Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy Bastille Day!
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 14, 2018 19:34

To our French IORR:ers! What would be better than to celebrate this by winning the World Cup tomorrow?
Vive La France!

Re: OT: Happy Bastille Day!
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 14, 2018 19:58

Happy Bastille Day!

I have fond memories of being in France on Bastille Day many years ago partying through the night with fireworks blasting everywhere, and lots of other fun mayhem.
At the time I didn't even really know what the exact meaning of Bastille Day was about haha, but it was one heck of a party!

Have a great celebration on Fête Nationale Française, and Vive la France! smileys with beer

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 14, 2018 20:17

I was in France in 1980, aged 13 on a family holiday. It was my 1st visit to the country and my last day there before the 1,000 mile car journey home to Scotland was a huge Bastille Day party. Will never forget it and it was a real pleasure to be there as a foreigner amongst the celebrating French.

Mornac sur Seudre on the West Coast, near Royan, a bit further South from La Rochelle for those who know it. Probsbly my best holiday growing up.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2018 22:04

Hairball

At the time I didn't even really know what the exact meaning of Bastille Day was about haha

It was about storming the most sinister hated prison of France... (brrr) only to discover it was nearly empty. There were about 12 prisoners there including old demented inmates. Oh well... grinning smiley

The good news is after freeing the prisoners and grabbing hundreds of firearms the mob captured and beaheaded the director of la Bastille.
A handjob, no guillotine!

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 14, 2018 22:15

Vive La France!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 14, 2018 23:52

Enjoy.

May the best team won tomorrow, best of luck to the finalist.

Date: July 15, 2018 01:10

dcba
Hairball

At the time I didn't even really know what the exact meaning of Bastille Day was about haha

It was about storming the most sinister hated prison of France... (brrr) only to discover it was nearly empty. There were about 12 prisoners there including old demented inmates. Oh well... grinning smiley

The good news is after freeing the prisoners and grabbing hundreds of firearms the mob captured and beaheaded the director of la Bastille.

Haha yeah I like that explanation.
Again though, that was many years ago that I didn't know the exact meaning, and have since learned many things about France having been back there multiple times.
And the fact my wife is part French and speaks it fluently, well...lets just say I've been schooled since then.

And speaking of guillotines, when I was a kid in the mid-late '60's, I built this plastic toy model kit that was an actual functioning guillotine. It was eventually banned or discontinued due to it's violent nature and complaints from parents, but I had loads of fun with it! It eventually became a huge collectors item, though mine was lost or destroyed through time. Thankfully they did an exact replica reproduction of the kit about 15 years ago, and needless to say I bought two at about $10 each- built and one and kept the other complete in package still shrink wrapped just like a record collector would do! smiling smiley

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 15, 2018 03:28

Go Croatia!!

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2018 04:24

HEY Yeah ... Bastille Day ...and it's also me berfday ….. gonna be a good one

Laughter and Peace …… XFX

ROCKMAN

Date: July 15, 2018 04:39

Happy Birthday Rockman. smileys with beer

Date: July 15, 2018 04:44

Fanks man …. have one for me ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 15, 2018 09:43

Hairball
Happy Birthday Rockman. smileys with beer

Cheers, Rockeee! smileys with beer

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 15, 2018 10:08

Happy birthday from me too! smileys with beer

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 15, 2018 10:34

Thanks Stoneage for this topic.

I am fond of history and as a French guy, the revolution is probably the most interesting area of our history.

If you take the tube at la Bastille, you still can see some remains of the Fortress.

I don't like the way it's been celebrated for decades in France.
It's just a pompous and ridiculous military parade.

anyway, happy birthday to those who were born on the 14th of July and .....

COME ON FRANCE for the final !!

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 15, 2018 10:53

dcba
Hairball

There were only 7 prisoners in the fortress.

The riot lasted a few hours and about 100 people were killed and lots of wounded.
Poor man, DE Launay, governor of La Bastille had a horrible death. He was lynched, stabbed many times and his head was sawn off by a butcher.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: July 15, 2018 11:04

Not sure to support FRANCE, on the ground there is only one guy, Mbappé, playing in the first league, the 10 others are expatriates.
Several of them, were in foreing countries since they were teenagers in professional formation center. When they arrived in the FRANCE TEAM, we didn't know who they were.
When we see "Griezmann" saying, "tous ensemble, les patriotes, vive la république", bouah, come in the french league. Not so much money for him in France.
They say the french league is not strong compared to Germany, England, Italy, Spain but if all french mercenaires would come back in France, it should be the best League in Europe.
But you do not have to trust me guys! smoking smiley

Date: July 15, 2018 11:18

But that is not true only for France, Ouroux58.It's the same for almost every team. It's international football of today. Which, in a way, makes club football stronger than national football.
Clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester United are the real rulers of football today.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: July 15, 2018 12:18

Stoneage
But that is not true only for France, Ouroux58.It's the same for almost every team. It's international football of today. Which, in a way, makes club football stronger than national football.
Clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester United are the real rulers of football today.

You're right, I know that. There is no way to support my country in this case just because it's my country.
People don't understand why I don't supprt Paris Saint-Germain (psg). I am a parisian but never like PSG.
The most important are the Clubs now because there is so much money to win. Money, money, next world cup in Qatar is a good example.
To please the qatar with this world cup, there will be changes in all championships. They should stop championships in november-december with all aftermath we can guess. Fantastic!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 15, 2018 13:21

Rockman

HEY Yeah ... Bastille Day ...and it's also me berfday ….. gonna be a good one

Laughter and Peace …… XFX

All the returns of the day, Rockman.

Enjoy that nice champagne. thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:42

Happy Bastille Day to all the French people out there.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:44

jpasc95
dcba
Hairball

The riot lasted a few hours and about 100 people were killed and lots of wounded.
Poor man, DE Launay, governor of La Bastille had a horrible death. He was lynched, stabbed many times and his head was sawn off by a butcher.

Hopefully Macron gets the same treatment.

Posted by: Paris75014 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 20:45

bleedingman
jpasc95
dcba
Hairball

Hopefully Macron gets the same treatment.
Next year, promised !smiling bouncing smiley

Date: July 14, 2021 22:42

Happy birthday Rockman and France!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 14, 2021 23:14

It's Rockmans birthday? Happy Birthday! Have a good one

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 15, 2021 12:19

Stoneage
Happy birthday Rockman and France!

+1 thumbs up

Liberte! Egalite! Fraternite!

Date: July 15, 2021 13:51

Hey yeah fanks guys ....
me berfday was yesterday .... but yeah fanks again ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 16, 2021 00:46

RUSH: Bastille Day Live 1976

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home