Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Steel Wheels stage design meeting with Mick, Charlie, Mark Fisher et al
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 12, 2018 02:26

I had never seen this before. Kind of tedious, but a fascinating look into the level of detail that goes into set design:

[youtu.be]

Re: Steel Wheels stage design meeting with Mick, Charlie, Mark Fisher et al
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 12, 2018 03:18

Mick looks like an evil doppelganger with that haircut! That Steel Wheels dew he wore was never one of my favorite Mick Jagger looks.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 12, 2018 04:00

Sighunt
Mick looks like an evil doppelganger with that haircut! That Steel Wheels dew he wore was never one of my favorite Mick Jagger looks.

He was still thinking 'solo career' with a new cleancut image for the younger mtv generation.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 12, 2018 05:38

This is a great interview from ABC's 20/20 with Stone Philips back in '89:

[www.youtube.com]

Lots of good concert footage...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 12, 2018 06:59

Of course those kind of enormous stages with massive scaffolding is history now. Now everything is built around huge video screens. The audience is the winner here.
Especially those on half distance. Better to look at a video screen than to stare into scaffolding and black tarpaulin...

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 12, 2018 09:51

Love this at 6:46 min:

Stage-Designer:

"Where do you see yourself working - very much in this area from side to side?"
Would it be just you go there?
Would Keith and Woody go there?"

Mick:

"Depends on how fit they are."

smiling smiley

Date: July 12, 2018 10:55

Oh men, Mark Fisher was really a pro

Date: July 12, 2018 15:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-12 15:38 by keefriff99.

Date: July 12, 2018 15:54

keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

I watched that many times, and it’s still on VHS somewhere in the depths of my attic. Mick is absolutely on fire in that clip of “Sympathy.” I could never track down the full performance. I think it’s in Toronto, but not the ‘89 Toronto that’s in wide circulation. Anyone know?

Date: July 12, 2018 16:33

MelBelli
keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

I watched that many times, and it’s still on VHS somewhere in the depths of my attic. Mick is absolutely on fire in that clip of “Sympathy.” I could never track down the full performance. I think it’s in Toronto, but not the ‘89 Toronto that’s in wide circulation. Anyone know?
I couldn't BELIEVE the way he was snarling his way through those lyrics...I've never seen him perform like that post-'89.

Overall, a fantastic segment...it showed up on my YouTube feed when I clicked on the stage design vid, so I figured I'd post it.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 12, 2018 16:44

MelBelli

Zentgraf says it might come from East Troy.
Since they played 3 shows there it might be a solid option

Date: July 12, 2018 17:43

Doc
MelBelli

Zentgraf says it might come from East Troy.
Since they played 3 shows there it might be a solid option

That would make sense, as the intro mentioned ABC caught up with the band in the Midwest. It sounds like Mick says “Thank you, Toronto” in the last clip of JJF. ... I wonder what Elton John was doing in East Troy, Wisconsin. Playing an arena?

Date: July 12, 2018 18:42

For the record, Elton John had a brief break between shows in Michigan and Ohio:

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Date: July 12, 2018 19:42

I loved this interview when it first aired. Philly '89 was my first Stones concert and this interview was after I saw them. It's was a reminder and still is of the excitement I had seeing them live for the first time.

Also I have never heard SFTD so good since. Mick was really getting into it and Keith was spot on with the solo. They were incredible in '89.

Date: July 12, 2018 20:48

I can’t find the specific clip, but these East Troy shows were absolutely lit! Mick leaned into the music with his voice in a way that we seldom hear anymore (for obvious defensible physical reasons).

Thank you to the Glimmer Stone for recently uploading them:

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Date: July 12, 2018 20:51

What the hell led the Stones to play THREE shows in East Troy, Wisconsin, of all places? Seems like a very odd and random spot to play three gigs, let alone one.

Date: July 12, 2018 20:57

keefriff99
What the hell led the Stones to play THREE shows in East Troy, Wisconsin, of all places? Seems like a very odd and random spot to play three gigs, let alone one.

They hadn’t toured in eight years. Demand was off the charts. Tickets were still affordable.

Date: July 12, 2018 21:22

MelBelli
keefriff99

They hadn’t toured in eight years. Demand was off the charts. Tickets were still affordable.
I get that, but it's still such a strange part of a relatively small state to focus on. But hey, as long as they made their money and the fans left happy.

Date: July 12, 2018 21:57

keefriff99
MelBelli
keefriff99

I get that, but it's still such a strange part of a relatively small state to focus on. But hey, as long as they made their money and the fans left happy.

To disappear farther down this fun rabbit hole, here’s the wiki entry on the venue:

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

“The theatre is located roughly equidistant between Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford, and Chicago, and therefore draws a wide regional audience.

“Alpine Valley is generally considered the Milwaukee stop on major tours and the Chicago stop when the act doesn't perform in Illinois.”

Location aside, it’s a “shed”-style amphitheater. They couldn’t have fit the whole stage in it (the original topic of this thread), could they?

Date: July 12, 2018 22:04

MelBelli
keefriff99
MelBelli
keefriff99

To disappear farther down this fun rabbit hole, here’s the wiki entry on the venue:

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

“The theatre is located roughly equidistant between Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford, and Chicago, and therefore draws a wide regional audience.

“Alpine Valley is generally considered the Milwaukee stop on major tours and the Chicago stop when the act doesn't perform in Illinois.”

Location aside, it’s a “shed”-style amphitheater. They couldn’t have fit the whole stage in it (the original topic of this thread), could they?
Perfect explanation...thank you!

Also...there's no way in hell any shed in America could have accommodated the Steel Wheels stage.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: July 12, 2018 23:28

This is old stuff. I'm 68 of age. Nothing new for older fans.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: July 13, 2018 01:04

They had a chip on their shoulder with something to prove again. We should be so lucky to have a tour concept now based around a new album. Not everyone's favourite time period but I did not mind. Ushered in the mega themed tour concepts with songs that hit radio play again.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2018 01:24

PalaisRoyale
They had a chip on their shoulder with something to prove again. We should be so lucky to have a tour concept now based around a new album. Not everyone's favourite time period but I did not mind. Ushered in the mega themed tour concepts with songs that hit radio play again.

Yes. Great tour, so-so album - but at least it was a new album, and I'd happily take that over the themeless nostalgia shows of today any time.
When the "newest" original song they play is 37 years old something doesn't seem quite right to me, but that's the way it is.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: July 13, 2018 23:42

keefriff99
MelBelli
keefriff99
MelBelli
keefriff99

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Perfect explanation...thank you!

Also...there's no way in hell any shed in America could have accommodated the Steel Wheels stage.

Alpine Valley is definitely in the top 3 of legendary venues to see the Grateful Dead at, it also happens to be the site of Stevie Ray Vaughans death...but I'm sure that's all in the wikipedia page somewhere.

Did anyone figure out where that epic Mick sympathy clip is from?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1617
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home