Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Do the stones have regrets.
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 13, 2018 17:02

keefriff99
Stoneage
Sure, Bliss. But isn't that narcissism? I mean, he doesn't seem to take in consideration how it affected other members of the group.
All we can go by is public persona, and so much of that is a put-on. Who knows if he's ever attempted to make amends behind the scene, yet insisted on putting on a defiant "no regrets" facade in interviews.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Keith's heroin honeymoon coincided with his most creative period, and the band may not have risen to the heights it did without that impetus. So he may not have any regrets on that score.

But he did state that it went on too long; long after it had any beneficial effect on his work and the group, and he did regret that.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 13, 2018 17:31

Bliss
keefriff99
Stoneage
Sure, Bliss. But isn't that narcissism? I mean, he doesn't seem to take in consideration how it affected other members of the group.
All we can go by is public persona, and so much of that is a put-on. Who knows if he's ever attempted to make amends behind the scene, yet insisted on putting on a defiant "no regrets" facade in interviews.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Keith's heroin honeymoon coincided with his most creative period, and the band may not have risen to the heights it did without that impetus. So he may not have any regrets on that score.

But he did state that it went on too long; long after it had any beneficial effect on his work and the group, and he did regret that.

But what about the continued use of drugs and an excessive use of alcohol way beyond his 'heroin phase'? Does that not count?

For Mick though I think his big regret is not seeing Allen Klein for what he was. Not sure he would ever say 'sorry' to Bill though for disregarding his views at the time (1965).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:07

Mick probably regrets Freejack. And maybe Lets Work (along with the video). And maybe his entire musical solo career, but at least he tried.
But after all that, if he still had hopes he could be successful on his own (if at first you don't succeed...try try again), his release of Getta Grip/England Lost was another strike against him.
Will he ever act again and/or record more solo material? You never know, but the odds of any success seem to be against him.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:16

No. No regrets.

Bjornulf

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:29

jlowe
Bliss
keefriff99
Stoneage

But what about the continued use of drugs and an excessive use of alcohol way beyond his 'heroin phase'? Does that not count?

For Mick though I think his big regret is not seeing Allen Klein for what he was. Not sure he would ever say 'sorry' to Bill though for disregarding his views at the time (1965).
He was a raging cocaine addict and alcoholic for 2/3 of his marriage to Patti and his daughters' entire early life...hell, he'd probably still be at it if he hadn't gotten injured in 2006.

Patti is madly in love with him and put up with all of it.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:39

bv
No. No regrets.

smileys with beer

All we have is right NOW

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:48

Hairball
Mick probably regrets Freejack. And maybe Lets Work (along with the video). And maybe his entire musical solo career, but at least he tried.
But after all that, if he still had hopes he could be successful on his own (if at first you don't succeed...try try again), his release of Getta Grip/England Lost was another strike against him.
Will he ever act again and/or record more solo material? You never know, but the odds of any success seem to be against him.

Odd how Mick's endeavors,if not huge commercial successes, are somehow regrets and failures. But if Neil Young tapes his ramblings in the shower he is praised as a creative genius that is above caring about success.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:50

Ol' Blue Eyes:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 13, 2018 19:52

RS dictionary does not contain that word.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:59

I would imagine Mick and Keith both wished they had achieved greater recognition for their solo outings. It's really only in the minds of fans that Keith was successful and Mick failed. Likewise, they both wish their studio work as the Stones had achieved greater success in the past 35 years. They both have platinum or gold records and both received awards from their industry for their solo endeavors. Mick's solo tours were hugely successful though fans in the States and Europe consider them differently than audiences in Japan and Australia who were there. It's all relative.

As for personal regrets (family, relationships, drugs); that is entirely personal. I wouldn't even put much in most of their few public pronouncements on personal matters because I would question whether they are 100% honest when talking to the media about matters that are no one else's business. If someone shoved a microphone in my face and asked me about my bad behavior decades ago or in the recent past, I doubt very much I would give a truthful answer.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:03

MisterDDDD
Hairball

Odd how Mick's endeavors,if not huge commercial successes, are somehow regrets and failures. But if Neil Young tapes his ramblings in the shower he is praised as a creative genius that is above caring about success.

???

Neil Young has had his fair share of fails and nobody has ever denied that. Same with Bob Dylan. This thread happens to be about the Stones though, so not sure where Neil Young and his failures fit in.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:13

There's some moments that may be classified as regrets, but Mick probably doesn't regret his solo efforts. SuperHeavy, for what it's worth, isn't too bad either. I gave it a play on the way up to work yesterday, and I enjoyed it very much.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:51

Do the Stones have regrets ??

The biggest one must be letting Mick Taylor go, or putting Taylor into a dissatisfied mental state by not being given more songwriting credits, lets face it they haven't written anything remotely as good since he left.
Losing his influence must be their greatest regret, but they would rather not admit it winking smiley
It was like trading in a race horse for a Dartmoor Pony and expecting the same results,winking smiley yes its funny and cute but it's not going to win the Grand National.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: July 13, 2018 21:01

Aquamarine
Regrets, they've probably had a few. But then again, too few to mention.

They certainly did it their way

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 21:07

Nope, I simply don't see them as the type to have regrets, not musically anyway and I think the egos probably generally prevent much in the form of any regrets at all...

