifying him (Mick) as the one running around with the PMs wife!

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: July 31, 2018 01:01

why Do you think that is very unusual that someone introduce Mick??! I know that he doesn’t need an intro...but it would be great to have a standing ovation even for him!!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 31, 2018 02:58

MisterDDDD
Always have enjoyed the Ronnie intros.. but would vote for
Charlie "Boom Boom" Watts as my fave.. so good it really should be his official RS name.

Funniest "muffed" intro I witnessed was at the legendary, epic, fantastic spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Vegas '16 show, where when introducing Charlie, Mick started in with a story about how Charlie had been hanging with The Midnight Idol himself (Wayne Newton) while there, and before he could continue with the bit, Charlie scurried from behind the drums to run out to stop him, as Wayne was in the crowd apparently not wanting the attention.. cool smiley

What a lovely photo. Says it all.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: July 31, 2018 15:20

i loved when Charlie came to the front of the stage and said "hello" and Micks said "he speaks!"

Was that Roseland? I was there but i cant recall! Mick has 25 years on me, buts it my memory that going!!

Date: July 31, 2018 21:42

This Michael Monroe can give Jagger a run for his money as a front man, the dude is 56 years old here and moving like a teenager.

Opening for Guns And Roses last year.
He really needs to invest some money into a cordless mic though eye rolling smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-31 22:11 by keithsman.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 31, 2018 22:12

Rhonda

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 31, 2018 22:33

Wayne Newton is ghoulish...what a waxen freak.

Posted by: steenhorst ()
Date: July 31, 2018 22:40

From London Roundhouse in 1971

Posted by: steenhorst ()
Date: July 31, 2018 22:41

witterings
......and on the Saxophone and the Tequila, Bobby Keys ..............

US- Tour 1972

no it's From London Roundhouse in 1971

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home