Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 82
Re: The Rolling Stones Tours 2019 and on - North America next up
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2018 11:01

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
atip
bv
The way I know The Rolling Stones they will never end up like a Vegas act. They tend to tour where people live, not places where most people have to travel far to see them.

I hope not. When you start doing long-term residencies and playing corporate annual employee events and conferences (like Aerosmith), IMHO, you've given up the last vestige of being a relevant rock band. I realize The Stones became mainstream, long ago, but they still know how to create a lot of excitement on the road. I wouldn't want to see them become a 'Vegas lounge act' in their final years.

Of course, for the big fans (who can scrape up the money), traveling far and wide to see the band is a big part of the thrill.

They've been a Vegas act for quite some time. Have you ever gone to a Vegas show? It's all the hits, all the time - at a residency, performed at one location. That finally wears thin.

How is anything they've done different from any tour within the last six years? How is 2014 different from 2017? They could all have the same name and same set. Same musicians. Same songs. What? putting two numbers from Blue & Lonesome makes it all fresh again? How is Tumbling Dice 2012 any different from 2018? The arrangements are the same. Where is the novelty? It escapes me why it's important to hear the same songs, delivered at the same pace, over and over again. Everybody acts like they reinvented the wheel because we got Emotional Rescue at a couple gigs. Where's the challenge? They don't even challenge themselves anymore. It's like slipping into the same worn, comfortable slippers every night. Is that rock and roll?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 14, 2018 11:08

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
atip
bv
The way I know The Rolling Stones they will never end up like a Vegas act. They tend to tour where people live, not places where most people have to travel far to see them.

I hope not. When you start doing long-term residencies and playing corporate annual employee events and conferences (like Aerosmith), IMHO, you've given up the last vestige of being a relevant rock band. I realize The Stones became mainstream, long ago, but they still know how to create a lot of excitement on the road. I wouldn't want to see them become a 'Vegas lounge act' in their final years.

Of course, for the big fans (who can scrape up the money), traveling far and wide to see the band is a big part of the thrill.

They've been a Vegas act for quite some time. Have you ever gone to a Vegas show? It's all the hits, all the time - at a residency, performed at one location. That finally wears thin.

How is anything they've done different from any tour within the last six years? How is 2014 different from 2017? They could all have the same name and same set. Same musicians. Same songs. What? putting two numbers from Blue & Lonesome makes it all fresh again? How is Tumbling Dice 2012 any different from 2018? The arrangements are the same. Where is the novelty? It escapes me why it's important to hear the same songs, delivered at the same pace, over and over again. Everybody acts like they reinvented the wheel because we got Emotional Rescue at a couple gigs. Where's the challenge? They don't even challenge themselves anymore. It's like slipping into the same worn, comfortable slippers every night. Is that rock and roll?

"Comfortable Slippers" - next tour name?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 14, 2018 11:18

24FPS

May be you lost interest in the band.

I live in the same small little community I was born in, I am married to the same woman I met when I was 17 years old, I have loved the Stones as long as I have loved my wife. I don't want to replace any of them and I am happy the way they are, so I keep being married and I keep going to shows to see their great performances.

Bjornulf

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: September 14, 2018 11:51

I hear you re the importance of repetition,& relationships(I’m the same as you timewise) and I do wish they’d be more daring and bold, like when Mick says jokingly on the Sticky Fingers Fonda setbthst they’re going to do Their Satanic Majesties, I think that would be brilliant at the Royal Albert Hall with the BBC Symphony Orchestra plus a few other songs from that period put in the concert, like a few outtakes,Loving Sacred Loving, We Love You, Ruby Tuesday, Dandelion....anyway it would be so fab!!!
BUT saw them in London and Marseille this year and I MARVELLED at them. There were lots of new arrangements of our favourite tunes, as well as buckets of energy!!! MR and SFM were worth the ticket price alone!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 14, 2018 12:49

They could easily do all of Let It Bleed as a single show.

Posted by: laughinearlydied ()
Date: September 14, 2018 14:04

the comeback was awesome at first.

