Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Were The Stones Mods Or Rockers?
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: July 19, 2018 19:33

Plenty of Brits who grew up in the 60's on this board.

In that '63-'65 era, were the Stones considered a Mod band or a Rocker band? What about their earliest fans?

I was listening to some Beatles interviews from June of '64 and they are asked if they are mods or rockers, and they say neither and that they feel that it's just the media overhyping some isolated fights at Brighton Beach, then the interviewer says in Australia it's the Rockers vs. the Surfies.

Are British Metal Heads something like the little siblings of the Rockers, and were the U.K. Glam & Punk scenes developed by the little brothers and sisters of the Mods?

Doubt the Stones had time to go to any of the beach rumbles anyway at that time in their career, but I'd like to think they could have taken care of business.

Re: Were The Stones Mods Or Rockers?
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: July 19, 2018 20:07

Ringo said the Beatles were Mockers

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: July 19, 2018 20:59

They were neither. Rockers were into Gene Vincent and the like, wore leather and were into motorcycles. Mods were into Talma Motown, wore suits, rode Vespa and Lambretta scooters, and kept their hair short and neat. As far as which camp they attracted, they certainly appealed more to Mods due to their R&B roots.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 19, 2018 22:15

Neither .... they are their own way of life …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 19, 2018 22:28

DrPete
Ringo said the Beatles were Mockers

Rods

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 19, 2018 22:44

I was a teenager in Kingston/Richmond area in the mid 60's and mods were the main influence in the area that I can remember from schooldays.

The Stones ,The Beatles , The Kinks and many other bands attracted both mods and rockers.

They all did their own thing.

The Who and Small Faces off the top of my head were more mod in their appearance and fans I guess.

It was a great time to be a youngster in SW London in the 60's. thumbs up

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 19, 2018 23:10

crawdaddy
I was a teenager in Kingston/Richmond area in the mid 60's and mods were the main influence in the area that I can remember from schooldays.

The Stones ,The Beatles , The Kinks and many other bands attracted both mods and rockers.

They all did their own thing.

The Who and Small Faces off the top of my head were more mod in their appearance and fans I guess.

It was a great time to be a youngster in SW London in the 60's. thumbs up

I bet it was! Lucky you, sir. It certainly punched well above its weight when it came to music and fashion.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 20, 2018 09:46

GAFF
They were neither. Rockers were into Gene Vincent and the like, wore leather and were into motorcycles. Mods were into Talma Motown, wore suits, rode Vespa and Lambretta scooters, and kept their hair short and neat. As far as which camp they attracted, they certainly appealed more to Mods due to their R&B roots.

I was agreeing with you up to the last sentence. I'd have said they appealed more to rockers, especially with the bad boy image, and their blues roots were closer to Gene Vincent than the slickness of Tamla, at that time.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 20, 2018 14:00

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 20, 2018 15:13

Surely Charlie - mr Saville row -is more a mod than a rocker ( although, of course , neither as he is his own man )

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 20, 2018 15:21

mockers - well, Mick is Mockney...........smoking smiley

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 20, 2018 15:58

They were.... the best

And they still are, at least in their generation, and overall they still are over many other acts

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 20, 2018 22:12

Doc
They were.... the best

And they still are, at least in their generation, and overall they still are over many other acts

For me, there is no better band, any generation.
thanks for the link.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 21, 2018 01:04

His Majesty

Mod meant something different in that context, though. "Mod" just came to mean hip, with it, not-your-parents'-music, etc., nothing to do with parkas and scooters. (I remember this insert as I was a faithful reader of Boyfriend *blush*.)

Date: July 21, 2018 09:42

<Were The Stones Mods Or Rockers?>

Mockers...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 21, 2018 10:44

Both the Who and Small Faces were marketed as being 'Mods', despite no member being so. I find the evolution from mod to hippie or skinhead quite interesting, actually.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home