Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Tour Announcement?
Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: August 3, 2018 02:52

bye bye johnny
Van Halen and shows seems mutually exclusive. Their own website hasn't been updated since 2015.

I follow Van Halen News Desk.

Anything current that happens is on there, and lotsa good flashbacks for the history books!

My first stop daily is IORR, then off to vhnd.com.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: August 3, 2018 04:51

GAFF
It's too bad Shidoobee is on life support. I spent 18 years on that board and never saw the kind of toxic and adversarial arguments there that seem to be so prevalent here. I just don't see why some people can't be more civil in their debates with others. Sad sad sad

Well said Gaff!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 3, 2018 05:15

35love

Oh dear I am morbidly small giggle San Diego Zip story guy takes his gal first Stones show, and somebody DID pass away next to them (I’m sorry)
they were in seated....
ambulance medics came removed body

Outrageous. If I die at a Stones show, please prop me up until the final bows - need to get my money's worth.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 3, 2018 06:45

I hadn’t been on here in a day or two and saw this thread had grown by 2 pages, I was a tad excited, thought BV might have posted something, alas it’s 2 pages of pissing and moaning with the odd wise word thrown in. Bollocks anyway! grinning smiley

My take on gigs at this point is promoters pester bands with offers, they offer X amount of money and the band says yes. The promoter shafts the punter more than the band. Ticketbastard don’t help either with their fees. The Licky Dip tickets is likely the bands input and idea. The ticket prices are mental, for gigs in general. Guns N Roses VIP tickets cost $1500 and you don’t meet the band. I met Slash for @#$%& all outside a club in Vancouver after a $75 gig. Record sales are dead compared to what they were, rock music has not been the choice of youth since the early 90s. Touring is where the money is now. I was lucky to see The Stones from GC, GA, Seated right down the back, PIT & GC. So every vantage point. The best was right down the back night 2 London. The PIT was LD, GC was LD, sitting full price, GC full price. I got a £400 ticket for £30 (thanks to roadster32) and a GC ticket for £30 (thanks to Lady William)

Live music is not going to get cheaper, the last years of rock music are coming, the last wave of bands like Oasis, Pearl Jam are already entering their 50s. The who, u2, Neil young, Dylan, the stones, it’s all over in 20/25 years. We will be screwed between now and then. Guns N Roses reissued Appetite For Destruction last month and it costs $1000 for the super deluxe version. Gigs are expensive and getting more so... The shirts, Lithos are a new form of extortion, signed CDs, etc etc.

At this point The Stones are the most valuable Rock N Roll band on the planet. They’re still alive and still playing live. A promoters dream.

I expect a guy like Keith Richards is going to mug me and rob me. He carries guns, knives & was a junkie for years. I expect a guy who went to the London School of Economics to rip me off. It what he wanted to learn. How to make money.

This is the world now. Live music as a thing people did at the weekends is long over. I don’t like it, it pisses me off. I saw The Stones in the point depot twice in 03 and it was GA. Whoever wanted to get close queued from early that day. The real fans got to the front. A better system is a pit and the first on the queue gets a wristband. You can go for a piss and get a drink and some food.

The things I remember from the shows I saw earlier this year and other years are the people I met, places I was, people who were with me, sometimes the support act and how good the band was. How great it is to still hear this band play live, and forget about life while they are onstage. That’s worth £30 and more to me.

There’s shite everywhere, sidestep it and move on. We don’t have these guys at whatever price for much longer.

Now I’ve pissed and moaned spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 3, 2018 08:23

Paulhanrahan
GAFF
It's too bad Shidoobee is on life support. I spent 18 years on that board and never saw the kind of toxic and adversarial arguments there that seem to be so prevalent here. I just don't see why some people can't be more civil in their debates with others. Sad sad sad

Well said Gaff![/quote

Sh...life support? Please fill me in.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 3, 2018 12:50

Paddy
I hadn’t been on here in a day or two and saw this thread had grown by 2 pages, I was a tad excited, thought BV might have posted something, alas it’s 2 pages of pissing and moaning with the odd wise word thrown in. Bollocks anyway! grinning smiley