The only difference from being a Vegas act right now is the fact they travel a little bit between the shows.

I get it, they are old, they are just not able to play some songs anymore. some say that they play the same old shit because people want to hear it. that is a lie, fans don't want to hear it and the rest these days is at the gig because it is the stones and they don't care what they play 80% of the time simply because they only know like 6 songs anyway.

then there are ticket prices.

they are just not a rock n roll band, but a brand. the energy at the gigs is getting lower, because to be honest, a lot of people paying those $800 tickets are older people at the front, just standing there like they are at the bus station. always at the biggest stadium available. always the same setlist. always the same everything. nothing interesting, no unpredictability, no fun, no extra gig, even the merch sucks ass.

I hate to think that Keith enjoys this. I can't imagine they meet after a few months, and someone says "hey, how about a tour with the same songs as the last few decades, at the same places, but get this! a slightly bigger stage!" and they are all like "oh my god that is just what I want to do with my precious time".

I hate this attitude of some people here, that basically think that they can't be criticised. they hell they cant. I care about the band and im pissed of when I see how they are becoming Celine dion, with satisfaction and 689076 types of VIP tickets for thousands of dollars. @#$%& that.

actually when I think about it, if nothing changes, vegas residency would be the only place when I would casually enjoy to see them there days. one day some magic show, one they strip clubs and one day a show from the band I like playing some 50yo hits. that would be fine, but be honest about it. what they are doing now is sad. instead of "hell yea, what a rocknroll band!" it became "wow, cant believe they can stand that long, kinda cool". that is bullshit,

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
atip
bv

Date: September 14, 2018 14:12

<How is anything they've done different from any tour within the last six years?>

Well, the setlists were radically different in 2012 to 2017. They toured arenas in 2013. The swapped opening numbers frequently on the second leg of the No Filter-tour.

By and large, though, they don't do big changes to a «winning formula». With a new album under their belt, they are bound to make some changes, though.

<That is a lie, fans don't want to hear it and the rest these days is at the gig because it is the stones and they don't care what they play 80% of the time simply because they only know like 6 songs anyway>

Should they nurse the 10 percent hard core fans, stretch for a new fan base, make the «tourists» happy or try to please everyone?

I reckon they have chosen the latter. They give us a few nuggets and belt out the huge hits toward the end of the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 14:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: September 14, 2018 16:56

laughinearlydied
the comeback was awesome at first.

The only difference from being a Vegas act right now is the fact they travel a little bit between the shows.

I get it, they are old, they are just not able to play some songs anymore. some say that they play the same old shit because people want to hear it. that is a lie, fans don't want to hear it and the rest these days is at the gig because it is the stones and they don't care what they play 80% of the time simply because they only know like 6 songs anyway.

then there are ticket prices.

they are just not a rock n roll band, but a brand. the energy at the gigs is getting lower, because to be honest, a lot of people paying those $800 tickets are older people at the front, just standing there like they are at the bus station. always at the biggest stadium available. always the same setlist. always the same everything. nothing interesting, no unpredictability, no fun, no extra gig, even the merch sucks ass.

I hate to think that Keith enjoys this. I can't imagine they meet after a few months, and someone says "hey, how about a tour with the same songs as the last few decades, at the same places, but get this! a slightly bigger stage!" and they are all like "oh my god that is just what I want to do with my precious time".

I hate this attitude of some people here, that basically think that they can't be criticised. they hell they cant. I care about the band and im pissed of when I see how they are becoming Celine dion, with satisfaction and 689076 types of VIP tickets for thousands of dollars. @#$%& that.

actually when I think about it, if nothing changes, vegas residency would be the only place when I would casually enjoy to see them there days. one day some magic show, one they strip clubs and one day a show from the band I like playing some 50yo hits. that would be fine, but be honest about it. what they are doing now is sad. instead of "hell yea, what a rocknroll band!" it became "wow, cant believe they can stand that long, kinda cool". that is bullshit,

