Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Do you think the Stones should go on if Charlie retires
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 1, 2018 03:34

John Lennon never said Paul McCartney is the best drummer in The Beatles. That is horse hockey. Urban legend that never was said.

If Charlie retires... THey will inevitably do what they want. And people will still pay to see the name The Rolling Stones. Will I? Probably not. I have seen them enough now. Setlists are stagnant and the show is basically the same show it has been for the last 8 years. It was a great run though.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 1, 2018 03:37

jlowe
35love
Okay. Only Sheila E. I will only accept Sheila E
in lieu of Charlie
[en.m.wikipedia.org].

Nah...Paul McCartney would be an option.
He could fit his own schedule around The Stones none too demanding workload.
John Lennon once said 'Paul is the best drummer in The Beatles'.

No. He didnt. This 'Ringo isnt even the best drummer in the Beatles' quote came from the English comedian Jasper Carrott. Not only did Lennon not say it, but he wasnt even alive at the time.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 1, 2018 04:10

lem motlow
treaclefingers
yeababyyea
No!! without Charlie there' no soul left in this band.

i agree but I think Keith is (heart and) soul, mick is the head, and Charlie is the Skeletal structure.

Where does that leave Ronnie?

Ronnie Wood is a big fcking deal.drunk,high,fresh out of rehab,it didn’t matter.he showed up and played.
He wrote some really good songs and sometimes didn’t get credit,took an amazing amount of shit from the diva twins and never complained.he always did what was best for the band.
He didn’t quit without warning and show up later weighing 250 pounds and whining about song credits.cashing that check for co-writing its only rock and roll would’ve been nice but again,never complained.
Dude is a trooper and we’re lucky to have him.
Today, more than ever, Ronnie is essential for the band, if Wood would not be cleansed of alcohol, Jagger would never have agreed to continue with the Stones.
In 2007 when they made the last concert in London of the ABB tour, Mick was convinced that this was the last concert of the Stones. He changed his mind only when he realized that Ronnie was finally detoxified.
Today if you have ears and listen, Keith has handed the keys of the first guitar to Ronnie, keeping only those parts that need Keith's signature.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 1, 2018 04:28

completely ridiculous question.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2018 05:34

Testify
Today if you have ears and listen, Keith has handed the keys of the first guitar to Ronnie, keeping only those parts that need Keith's signature.

Yes cheers to Ronnie. thumbs up

As for as Keith's signature parts - like most old people, the signature has become a bit shaky and feeble yet there is still some familiar hints of it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 1, 2018 06:37

In fairness to crholmstrom, it was never claimed this was going to happen. It was asked should it happen. It was a question to fans to spur intelligent conversation and then it sort of took a turn for the worse.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 1, 2018 07:29

Okay, some morning baloney. Charlie is an integral part of the Stones sound. Just like Bill was. When Bill left, 20 percent of the Stones sound went. Never to be seen again. The same would happen if Charlie goes. They would be down to Stones 0.6. The guitar duo used to be the most important Stones element. They defined the sound. They don't anymore. They are both a shadow of their former selves. Most notably Keith. While not as important as the guitar duo both Bill and Charlie were more reliable musicians. They did never dip in quality. When Bill left he was as good as ever. So to answer the question: I don't think they should go on if Charlie leaves. Not as The Rolling Stones anyway.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 1, 2018 08:24

Stoneage
Okay, some morning baloney. Charlie is an integral part of the Stones sound. Just like Bill was. When Bill left, 20 percent of the Stones sound went. Never to be seen again. The same would happen if Charlie goes. They would be down to Stones 0.6. The guitar duo used to be the most important Stones element. They defined the sound. They don't anymore. They are both a shadow of their former selves. Most notably Keith. While not as important as the guitar duo both Bill and Charlie were more reliable musicians. They did never dip in quality. When Bill left he was as good as ever. So to answer the question: I don't think they should go on if Charlie leaves. Not as The Rolling Stones anyway.