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 13, 2018 22:44

Stoneage
You're right, dcba. Keith's "junky time" was certainly damaging to the group during the whole seventies. Not much on that in his biography though. There he talks about how much of a leader figure he is. Sure...

With all due respect dcba and Stoneage i have trouble seeing this as a negative as far as Keith's creative juices are concerned, this was Keith's most creative period, he grew and grew as a musician and a song writer, 67' to 78' the junkie years. Ok heroin use could have been a real problem to the band, but apart from Toronto at the end of Keith's usage it didn't effect his output, if anything it helped.
Keith has said himself songs like GS are heroin songs, they come from a dark place, i forget who said it now, it may have been Keith, he said GS is the sound of heroin.

I agree, it must have been a pain to the band for obvious reasons, but Keith never missed a show, he may have been three hours late but it was a case of better late than never.
To this day i'm not entirely convinced that Keith was using all the time, he said he used to clean up for tours but then slide back into heroin use when he got bored after tours, who are we to doubt his word ?
Between 67' when Keith started his heroin use, to 78' when he supposedly stopped it was a very very creative period with many albums and tours, sorry but i have to scratch my head when people say he lost creativity due to heroin or that it was damaging to the band.
How can Keith look back and regret any of his drug taking on a musical level, i'm sure he has many regrets about it on a personal level though.
I would go so far as to say when the drugs stopped working for Keith he was no where near as creative again, they don't work for everyone but they did for Keith, most of Keith's best performances live have been coke fueled , just look at him since he can't take coke, its not the same man up there on stage. The coke sharpened Keith when he had booze in him, it enabled him to still perform at that high level, it's not to say that Keith couldn't be great when he was straight, many performances throughout 89' 90' showed Keith to be visibly straight and sober, his fitness level was very high throughout those tours and on through the 90's up to 2003.
But then it all started to catch up on him and the drugs definitively didn't work so well, Keith should have seen this coming but like i say, better late than never.
Today we have a sober happy Keith playing to the best of his ability, no regrets, why should Keith's biography be full of regrets, the man is a walking living breathing miracle and people get jealous for some reason. Keith literately retained his cake and eat it too smoking smiley and the Sheppard's pie and the Bangers & Mash, the drugs the booze, the weed and the cigarettes, although i think it's high time he gave them up.winking smiley But then again how many people do we see give them up late in life to disastrous consequences, the body becomes accustomed to things and sometimes change is a shock to the system, Keith maybe aware of this. Ok sorry ramble over eye rolling smiley

Date: July 13, 2018 22:52

At some age you dont really regret things anymore but you see them ad part of life. Pretty sure the stones see it this way. Does keith regret climbing the tree? I dont think so, its just the way it went.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 22:56

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

keithsman
Do the Stones have regrets ??

The biggest one must be letting Mick Taylor go, or putting Taylor into a dissatisfied mental state by not being given more songwriting credits, lets face it they haven't written anything remotely as good since he left.
Losing his influence must be their greatest regret, but they would rather not admit it winking smiley
It was like trading in a race horse for a Dartmoor Pony and expecting the same results,winking smiley yes its funny and cute but it's not going to win the Grand National.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: July 13, 2018 23:12

They probably regret pricing this $5.99 breakfast special so low... FIVE NINETY NINE?? ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS???

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 14, 2018 01:00

I think Mick might regret that "the sound guy screwed up at Knebworth"...............

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 14, 2018 02:03

Mick:
“I think I just made the biggest mistake of my life”

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 14, 2018 03:14

Best response yet, Munichhilton.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 14, 2018 03:58

ABKCO

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 14, 2018 04:02

On an individual level, surely Keith regrets the death of his son, which happened while he was away from home and out on the road.

As he wrote in Life, it still hits him about once a week.

But other what they've admitted to publicly, I wouldn't presume to speak for them on their innermost personal concerns.

I'm more interested in the music, and how it relates to my own experience in life.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 14, 2018 09:43

I think there's a difference between "regret" as in "I wish I hadn't done that" (e.g. get hooked on heroin) and "regret" being used loosely to mean "I feel sad that that happened" (e.g. early death of Stu). The second isn't really an occasion for regret, as the person in question (the putative regretter, if you will) wasn't actually responsible for what happened. So they have nothing to regret, but a lot to feel sad about and to wish had turned out differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-14 09:44 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 14, 2018 11:46

bv
No. No regrets.

All in all, yes. At least not for all the reasons mentioned here in this thread. But I know they still regret signing the very contract in the 60's that ultimately lead to their loss of their pre-1971 masters and copyrights to ABKCO a few years later - signing the deal without fully understanding the consequences. It's not something that bugs them every day, of course, and it's a bit like regretting being young and unexperienced, and as I understand it, it's to a lesser degree the pure financial aspect, it's the loss of control over a substantial body of work that made them great.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 14, 2018 13:34

No use in having regrets though. Maybe if you can learn something from it. Time waits for no one anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-14 14:18 by Stoneage.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 14, 2018 18:09

Why should have regrets if you can't turn times...............

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: July 14, 2018 22:57

It is OK to have some grets, from time to time...
but to re view them and turn them in re grets and re-gret them over and reover is just silly

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 15, 2018 19:40

Hopefully. 1Gouging pricing and2. bad set lists

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home