Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
What are the best Rolling Stones biographies?
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: July 22, 2018 00:22

Hello everyone!

I would like to know what are the best biographies/autobiographies about the Stones.

Obviously, "Life" from Keith is probably the best, I already read it, but I am looking for another book that talks about the Rolling Stones, or Mick or Keith but please NO GOSSIP books ("Mick that slept with XXX women" doesn't really interests me).

Books in English, French or Spanish are welcome smiling smiley

Thank you very much for your help thumbs up

Benjamin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-22 00:23 by benstones.

Re: What are the best Rolling Stones biographies?
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 22, 2018 00:35

Define ‘the best’: most detailed, most pictures, mostgossip, ...?

Date: July 22, 2018 00:39

Koen
Define ‘the best’: most detailed, most pictures, mostgossip, ...?

Most detailed. I don't mind about the pictures and I don't care about the gossips.

Like the REAL story of the Stones smiling smiley
Good anecdotes too.

Does it help you??

Benjamin.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 22, 2018 01:54

These to me are essential for multi points of view info on the band from the people involved.

Stone Alone & Rolling With The Stones by Bill Wyman.

Life by Keith Richards.

Stoned & 2Stoned by Andrew Loog Oldham.

I add these as they have great especially done interviews and comments for the specific books before all the stock replies took over and heavy borrowing from other sources by biographers.

Brian Jones: Death of a Rolling Stone by Mandy Aftel.

Keith Richards by Barbara Charone.

Dance With The Devil aka The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones by Stanley Booth.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-22 02:03 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 22, 2018 02:06

YEAH !!! ….. cant argue with that pile HM … eeeessential for sure …..

ROCKMAN

Date: July 22, 2018 02:10

His Majesty
These to me are essential for multi points of view info on the band from the people involved.

Stone Alone & Rolling With The Stones by Bill Wyman.

Life by Keith Richards.

Stoned & 2Stoned by Andrew Loog Oldham.

I add these as they have great especially done interviews and comments for the specific books before all the stock replies took over and heavy borrowing from other sources by biographers.

Brian Jones: Death of a Rolling Stone by Mandy Aftel.

Dance With The Devil aka The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones by Stanley Booth.

Thanks a lot for this selection smiling smiley

Benjamin.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 22, 2018 04:16

'Rolling Stones - an unauthorized biography in words, photographs, and music' - by David Dalton 1972 is a good mix of previous stories on the group. It really brought me up to speed on Brian Jones.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 22, 2018 06:52

Up and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez

It will blow the top of your head off.

Edited!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-22 17:39 by Bliss.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 22, 2018 07:25

Bliss
Down and Out with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez

Just ordered on Ebay.. have never read before, looking forward to it.
Hope it's the one recommended though as it was called "Up and Down with the Rolling Stones",, cool smiley

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 22, 2018 07:35

Nankering With The Rolling Stones - by James Phelge.

This is my favourite.

Here's a well written and very entertaining book about the formative years of the Stones
Phelge lived with Mick, Keith and Brian in the (in)famous flat in Edith Grove, so unlike many authors he tells it as it was. You actually feel you are there. A great read that will have you laughing out loud at the antics they got up to.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 22, 2018 11:54

Sam Cutler -You Can't Always Get What You Want was a great read about 1969 tour

Date: July 22, 2018 12:22

The Mandy Aftel book is the only time Keith has done an interview specifically for a Brian Jones book.

A large chunck of the Barbara Charon book is Keith talking about Brian. It's almost a Brian Jones biography through Keith's eyes.

Taken together you get a lot of details from Keith about his thoughts on Brian, the three way relationship with Mick, Keith and Brian etc.

It's interesting to compare these two sets of interviews/comments with how he say's things in Life from 2010. What he left out, what he changed.

smileys with beer

Happy reading!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-22 12:48 by His Majesty.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 22, 2018 12:48

benstones
Hello everyone!

I would like to know what are the best biographies/autobiographies about the Stones.

Obviously, "Life" from Keith is probably the best, I already read it, but I am looking for another book that talks about the Rolling Stones, or Mick or Keith but please NO GOSSIP books ("Mick that slept with XXX women" doesn't really interests me).

I have read around 30 different books on the Rolling Stones (partly due to some former fanclub activities), the ones (good suggestions, even the too sensational one from Sanchez) mentioned were all part of it. But I would in particular like to suggest that you read Paul Trynka's Brian Jones: The making of the Rolling Stones. Trynka was not happy with "Life" and decided to give us a look from a different angle. Very good writing! Non of the books I read are free from mistakes (some serious ones), some merely copy (including errors/wrong info) what others have written, but looking at it from different angles will give you a good picture of what the Rolling Stones were and are all about: a gift from the heavens for people like you and me smileys with beer

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: July 22, 2018 13:41

Philip Norman’s book The Stones is an excellent read.

It was originally published in the 1980s and was updated a few years ago.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 22, 2018 14:38

georgie48
benstones
Hello everyone!

I have read around 30 different books on the Rolling Stones (partly due to some former fanclub activities), the ones (good suggestions, even the too sensational one from Sanchez) mentioned were all part of it. But I would in particular like to suggest that you read Paul Trynka's Brian Jones: The making of the Rolling Stones. Trynka was not happy with "Life" and decided to give us a look from a different angle. Very good writing! Non of the books I read are free from mistakes (some serious ones), some merely copy (including errors/wrong info) what others have written, but looking at it from different angles will give you a good picture of what the Rolling Stones were and are all about: a gift from the heavens for people like you and me smileys with beer

I'll second the recommendation for Paul Trynka's book - you don't have to agree with all his conclusions to know that he has really done his homework. There's a lot in there I hadn't known before, and it's good to read a book about Brian's life that isn't mainly focused on conspiracy theories about his death.