Never thought of it that way,kinda like death by a thousand cuts.for years the Rhythm section was Keith,Bill and Charlie.having what’s left of Keith be the only thing remaining of the core is tough to think about.
If Mick did anything it would probably be with Jeff Beck at that point.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: August 1, 2018 09:40

Without Charlie the Stones would be another kind of band.
Without Charlie's drum sound the Stones lost their typical sound.

Date: August 1, 2018 10:39

wupperstein
Without Charlie the Stones would be another kind of band.
Without Charlie's drum sound the Stones lost their typical sound.

Agreed, although I really like classic Stones-tracks like Happy, YCAGWYW, IORR etc. where Charlie is MIA.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 1, 2018 11:05

Rocky Dijon
In fairness to crholmstrom, it was never claimed this was going to happen. It was asked should it happen. It was a question to fans to spur intelligent conversation and then it sort of took a turn for the worse.

Thanks, Rocky Dijon. You get what I was trying to accomplish for sure. & I did get some intelligent conversation out of the deal. Some interesting stuff beyond the usual here. Should be interesting to watch how the future unfolds. Except for the yearly NFL thread, this is the most response to a thread I started.

Date: August 1, 2018 11:17

My notion above is, of course, about the live band The Rolling Stones. In studio and on studio recordings they can go without Charlie. As they have done before. Most people wouldn't even notice it.

Date: August 1, 2018 11:26

Stoneage
My notion above is, of course, about the live band The Rolling Stones. In studio and on studio recordings they can go without Charlie. As they have done before. Most people wouldn't even notice it.

I suspect they would...

Date: August 1, 2018 11:33

Okey, Dandy. Correction: Most people here on IORR would notice it. Not the casual consumer though. By the way, I wonder how many album tracks there are without either Bill or Charlie on it. Or even both?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 1, 2018 11:51

I got the funny feeling this thread will go on right until the next tour announcement. smoking smiley

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 1, 2018 12:44

@ Stoneage,
Which songs are on LP's without Charly? (let it bleed) Jimmy Miller 1 song.(YCAGWYW).

I'm not an expert, and I don't want to look after it.

Date: August 1, 2018 12:52

tioms
@ Stoneage,
Which songs are on LP's without Charly? (let it bleed) Jimmy Miller 1 song.(YCAGWYW).

I'm not an expert, and I don't want to look after it.

+ Happy, IORR, Sleep Tonight, Too Rude etc.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 1, 2018 13:08

@ DandelionPowderman,
Thank you for your perfect knowledge, I appreciate that.
Greets,

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 1, 2018 13:39

Stoneage
Okey, Dandy. Correction: Most people here on IORR would notice it. Not the casual consumer though. By the way, I wonder how many album tracks there are without either Bill or Charlie on it. Or even both?

No bill AND charlie, I would say only Play with fire, the coda of Tumbling Dice, Sweet Black Angel (at least no drums by Charlie), Happy and Sleep Tonight.

C

Date: August 1, 2018 13:51

liddas
Stoneage

No bill AND charlie, I would say only Play with fire, the coda of Tumbling Dice, Sweet Black Angel (at least no drums by Charlie), Happy and Sleep Tonight.

C

Too Rude and IORR as well.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 1, 2018 13:53

Ok, 2nd thought here ...

TECHNICALLY, the band could continue without Charlie. Maybe Charley Drayton could be considered.

Sure they'ld sound differnet - but everything changes and the band even by now sounds differnet than some years before.

So - yes, they COULD go on, IMHO.

But if they would - that's the question! Actually, I doubt it, that they would...

Date: August 1, 2018 14:00

waterrats
Ok, 2nd thought here ...

TECHNICALLY, the band could continue without Charlie. Maybe Charley Drayton could be considered.

Sure they'ld sound differnet - but everything changes and the band even by now sounds differnet than some years before.

So - yes, they COULD go on, IMHO.

But if they would - that's the question! Actually, I doubt it, that they would...

