Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: What are the best Rolling Stones biographies?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 23, 2018 07:56

I largely agree with all of that, hopkins. LIFE knocked Keith off the pedestal I'd had him on since my teen years.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 23, 2018 09:02

benstones
Bliss
Up and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez

It will blow the top of your head off.

Edited!!

Thanks for your answer!!

[www.amazon.com]

This one, right??

I don't know whether this is a faithful re-issue of the original edition, but yes. There was a re-issue of this book some time ago called 'I Was Keith Richard's Drug Dealer' that had been changed.

Date: July 23, 2018 09:06

I would also recommend the biography and autobiography of Marianne Faithfull. At least 3/4 of both are about her time with Mick.

Another good read is 'Even the Bad Time Were Good' by June Shelley. She was Keith's nanny at Nellcote.

Victor Bockris' bio of Keith has some value.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 23, 2018 09:32

It's worth remembering that many of so called 'biographies' are not a lot more than the result of several afternoons (originally) searching the cuttings library of a compliant publisher, or more recently a day or so refining the "author's" Google-Fu

A good biography depends on good and detailed research and fact checking. That's why The Beatles are so well served by Mark Lewisohn. He takes nothing for granted and he researches his work right back to what real academics would refer to as Primary Sources.

An autobiography actually written by the subject, will almost always get my vote as it provides a unique first hand, unfiltered insight into events. (See footnote about The Beatles)

In the world of The Rolling Stones there are few such quality works, but (in no particular order) this is the list I'd suggest.

"Stone Alone" - Bill Wyman. Remember that this man keeps a diary. He has kept a diary every day since he was a lad. What he writes survives fact checking. It's a terrible shame that he has not published a successor volume, or even the original far longer manuscript for "Stone Alone".

"Ronnie" - Ron Wood.

"Under Their Thumb" - Bill German

"Phelge's Stones" - James Phelge. (Title is exactly what I've written as it's in my dedicated, signed, UK first edition)

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" - Sam Cutler.

"Shout" - Philip Norman. A good introduction.

"Stoned" - Andrew Loog Oldham

Honorable Mention.
"True Adventures" - Stanley Booth. Great read but as it's only about a fairly short time frame, it has less real value.

Nothing really worthwhile about Mick or Brian (everything I've read seems to be written simply to sensationalise their lives), Stu (only one book that I know about, but I need to win the lottery to be able to afford to but it as it's a very limited edition), or Charlie (this reflects his private persona).

Footnote. Before they were famous, The (Silver) Beatles went on a tour of Scotland in a van as the backing band for someone called Johnny Gentle. It's called "Johnny Gentle and The Beatles : First Ever Tour - Scotland 1960". It's most definitely not the best work of literature I have in my collection, but it's certainly one of the best books. Someone who was there writes with passion and experience in the first hand about otherwise rarely documented events. Love it.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 23, 2018 10:25

One of my favourites is the aforementioned Bill German's with it's slightly different angle from a fan's perspective (and one who got very lucky with his fanzine and taken in to the sanctum). The first I ever read was Mick Jagger by Anthony Scaduto I didn't realise it at the time as I was young but with hindsight it was total trash.

As a slight aside I always think Marlon Richards would produce a cracking biography (if he was interested).

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 23, 2018 12:16

hopkins
Honetly no offense intended, many enjoyed it; he did a wide interview tour that fans enjoyed and etc..
...but I'd venture that the Keith interviews that they put together for "Life,"
as colorfully controversial and dramatic as all that was,
...(as far as a then-current peek at the Glims Romance Saga.)...

...would be the Least likely biography of substantive note;

It's essential in that it's revealing regarding the pre stones years, the time when they were all coming together, various music parts are interesting too, a bit...

but also it's really interesting to see what he deemed as important to include and not include in it. Also, his revisionism regarding the start of the band.

To have all his thoughts in one place, he comes across really quite bitterly. You get the impression going over some of his past was quite painful for him.

He seems to have carried bile within him over so many things for so many years.

He has super won at life, main musical cat in one of the best bands ever, amazing wife and family, riches we can only dream of... but, yet here he is being bitter and mean about things from 40-50 years ago.

It's definitely KEEF the character speaking to us in the book, I hope he's not like that 24/7.

Re The Rolling Stones...

Rolling Stone 1971: "The Rolling Stones was Brian's baby!"

In Life: "Ian Stewart. I'm still working for him. To me The Rolling Stones is his band"

Re the Brian-Anita, Morocco incident...

In Mandy Aftel book: "It wasn't some Sir Galahad number!"

In Life: "Sir Galahad again..."

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-23 12:23 by His Majesty.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 23, 2018 13:32

Not a biography or book but that first interview Keith did for Rolling Stone (interview with Robert Greenfield) is a full detailed account and is quite extensive, of the Stones' beginnings. Lots of observations on music in general too.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 23, 2018 13:41

Up and Down With the Rolling Stones, and the Stanley Booth book about the 1969 tour. If you read anything by Robert Greenfield besides the STP book you'd be better off p ! $ $ ing into the wind.

Date: July 23, 2018 14:44

ROLLINGSTONE
One of my favourites is the aforementioned Bill German's with it's slightly different angle from a fan's perspective (and one who got very lucky with his fanzine and taken in to the sanctum). The first I ever read was Mick Jagger by Anthony Scaduto I didn't realise it at the time as I was young but with hindsight it was total trash.

As a slight aside I always think Marlon Richards would produce a cracking biography (if he was interested).

