Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chuck Leavell - "Chuck Gets Big"
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 19, 2018 23:53

Chuck Leavell is excited to announce his new recording, “Chuck Gets Big”: Chuck Leavell w/ Frankfurt Radio Big Band on BMG Records. Available now on iTunes and all downloading and streaming platforms. This will be released on CD in September. on [chuckleavell.com] !

[twitter.com]
--
Tracklist:

01. Route 66
02. King Grand
03. Losing Hand
04. Honky Tonk Woman
05. Living In A Dream
06. Blue Rose
07. Southbound
08. Tumbling Dice
09. Ashley
10. Statesboro Blues
11. Georgia On My Mind
12. Compared To What
13. Tomato Jam

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Chuck Leavell - "Chuck Gets Big"
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 20, 2018 00:07

we knew before that this man is boring…

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2018 00:07

Just skimmed through the tracks on yotube and it's not my cup of tea - glad Chuck is busy, but will pass on this one.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: July 20, 2018 00:21

Ouch

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 20, 2018 00:30

Just like James Last.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 20, 2018 01:34

I’ll give it a chance. Chuck has been involved with some legendary artists
in the past such as Rolling Stones, David Gilmour, Allman Brothers etc. Undoubtedly much different from the Stones but still likely to be a worthwhile
listen.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 20, 2018 01:43

I like this a lot, Chuck's versions of these songs has a cool and refreshing vibe to them. I will definitely purchase this release!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 20, 2018 02:28

Heard a few tracks the other week ….

Seems ta work best on stuff like Losing Hand and Georgia....

Good luck Chuck …………………………...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: July 20, 2018 12:35

I like it.
It´s sort of a laidback version of the Brian Setzer Orchestra.
So if you like it with a Little more pepper and chili try Guitar Slinger, The Dirty Boogie or Vavoom!
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 31, 2018 17:22

Live debut of "Chuck Gets Big" with the Savannah Jazz Orchestra, September 29.

[savannahjazzfest.com]

CHUCK LEAVELL - LIVE in Savannah, GA - Saturday, 29 Sept
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 27, 2018 13:29

Chuck Leavell and the Savannah Jazz Orchestra are headlining the 37th Annual Savannah Jazz Festival this weekend doing "Chuck Gets Big" at a free open-air concert in Savannah's Forsyth Park located in the heart of downtown Savannah.

I saw Chuck when he headlined a rock & roll outdoor show this past Spring here in Savannah fronting Randall Bramblett's band. Saturday's going to be an amazing time.

Anyone on IORR going?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Re: CHUCK LEAVELL - LIVE in Savannah, GA - Saturday, 29 Sept
Date: September 27, 2018 14:07

Thanks for the heads up. Another question: Why the shining colours and the huge letters? I get dizzy grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 27, 2018 14:21

He's a patriot, man... smoking smiley Red white and blue all the way!

Date: September 27, 2018 14:44

dcba
He's a patriot, man... smoking smiley Red white and blue all the way!

The white might be greying a bit, but I know what you mean (and we both know a thing or two about red, white and blue, right) smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-27 15:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 28, 2018 14:58

DandelionPowderman
Thanks for the heads up. Another question: Why the shining colours and the huge letters? I get dizzy grinning smiley

Thanks, DP, for your never-failing attention to my posts and to detail. Remember, everything, no matter the post, is to give you something to write about, Buddy!

Red, white, and blue!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: September 28, 2018 16:00

thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 28, 2018 22:55

"Chuck Gets Big" is the sort of title I'd be leery of asking a sales associate if they had in stock. Perhaps that's what he was going for. The Sea Level is overflowing.

As for stonesstein, I hope your posts continue to increase because this much personality hasn't been seen here since the glory days of Skippy and StonesTod.

Mind you, when I receive a waspish red, white, and blue tongue-lashing, I might be less inclined to sit back and admire it, but you never can tell.

