Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Tour Announcement?
Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 4, 2018 19:28

Nothing better in this world than being up front at a Rolling Stones concert. Money comes and goes but memories last a lifetime!!!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 4, 2018 20:31

i hope they get back to europe soon, and uk too.

would love to do a couple of uk shows, plus 3 shows in different european cities.

would love another warsaw show, maybe prague, berlin or paris too.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 4, 2018 20:39

buttons67

would love to do a couple of uk shows, plus 3 shows in different european cities.

We've just had 28 shows in the UK (8) and Europe (20) in the space of 10 months. I don't think we'll see them back for a few years, if ever. I can see a 60th anniversary Grand Final e in London in 2022 then the full time whistle.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 4, 2018 20:47

it seems they are to good to quit though, i really think the band can last another 4 years, if they pace themselves and are blessed with good health. so i live in hope i see them again.

i dont want them to go on beyond 60 years for too long.

Posted by: kevos ()
Date: August 5, 2018 17:13

I live in the UK so that makes my chance of ever seeing them live almost zero. They are top of my Live Music Bucket List. Andy Copping has been trying to book them for Download since forever, seems no amount of cash can get em here.

Date: August 5, 2018 18:58

kevos
I live in the UK so that makes my chance of ever seeing them live almost zero. They are top of my Live Music Bucket List. Andy Copping has been trying to book them for Download since forever, seems no amount of cash can get em here.

Their 8 date U.K. tour in May and June was their biggest since 1990 and there’s no way they’ll do that again. Especially small stadia like Southampton and Coventry.

I believe they charge around 3-4 million quid a show. But they did Glasto for about a tenth of that as one off for the prestige of it. I do think there will be one or 2 more tours, almost certainly on other continents. Their level of performance shows they still have gas in the tank. I can see them shortening their tours to around 10 shows with a gap in the middle as Mick certainly had voice struggles at a couple of shows. They may even shorten the set, which has been 19 songs at most shows since 2003.

If they ever do come back to their homeland, I think it will be a 60th anniversary swansong in London in 2022 just like the 2012 one, with looney prices to match. I will Travel ticketless on the day and buy whatever I can get at a knockdown price, just as I did back then.

For the sake of their legacy, I hope they don’t carry on well into their dotage and rapidly decline like Chuck Berry did. I hope they end their live career with dignity. I’m confident they’ll pick the right time to stop. But we’re not there yet thumbs up.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2018 19:14

It would seem most appropriate for the band to finish touring in the UK - specifically London. Before these new rumours regarding a return to the US started gaining momentum (and before all the no Filter pt II dates were officially announced), it seemed that might have been plan. But with the addition of the final shows in Germany, France, Czech Republic, and Poland, it didn't seem as realistic that this could be the end. Seems they're coming back to the US to make as much money as humanly possible (health permitting), take another break, and hopefully/eventually return to where it all started...the 60th anniversary in England would be a perfect epilogue.

Date: August 5, 2018 19:31

Hairball
It would seem most appropriate for the band to finish touring in the UK - specifically London. Before these new rumours regarding a return to the US started gaining momentum (and before all the no Filter pt II dates were officially announced), it seemed that might have been plan. But with the addition of the final shows in Germany, France, Czech Republic, and Poland, it didn't seem as realistic that this could be the end. Seems they're coming back to the US to make as much money as humanly possible (health permitting), take another break, and hopefully/eventually return to where it all started...the 60th anniversary in England would be a perfect epilogue.

Yep - that’s roughly how I see it too. Their ticket pricing is actually quite clever in a way - they charge Tout (scalper to you) prices at the getgo then progressively drop until they all sell. Most touts will be too scared to hoover up tickets at the original prices for fear of taking a big loss.

So if I do travel over there next year (and I might), it will either be Lucky Dips or late drops. Bjornulf has strongly hinted at a US tour next year and with the No Filter stage only 28 gigs old, I think we’re odds on for a Zip Code Style stadium tour with the same stage.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 6, 2018 01:23

Hairball
grzegorz67
They seem to make an exception for Festival/Field shows as opposed to Stadium shows. 3 I can think of in the last 15 years are Zilker Park (2006), Indianapolis (2015) and Desert Trip (2016). I can't think of any stadium shows with GA and I think they'll repeat this next year (if it happens).

Over the border into Canada they had standing at SARS 2003 and Quebec 2015 - both field shows.

