Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Goosebumb-Hair Standing on my Arms Stones Moments
Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: July 20, 2018 15:44

Like everybody the first time. I'm 51 and although I have been a fan since the seventies my first show was in 89 in Toronto. I still remember like it was yesterday the build up with Continental Drift then the loud flashpots and Start Me Up.
The other one was seeing Keith at tiny Massey Hall in 93. Had a great afternoon at the Hard Rock with a couple of great friends who are huge fans. I still get chills when I think of Keith strutting out to start the show.
Obviously there have been many others but those 2 really stand out for me.

Re: Goosebumb-Hair Standing on my Arms Stones Moments
Date: July 20, 2018 15:51

Every time I first walk in to an arena or a stadium and see their stage

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 20, 2018 16:01

On record...

- The musical interlude in Monkey Man just before Mick comes back in
- Ry's bottleneck guitar in Sister Morphine and then Charlie's drum barrage kicks in
- Mick's vocals in Let In Loose when his voice starts cracking from the vocal exertion
- MT's bass solo in Fingerprint File
- MT's wah solo in 100 Years Ago

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: July 20, 2018 16:30

When they came out with Street Fighting Man in London on 22 May this year.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 20, 2018 16:43

Just a few:

1. Start Me Up (Still Life):

a) Keith´s riffs at the beginning;

b) Charlie joining him;

c) the first riff after "You make a grown man cry" Arrrgggh!

2. Imagination (Still Life):

a) Keith´s riff after "Running away with me" in the second refrain;

b) Keith´s riff again after "Ev´ry night I hope and pray"

3. Saint Of Me (Bridges To Babylon):

a) Mick´s lyrics and voice;

b) Ronnie´s guitar;

c) Billy Prestons organ, especially at the end;

d) Charlie´s drumsound

4. Street Fighting Man (Beggars Banquet):

a) the second acoustic guitar joining at the beginning (sounds like a bell);

b) the instrumental preludes before a new verse starts, especially the last one after "Get down!"

5. Gimme Shelter (Let It Bleed):

a) the whole beginning incl. Charlie joining with his entire set;

b) the lines "Mmh, the flood is threat´ning my very life today";

c) the words "Gimme, gimme shelter!";

d) Mick´s harmonica

6. Beast Of Burden (Some Girls):

a) "You can put me out";

b) the chords after that;

c) "...on the street"

7. You Got The Silver (Let It Bleed):

a) Al Kooper´s organ during the instrumental part between second and third verse

8. Rocks Off (Exile On Main St):

a) the piano joining the song shortly before "What´s the matter with the boy?"

b) getting back to the hard beat: "The sunshine bores the daylight out of me!"

9. You Got Me Rocking (Voodoo Lounge):

a) Keith´s killer riffs;

b) Ronnie´s slide, especially during the last 30 seconds

10. Sister Morphine (Sticky Fingers):

a) the piano after 2nd verse;

b) slide and drums joining it

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 20, 2018 17:21

so many to mention but heres a few from concerts.

first seeing them come on stage at hampden park glasgow in 1990 at my first stones gig.

b-stage murrayfield edinburgh 1999.

finale of o2 concert in 2007 was quite emotional and could have been the last time which i felt it would be, glad it wasnt.

topping all of this is the experience of seeing them in warsaw, announcing the band on stage and the opening riffs of street fighting man. Then jagger introducing the band, and ofcourse midnight rambler was amazing.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 20, 2018 17:28

The mere fingers across the fretboard high up before the chorus on "Lowdown".

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 20, 2018 17:41

jumpontopofmebaby
Every time I first walk in to an arena or a stadium and see their stage

YUPE!!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2018 20:16

Way too many to mention, but a few off the top of my head:

Concerts:

- First two shows 1981 at L.A. Coliseum - spine tingling even thinking about it.