He quit the Winos. Might not be Keith's first choice? smiling smiley

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 4, 2018 09:45

Hi Lem. I’d like to apologise to Keithsman I was a bit snarky with him.
Floppy hats are one thing but there is probably a mountain of corpses and survivors with wrecked lives who wanted to be like their hero and got into Heroin and the whole elegantly wasted BS. Not to pin all the blame on KR people have to take responsibility for their own decisions but you can see it in a million rockers from Izzy Stradlin etc to the sad (now) aged junkies you see on the streets. A KR fixation is bad for your health.

lem motlow
vertigojoe
Keithsman you remind me of my younger self before the scales had fallen from my eyes re “Keef”. He’s not actually quite as cool as you think he is. Tough to take I know but you’ll lead a better life when you accept this.

Go easy on em vert,you feel a little bit embarrassed for the Keithettes but they are just fans.we can laugh at them sitting there with their skull rings and waving a cigarette around just like the man himself but we were all young fanatics at one time,it’s good to have heroes.
Though It is amazing how pathetic Keith gets sometimes and how much they will ignore it .i could let the constant posing slide but when he took the Yves St Laurent deal and ended up wearing the same jacket onstage as Justin Bieber I could not stop laughing.you just can’t jump the shark worse than that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2018 09:53

Mister Marvin middle class is really in a stew
Wondering' what the younger generation's coming to
And the taste of his martini doesn't please his bitter tongue
Blame it on the rolling stones.

Blame it on the stones; blame it on the stones
You'll feel so much better, knowing you don't stand alone
Join the accusation; save the bleeding nation
Get it off your shoulders; blame it on the stones

Mother tells the ladies at the bridge club every day
Of the rising price of tranquilizers she must pay
And she wonders why the children never seem to stay at home
Blame it on the rolling stones.

You'll feel so much better, knowing you don't stand alone
Join the accusation; save the bleeding nation

Father's at the office, nightly working all the time
Trying to make the secretary change her little mind
And it bothers him to read about so many broken homes
Blame it on those rolling stones.

You'll feel so much better knowing you don't stand alone
Join the accusation; same the bleeding nation

Blame it on the stones, blame it on the stones.

Kris Kristofferson --- Blame It On The Stones

ROCKMAN

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 4, 2018 09:58

Haha. Worst track on otherwise awesome album!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 4, 2018 11:27

Yeah Rockman,

indeed Blame it on the Stones! No "Hanging Rock" twice (2014)... blame it on the Stones, but also ... endless fantastic experiences on soooo many other Stones concerts, yeah, blame it on the Stones. Parachute Woman in Boston ... blame it on the Stones. Arabian nights in Abu Dhabi ... blame it on the Stones. Drifting back to Zirkus Krone, Vredenburg, Olympia, La Plata, Havana, and so on and so on. Yeah, blame it on the Stones.
Well, as long as they give many more opportunities to blame anything on them, great! But ... I will never blame Charlie for whatever decision he makes or has to make (and neither the others off course)
smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2018 11:40

Yeah we all need someone we can blame on
Yeah, and if you want it, baby, well you can blame on me ………………..
S.A.G

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 5, 2018 00:42

No. No Charlie, no Stones.
Go watch Havana Moon Cuba 2016
after ‘Brown Sugar’ live
it cuts to a segment of clips
‘Loving Cup’ played in the background
and the 4 members speak (off camera, just their voices)
of each other.

Charlie looks in charge on this show.
MR shows Keith in front of Charlie’s drumkit, back to audience,
but a camera is on Keith’s face as he mouth’s over the roar
‘where are we?’ grinning then ‘we should stop’ and they nod time together shift the song

No. The 4 are a unit. Period.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 5, 2018 01:05

its far too late in the bands career for a change.

when one quits, the rolling stones should finish.

ofcourse individually other band members could if they wanted to continue as musicians, just not as the rolling stones.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: August 5, 2018 09:14

The Stones will last for sure as long as Keith is healthy. I think it all depends on him...physically, he appears to be the one who would have to bow out first. The physically strong people last the longest it seems.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home