Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones and UMG new agreement - July 2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 8, 2018 18:04

Rolling Stones and Universal announce new partnership

Sunday, 8 Jul 2018

Dave Hogan

The Rolling Stones and Universal Music Group have announced a worldwide agreement covering the band's musical and audio-visual catalogues, archival support, global merchandising and brand management.

The multi-faceted partnership marks the beginning of a new era of expanded collaboration between the veteran rockers and the music company.

The band's catalogue includes some of the most celebrated and influential albums of the last 50 years, from 1971's Sticky Fingers to 2016's Grammy-winning Blue & Lonesome.

Universal (UMG) will continue to distribute the band's music catalogue globally, with future projects and reissues to be released through UMG's labels and networks around the world.

Bravado, UMG's brand management and merchandise company and the leading global provider of consumer, lifestyle and branding services to recording artists, will handle global merchandising rights, retail licensing, brand management and e-commerce on behalf of the band, including their iconic tongue logo.

It will also work with the band and management to identify new opportunities for creative collaboration within the worlds of art, fashion, retail, sport, lifestyle and touring merchandise.

Eagle Rock, the UMG-owned producer and distributor of music programming for broadcast, DVD, Blu-Ray, TV and Digital Media, have expanded their global distribution rights to the band's extensive long-form audio visual catalogue.

As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including Atlanta (1989), Steel Wheels (1989-90), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Bridges To Babylon (1997-1998), Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006).

UMG's chairman and CEO Lucian Grainge, said: "After a decade of working in partnership together, we are thrilled to expand and extend our relationship with The Rolling Stones.

"We look forward to bringing our expertise and passion to bear as we put our global organization work on behalf of this iconic band who continue to create music and influence culture around the world."

The band's manager Joyce Smyth said: "For many years now we've had a wonderful partnership with Universal Music and look forward to an even more successful future together."

[www.rte.ie]

--

Don't know how official this "announcement" is, as RTE appears to be the only source. The info about Eagle Rock reissues also notes Atlanta (1989) rather than Atlantic City.
--

EDIT:

Official UMG announcement - [www.universalmusic.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-09 22:11 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Stones and UMG new agreement?
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 8, 2018 18:16

"It will also work with the band and management to identify new opportunities for creative collaboration within the worlds of art, fashion, retail, sport, lifestyle and touring merchandise."
thumbs up

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 8, 2018 18:24

.....generational revenue streams.....good for them....hope we get some good archival product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 18:25 by Rip This.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: July 8, 2018 18:56

ok, this is a multiple vault-wish-list announcement for those who always requested the rerelease of the old video stuff, including Atlantic City89.
sounds like christmas today.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 8, 2018 19:02

I suspect they mean Atlantic City and not the earlier Atlanta, Georgia show from 1989. It also sounds like AT THE MAX, LIVE AT THE VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON IN CONCERT, FOUR FLICKS, and THE BIGGEST BANG will see reissues as part of the FROM THE ARCHIVES program.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: July 8, 2018 19:06

While this is awesome news, I hope to hell they stop brick walling CD's.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 8, 2018 19:12

MisterDDDD
"It will also work with the band and management to identify new opportunities for creative collaboration within the worlds of art, fashion, retail, sport, lifestyle and touring merchandise."
thumbs up

thumbs down no merchandising diarrhea à la Star Wars. New or old music and live gigs will suffice...

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 8, 2018 19:20

Rocky Dijon
I suspect they mean Atlantic City and not the earlier Atlanta, Georgia show from 1989. It also sounds like AT THE MAX, LIVE AT THE VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON IN CONCERT, FOUR FLICKS, and THE BIGGEST BANG will see reissues as part of the FROM THE ARCHIVES program.

Skip this stuff for now and give us Wiltern 2002 and Munich 2003.

The Biggest Bang and Four Flicks if they include the complete shows this time otherwise you can still find this stuff on bargain racks where bargain racks still exist.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2018 19:20

Rocky Dijon

Hopefully they expand the VOODOO and BRIDGES ones. ATLANTIC CITY would be stellar.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 8, 2018 19:23

It's an extention of their current deal with Universal from 2008, it was a 10 year deal back then so nothing new actually.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: July 8, 2018 19:37

jajajajaja let me dream on ....

from the vault atlanta-fox theatre, chuck's first one .... october of 1981 ....

i agree with you, would be atlantic city'89

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 8, 2018 19:59

georgelicks
It's an extention of their current deal with Universal from 2008, it was a 10 year deal back then so nothing new actually.

[www.rollingstone.com]

I seem to remember the press release at the time, referred to three NEW albums.
No specific mention this time? This one could actually be describing the Management and affairs of deceased artisits eg Prince, Bowie, Presley etc

Date: July 8, 2018 20:22

Rocky Dijon
I suspect they mean Atlantic City and not the earlier Atlanta, Georgia show from 1989.

Clearly, as there's no Atlanta 1989 video release to re-issue. Nice work by whomever's responsible for that press release...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 8, 2018 20:44

"Don't know how official this "announcement" is, as RTE appears to be the only source."

Indeed and the link provided takes you to "404 Page not found".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2018 20:48

dcba
MisterDDDD
thumbs up

thumbs down no merchandising diarrhea à la Star Wars. New or old music and live gigs will suffice...

I believe he was praising the fact there will be "touring merchandise", and in order to have touring merchandise, they will of course have to be on tour.
So there's the answer right there as to if they will ever tour again - health permitting, it's all part of the new contract.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 8, 2018 21:23

Deltics
"Don't know how official this "announcement" is, as RTE appears to be the only source."