- L.A. Staples Center free NRDC concert, '03, standing at the rail of b-stage five feet from Keith when they unleashed Midnight Rambler. Like a dream come true as if Keith was giving me a private demo.
Seemed like nobody else in the entire arena - flashing back to being a kid trying to playing along to MR on my guitar - Keith was showing me exactly how it was done. My favorite single Stones moment ever.

- Stockholm Cirkus '03 - having early entry access, and floating into an empty theater right up to the rail front center where I stayed the entire night

- Vredenburg, Utrecht '03- the entire show on the rail front center, and really the entire day including waiting in line, eating Dutch pancakes, and smoking excellent hash.

- All Mick Taylor 50 and Counting appearances, with Staples Center II being the most memorable.

Stones -related shows:

Mick Taylor and the Bluesbreakers 1982 at the Roxy in L.A. - front center with apprx. 500 people in attendance.

Mick Taylor at the 100 Club '03 - standing two feet in front of him for the entire show with apprx. 350 in attendance.

Studio recordings:

- Happy, the entire song, but the opening riff is perfection - I could hear that alone on repeat for hours on end and would be happy - takes me right back to my first Stones album.
- Sympathy and Gimme Shelter in their entirety.
- Get Off My Cloud - ditto to above
- Play With Fire - ditto to above
- Paint it Black - ditto to above

And the list goes on and on...

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 20, 2018 21:59

Welcome back to Hyde Park.

Ladies & Gentlemen, it's the Rolling Stones!!!

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 20, 2018 22:49

Yes, there are many.

BUT ... hehehe .... grinning smiley

Here's the one of my many favourites:

Atlantic City '89 - Little Red Rooster

You know ... the 70ies had gone, - as had the 80ies almost. If you'ld hear music on the radio back then, you most probably thought that Rock'n'Roll just had it - it's dead.

But with this tour, folks, something happend.

On the bootleg, which I especially like because of the high volume of the crowd's noise in the mix, you can hear the band celebrate not only this anti-up-to-date-then-music of the blues, BUT get a punch of living BLUES that knocks you right off your shoes, socks or whatever it is what you care about.

"Yeah people, we're gonna ... we're gonna play the blues for you tonight!" Jagger says and then follows the simple chords of the Willie Dixon song. played by Alman Brother Chuck Leavell, followed by weaving slices by Ronnie and Keith.

And there we are.

First, some moments silence by the crowd. But then, as the hypnotizing rhythm of this song kicks in deeply and straight to your soul, the crowd gets it and joins in.

Eric Clapton delivers one of the finest sparkling, really 'speaking-to-you'-solos I have ever heard and folks ... it's giving me dynamite goose-bumps, I tell ya. I also get tears in my eyes because that's just one piece of such perfect music, I never thought I would be happy enough to experience.

I'm not ashamed here to admit that this for me is one holy piece of craft - the joining of perfect musicianship at the same time at the same place. - VERY RARE! -

If anybody here got that Clapton solo down and knows how to play it, please send me a message, for I really would like to learn it note by note!

One more thought:

Even Jagger, as a showman especially during this tour, keeps standig relatively still during this song, like honoring the spirit of the blues against all that jumping and theatrical brouhaha during the rest of these shows. He limits him to just standing there and sing the lines and eventually playing harp. I don't know how much that had cost him to reduce his antics to just singing and playing harp, but I really appreachiate this VERY much! It shows the deep respect he has to this music and it spread out to the last seats in the venue and everybody got, that this was something very special!

That kind of multiplies the focus of the show towards the meaning of this music and looks like his and the band's humble reverence to it.

The energy created here and hold captive is almost unbearable and feels likely to expolde at any
moment.