Better remember that Keith and Ronnie wanted Bill to be the bag man for their drugs being sent to Japan! Bill could have ended up in jail just as Freddie Sessler did. But Freddie was made of stronger stuff than young American Bill. Bill did a great, long video about the book and his time with the Stones, Under Their Thumb.

Marlon will never write a bio, and neither will any of the Stones' children. The best bio, one written by Anita Pallenberg, was never written. Everyone is on the payroll.

The absolute worst bio was by Laura Jackson, called Golden Stone. She idealised Brian and demonises Mick, to an extreme. Also, it's one corny cliché after another, terrible writing. But I think she was the first to finger the builders as Brian's murderers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-23 18:21 by Bliss.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 23, 2018 14:55

Date: July 23, 2018 15:32

duke richardson
Not a biography or book but that first interview Keith did for Rolling Stone (interview with Robert Greenfield) is a full detailed account and is quite extensive, of the Stones' beginnings. Lots of observations on music in general too.

Yup, and a go to source for so many books that came after it. grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 23, 2018 16:52

ROLLINGSTONE

Yes..Scaduto's book on Mick was trashy.
BUT the same author had written a very good and acclaimed book on Dylan a few years previously.
So was it a case of the Publishers wanting him to dig the dirt on Mick....or was it that (in comparison to Dylan) he found little of substance to write about. Other than sex, drugs etc.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 24, 2018 08:07

And with all those books we never even get close to Mick. We walk away not really getting a clearer picture of what he's really like or about.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2018 09:37

,...… sneaky devil that Mick aint he …… hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: July 24, 2018 10:31

24FPS
And with all those books we never even get close to Mick. We walk away not really getting a clearer picture of what he's really like or about.

Indeed.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: July 24, 2018 14:58

Bill German and James Phelge's book offer a unique view into the Stones, from sources that for different reasons were in the middle of the action they write about.

Date: July 24, 2018 16:36

His Majesty
24FPS

Indeed.

That is why I recommended Mark Paytress's book. Mick was a lot less guarded in the past.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 24, 2018 21:17

Up and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez (really blew my mind as an impressionable kid )

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 25, 2018 07:52

STP Stones Touring Party about the 72 tour. Don't remember who the author is but it was my BIBLE during the 70s whilst in high school.

Date: July 25, 2018 08:51

StonedAsia
STP Stones Touring Party about the 72 tour. Don't remember who the author is but it was my BIBLE during the 70s whilst in high school.

The very same Robert Greenfield who wrote A Season in Hell: Exile on Main Street some 46 years later.

Posted by: astmalia ()
Date: July 26, 2018 20:16

In the seventies, I liked: The Rolling Stones - An illustrated record by Roy Carr

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 26, 2018 21:37

Rockman
,...… sneaky devil that Mick aint he …… hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 26, 2018 22:33

Rolling Stones by David Dalton 1972

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 27, 2018 16:25

24FPS

"We" (westerners) will never understand the Japanese ... or ...the Chinese ...
I heard that so often. Rubbish. It's all a matter of efford and deeply serious interest.
Mick is no mistery, he is just like you and me. Misterious people are made up in the minds of those who either love mistery or don't have the quality to go into things more deeply. His fame "forced" him to hide behind a veil (from time to time), but ... he doesn't control that veil!
smileys with beer

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 2, 2018 15:47

I just finished reading Sam Cutler's book You Can't Always Get What You Want. I thought it was really well done as it presented the 1969 Stones tour from his perspective, and his tenure as road manager for the Dead following Altamont in the early 70's with very entertaining detail. The guy was there. I was amazed at how Altamont was actually even more messed up than was generally documented, the people behind the scenes that were responsible, and how it all went down in general. I liked this book a great deal because it didn't fall off in quality as some books after the mid way point. This one was a very good read cover to cover imo.

While I have unfortunately not read the Ron Schneider book yet I look forward to his take from that same period of time. I am sure it is lively stuff.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: January 7, 2020 22:55

Loved the Ronnie Schneider book. And Andrew Oldham's books. And Bill Wyman's. And Keith's. Phelge's book was fantastic! Tony Sanchez had too much bs in his book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-07 22:56 by quietbeatle.

Date: January 7, 2020 22:58

Phelge's book is my favourite thumbs up

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 8, 2020 00:53

I've got:

Keith Richards by Victor Bockris
Mick Jagger: Primitive Cool by Christopher Sandford
Brian Jones: The Making of the Rolling Stones by Paul Trynka

Robert Greenfield's "Exile on Main St.: A Season in Hell with the Rolling Stones"

and a few coffee table books ("According to the Rolling Stones" and "A Life on the Road")

All have been fun to read, though the accuracy of any of them are not for me to define!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 20:17 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 8, 2020 01:05

The Stones really need a Mark Lewishon.
I cannot see that happening whilst the group are still 'active', however.
Also, some degree of official cooperation from the band members and/or heirs would be helpful (though not essential).

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 8, 2020 09:39

Keith’s book is probably the last one I would recommend.hes turned into such a bullshit artist.
The rule of thumb with him is if his lips are moving he’s lying.
Check his recollection of Brian being “fired “ from 25x5 and The Rolling Stone interview from 1971. It’s laughable.
Spanish Tony’s book is amazing- when his integrity is questioned I always think “ and you were where in relation to what was happening to question his story? “ “that’s enough Tony,no further”indeed.
Barbara Charone was living with Keith and Anita at Nellcote. If you read her book it ends at them leaving for Toronto in 77. If you read Chet Flippos coverage in RS magazine you get a blow by blow account.
That guy who followed Jagger around on the 69 tour wrote a pretty good book also from what I’ve heard.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1301
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home