But these are exceptions. All of the things that led to the Cincinatti disaster of 1979 can be prevented by the use of floor sectors and better security. But as US Stones audiences tend to be older and richer and floor seating makes more money than standing, I think it will be all seats on the floor once again in all stadiums.

Now that you mention it, I can't think of any stadium shows in the US that have had standing in decades. They could pull it off as you say with floor sectors and better security, and the irony is that even though there are seats in these stadium shows, 99& of the people stand the whole time anyways. I remember the Voodoo Lounge tour at the Pasadena Rose Bowl, and everyone was actually standing on the seats themselves! And the fairly recent Zip Code show in San Diego - standing only and the rows of chairs were nothing but a nuisance. Makes me yearn for the good old days of the '81 tour where the entire L.A. Coliseum was GA first come first serve and all tickets were the same price - all under $20.00.

Los of bands do standing on the field. U2 last year, I think Pearl Jam is doing it this year, all festivals too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 6, 2018 01:40

daspyknows
Hairball
grzegorz67
They seem to make an exception for Festival/Field shows as opposed to Stadium shows. 3 I can think of in the last 15 years are Zilker Park (2006), Indianapolis (2015) and Desert Trip (2016). I can't think of any stadium shows with GA and I think they'll repeat this next year (if it happens).

Over the border into Canada they had standing at SARS 2003 and Quebec 2015 - both field shows.

But these are exceptions. All of the things that led to the Cincinatti disaster of 1979 can be prevented by the use of floor sectors and better security. But as US Stones audiences tend to be older and richer and floor seating makes more money than standing, I think it will be all seats on the floor once again in all stadiums.

Now that you mention it, I can't think of any stadium shows in the US that have had standing in decades. They could pull it off as you say with floor sectors and better security, and the irony is that even though there are seats in these stadium shows, 99& of the people stand the whole time anyways. I remember the Voodoo Lounge tour at the Pasadena Rose Bowl, and everyone was actually standing on the seats themselves! And the fairly recent Zip Code show in San Diego - standing only and the rows of chairs were nothing but a nuisance. Makes me yearn for the good old days of the '81 tour where the entire L.A. Coliseum was GA first come first serve and all tickets were the same price - all under $20.00.

Los of bands do standing on the field. U2 last year, I think Pearl Jam is doing it this year, all festivals too.

Yeah daspy, U2 was already mentioned along with Springsteen. Those happen to be bands I don't have much interest in seeing (if any interest at all), so was unaware.
As for festivals, yes I was aware - specifically those I attended the last couple of years - the Desert Trip shows and the more recent Arroyo Seco Festival.
Seems the fear of having festival seating in the US is not as big as it once was, and hope it continues with more bands going that route - including the Stones.

Date: August 6, 2018 02:09

Hairball
daspyknows
Hairball
grzegorz67

Yeah daspy, U2 was already mentioned along with Springsteen. Those happen to be bands I don't have much interest in seeing (if any interest at all), so was unaware.
As for festivals, yes I was aware - specifically those I attended the last couple of years - the Desert Trip shows and the more recent Arroyo Seco Festival.
Seems the fear of having festival seating in the US is not as big as it once was, and hope it continues with more bands going that route - including the Stones.

Even so, every Stones North American Tour since Steel Wheels in 1989 has routinely had seats on the field and I don't expect next year to be any different. The insurance is seemingly cheaper and they make more money.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 6, 2018 08:12

They will be on US soil and perhaps Canadian too next year.Hopefully in Spring/Summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 08:13 by babyblue.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 6, 2018 08:17

They owe Asia a tour, now. It's been 4 years.smileys with beer

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: August 6, 2018 17:22

DeanGoodman
35love

Oh dear I am morbidly small giggle San Diego Zip story guy takes his gal first Stones show, and somebody DID pass away next to them (I’m sorry)
they were in seated....
ambulance medics came removed body

Outrageous. If I die at a Stones show, please prop me up until the final bows - need to get my money's worth.

That was me. One of the craziest things that's ever happened. The guy slumped over and died on my then fiance's shoulder. Even more bizarre (for us, in an altered state) was that we watched the paramedics revive the guy and bring him back to life right in front of us. The timing was amazing. He died during the end of Gary Clark Jr's set. Just as they wheeled the guy away and put the chairs back, the house lights go down and its "Ladies and gentlemen, the Rolling Stones" and boom, the Jumpin Jack Flash riff. Unbelievable.

