Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 82
Re: The Rolling Stones Tours 2019 and on - North America next up
Posted by: dave9199 ()
Date: September 16, 2018 17:13

Rocky Dijon
What I mean is this, after BRIDGES a new album was not the impetus for the tour. As it was, VOODOO LOUNGE material came at the expense of STEEL WHEELS material and BRIDGES material came at the expense of VOODOO LOUNGE material. With the exception of "You Got Me Rocking" they were not building a setlist respecting their latterday work so much as alotting a bit of time for new songs amidst the greatest hits. That didn't happen in 1981 where they kept 5 songs from SOME GIRLS and added as many songs from TATTOO YOU and two more from EMOTIONAL RESCUE. And yes, that's not including Keith's lead vocal spot.

Starting with LICKS, they only played one new song. I know there wasn't a full album, but they didn't even bother playing the other new songs. On A BIGGER BANG, there was less emphasis on new material. The most consistent songs were the two rockers. By a couple shows in 2006, they played no material from A BIGGER BANG. That was no longer a tour driven by an album. It was a nostalgia tour with a half-hearted effort to acknowledge the relevance of new material. Since 2012, they've done one or two new songs and for the past three years that means material drawn from an album of covers. They've had exactly two new Jagger-Richards tracks recorded since 2005 (13 years ago) that they've bothered to play live and they dropped them several years ago already.

They still put on an amazing show. They're remarkable performers, but they didn't even attempt to play material from the EXILE or SOME GIRLS bonus discs. As performers, they've been a nostalgia act for nearly twenty years. Some would argue longer. They're still creative in as much as they write and record material, but their decision to not keep building material from the eighties, nineties, and beyond into their setlist the way someone like Springsteen or Dylan has done means the perception is the material isn't releavant since TATTOO YOU. That hurts catalog sales, airplay, and the public perception as well as their own perception and confidence in themselves as artists. From that perspective, the nostalgia banner has been flying for quite some time.

I felt they became a nostalgia act when I heard they were touring a greatest hits album in 2002 with Forty Licks. I remember thinking "I guess that's longest a rock band can go before that happens." I was wondering how long a band could go before it stopped being about a new album and using The Stones as a template because they had been around the longest. I'm still fascinated with how long they will be together and when and why it will end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-16 17:16 by dave9199.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 16, 2018 19:10

Upon hearing the 2002 outtakes one might think they "avoided" an album to tour with.
The tour itself was awesome. They really sounded good. The Four Flicks set is a must have.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 16, 2018 19:11

Rocky Dijon
They're still creative in as much as they write and record material, but their decision to not keep building material from the eighties, nineties, and beyond into their setlist the way someone like Springsteen or Dylan has done means the perception is the material isn't releavant since TATTOO YOU. That hurts catalog sales, airplay, and the public perception as well as their own perception and confidence in themselves as artists. From that perspective, the nostalgia banner has been flying for quite some time.

I agree. But then: their material pre-Tatoo you was so much better. I love Steel Wheels but if I compare it to Let it Bleed...

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 16, 2018 20:42

I like all eras...
of course all OF their albums have toss away songs, but all all their albums have some gems...

I can wait for a tour announcement... or even a solid hint.

I remember that day the ZIPPER billboards went up around here.... THAT WAS A GOOD DAY!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 16, 2018 20:55

nick
Upon hearing the 2002 outtakes one might think they "avoided" an album to tour with.
The tour itself was awesome. They really sounded good. The Four Flicks set is a must have.

It's been awhile since I listened to them, but I thought the outtakes were great for the most part (except for Don't Stop), and a shame they didn't put an album together.
On the bright side, the Licks tour had such a wide variety of songs from their entire catalogue, and along with the theater/club/arena/stadium format it was a fantastic tour.

schwonek
Rocky Dijon
They're still creative in as much as they write and record material, but their decision to not keep building material from the eighties, nineties, and beyond into their setlist the way someone like Springsteen or Dylan has done means the perception is the material isn't releavant since TATTOO YOU. That hurts catalog sales, airplay, and the public perception as well as their own perception and confidence in themselves as artists. From that perspective, the nostalgia banner has been flying for quite some time.

