Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones and UMG new agreement?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 9, 2018 01:11

edit: duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-09 01:13 by Hairball.

Date: July 9, 2018 01:12

DandelionPowderman
jlowe
georgelicks
jlowe
georgelicks
It's an extention of their current deal with Universal from 2008, it was a 10 year deal back then so nothing new actually.

[www.rollingstone.com]

I seem to remember the press release at the time, referred to three NEW albums.
No specific mention this time? This one could actually be describing the Management and affairs of deceased artisits eg Prince, Bowie, Presley etc

The 3 new albums were for the Virgin deal back in 1991.

There's no NEW album mention on their current deal, if they complete a new one, as B&L in 2016, it will be all part of the same deal which includes re-editions, vaults release, compilations or new music.

WRONG!!
A New York Times article dated 26 July 2008 relating to the then new contract specifically states that it will include the release of 3 NEW albums in addition to the 'legacy' material.

New albums, not three studio albums with original material.

Sweet Summer Sun
Havanna Moon
Blue And Lonesome

That's three..

And then there was GRRRR...which did have a couple new/original tunes.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 9, 2018 02:25

The Rolling Stones And Universal Music Group Announce Unprecedented Partnership

UMG to Provide Multifaceted, Global Support to Band's Iconic Recorded Music and Audio-Visual Work Including Merchandising, Brand Management and Archive

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Universal Music Group
19:00 ET

SANTA MONICA, Calif., July 8, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The Rolling Stones and Universal Music Group (UMG), the world leader in music entertainment, today announced an expansive worldwide agreement covering the band's iconic recorded music and audio-visual catalogues, archival support, global merchandising and brand management.

This multi-faceted partnership marks the beginning of a new era of expanded collaboration between The Rolling Stones and UMG.

Few bands in history have so profoundly impacted global culture as The Rolling Stones. Through their powerful music, infectious live performances, unique visual identity and attitude, the band is renowned throughout the world to audiences of all ages, widely influencing popular culture through art, fashion and film. With UMG, the band has a partner that complements and supports their global stature, with expertise and resources that enable the band to maximize their reach while underscoring their enduring cultural relevance across numerous forms of entertainment.

In making the announcement, Sir Lucian Grainge, Chairman & CEO of Universal Music Group, said, "After a decade of working in partnership together, we are thrilled to expand and extend our relationship with The Rolling Stones. We look forward to bringing our expertise and passion to bear as we put our global organization work on behalf of this iconic band who continue to create music and influence culture around the world."

David Joseph, Chairman & CEO, Universal Music UK, said, "The Rolling Stones continue to define rock and roll, they are loved the world over and they are the band who never let up. It's a privilege to work with them and Joyce Smyth, their exceptional manager."

Joyce Smyth, The Rolling Stones manager said, "For many years now we've had a wonderful partnership with Universal Music and look forward to an even more successful future together.''

As part of the agreement, UMG extends its position as the home for The Rolling Stones' iconic catalogue, which includes some of the most celebrated and influential albums of all time, from Sticky Fingers through to 2016's Grammy award-winning Blue & Lonesome. UMG will continue to distribute the band's celebrated recorded music catalogue globally with future projects and reissues to be released through UMG's labels and networks around the world.

Bravado, UMG's brand-management and merchandise company and the leading global provider of consumer, lifestyle and branding services to recording artists, will handle global merchandising rights, retail licensing, brand management and e-commerce on behalf of the band, including their iconic tongue logo, one of the most universally recognized symbols in entertainment.

At the same time, Bravado will continue working closely with the band and management to identify new and innovative opportunities for creative collaboration within the worlds of art, fashion, retail, sport, lifestyle and touring merchandise to excite and inspire their millions of fans around the world. Recent programs and collections include partnerships with Paris Saint Germain FC, Selfridges, Colette and Zara and newly designed merchandise for their No Filter European Tour.

Eagle Rock, the UMG-owned leading producer and distributor of music programming for broadcast, DVD, Blu-Ray, TV and Digital Media, have expanded their global distribution rights to the band's extensive long-form audio visual catalogue. As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will also re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including: Atlanta (1989); Steel Wheels (1989-90); Voodoo Lounge (1994); Bridges to Babylon (1997-1998); Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006).

In addition, UMG will provide The Rolling Stones with archival support and dedicated space for the band's physical media assets, musical instruments and equipment across the company's ecosystem of vaults positioned around the world.

Universal Music Group has been home to the Rolling Stones since 2008, and with this extended agreement sees UMG leverage the company's global network of industry leading businesses spanning more than 60 countries to support the multimedia creative output of one of music's most iconic and influential artists.

SOURCE Universal Music Group

[www.prnewswire.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 9, 2018 04:19

Thanks, Cristiano.

So the presumed Atlanta error is indeed UMG's...

