Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

It was 40 years ago today! New Orleans!
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 13:00

What a show with Van Halen, the Doobie Brothers and the Rolling Stones in the Louisiana Superdome.

Re: It was 40 years ago today! New Orleans!
Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:21

I was there but I don't remember much about it except is was a HUGE venue and there was so much smoke you could barely see the stage. I think it set some sort of attendance record at the time.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:49

Bungo
I was there but I don't remember much about it except is was a HUGE venue and there was so much smoke you could barely see the stage. I think it set some sort of attendance record at the time.[/quote

I’m not sure about this show but the 1981 show at the Superdome was the record for the largest indoor US concert for many years it still could be to this day I do not know if has been broken yet.

I’m pretty sure Alice Cooper holds the World indoor record of 160,000 1974 São Paulo Brazil

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-13 21:00 by virgil.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 13, 2018 21:34

Was thinking about this last week and we talked about this gem in 2004: [iorr.org]

Does anyone remember if Roth play that guitar shaped like an ice cream bar for Ice Cream Man?

Date: July 13, 2018 22:27

shattered
Was thinking about this last week and we talked about this gem in 2004: [iorr.org]

Does anyone remember if Roth play that guitar shaped like an ice cream bar for Ice Cream Man?

I don't remember anything. I didn't even know Van Halen played. I think we got there during the Doobies set. Also wasn't Ice Cream Man a solo Roth song many years later? I didn't know Roth even played guitar.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 13, 2018 22:55

Are there any photos/videos from this show?

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 14, 2018 01:48

Just check Youtube. The whole show is shown there.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 14, 2018 03:34

I was there all the way from central Florida! Van Halen played half an hour, don't remember Roth playing any guitar...the Doobie Brothers were the Michael McDonald version, they sound like Steely Dan then to me! The Stones were hours late, they even had a Russian acrobat team to take up some time, the Stones finally came on at 11:30 and played till 1:45. At the time that was the largest indoor crowd to ever see a rock concert. The video of the show is probably the worst ever, I bet it is 5th or 6th generations from the master!

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: July 14, 2018 03:45

If I had a time machine...

I'd go back to this gig and the shows in Orlando on 24/25 October '81 and see my two favorites on the same stage in their prime! The Stones and VH!

Worked with a woman 30 years ago who was at one of the Orlando shows. I'm sure I just stared at her in awe when she told me she was in attendance.

That shot on the back cover of Diver Down is a classic of VH taking a bow in Orlando, their final 2 gigs on the Fair Warning tour, which on 23 May in Dayton was my first-ever concert at 15...

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 14, 2018 04:33

I was very lucky - I saw Van Halen open for the Stones in New Orleans and Orlando. Great, great shows.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 14, 2018 04:59

Do we have to post every show they did. So what NO was 40 year ago.

Date: July 14, 2018 05:29

Shawn20
I was very lucky - I saw Van Halen open for the Stones in New Orleans and Orlando. Great, great shows.

I am not worthy...

Be proud, be very proud!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 14, 2018 05:47

Shawn20

You call that lucky??
I saw "The Greg Kihn Band" open for the Stones in Seattle the first show they replaced.... Prince- on the 81 tour drinking smiley

Date: July 14, 2018 21:48

Mr.D
I was there all the way from central Florida! Van Halen played half an hour, don't remember Roth playing any guitar...the Doobie Brothers were the Michael McDonald version, they sound like Steely Dan then to me! The Stones were hours late, they even had a Russian acrobat team to take up some time, the Stones finally came on at 11:30 and played till 1:45. At the time that was the largest indoor crowd to ever see a rock concert. The video of the show is probably the worst ever, I bet it is 5th or 6th generations from the master!

WoW! They came on at 11:30 and played till 1:45 !?! No wonder I remember so little. I must have been BlaStEd by that point. I sure as hell don't remeber any Russian acrobats. You couldn't do that show today because of the police state we live in. (thank you Al Qaeda). Does anyone remember if the floor was festival "seating" or assigned seating/chairs?

Also, I was at the '81 show in Houston and again I arrived late and didn't see the opening act(s). Are we saying that Van Halen opened for the Stones in '78 with their first record AND opened for them again in '81?

Date: July 15, 2018 02:50

VH opened in New Orleans in '78 and closed their Fair Warning tour in '81 with both Stones shows in Orlando.

Date: July 15, 2018 03:33

Bungo
Mr.D

WoW! They came on at 11:30 and played till 1:45 !?! No wonder I remember so little. I must have been BlaStEd by that point. I sure as hell don't remeber any Russian acrobats. You couldn't do that show today because of the police state we live in. (thank you Al Qaeda). Does anyone remember if the floor was festival "seating" or assigned seating/chairs?

