Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

56 years ago today
Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: July 12, 2018 17:17

Happy anniversary to the Rolling Stones...
On Thursday July 12th 1962 the Rolling Stones
Advertised as Mick Jagger & The Rollin' Stones
did their very first public gig at the Marquee Club
in London. The band consisted of 6 members at this
time Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Dick Taylor, Brian
Jones (AKA Elmo Lewis), Ian Stewart and Tony Chapman
(On drums).. It was announced in the papers Mick Avory
was to be the drummer but that got changed at the last moment
(confirmed by Avory himself)
The Stones played two sets that night.. Long John Baldry's
Kansas City Blue boys were the other act that night..
No known photos or recording are known to exist from this
historic night (that I know of)

Re: 56 years ago today
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 12, 2018 17:25

Happy Anniversary - [iorr.org] - smileys with beer

Let's hope we can celebrate the 60th Anniversary in 2022 with Live-Concerts / a Tour of The Rolling Stones ....

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 12, 2018 17:30

56 and counting. Absurd I know, but just imagine if you could jump in a time machine and go back to that night, take the 2 18 year old boys from Dartford who survive from that original line up aside and tell them that their band would still be going in 56 years time, the reaction you would have got grinning smiley And attract 10s of millions of unborn future generations of fans too.

It truly is a phenomenon.

Date: July 12, 2018 17:34

Irix
Happy Anniversary - [iorr.org] - smileys with beer

Let's hope we can celebrate the 60th Anniversary in 2022 with Live-Concerts / a Tour of The Rolling Stones ....

Health permitting, I think it will happen. Short residencies of London & New York as per 2012. Back in 2012, we all though that was a last hurrah. How wrong we delightfully were. Bjornulf says they've done just over 100 shows since then. I've attended 22. Long live the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 12, 2018 17:55

Happy 56th Birthday To The Rolling Stones thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 12, 2018 17:58

BuenosAires will be my 39th gig with the Stones since 1976.
THANKS stones for being a main part in my life.
One Love.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-12 17:59 by corriecas.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: July 12, 2018 18:04

it is my birthday, too, but I am older, I'm from the year of the stratocaster smiling smiley

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: July 12, 2018 18:22

I'm just 2 months younger than the band
(see my name above)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-12 18:24 by 1962.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 12, 2018 18:46

Charlie was also busy that night.

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 12, 2018 20:30

I'm just 2 months younger than the band
(see my name above)

thumbs up

I'm one year + a few days younger than the band.

Incredible how long they've been at it...56 and counting...and hopefully many more...

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 12, 2018 21:09

56 years is amazing but probably does not top Frank Sinatra time in showbiz.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 12, 2018 21:24

A lone crooner vs. a Rock and Roll band with three original members... not really the same.
It's almost like comparing the longevity of a lone chess player vs. a football team.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 12, 2018 21:31

56 and counting!!!!! Cheers! smileys with beer

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 12, 2018 23:36

its amazing to think when i saw the stones in 1990 at hampden park glasgow on the 9th july(i think), i would be watching them in the first half.

if anyone had told me its half time in 3 days i would have laughed.

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: July 13, 2018 00:44

The photo which often purports to be from the Marquee gig (its in the "tours from now on" Sticky) Is that actually from the Marquee gig and do we know who the photographer is of that photo?. If it isn't from marquee dfop we know when it wss taken. There are a few others of Keith and Brian from the same gig which I have seen in the past. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Great that we have Stu's setlist as a momento. Once day I will try and listen to all the songs by the original artists.

Many have their dream stones gig mine would be if the lads played that same setlist at an anniversary type show. Even an album like B and L with that set list.

I'm 46 now and been in love with the Stones since I first heard Rewind and then Rolled Gold back in about 1982 when I was 10 years old. Will never get the feeling that hit me when I first heard those riffs and Jaggers voice for the first time. I love alot of music but nothing has hit me like that did before or since.The Stones have been a constant in my life nearly everyday since then. I recall missing them in Stockholm in 1990 thinking my life isn't complete as I probably will never get to see the Stones ( I was an exchange student from NZ and had tickets home and no money to cancel). Thankfully their touring days were just warming up as we have had a further 28 years plus of tours!

My last gigs were the 3 in Buenos Aires in the last South American tour. My beautiful 4 boys named Mick, Dylan, Tyler and Charlie have meant my touring opportunities are more limited these days. I will though get to possible Japanese or Argentina shows if they eventuate next year.

Date: July 13, 2018 00:58

buttons67
its amazing to think when i saw the stones in 1990 at hampden park glasgow on the 9th july(i think), i would be watching them in the first half.

if anyone had told me its half time in 3 days i would have laughed.

So would I. Putting it like that perfectly expresses the bonkersness of it all. My 1st Show was at the end of the same tour - the 2nd last night at Wembley on 24th August when they used the Steel Wheels Stsge in order to complete the filming for ‘At the Max’.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: July 13, 2018 02:55

Hello Masoudi;

The photo /photos you are speaking about are "NOT" from the first gig nor are they from 1962..The earliest I would give these is late Jan.63 or early Feb 63.. I believe the photographer was Philip Townsend..I have seen the contact
sheet for those and other photos taken and in those both Bill & Charlie are in them.
I have yet to see a photo of the Rolling Stones (full band no Charlie or Bill) from July 1962 until December 1962. I have a photo of Stu at the Marquee in Dec. 62 but not the rest of the band..I do have a couple leads but I have yet to follow up on them (I'm old and tired these days).. A photo (Stones in 1962) is as rare as one of Howard Hughes last 10 years of his life.
Anyone out there have leads?????

masoudi
The photo which often purports to be from the Marquee gig (its in the "tours from now on" Sticky) Is that actually from the Marquee gig and do we know who the photographer is of that photo?. If it isn't from marquee dfop we know when it wss taken. There are a few others of Keith and Brian from the same gig which I have seen in the past. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Great that we have Stu's setlist as a momento. Once day I will try and listen to all the songs by the original artists.

Many have their dream stones gig mine would be if the lads played that same setlist at an anniversary type show. Even an album like B and L with that set list.

I'm 46 now and been in love with the Stones since I first heard Rewind and then Rolled Gold back in about 1982 when I was 10 years old. Will never get the feeling that hit me when I first heard those riffs and Jaggers voice for the first time. I love alot of music but nothing has hit me like that did before or since.The Stones have been a constant in my life nearly everyday since then. I recall missing them in Stockholm in 1990 thinking my life isn't complete as I probably will never get to see the Stones ( I was an exchange student from NZ and had tickets home and no money to cancel). Thankfully their touring days were just warming up as we have had a further 28 years plus of tours!

My last gigs were the 3 in Buenos Aires in the last South American tour. My beautiful 4 boys named Mick, Dylan, Tyler and Charlie have meant my touring opportunities are more limited these days. I will though get to possible Japanese or Argentina shows if they eventuate next year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home