Date: July 22, 2018 15:31

Does anyone kno if the Barbara Charone book was released as a hardback?

Date: July 22, 2018 17:52

Good place to buy books - www.abe.com

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 22, 2018 18:45

I’m an avid reader, and maybe it’s obvious I like the Stones, so I’ve read quite a lot.

In England, at the Eel Pie Museum no less, I picked up:
‘Ronnie’ by Ron Wood, copyright 2007.

I am really impressed. Directly authentic, honest clarity, FUNNY,
heartwarming. I got a clearer understanding of his art work and methods, enjoyed learning about where he has lived, and it was extremely complimentary to Jo Wood without invading her privacy, all naturally done/ total class.
You will love Ronnie more after reading it.

Date: July 22, 2018 18:51

I also suggest 'Blown Away' by A E Hotchner. Both this older book and Philip Norman's have interviews with people who were close to the action, such as Marianne and Anita, and others who are now gone.

I also recommend Mandy Aftel's and Barbara Charone's books; Charone's is sad and grim.

Most don't like this one, but I really liked Robert Greenfield's 'A Season in Hell'. It really gives the flavour of Exile. My copy is in French and that makes it even more atmospheric, though of course it was written in English.

Another favourite is 'The Rolling Stones: Off the Record' by Mark Paytress. These are interviews given by the Stones from the early years of their career.

Check abe.com for original copies of all of these, because often re-issues have things removed.

Date: July 22, 2018 18:56

35love
I’m an avid reader, and maybe it’s obvious I like the Stones, so I’ve read quite a lot.

In England, at the Eel Pie Museum no less, I picked up:
Ronnie’ by Ron Wood, copyright 2007.

I am really impressed. Directly authentic, honest clarity, FUNNY,
heartwarming. I got a clearer understanding of his art work and methods, enjoyed learning about where he has lived, and it was extremely complimentary to Jo Wood without invading her privacy, all naturally done/ total class.
You will love Ronnie more after reading it.

AND: fantastic photos, and a few of his paintings I hadn’t seen before or since.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 22, 2018 19:10

I would say anything written by someone who actually knew them is worthwhile. I would add Bill German's book to the list. Just bear in mind whether it's Keith, Bill, Ronnie, Andrew, Spanish Tony, Bobby, Prince Rupert, or Bill German - you're always reading someone's perspective and sometimes that lacks information or is skewed to make someone better or worse than you might have thought had you been the observer. Some of them have stories or at least punchlines that are likely complete fiction.

Date: July 22, 2018 19:18

Technical correction after going thru the stack of real tangible books piled next to my nightstand;
Ronnie Wood Rock On Wood The Orgin of a Rock & Roll Face by Terry Rawlings
is what I picked up at Eel Pie Museum, London

The self wrote 2007 autobiography Ron Wood is the book I highly praised,
purchased on my own a few months ago.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 22, 2018 21:01

I neglected to mention Mac's book, "All the Rage." That's one of the best as well though the content is hardly all Stones-related.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 22, 2018 23:15

Someone gave me a copy of The Sun And The Moon And The Rolling Stones by Rich Cohen. Havent read it yet though.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 22, 2018 23:26

His Majesty

... and Keef's bio by Victor Bockris. Great reads!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 23, 2018 00:10

Bliss

Most don't like this one, but I really liked Robert Greenfield's 'A Season in Hell'.

They don't? eye popping smiley That's one of my favorites! Along with anything by Stanley Booth.

Date: July 23, 2018 00:11

24FPS
'Rolling Stones - an unauthorized biography in words, photographs, and music' - by David Dalton 1972 is a good mix of previous stories on the group. It really brought me up to speed on Brian Jones.

[www.amazon.com]

US $647

Is it normal??? eye popping smiley

Benjamin.

Date: July 23, 2018 00:13

Bliss
Up and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez

Edited!!

Thanks for your answer!!

[www.amazon.com]

This one, right??

Benjamin.

Date: July 23, 2018 00:17

Again, thanks everyone for your answers! I can't wait to read them all grinning smiley

Benjamin.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 23, 2018 01:10

Honetly no offense intended, many enjoyed it; he did a wide interview tour that fans enjoyed and etc..
...but I'd venture that the Keith interviews that they put together for "Life,"
as colorfully controversial and dramatic as all that was,
...(as far as a then-current peek at the Glims Romance Saga.)...

...would be the Least likely biography of substantive note;
it's not really an autobiography per se,
but most star and celebrity book-deals sort of come with staff help...no foul there necessarily...

...i need read more myself; I'll be really scouring this thread for the best views inside;
maybe one of Bill's books?
Which one would be most essential and revealing?
(As far as studio sessions and fan/press responses etc?)

I know Bill is 'diplomatic' and very, very dry in his approach; (which I super=dig about him btw; LOVE me some BW).

Is it fair to say that among the best it would HAVE to be one of Bill's efforts in the running?
I mean NoBody else who was there from the crack of dawn pretty much;
and throughout the most huge eras of the Legacy offerings, has a book, aside from Keiths?

And ol' Keith's book was fascinating in parts; and, for me,
VERY aggravating in parts; banal and exploits the icon projections,
that are in some cases juvenile, but imo not in a cute way,
and are beneath his real intelligence and perspective level. (as I have always perceived it from a lifetime of interviews).
I don't mean to re-visit whatever pages were reviewing it back then before my time here,...i've looked only a bit; or followed some of it at the time before posting here..
but lot of it was sort of blustery exploitation the early Stones would have been stifling laugher about, had
it come from some other pop star.
seems to me anyway.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home