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
atip
bv

-The majority of fans only see the group once every several years, if they play close to home. For all of them, does it really matter if you hear most of the same songs? For those who complain so adamantly, how many times have you actually seen The Stones? How many more times would you REALLY have gone if you knew it wasn't going to be the same show?
-If they went too deep into the catalog in front of 60,000 people, you'd have a lot of disappointed 'fans'. I do agree that they definitely have enough songs to change it up a lot more and still be crowd pleasers.
-Remember when they did the ballroom/arena/stadium tour? If they did something similar, but made the ballroom gigs a completely different setlist w/ no top hits. Even if it was a lot looser show, I think the 'hard core fans' would be happy, but then you'd hear the whining about how they couldn't get a ticket.
-As for the pit/front being a bunch of old people with money that have no energy or excitement, that's not true.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: September 14, 2018 17:22

Stones ticket prices are definitely steep but they've never been the Grateful Dead, playing different sets every night. Look at the '69 and '72 tours, for example. Basically the same set list every night, the only difference being the greatest hits were new songs then.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 14, 2018 19:13

A Licks-type format would be invigorating. If they played a stadium show and then a theater gig with rarities in each city - just to keep the band kicking and the hard-core fans interested. I mean, I get giving people what they want. If I see a band I'm not a superfan of, but like, I do just really want a greatest hits show. I saw Stevie Wonder do "Songs in the Key of Life" on tour and it was cool, but I, not knowing that whole record, was admittedly like "man, are you gonna play 'Superstition' or what??"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2018 19:32

The song remains the same, yet the ticket prices continue to rise.

The Licks Tour was the last truly great tour for a wide variety of tunes thanks to the theater/arena/stadium format,
while the 50 and Counting tour was the last truly great tour as far as musicianship thanks to Mick Taylor.

If they do have a new album coming (still a big if), chances are very slim they'll play more than one or two songs from it each night.
Given the mini-tour factor of apprx. 14 shows with a somewhat static setlist set at only 19 songs, there's just not enough room to change things up that much.
Throw in an "obscure" tune like Dancing With Mr. D occasionally, add one new song (if there's a new album that is), and the rest will probably remain unchanged.

That said, looking forward to seeing one more show...

Date: September 14, 2018 19:40

It's easy for them to swap four songs from the first half of the set with four new ones and still play 19 songs? It shouldn't be complicated at all.

Date: September 14, 2018 19:53

You would think so, but Mick has stated a few years ago he doesn't want to bore people with too much stuff they've never heard.
If it were up to me they'd play the new album in it's entirety (if there is one), but of course I'd be in a very small minority as the general masses would probably be bored to death demanding to hear all the warhorses.

EDIT: Found the quote from 2013:

'People don't want it'

"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage," Jagger told USA Today.
"They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute'. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 20:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 14, 2018 20:08

Hairball
You would think so, but Mick has stated a few years ago he doesn't want to bore people with too much stuff they've never heard.
If it were up to me they'd play the new album in it's entirety (if there is one), but of course I'd be in a very small minority as the general masses would probably be bored to death demanding to hear all the warhorses.

It is obviously pure fantasyland, but what do you think would happen if they put out a new album and played it, along with 3 or 4 hits only, like in 78? Could they play stadia ( I finally got the word right)? They could do a theatre tour but theres not enough money in it. All of which presumes that they get together for long enough time in advance to (1) produce an album's worth of Rolling Stones songs worth playing and (2) put in enough rehearsal time to do it.

Date: September 14, 2018 20:12

Yeah, pure fantasy to think they would play a new album in it's entirety these days, though I'm sure there are a handful of us who would welcome it.
Even playing more than one or two new songs seems a stretch given what Mick has stated (edited my post above to include Mick quote).

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: September 14, 2018 20:42

I hope it's OK if I just go see The Stones 'cause I enjoy it...

Date: September 14, 2018 22:10

TKinOH

That's what most of us do thumbs up

Date: September 14, 2018 22:12

Hairball

'People don't want it'

"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage," Jagger told USA Today.
"They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute'. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."

I wouldn't take that literally - Mick says a lot of things (check out his 2005 quote on the importance of having new songs in the set).