Also, I was at the '81 show in Houston and again I arrived late and didn't see the opening act(s). Are we saying that Van Halen opened for the Stones in '78 with their first record AND opened for them again in '81?
It was still festival seating then, first come, first shove!smiling smiley

Date: July 15, 2018 03:38

TKinOH
VH opened in New Orleans in '78 and closed their Fair Warning tour in '81 with both Stones shows in Orlando.

I saw NO and both Orlando shows in '81, in '78 VH were virtually unknown but by '81 they were one of the biggest bands in the world! The Orlando Sentinel panned VH's performance at the October 24th show(Bill Wyman's birthday!) At the start of the 2nd days show Dave had a copy of the newspaper, he read some excerpt's from the negative article then turned around, pulled his pants down and mooned the audience!

Date: July 15, 2018 04:11

Mr.D
TKinOH

I saw NO and both Orlando shows in '81, in '78 VH were virtually unknown but by '81 they were one of the biggest bands in the world! The Orlando Sentinel panned VH's performance at the October 24th show(Bill Wyman's birthday!) At the start of the 2nd days show Dave had a copy of the newspaper, he read some excerpt's from the negative article then turned around, pulled his pants down and mooned the audience!

Classic Dave!

I'm sure it's lost on some of the folks here on IORR, but if you were in your formative years between '78 and '84, living in suburban America, VH were at their peak and dominated the concert scene... When they were on stage and said "We'll see ya next year, Dayton!", they were back on the next tour and meant it!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 15, 2018 09:20

TKinOH
Mr.D
TKinOH

Classic Dave!

I'm sure it's lost on some of the folks here on IORR, but if you were in your formative years between '78 and '84, living in suburban America, VH were at their peak and dominated the concert scene... When they were on stage and said "We'll see ya next year, Dayton!", they were back on the next tour and meant it!

Exactly! Three favourite bands in 1981 were Stones, Van Halen and AC/DC and still are to this day! Back then it was the norm for bands to release albums every year. VH played Vancouver in 79 and 80 but I was too young to see them but saw them in 81, 82 and 84 and then 3 times with Hagar then 2 more times with DLR. It seemed every issue of Circus, Creem and Hit Parader back then had VH articles.

As far as the 78 Superdome show, it was the largest indoor US crowd until Wrestlemania at the Silverdome beat it. One of the more famous Stones tour posters is the Superdome 78 poster.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 15, 2018 20:48

Cooltoplady
Do we have to post every show they did. So what NO was 40 year ago.

Was wondering the same and it maybe because of lost youth. I have this date marked on my annual calendar....and I didn't even go.

Below isn't from this show, but Dave did it his way. Read the top comment.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 16, 2018 15:57

A few notes:

I wasn't in NO but was at the Orlando 81 show (2nd day).

Ice Cream Man is on the 1st VH album, an old blues cover, I think.

DLR can indeed play the guitar - at least the bluesy part at the beginning of ICM.

You may be thinking of Just a Gigilo from Roth's solo stuff.

Yes, Roth mooned the crowd and wore those assless pants (chaps?)

Alex had a 4 bass drum kit and Charlie dusted him off before UMT was even over!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-16 17:52 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 16, 2018 16:15

I was there! Not The Stones best show of that tour. I saw that a few weeks earlier, June 28 in Memphis!

A great time, though!

Date: July 16, 2018 20:29

virgil
Bungo
I was there but I don't remember much about it except is was a HUGE venue and there was so much smoke you could barely see the stage. I think it set some sort of attendance record at the time.[/quote

I’m not sure about this show but the 1981 show at the Superdome was the record for the largest indoor US concert for many years it still could be to this day I do not know if has been broken yet.

I’m pretty sure Alice Cooper holds the World indoor record of 160,000 1974 São Paulo Brazil

I was at the 81 show and it was the indoor record. It was broke by George Strait at AT&T stadium a few years ago. He played in the round made more seats available.

The 81 Stones show was crazy. The floor was general admission. You actually had zero control of your body. I would lean front then back and side to side it was kinda scary. I was only 16 at the time. Guy in the crowd freaked out and pulled a knife out making everyone try to get away from him. The force of the crowd shoved me and my friend right up to the plywood barrier in front of the stage Keiths side. Got hosed down with a fire hose by Mick. Crazy crazy time that was for me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-16 22:39 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1372
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home