Date: October 10, 2018 16:27

Chuck talks with Bob Harris of KFGO:

[kfgo.com]

Chuck Leavell - "Chuck Gets Big"
Date: August 14, 2019 18:45

Rolling Stones' Musical Director Chuck Leavell Covers 'Tumbling Dice': Video Premiere

8/13/2019 by Gary Graff

Allen Farst

As the longtime music director for the Rolling Stones -- not to mention his tenures with the Allman Brothers Band, Sea Level, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, John Mayer and others -- Chuck Leavell has full rights to take on the group's catalog in his own fashion. So, not surprisingly, his brassy take on "Tumbling Dice" with the Frankfurt Radio Big Band, whose video is premiering below from the keyboardist's just released new album Chuck Gets Big, is something different than what we're used to hearing him do with his "British brethren."

"This (album) is really a celebration of the career," Leavell tells Billboard, "so of course there's something from the Allman Brothers, something from Sea Level, something from the Stones, instrumentals from my own records, too. There are also a few of the songs I've just always loved playing -- like 'Georgia on My Mind,' 'cause Ray Charles is my true hero. It's just kind of a mishmash celebrating the career and hand-picking songs that I felt like people would appreciate."

It's also a chance for Leavell to take the frontman mantle himself. "I wanted it to be mostly a vocal record because working with these great vocalists, I rarely get to sing," he explains. "I mean, I get to sing background with the Stones and did with The Allmans, Clapton and Gilmour, but I wanted to have the opportunity to showcase my voice -- not that I'm an incredible singer, but that was important to me. I'm very pleased with the way it worked out."

The seeds for Chuck Gets Big were planted six years ago, after a German promoter who had booked shows for Leavell and his own five-piece band broached the idea of hooking him up with the Frankfurt ensemble during 2011. Intrigued by the prospect, Leavell agreed and sent MP3s of a dozen songs for the troupe to arrange. "They had one rehearsal without me," Leavell recalls, "and I walked in the next day not really knowing what to expect, just kind of on a wing and a prayer. And the minute we started playing I realized how incredible these musicians were, how on top of their game they were and how carefully written and detailed the charts were.

"So during that first rehearsal I'm thinking to myself, 'Chuck, you got to step up yo' game, son, 'cause these cats ain't here to mess around. They're here to kick ass and take names!' It really did put some pressure on me -- in a good way."

The 13 tracks on Chuck Gets Big (there's a bonus cut called "Tomato Jam") are taken from those performances, whose isolation in the recordings were good enough to take the crowd noise out and convey the spirit of a live performance while sounding like a studio effort. "I sat on these files for a while because I had already released a Live in Germany album with the five-piece band and some of the same songs were on there and I didn't want to repeat myself," Leavell explains. "Finally last year I said, 'Let me pull these things out and listen to them,' and I was duly impressed."

While Chuck Gets Big rolls out, Leavell -- who also guests on the Allman Betts Band's debut album Down to the River -- has five more dates left on the Stones' No Filter Tour, which wraps up Aug. 31 in Miami. He says that after Mick Jagger's health scare earlier this year, which required the tour to be rescheduled, things are going as well as they ever have. "Everyone's in good shape," Leavell reports. "Mick is incredible; he said that he was back working out about a week after the procedure. So he's doing great and so is everybody else, and God, what a blessing it is we still get to do this and the crowds still want to come -- especially given the circumstances of having to put the whole thing back together. The band is tighter than ever and it just couldn't be better."

The full track listing for Chuck Gets Big includes:

1. Route 66
2. King Grand
3. Losing Hand
4. Honky Tonk Woman
5. Living In A Dream
6. Blue Rose
7. Southbound
8. Tumbling Dice
9. Ashley
10. Statesboro Blues
11. Georgia On My Mind
12. Compared To What
13. Tomato Jam (Bonus Track)

Tumbling Dice video - [www.youtube.com]

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: August 14, 2019 19:32

Awful

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 14, 2019 20:12

Terrible

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 14, 2019 21:02

thumbs down

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 14, 2019 21:23

At least he sang the opening line correctly unlike Mick for more decades than I care to consider. Musically, it's a soulful big band hybrid. He's not trying to remake EXILE.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 15, 2019 13:42

Is he putting on weight ?

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 15, 2019 13:57

Video not available here in Saigon.

Date: August 15, 2019 14:28

Just a different music style, and Chuck is a piano player, not a big singer. Fine.

Posted by: dgb02 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 16:06

Love the Tumbling Dice video they did for this. [www.youtube.com]

Sorry, missed the previous link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-19 16:07 by dgb02.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home