Posted by: TE ()
Date: July 9, 2018 07:56

Dan
Rocky Dijon
Snip

Skip this stuff for now and give us Wiltern 2002 and Munich 2003.

Cirkus Krone is out, pro-shot, probably filmed by 'them'.
Scream if can't find it...

TE
Oslo

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 9, 2018 08:32

TE
Dan
Rocky Dijon
Snip

TE
Oslo

SSSCCCRRREEEAAAAMMMMM

Rod

Re: Stones and UMG new agreement
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 9, 2018 09:59

So business as usual, great! The Atlanta typo shows how much anyone at UMG or in the Stones camp really cares about this...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 9, 2018 10:57

gotdablouse
So business as usual, great! The Atlanta typo shows how much anyone at UMG or in the Stones camp really cares about this...

No, it just means they employ people under 40...

...who don't know every detail...

...like an obsessive hardcore fan(atic) would...

...business as usual.

What's amazing is that a band, an iconic brand, of this stature...

...would even need to rely on such a corporate entity for business as usual.

I mean, whatever happened to Rolling Stones Records?

Wasn't there a label by that name at one time?

What about the label ALO started?

Don't tell me the big guys won after all.

But you don't have to -- it's obvious...

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: July 9, 2018 11:55

It seems they're going to make money 'around' the group rather than by music and that the group's preparing to manage their heritage, once they'll stop or will be gone. I guessed that Keith Richards - the man who refused to sell the group's brand to Tommy Hilfiger some twenty years ago - would have prefered to establish a foundation. It's to be said that the band members have too many children to believe they all could manage a foundation friendly or, simply, with a co-shared vision of the future of the Rolling Stones, in terms of archive, copyrights and relationship with ABKCO.
This is the point, IMO. Klein did not need to find a successor: Jody is very good at doing what he does and has proven to care about the group's image and music.
46 years ago, Jagger said that Klein had nothing to with the group anymore, but he was more than wrong. In any case, the best sound improvment is from ABKCO, not from RSR. ABKCO always collaborates with Andrew Oldham when working on landmarking projects and this lets them offer the Collectors top quality products (such as the 1965 concert in the 'Charlie' box). The Rolling Stones have no bridges to the past left, except for Glyn Johns. Don Was? Please, don't be silly... I don't say I've not liked the de-luxe releases, but what when Mick Jagger will not care for these projects anymore or when they won't be able to add guitars or lyrics to unfinished songs?
Everytime UMG works alone, we never get something great. We can spend hours talking about the latest re-mixes, but nothing new came in and the boxed-set of CD-s is a total mess. Musicwise, if the Rolling Stones rely on UMG to keep an high-profile standard I'm afraid we'll get tons of re-issues, rather than interesting news. Just my two cents...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 9, 2018 12:20

I seem to recall in Prince Rupert's book, he advises them (presumably in the early 2000's) that they should consider a business deal with some corporation or other who would manage all their affairs..and I think offered the group a very good pay out also. Can't remember the specifics, but it was not taken up.
They obviously prefer the current set up with Mangers in NYC, London, Netherlands etc managing various parts of their set up.
Seems to have worked pretty well of course.
They could have retained RSR in the same way The Beatles never closed down Apple...which continues to this day. I may be wrong but you get the impression that Macca (for example) gets much more involved with the Beatles reissues etc than Mick or Keith do with their post 1970 product.
Whether its because he deals with Apple staff who have been around a long time rather than a large entity like UMG is a moot point.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: July 9, 2018 13:30

bitusa2012
TE
Dan
Rocky Dijon
Snip

TE
Oslo
Send me a mail...
ter at datarespons dot no

TE
Oslo

SSSCCCRRREEEAAAAMMMMM

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: July 9, 2018 15:40

TE
bitusa2012
TE
Dan
Rocky Dijon
Snip

TE
Oslo
Send me a mail...

TE
Oslo

SSSCCCRRREEEAAAAMMMMM

I couldn't find it either

Date: July 9, 2018 16:06

philrock90
TE
bitusa2012
TE
Dan
Rocky Dijon
Snip

TE
Oslo
Send me a mail...

TE
Oslo

SSSCCCRRREEEAAAAMMMMM

Took me two seconds: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 9, 2018 16:15

DandelionPowderman
philrock90
TE
bitusa2012
TE
Dan
Rocky Dijon
Snip

TE
Oslo
Send me a mail...

TE
Oslo

SSSCCCRRREEEAAAAMMMMM

Took me two seconds: [youtu.be]

Also in the Stonesvault: [iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2018 19:15

Wow, they made a statement about nothing. This reminds me of Seinfeld. A show about nothing. Re-issues of material already released. Wow! I'm already looking forward to it! What a deal!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-09 19:22 by Stoneage.

Date: July 9, 2018 19:38

Stoneage
Wow, they made a statement about nothing. This reminds me of Seinfeld. A show about nothing. Re-issues of material already released. Wow! I'm already looking forward to it! What a deal!