I agree. But then: their material pre-Tatoo you was so much better. I love Steel Wheels but if I compare it to Let it Bleed...

Not a big fan of Steel Wheels by any means (give or take a tune or two), and to compare it to Let it Bleed seems almost ridiculous. The tour itself was great though, especially given the long hiatus since the '81/'82 tours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-16 20:55 by Hairball.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 16, 2018 20:59

dave9199
Rocky Dijon
What I mean is this, after BRIDGES a new album was not the impetus for the tour. As it was, VOODOO LOUNGE material came at the expense of STEEL WHEELS material and BRIDGES material came at the expense of VOODOO LOUNGE material. With the exception of "You Got Me Rocking" they were not building a setlist respecting their latterday work so much as alotting a bit of time for new songs amidst the greatest hits. That didn't happen in 1981 where they kept 5 songs from SOME GIRLS and added as many songs from TATTOO YOU and two more from EMOTIONAL RESCUE. And yes, that's not including Keith's lead vocal spot.

Starting with LICKS, they only played one new song. I know there wasn't a full album, but they didn't even bother playing the other new songs. On A BIGGER BANG, there was less emphasis on new material. The most consistent songs were the two rockers. By a couple shows in 2006, they played no material from A BIGGER BANG. That was no longer a tour driven by an album. It was a nostalgia tour with a half-hearted effort to acknowledge the relevance of new material. Since 2012, they've done one or two new songs and for the past three years that means material drawn from an album of covers. They've had exactly two new Jagger-Richards tracks recorded since 2005 (13 years ago) that they've bothered to play live and they dropped them several years ago already.

They still put on an amazing show. They're remarkable performers, but they didn't even attempt to play material from the EXILE or SOME GIRLS bonus discs. As performers, they've been a nostalgia act for nearly twenty years. Some would argue longer. They're still creative in as much as they write and record material, but their decision to not keep building material from the eighties, nineties, and beyond into their setlist the way someone like Springsteen or Dylan has done means the perception is the material isn't releavant since TATTOO YOU. That hurts catalog sales, airplay, and the public perception as well as their own perception and confidence in themselves as artists. From that perspective, the nostalgia banner has been flying for quite some time.

I felt they became a nostalgia act when I heard they were touring a greatest hits album in 2002 with Forty Licks. I remember thinking "I guess that's longest a rock band can go before that happens." I was wondering how long a band could go before it stopped being about a new album and using The Stones as a template because they had been around the longest. I'm still fascinated with how long they will be together and when and why it will end.

What are the likelihoods of the following:
1. The played their last show in Poland -5%
2. It'll be over in a year 20%
3. It'll be over in two years - 40%
4. It'll be over by 60th anniversary in 2022 - 75%
5. It'll be over by 2025 - 85%
6. It'll be over by 2030 - 99&?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 16, 2018 21:01

It will be over in 5489.
Jeroen

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 16, 2018 21:10

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 16, 2018 21:24

Send It To me
1. The played their last show in Poland -5%
2. It'll be over in a year 20%

They will play 2 shows in Poland in 2 years is 4x more likely theat it will be over in a year? Why? Sorry, this makes no sence at all

On the contrary - is there a 95% chance of another show in Polad? Are you not being too optimistic?

corriecas
It will be over in 5489.
Jeroen

This is way more likely :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-16 21:28 by Happy24.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 17, 2018 06:46

They are men in their seventies. Three of them will be over 75 by the end of the year. The likelihood it is already over or will be soon is extremely high. That said, they perform like they are in great shape and are able to get backing for high profile stadium and arena tours so they may indeed keep this rolling for a year or two or more. Betting on it is madness at their ages, though. The same as it is for The Who or Macca.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 17, 2018 08:33

dave9199
Rocky Dijon

Sorry to say this folks butI think after the US next year it could be curtain time. I don't want it but look at their ages,can't keep going forever.I do wish them the best.

Date: September 17, 2018 12:33

babyblue
dave9199
Rocky Dijon

Sorry to say this folks butI think after the US next year it could be curtain time. I don't want it but look at their ages,can't keep going forever.I do wish them the best.

Curtain time in the US, perhaps, but no way they're not wrapping it up in England.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 15:28

DandelionPowderman
babyblue
dave9199
Rocky Dijon

Curtain time in the US, perhaps, but no way they're not wrapping it up in England.