My take on gigs at this point is promoters pester bands with offers, they offer X amount of money and the band says yes. The promoter shafts the punter more than the band. Ticketbastard don’t help either with their fees. The Licky Dip tickets is likely the bands input and idea. The ticket prices are mental, for gigs in general. Guns N Roses VIP tickets cost $1500 and you don’t meet the band. I met Slash for @#$%& all outside a club in Vancouver after a $75 gig. Record sales are dead compared to what they were, rock music has not been the choice of youth since the early 90s. Touring is where the money is now. I was lucky to see The Stones from GC, GA, Seated right down the back, PIT & GC. So every vantage point. The best was right down the back night 2 London. The PIT was LD, GC was LD, sitting full price, GC full price. I got a £400 ticket for £30 (thanks to roadster32) and a GC ticket for £30 (thanks to Lady William)

Live music is not going to get cheaper, the last years of rock music are coming, the last wave of bands like Oasis, Pearl Jam are already entering their 50s. The who, u2, Neil young, Dylan, the stones, it’s all over in 20/25 years. We will be screwed between now and then. Guns N Roses reissued Appetite For Destruction last month and it costs $1000 for the super deluxe version. Gigs are expensive and getting more so... The shirts, Lithos are a new form of extortion, signed CDs, etc etc.

At this point The Stones are the most valuable Rock N Roll band on the planet. They’re still alive and still playing live. A promoters dream.

I expect a guy like Keith Richards is going to mug me and rob me. He carries guns, knives & was a junkie for years. I expect a guy who went to the London School of Economics to rip me off. It what he wanted to learn. How to make money.

This is the world now. Live music as a thing people did at the weekends is long over. I don’t like it, it pisses me off. I saw The Stones in the point depot twice in 03 and it was GA. Whoever wanted to get close queued from early that day. The real fans got to the front. A better system is a pit and the first on the queue gets a wristband. You can go for a piss and get a drink and some food.

The things I remember from the shows I saw earlier this year and other years are the people I met, places I was, people who were with me, sometimes the support act and how good the band was. How great it is to still hear this band play live, and forget about life while they are onstage. That’s worth £30 and more to me.

There’s shite everywhere, sidestep it and move on. We don’t have these guys at whatever price for much longer.

Now I’ve pissed and moaned spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Imho, excellent post and a very accurate account of where we are with the live music scene. I don't know of any other artists who do anything like Lucky Dips so hats off to the Stones for at least doing that.

I had only planned to see 4 or 5 UK shows on this tour but when I saw how cheap dips were here, I decided to do the lot + Prague. If you pull up a rubbish ticket with your Lucky Dip, do not despair - you're in the house. Sniff around for upgrade opportunities and more often than not, you'll get one. Even if it means finding an empty much better seat further forward.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 3, 2018 13:19

It is the usual story about the "half full" or "half empty" beer glass.

There are millions of Stones fans, and thousands post here on IORR. Some are super positive and see half full beer glasses and opportunities everywhere. Others see the problems and challenges with Stones tours. Money, travel, health, family, time, mixed emotions.

You want to go but you hate to spend time and money on it. May be loving the Stones got into a habit, just like smoking or drinking, the habit stays but you can't understand why you got other priorities. It is natural to be confused.

Bjornulf

Date: August 3, 2018 13:38

I'm happy with the £90 tickets I got for this tour. Why should I complain?

I don't have to be in the pit to enjoy a great show (but more power to the ones that enjoy that the most) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-03 13:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 3, 2018 15:00

bv
It is the usual story about the "half full" or "half empty" beer glass.

There are millions of Stones fans, and thousands post here on IORR. Some are super positive and see half full beer glasses and opportunities everywhere. Others see the problems and challenges with Stones tours. Money, travel, health, family, time, mixed emotions.

You want to go but you hate to spend time and money on it. May be loving the Stones got into a habit, just like smoking or drinking, the habit stays but you can't understand why you got other priorities. It is natural to be confused.