Do you have Atlantic City 89 on dvd? Miami 94? St. Louis 97?

Many of us have dreamt about these shows getting an official audio/video release...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 9, 2018 19:41

Cristiano Radtke
The Rolling Stones And Universal Music Group Announce Unprecedented Partnership

Eagle Rock will also re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including: Atlanta (1989); Steel Wheels (1989-90);

Now we've established that'Atlanta' means 'Atlantic City' , arent these two releases actually the same thing?

Date: July 9, 2018 19:47

The latter might be "Rolling Stones: Live at the Max".

Date: July 9, 2018 21:17

bye bye johnny
Thanks, Cristiano.

Yes, it is:

"Eagle Rock, the UMG-owned leading producer and distributor of music programming for broadcast, DVD, Blu-Ray, TV and Digital Media, have expanded their global distribution rights to the band’s extensive long-form audio visual catalogue. As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will also re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including: Atlanta (1989); Steel Wheels (1989-90); Voodoo Lounge (1994); Bridges to Babylon (1997-1998); Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006)."

[www.universalmusic.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 9, 2018 21:33

Cristiano Radtke
bye bye johnny
Thanks, Cristiano.

Yes, it is:

"Eagle Rock, the UMG-owned leading producer and distributor of music programming for broadcast, DVD, Blu-Ray, TV and Digital Media, have expanded their global distribution rights to the band’s extensive long-form audio visual catalogue. As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will also re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including: Atlanta (1989); Steel Wheels (1989-90); Voodoo Lounge (1994); Bridges to Babylon (1997-1998); Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006)."

[www.universalmusic.com]

And are we to assume that Steel Wheels is "At The Max"?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 9, 2018 21:53

Deltics
Cristiano Radtke
bye bye johnny
Thanks, Cristiano.

Yes, it is:

[www.universalmusic.com]

And are we to assume that Steel Wheels is "At The Max"?

I guess so.

Re: Stones and UMG new agreement - July 2018
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 9, 2018 22:26

'At The Max' was all filmed in Europe 1990 though. That said, they used the Steel Wheels stage for the gigs in question instead of the Urban Jungle one.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: July 10, 2018 00:04

At the max got re released on blu ray and it looks really amazing

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: July 10, 2018 01:03

Any future Vault release that doesn't start with with 196_ or 197_ interests me any more...

Date: July 10, 2018 02:00

ThePaleRider
Any future Vault release that doesn't start with with 196_ or 197_ interests me any more...

So the 1982 and 1985 club shows are of no interest to you? winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 10, 2018 02:09

I saw "At The Max" on IMAX. It was also released on DVD and VHS. Still have it. I can't remember if I have it on DVD or VHS though. I don't think it's great at any point though. The live feeling is somehow
lost despite the format and the rails on stage. It feels fabricated if you get my drift. The one show to catch from that era is "Atlantic City". It's the Hampton of the 1990/91 tour, so to speak.

Date: July 10, 2018 03:34

Stoneage
I saw "At The Max" on IMAX. It was also released on DVD and VHS. Still have it. I can't remember if I have it on DVD or VHS though. I don't think it's great at any point though. The live feeling is somehow
lost despite the format and the rails on stage. It feels fabricated if you get my drift. The one show to catch from that era is "Atlantic City". It's the Hampton of the 1990/91 tour, so to speak.

I also saw it at the theater when released, and still have it on VHS (in storage). I didn't really like the format of IMAX itself, and yes it feels very fabricated/artificial- sort of a slapdash compilation that didn't really flow well, and the band almost come across as caricatures on the BIG screen. Having watched some clips of it fairly recently on youtube, it doesn't seem to have aged very well either - it's all a bit hokey. Mick's goofy/manufactured hair style didnt help, but on a positive note we get to see Bill on his last tour.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 10, 2018 17:17

I believe At The Max was premiered the then National Museum of Film, Photography and Television in Bradford where I lived at the time.
Didn't see the first showing , but later on of course. At the time I thought it was good and was obviously an advance of sorts from a film point of view.
A friend of mine (Steve) was working at the Museum at the time. Said Mick was very businesslike and attentive, Keith and Ronnie just goofed around swigging from large pint glasses. Not sure if Bill and Charlie were there.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 10, 2018 17:37

Atlantic City (1989); Steel Wheels (1989-90)
I have Atlantic City on boot which is quite good. What other Steel Wheels shows were filmed? Maybe we'll see a show from the Urban Jungle leg?

Date: July 10, 2018 17:42

Father Ted
Atlantic City (1989); Steel Wheels (1989-90)
I have Atlantic City on boot which is quite good. What other Steel Wheels shows were filmed? Maybe we'll see a show from the Urban Jungle leg?

UMG announcement notes "Eagle Rock will also re-issue several classic concert films...", so whatever they'll be putting out has been previously released.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home