Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hot Rocks tops UK vinyl chart
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 21, 2018 02:00

From Music Week:

"Released in 1971 in the USA but not until 1990 (when it reached No.3) in The UK, The Rolling Stones’ compilation Hot Rocks 1964-1971 jumps 100-42 (1,922 sales), achieving its highest chart position since this very week in 1995. It is a jump facilitated by fresh stocks of the 2002 double vinyl edition of the album, which accounted for 869 of those sales, enough for it to top the vinyl album chart."

[www.officialcharts.com]
[www.officialcharts.com]

The vinyl is on sale at HMV for £9.99, only on stores:
[purehmv.com]

In the US, Hot Rocks ranks at #148 this week on the Billboard 200 with 5,000 units, mostly from streams.
[www.billboard.com]

Re: Hot Rocks tops UK vinyl chart
Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: July 21, 2018 15:51

Thanks georgelicks for the link and info.. picked up a copy today from HMV.

smileys with beer

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: July 21, 2018 18:31

I was scrolling through a list of the all-time best selling LPs in the US recently. I was surprised how long I had to keep going until I got to a Stones record. That LP was Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: July 21, 2018 20:21

blivet
I was scrolling through a list of the all-time best selling LPs in the US recently. I was surprised how long I had to keep going until I got to a Stones record. That LP was Hot Rocks.

I dont know if it was my first purchase/ownership, but...
it was certainly THE LP that kept coming around.... and what goes around... I kept seeing it... and seeing it... and hearing it over the years. As a kid my "influences" never "gave" me The Stones. The people I looked up to did not really covet The Stones, they gave me other groups, so it took a long while for me become the ravenous Stones fan that I am.

Maybe that is why I am the way I am, I came around to The Stones all on my own.

And Hot Rocks is THE LP that kept being there... that freekin side 3 man!!!

Side 3 of Hot Rocks is the BEST ALBUM SIDE OF ALL TIME! period

As kid it was always there. I did not appreciate it all early, most Stones studio albums have 2-3 great rockers and then a bunch of "who knows what?" "what the hell is a country honk... or dear doctor? I was a rocker and wanted it all rock all of the time... and The Stones were not that... so I gravitated to other bands... but... SIDE 3 WAS ALL ROCK ALL ROLL ALL THE TIME!! EVERY TIME!

At parties, at peoples houses, at the radio station my friend DJed at, at the vacation lodge we visited, at the this, at the that, at the other... when I was flipping records at someone elses place (I didnt own it) if/when I came to Hot Rocks THAT WAS IT!!. PERIOD... pulled it out and put it on. Everybody always loves side 3, it is good times! IT ROCKS!!! EVERY TIME!!! STILL!!!

And over time Side 3 became my bedrock. No one told me about The Stones, I came to them on my very own. Over time other bands faded away... and in 1978 Some Girls lit the fuse... but The Stones NEVER toured where I lived. I wasnt spoiled like some people in CHI, LA, NY etc etc... those fkrs never came to my town as kid... so I didnt care... but in 1981 it was time.

TY came out, that huge tour was gonna happen... and in a dorm room party I was flipping through LPs for something to play and HOT ROCKS was there.... and BOOM!!!! I put it on in someones elses place that was it ! That night the fuse which was lit by Some Girls exploded the bomb of my Stones fanship. Of course later I came to understand and fall in love with parachute women jigsaw puzzle honking country dear doctor and all of the other non rockers which I didnt get early on. Heck to this day I am still discovering Stones songs I didnt know existed. It is fun. There are deep deep sedimentary layers of fun Stones songs to be unearthed.

anyway...
In that dorm room, the needle dropped and Jumpin Jack Flash started and that was it ... I WAS ALL IN!!! It was the Nth time I had played side 3 and it ALWAYS "did the trick" and that time was magic.... euphoria... I decided right then I was going to see these jerks who never came to me town if I had to travel... and travel I did. And I saw that tour on 5 stops... and funny enough the 5th time was an add on show in my town... and ever since I have been the way I am.... and any red cats that wanna come around hissing about My Stones are in for a !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 20:26 by Leonioid.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 29, 2018 01:58

The album is down to #2 on the UK vinyl chart but up to #36 on the main chart, Hot Rocks is back on the UK Top 40 by first time since September 1990.
[www.officialcharts.com]

The album also remains on the Billboard 200 at #183.
[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2018 04:04

Not surprising how well it's doing in the UK considering the recent NoFilter setlists relied so heavily on warhorses from Hot Rocks - the track listing of side three and four is nearly identical to some on those setlists.
Great compilation of their greatest tunes for sure, and still have my original vinyl copy. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-29 04:05 by Hairball.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1287
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home