Perhaps it was published before someone gave them the green light, so maybe that's why it was shut down.

Date: July 8, 2018 21:28

Could be...that or they're fixing the "Atlanta" typo. ; )

Date: July 8, 2018 21:31

good news I guess

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 8, 2018 21:36

jlowe
georgelicks

[www.rollingstone.com]

No specific mention this time? This one could actually be describing the Management and affairs of deceased artisits eg Prince, Bowie, Presley etc

The 3 new albums were for the Virgin deal back in 1991.

There's no NEW album mention on their current deal, if they complete a new one, as B&L in 2016, it will be all part of the same deal which includes re-editions, vaults release, compilations or new music.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: July 8, 2018 21:41

bye bye johnny
Rolling Stones and Universal announce new partnership

Sunday, 8 Jul 2018

Dave Hogan

The Rolling Stones and Universal Music Group have announced a worldwide agreement covering the band's musical and audio-visual catalogues, archival support, global merchandising and brand management.

The multi-faceted partnership marks the beginning of a new era of expanded collaboration between the veteran rockers and the music company.

The band's catalogue includes some of the most celebrated and influential albums of the last 50 years, from 1971's Sticky Fingers to 2016's Grammy-winning Blue & Lonesome.

Universal (UMG) will continue to distribute the band's music catalogue globally, with future projects and reissues to be released through UMG's labels and networks around the world.

Bravado, UMG's brand management and merchandise company and the leading global provider of consumer, lifestyle and branding services to recording artists, will handle global merchandising rights, retail licensing, brand management and e-commerce on behalf of the band, including their iconic tongue logo.

It will also work with the band and management to identify new opportunities for creative collaboration within the worlds of art, fashion, retail, sport, lifestyle and touring merchandise.

Eagle Rock, the UMG-owned producer and distributor of music programming for broadcast, DVD, Blu-Ray, TV and Digital Media, have expanded their global distribution rights to the band's extensive long-form audio visual catalogue.

As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including Atlanta (1989), Steel Wheels (1989-90), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Bridges To Babylon (1997-1998), Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006).

UMG's chairman and CEO Lucian Grainge, said: "After a decade of working in partnership together, we are thrilled to expand and extend our relationship with The Rolling Stones.

"We look forward to bringing our expertise and passion to bear as we put our global organization work on behalf of this iconic band who continue to create music and influence culture around the world."

The band's manager Joyce Smyth said: "For many years now we've had a wonderful partnership with Universal Music and look forward to an even more successful future together."

[www.rte.ie]

--

Don't know how official this "announcement" is, as RTE appears to be the only source. The info about Eagle Rock reissues also notes Atlanta (1989) rather than Atlantic City.
Hope they aren't expecting a new LP

Date: July 8, 2018 21:47

georgelicks
There's no NEW album mention on their current deal, if they complete a new one, as B&L in 2016, it will be all part of the same deal which includes re-editions, vaults release, compilations or new music.

What about that £2m "new album" deal with UMG reported last year?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 8, 2018 22:20

I missed this whole thread/ subject! Then I thought article July 8 today is WHAT

* please someone surmise this information.
Does this mean the RS are not retiring??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 22:21 by 35love.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 8, 2018 22:36

Deltics

It's still in Google Cache: [webcache.googleusercontent.com] .

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 8, 2018 22:40

1971 onwards, zzzz. grinning smiley tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 8, 2018 22:50

bye bye johnny

Don't know how official this "announcement" is, as RTE appears to be the only source.

Different source from Romania: [www.agerpres.ro] .

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 8, 2018 23:22

35love
I missed this whole thread/ subject! Then I thought article July 8 today is WHAT

* please someone surmise this information.
Does this mean the RS are not retiring??

The text from the article is in the first post in the thread, 35love. It's an extension of their UMG agreement that will see more archival releases. There is no word on new studio recordings, but they are still under contract to deliver a new studio album tentatively set for 2019. As for retiring, apart from wishful thinking from people who want a planned ending; there's no reason to think they won't continue their semi-active career as performers playing 14 shows a year who sporadically tinker in the studio for the short term.

Date: July 8, 2018 23:38

Irix
bye bye johnny

Don't know how official this "announcement" is, as RTE appears to be the only source.

Different source from Romania: [www.agerpres.ro] .

...including the presumed "Atlanta" error. So maybe they just nicked the RTE story?

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 9, 2018 00:26

"As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including Atlanta (1989), Steel Wheels (1989-90), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Bridges To Babylon (1997-1998), Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006)".--
Shame where is all the 1960's 1970's stuff that people would love and find more attractive than these releases? - Ok don't get me wrong I am not complaining about these releases and will buy every one. But As I am now in the twilight of life am I to pass away before I get the chance to hear some primordial recordings from the classic period, Please sort out the contractual difficulties before it's to late, that's what I crave. What a drag it is getting old.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 9, 2018 00:26

georgelicks
jlowe
georgelicks

[www.rollingstone.com]

WRONG!!
A New York Times article dated 26 July 2008 relating to the then new contract specifically states that it will include the release of 3 NEW albums in addition to the 'legacy' material.

Date: July 9, 2018 01:03

jlowe
georgelicks
jlowe
georgelicks

[www.rollingstone.com]

WRONG!!
A New York Times article dated 26 July 2008 relating to the then new contract specifically states that it will include the release of 3 NEW albums in addition to the 'legacy' material.

New albums, not three studio albums with original material.

Sweet Summer Sun
Havanna Moon
Blue And Lonesome

That's three..

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1638
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home