==> YouTube

I'm so proud to be a fan of this band!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-20 23:26 by waterrats.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2018 22:55

I get goosebumps just reading that waterrats! smileys with beer

Date: July 20, 2018 23:21

Hairball
I get goosebumps just reading that waterrats! smileys with beer

Thank you very kindly, Hairball!

smileys with beer

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: July 20, 2018 23:42

When I watched Mick take off the belt and slap the stage during Midnight Rambler, San Jose 99, hopefully it can be seen in the new vault release?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 21, 2018 01:30

waterrats

Even Jagger, as a showman especially during this tour, keeps standig relatively still during this song, like honoring the spirit of the blues against all that jumping and theatrical brouhaha during the rest of these shows. He limits him to just standing there and sing the lines and eventually playing harp. I don't know how much that had cost him to reduce his antics to just singing and playing harp, but I really appreachiate this VERY much! It shows the deep respect he has to this music and it spread out to the last seats in the venue and everybody got, that this was something very special!

==> YouTube

Absolutely! What adds to the sensation is the sideways look Mick gives Eric as that change places at about 3:22 in that video. Wonderful!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 21, 2018 01:49

CaptainCorella
waterrats

==> YouTube

Absolutely! What adds to the sensation is the sideways look Mick gives Eric as that change places at about 3:22 in that video. Wonderful!

Yea - I bet he knew that Eric just had blown his and everyone's expectations about that particular piece of the show into pieces!

It was better than he ever thought it could get!

No wonder - it was a PayPerView, hehehe ... grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 01:50 by waterrats.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: July 21, 2018 01:52

Opening chords of SMU and Charlie's huge sounding drums Wembley 7-July-90 - my first Stones gig.

Dead Flowers - Slane Castle 2007.

Street Fighting Man London 22nd May 2018 - rock n roll encapsulated.

Keith talking to the crowd at Twickenham this year.

The drum break in Just My Imagination on Still Life and the crowd response.

Brian's parts on Lady Jane and No Expectations.

The toms build up in Tumbling Dice and toms intro on Going to a Go-Go (I like toms!)

Moonlight Mile - from 3.30 onwards. Uplifting, inspiring, melancholic and more.

Coming Down Again - all of it!

Virtually anytime I hear the opening chords of Midnight Rambler - especially the Ya Ya's version. Visceral, decadent and groovy all in one.

Satisfaction from Stones in the park - camera shot of Charlie absolutely hammering the drums, looking like he is so in the moment and nothing else matters.

Satisfaction MSG '69 - imo the best ever version.

I've no doubt missed loads as there are just too many to choose from - I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about them smiling smiley

Date: July 21, 2018 01:57

redkev
I've no doubt missed loads as there are just too many to choose from - I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about them smiling smiley

Yeah mate I dig 'em all what yoou list

And a wonder it is that there are loads more...

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: July 21, 2018 03:07

For me it was Kansas city MO in 1981, realizing that the extra guy onstage was Mick Taylor. also, Mick looking down at me as the cherry picker went over and and I stood on my chair and grabbed a piece of crepe paper hanging off the bottom. Boulder 1981 also when Keith first came out and I saw from my spot in front of the stage, the afternoon sun glinting off of his skull ring. It was my first show and I'd hitch-hiked from KC to be there. That moment has always stuck with me.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 21, 2018 04:31

One in particular: when I first borrowed the Nasty Music bootleg from my dad and heard Taylor’s “woman tone” slide guitar. I had never heard such a great and otherworldly sounding slide guitar. That coupled with the raw energy of the band was just unforgettable.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 21, 2018 18:07

My #1 goosebump moment
Winter at 3:19 when Mick Taylor solo kicks off

Followed closely by:
Feedback on Keith's solo on Sympathy for the Devil from Ya-Ya's at 3:22

Some probably shared with others here:
You Can't Always Get What you Want at 4:27 as chorus starts to kick in
Sway at 2:00 mark "Hey Heeey! Noooow"
Moonlight Mile at 2:14 mark "Oh I am sleeping under strange strange skies..."
Sister Morphine from start to finish
Tumbling Dice at 3:05. Charlie's drum fill that begins final chorus.
Little T&A opening riff