Have been a fan since 1973.seen them 38 times till now. The 2017 n 2018 gigs were brilliant.happy to be a Stones fan.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-03 19:12 by corriecas.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 3, 2018 15:15

Go ahead, bite the Big Apple, don't mind the maggots

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 3, 2018 17:11

35love
stickyfingers101
Hairball
keefriff99
bye bye johnny
Hairball
Now that you mention it, I can't think of any stadium shows in the US that have had standing in decades.

Springsteen.
Springsteen, U2, Metallica...just three standing stadium shows I've been to in the last few years.

Good to know, and maybe there's hope the Stones will follow suit and get rid of all the unnecessary chairs for the upcoming tour.
If people really need a seat for whatever reason, there's plenty of them available off of the field.

Don't count on the Stones following suit. I think the lack of GA concerts in the US (probably) has something to do w/ insurance costs. Probably costs more for GA insurance-wise....especially b/c over here in the US we love to sue anybody and everybody for everything. Some old geezer dies of heat-stroke in the GA pit and his family will blame it on the venue, the Stones and anybody else they can think of...the lawyers don't give a s__t if the case is valid or not...sue, sue, sue.

Stones will probably say "why pay more for insurance if we don't have to?"

Sad, but true....to reference Metallica.

Disclaimer: No idea if any of this is true, just speculating.

*very interesting (and horrid/ sue sue sue people).
But, a folding chair is okay to heat stroke out?
Oh dear I am morbidly small giggle San Diego Zip story guy takes his gal first Stones show, and somebody DID pass away next to them (I’m sorry)
they were in seated....

Good point - one can def heat-stroke out in a seat, but I just think the likelihood is less than GA.

my opinion is that the lawyers will say: If everybody has a seat and seats are "properly spaced" w/ "easy" access to exit, than nobody can claim they were crammed in like sardines in a GA Pit (and "couldn't get out"), thus "causing" the heatstroke

again...just my speculation, but I imagine GA costs more insurance-wise b/c of this

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer or a doctor and have zero to do w/ concert-promotion/booking etc....I'm just your average dumba__ living in the Land of Frivolous Lawsuits.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 3, 2018 17:56

reg thorpe
Go ahead, bite the Big Apple, don't mind the maggots

Of course, and the temptation is always there - maggots, warts, and all.

Unlike some, I've never given up on the Stones or refused to see them - I've been to at least one show per tour since '81, and on some of those tours many times. Having seen them up close in theaters, clubs, arenas, and stadiums around the world - at this point just being in the house of any show is good enough. That said, I've been known in the past to maneuver and self upgrade if the initial seats weren't up to snuff (a couple of nosebleed Lucky Dips for example), but more often than not I make sure I have a decent seat to begin with. While being in the Pit is great fun, I actually prefer to be further back to soak in the entire vibe. In the meantime, can't think of a better place than here to be able to discuss, analyze, and dissect some of the business aspects, the pricing strategies, and the all around shenanigans. Every one has a different take, and while some are willing to look at it critically, other are able to justify and defend it all - there's usually something to be learned from all perspectives. But as the setlists grow shorter and become more warhorse-ridden while the prices increase with every passing tour, I have to wonder how far can they take it, and question whether it's even worth it to see them again. Ultimately, as long as the Stones keep on rolling, the temptation will always be there. Looking forward to their return to the US...I think.

saltoftheearth
being a Stones fan is not being a fanatic but living with a band for over 40 years with ist ups and downs. They need our critizism as much as they need our adoration. It's as simple as that.

Amen. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-03 18:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 3, 2018 19:04

The tour in Europe this summer gave us some of their best shows. Just read the reports. They toured North America in 2013 and 2015, with a few bonus shows in 2012 and 2016. When they tour North America next year it will be for the first tour in four - 4 - years. I would advice any Stones fans in the area to spend a day and go see them. No Stopping, they say, but we don't know where they will be another four years on. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 3, 2018 19:27

bv
The tour in Europe this summer gave us some of their best shows. Just read the reports. They toured North America in 2013 and 2015, with a few bonus shows in 2012 and 2016. When they tour North America next year it will be for the first tour in four - 4 - years. I would advice any Stones fans in the area to spend a day and go see them. No Stopping, they say, but we don't know where they will be another four years on. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Love how real the rumors are becoming... cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 3, 2018 19:40

bv

Yes, I'll make an effort to be there rain or shine, through hell and high water.
While the recent shows definitely seemed a step above the Desert Trip shows, and clearly far better than the *Vegas '16 show, the majority of the setlists leave a bit to be desired imo. Love all the warhorses of course, but maybe something original that's not older than 37 years would be nice. Maybe they'll have the new album out by then, and play a new song or two? Whatever the case, when the Stones are on tour in the US, I'll make an effort to be there to witness it, including the good, the bad, and the ugly - warts and all.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: August 3, 2018 19:47

bv

Thanks, BV!