But getting back on topic, I'm thrilled to hear solid rumors/ plans for a 2019 US tour!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 6, 2018 22:59

Gaetzi
DeanGoodman
35love

Oh dear I am morbidly small giggle San Diego Zip story guy takes his gal first Stones show, and somebody DID pass away next to them (I’m sorry)
they were in seated....

Outrageous. If I die at a Stones show, please prop me up until the final bows - need to get my money's worth.

That was me. One of the craziest things that's ever happened. The guy slumped over and died on my then fiance's shoulder. Even more bizarre (for us, in an altered state) was that we watched the paramedics revive the guy and bring him back to life right in front of us. The timing was amazing. He died during the end of Gary Clark Jr's set. Just as they wheeled the guy away and put the chairs back, the house lights go down and its "Ladies and gentlemen, the Rolling Stones" and boom, the Jumpin Jack Flash riff. Unbelievable.

But getting back on topic, I'm thrilled to hear solid rumors/ plans for a 2019 US tour!

#1 Stones story LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 23:00 by 35love.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 7, 2018 18:17

kevos
I live in the UK so that makes my chance of ever seeing them live almost zero. They are top of my Live Music Bucket List.

The Stones visited you in May/June. You weren't home?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 7, 2018 19:14

35love
Gaetzi
DeanGoodman
35love

they were in seated....

#1 Stones story LOL

In 1975 at MSG we were sitting in the first row next to the stage and during Midnight Rambler people started jumping over the rail to the floor so they could get closer to the stage. Unfortunately it meant we were kicked, jostled, etc. and it got very annoying. Suddenly one guy jumped the rail, his foot got caught and he landed smack on his head. There was a very loud CRACK! which you could hear over the music, and he sprawled out, completely limp. The ushers ran over, put him in a wheel chair, and wheeled him away. I didn't hear of anyone dying but from my perspective it looked like he broke his neck. Great show.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 18, 2018 08:27

buttons67

I think you got a bit of a wait on your hands.

Posted by: MWasilewski ()
Date: August 18, 2018 13:30

grzegorz67
buttons67

We've just had 28 shows in the UK (8) and Europe (20) in the space of 10 months. I don't think we'll see them back for a few years, if ever. I can see a 60th anniversary Grand Final e in London in 2022 then the full time whistle.

To be honest, I recently started to think of them more as a band of blues origins. I know, it's obvious but it was usually overlooked by me. But with such a point of view I really see them working like all these blues Gods like B. B. King, Buddy Guy, i.e., till the very end (fingers crossed for Buddy Guy). I mean, there was a time when I thought that they do tours for money. Right now I think it is basically they must, they need to play and the money is just a nice byproduct.

I really see them doing it in their 80s, of course in some other, maybe more low-key form.

What I'm worrying about is that there are four of them, so the probability of overall health problems is bigger than for the solo acts.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: August 18, 2018 17:12

they've been always a rhythm ad blues band my friend

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 18, 2018 20:56

grzegorz67
kevos

Their 8 date U.K. tour in May and June was their biggest since 1990 and there’s no way they’ll do that again. Especially small stadia like Southampton and Coventry.

I believe they charge around 3-4 million quid a show. But they did Glasto for about a tenth of that as one off for the prestige of it. I do think there will be one or 2 more tours, almost certainly on other continents. Their level of performance shows they still have gas in the tank. I can see them shortening their tours to around 10 shows with a gap in the middle as Mick certainly had voice struggles at a couple of shows. They may even shorten the set, which has been 19 songs at most shows since 2003.

If they ever do come back to their homeland, I think it will be a 60th anniversary swansong in London in 2022 just like the 2012 one, with looney prices to match. I will Travel ticketless on the day and buy whatever I can get at a knockdown price, just as I did back then.

For the sake of their legacy, I hope they don’t carry on well into their dotage and rapidly decline like Chuck Berry did. I hope they end their live career with dignity. I’m confident they’ll pick the right time to stop. But we’re not there yet thumbs up.
Holy Crap! If they ever get as horrible as CB got I will have my tattoo removed!!! Saw CB at Long Beach blues festival probably seven or eight years ago...not just embarrassing but downright terrible...Jagger would never let the band end up like that...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 18, 2018 22:37

there might be something next week.
jeroen

Posted by: MWasilewski ()
Date: August 19, 2018 14:59

mariano
they've been always a rhythm ad blues band my friend

Yes, but it was sometimes overshadowed in my mind by "the greatest rock band".

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 19, 2018 15:14

Mick did post on Instagram that he is “back to it.”

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: August 19, 2018 16:34

I agree

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 19, 2018 19:20

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home