Hopefully the other UK nations get a wee shot too. 6 shows in England plus 1 each in Scotland and Wales, all attracting big crowds shows there is demand here. Their final show really ought to be in London though as the home city of all 4 Stones. If all stay healthy then there's definitely more gas in the tank based on this year's efforts.

On Saturday I went to my village post office in Oxfordshire to collect a parcel. The young woman who served me asked me about my Stones Tee and excitedly told me how she was a long time massive fan and finally saw them at London 2 in May. She was early 30s and married with kids so bigger priorities in life but she was thrilled to finally have seen them. There are tens of thousands more like her all over the country. I'd love them to do another UK Tour like this year's and it would be the perfect swansong.

Date: September 17, 2018 15:29

grzegorz67
DandelionPowderman
babyblue
dave9199
Rocky Dijon

Hopefully the other UK nations get a wee shot too. 6 shows in England plus 1 each in Scotland and Wales, all attracting big crowds shows there is demand here. Their final show really ought to be in London though as the home city of all 4 Stones. If all stay healthy then there's definitely more gas in the tank based on this year's efforts.

On Saturday I went to my village post office in Oxfordshire to collect a parcel. The young woman who served me asked me about my Stones Tee and excitedly told me how she was a long time massive fan and finally saw them at London 2 in May. She was early 30s and married with kids so bigger priorities in life but she was thrilled to finally have seen them. There are tens of thousands more like her all over the country. I'd love them to do another UK Tour like this year's and it would be the perfect swansong.

Love those encounters (and stories)!

Date: September 17, 2018 19:41

babyblue
dave9199
Rocky Dijon

Anything beyond the upcoming US tour is wishful thinking. In fact right at this moment the upcoming unannounced rumoured US tour is wishful thinking. Given their ripe old age, you never know what can happen from one day to the next. And even without taking their ripe old age into consideration, anything can happen. Considering all they've been through, it's miraculous we're even still talking about them as a band in the present tense. Hoping they continue to roll for eternity, but the reality is everything must come to an end, and when/where it stops nobody knows. First things first, here's hoping they make it back to the US as has been speculated throughout this thread - anything beyond that only time will tell.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 17, 2018 23:36

If I had known I would become part of the most quoted conversation in recent memory, I'd have made sure I'd spelt relevant properly.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 18, 2018 02:28

If they don’t go back on the road, Keith could always write
‘Life: Part 2’ taking it up from the 1990’s where it seemed to have left off...
smoking smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 18, 2018 14:19

Rocky Dijon
If I had known I would become part of the most quoted conversation in recent memory, I'd have made sure I'd spelt relevant properly.

grinning smiley

Oh, well, yeah, but, you know... in hindsight... all that's just Life , buddy. smoking smiley

Date: September 18, 2018 14:20

Rocky Dijon

It's more like a little bush, compared to some of the real conversation trees round here grinning smiley

NYC 2018
Posted by: rubyeveryday ()
Date: September 17, 2018 03:49

Disk Jockey on NYC radio station tonight said that he had it on very good authority that Stones would be playing NYC, likely MSG, Newark and Nassau, this Fall.

Re: NYC 2018
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 17, 2018 03:59

Unless the DJ is named Bjornulf, skeptical I am.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 17, 2018 04:33

It is this fall.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 17, 2018 05:33

According to a soundguy.. they will tour from may to july in the usa

Date: September 17, 2018 05:38

Maybe they'll do a string of dates at MSG this fall for a special project or something, and then do a proper mini-tour of the rest of North America next summer in massive outdoor stadiums.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 17, 2018 06:11

Not possible. I will be in NYC only until Oct 6th so they would have announced by now. eye popping smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 17, 2018 06:45

rubyeveryday
Disk Jockey on NYC radio station tonight said that he had it on very good authority that Stones would be playing NYC, likely MSG, Newark and Nassau, this Fall.

DJ and station?

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 17, 2018 06:47

"Do You Get Overwhelmed By This Site?"

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 17, 2018 06:59

shattered
"Do You Get Overwhelmed By This Site?"

This really made me laugh, thanks :-)