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: August 3, 2018 19:58

bv

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: August 3, 2018 19:59

Thank you BV!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 3, 2018 20:32

bv

Thanks BV.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 3, 2018 20:35

bv

Hoping we Canucks get a good handful of dates this time. My wallet would sure appreciate it! Also hoping to lure another wicked little international band here for a club gig... winking smiley

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: August 3, 2018 21:06

SomeTorontoGirl

Hoping we Canucks get a good handful of dates this time. My wallet would sure appreciate it! Also hoping to lure another wicked little international band here for a club gig... winking smiley

Unless the Canadian dollar improves drastically, you will be driving to Buffalo!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 3, 2018 21:07

SomeTorontoGirl
bv

I certainly hope you get some shows as I would love to attend as I’m banned from entering Trumps backyard.

Nate

Date: August 3, 2018 21:49

Saying "Good-Bye and see you next time..." in Warsaw to a core crew member I've known for years now his reply was "...next year...".

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 3, 2018 23:57

Nate
I certainly hope you get some shows as I would love to attend as I’m banned from entering Trumps backyard.
Nate

Banned? Wow! Self-imposed, or did you make fun of his hands?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 4, 2018 05:12

DeanGoodman
35love

they were in seated....

Outrageous. If I die at a Stones show, please prop me up until the final bows - need to get my money's worth.

It will be uploaded on utube for your next of kin before you hit the morgue.
#nodeadbodiesintheseats

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 4, 2018 11:04

bv
The tour in Europe this summer gave us some of their best shows. Just read the reports. They toured North America in 2013 and 2015, with a few bonus shows in 2012 and 2016. When they tour North America next year it will be for the first tour in four - 4 - years. I would advice any Stones fans in the area to spend a day and go see them. No Stopping, they say, but we don't know where they will be another four years on.

Satisfaction guaranteed.

Thanks BV. I plan to go to at least 2-3shows. Hopefully this mini tour will be changed to medium say 8 dates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-04 11:06 by babyblue.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: August 4, 2018 11:43

potus43
Tour announced Nov-Dec my sources confirmed

While it is sounding more likely that the US could be next, I'm still holding onto hope that Australia is also on the cards. If an announcement were made in November that would be 5 years to the month when the 14 on Fire Australian leg was announced (with the shows originally planned for March).

Posted by: kevos ()
Date: August 4, 2018 13:53

It needs to be a while to give the crew a break. I initially really wanted to work the No Filter tour. After speaking to a few of my co-worker mates who did do it, Im kinda glad I didn't. 2 days off in 34 days !

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: August 4, 2018 14:31

ChrisMahavishnu
potus43
Tour announced Nov-Dec my sources confirmed

While it is sounding more likely that the US could be next, I'm still holding onto hope that Australia is also on the cards. If an announcement were made in November that would be 5 years to the month when the 14 on Fire Australian leg was announced (with the shows originally planned for March).
Done Deal !

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: August 4, 2018 14:43

TKinOH
bye bye johnny
Van Halen and shows seems mutually exclusive. Their own website hasn't been updated since 2015.

I follow Van Halen News Desk.

Anything current that happens is on there, and lotsa good flashbacks for the history books!

It's a great site, but heavy on flashback stuff...I was hoping something would happen this year, what with the 40th anniversary of VH's debut album...what a waste of talent, Eddie needs to be bitchslapped. And I certainly don't want any Van Hagar reunion, I'm praying that the originals get together so that I can finally see them (its scandalous I haven't seen them yet, I lived in San Marino California for a while and even worked for DLR's dad for a year or two)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home