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 14, 2018 22:17

babyblue
Paddy
DGA35
Man I hope they come to Vancouver one last time! Been 12 years now.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES Please.[/quote)

Hope so...and Seattle. not or Seattle but and.

Yes! BC Place with the roof open and Century Link Field!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 14, 2018 22:30

DandelionPowderman
Mick says a lot of things (check out his 2005 quote on the importance of having new songs in the set).

Where might one find that quote, or the content thereof?

Date: September 14, 2018 23:24

bye bye johnny
DandelionPowderman
Mick says a lot of things (check out his 2005 quote on the importance of having new songs in the set).

If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear Brown Sugar than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough. We can do more repackages (rolls his eyes). But everyone was up for it.

- Mick Jagger, 2005

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 14, 2018 23:42

Nice. Thanks, DP.

Posted by: laughinearlydied ()
Date: September 14, 2018 23:56

this is precisely how it should be.
and the same goes for the venues. play where you find it fun and exciting, not just the stupid football stadiums.

but when a million dollars is more important then everything else...

DandelionPowderman
bye bye johnny
DandelionPowderman

If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear Brown Sugar than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough. We can do more repackages (rolls his eyes). But everyone was up for it.

- Mick Jagger, 2005

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 15, 2018 00:05

TKinOH

Despite what you read here...it's still OK!

And the USA will get more than a 19 song setlist so not a problem for new tunes.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 15, 2018 00:36

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
atip
bv

thumbs up

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 15, 2018 01:08

I love The Stones, always did, always will. Have not posted here for a long time, but....I wish they would take some chances concerning the set list...they have got so much to choose from, I mean, they have made all the money they could ever spend so why not let it loose, and play whatever they want for the rest of their touring life, we will come anyway, right?.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: September 15, 2018 01:22

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

'People don't want it'

I wouldn't take that literally - Mick says a lot of things (check out his 2005 quote on the importance of having new songs in the set).

I'm well aware of that older quote, but am going on what he said more recently.
In fact I tried to show the hypocrisy between the two quotes a while back, and was scolded by someone saying to me "he changed his mind, he knows whats best, so what, blah, blah, blah"
And if we're not to take that recent quote literally, why should we trust what he said way back in 2005? Still find it hard to imagine them adding more than one or two new songs to a setlist made up of only 19 songs,
and would be surprised if they do at this point. Whatever the case, it's sort of putting the cart before the (war) horse as it all depends if a new album is ever finished, and here's to hoping one does get finished some day. thumbs up

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 15, 2018 01:37

Would love to see the iorr band in NYC.

DandelionPowderman
bye bye johnny
DandelionPowderman

- Mick Jagger, 2005

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 15, 2018 01:57

bleedingman
Would love to see the iorr band in NYC.

DandelionPowderman
bye bye johnny
DandelionPowderman

- Mick Jagger, 2005

[timeisonourside.com]

I agree but not as much as I did then. Times have changed .. and they have changed .. Now they do not need an album for every tour (tours are much shorter now and more frequent). The music buying landscape has changed as well. HOWEVER ya gotta have some new product (with new material/albums) here and there IMO. this 13=14 years without a new album is way too long IMO. However.. with that said... everyone will be looking forward and interested in the new Stones album being as it has been so darn long. It could ...now more than ever ...very well be their last. The album will be purchased and listened to out of pure speculation and curiosity on that fact alone. They will be looking for something special .. so keep your fingers crossed.

IMO the album will be here next year being as a tour of The States is planned.

I wonder if a new stage will be used as opposed to the No Filter Stage? I'd hope so .. The No Filter stage has had it's run IMO. Need something new .. fresh.. to coincide with an all-new tour of the states and then who knows where after (and an album).

Date: September 15, 2018 02:03

If there is no new album for the upcoming tour, maybe they'll play something from the latter era - ie newer than Tattoo You.
Seems they've totally disregarded a huge chapter of their history, and by doing so have fallen in with many other nostalgia acts.
But unlike many other nostalgia acts, they actually have a few decent original tunes they've released in the last few decades, the problem is they don't play any of them!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 82

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home