And here are a few more obscure goosebump moments for me:

Child of the Moon: Opening with strange vocals in background
Salt of the Earth: Keith's first verse and then at 1:06 "When I searched a faceless crowd"
Time Waits for No One: Taylor's solo at 4:29 and 5:15 then piano at 5:49
Hand of Fate: Wayne Perkins' guitar solo at 1:33 (1:47 specifically!!) then the licks around 3:56
And Wayne Perkins solo on Worried About You at 2:48

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: July 21, 2018 18:12

The entire No Filter UK leg when they played better than I ever thought possible! Unbelievable!!!

Posted by: mattyman76 ()
Date: July 21, 2018 18:13

I saw Keith and the winos on the 18th of December at the town and country club London, it was Keith birthday obviously and my first gig I was 16, when he walked onto the stage and started take it so hard it was something really special and I will remember it until I die it was so loud, I was rightnat the front and he looked at me many times, I get goose bumps every time I think about it tremendous. It was the best gig I have ever seen and I was at Brixton and shepherd's Bush, I have seen every London gig since 1992

Posted by: mattyman76 ()
Date: July 21, 2018 18:22

I wish there was a recording of 18-12-1992 it was the best sound I have ever heard they don't use him anymore his name was benji something I seem to remember

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: July 21, 2018 19:19

First one beside my first concert in 1990?

Leaving Underground station at RFK Stadium on July 27, 1994,
getting closer to the stadium when I heard the first chords of "Memory motel"

That was my "welcome to the new world" moment...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 19:21 by falo01.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 21, 2018 19:53

My 1st ever show - Wembley Stadium, 24th August 1990. Bill’s 2nd last gig.

Stade de France, 25 July 1998. 1st Show abroad, great atmosphere with France newly crowned World Champions 2 weeks previously in same stadium.

Chorzow, Poland, 14th August 1998. Brilliant audience and great whole day and weekend, spent with Poles.

Murrayfield, Edinburgh 1999. Whole floor Argentina Style GA, mental crowd but fun.

O2 Show 1 2012. Unexpectedly got in on the cheap, though missed start. Was unsure what to expect after poor final leg of ABB but was reassured by how much better than expected they were.

Ruby Tuesday, Hyde Park Show 2 2013. Beautiful and it really moved me. A lot!

Coventry this year. 1st time ever in the No Filter Pit (LD) and strong performance. Good performances throughout the U.K. Tour, of which I attended all 8 dates on LDs.

The last show in Warsaw. So so setlist but fantastic crowd.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 21, 2018 21:58

- Pinkpop 2014: The crowd around me was singing "You got the silver" loud and clear.

- "Like a Rolling Stone" live when the audience starts singing "how does it feel..." - like in Warsaw

Forgot this one: "Gimme Shelter", played by KR & the Winos in Town & Country Club 18th December 1992, the moment the heavy guitar sound explodes (attended this show, know the release - on a Japanese single I think).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-22 00:39 by MAF.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: July 21, 2018 22:13

London 2012, show 1: when I walked in and saw the stage, YCAGWYW first time with with choir, 25 or so songs on the setlist, fantastic....
Then 2017/2018: SFTD and SFM as show openers....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 21, 2018 22:31

Virtually every time as they first hit the stage.

Date: July 21, 2018 22:49

- The accordion on Back Street Girl
- The guitars on Down In The Hole
- Brian's harp on Good Times, Bad Times
- Mick’s vocals on Undercover (Of The Night)
- Keith's slide guitar on Jigsaw Puzzle
- All the lovely licks on Dance
- Taylor's slide guitar on ADTL
- Brian's slide guitar on King Bee
- Ronnie's steel guitar on Far Away Eyes
- Stu on Stewed And Keefed
- Bill's bass on I Wanna Be Your Man
- Charlie's drumming on Hey Negrita

Too many to mention, really...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home