Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Year of the Cup
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 7, 2018 23:41

During the Southampton concert Mick mentioned that the last time the Stones had played there was the year England won the World Cup, 1966. Does anyone recall where in the show he said this and does video exist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 01:24 by Glam Descendant.

Re: Year of the Cup
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 8, 2018 17:35

The UK has never won the world cup.

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: July 8, 2018 17:46

And it isn't held every year

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 8, 2018 17:48

To be clear, England (not the UK Glamdes) won the World Cup in 1966. I thought I heard Mick say this (but I could be imagining it I have watched so many Youtube clips this tour) in Coventry.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 8, 2018 17:58

He certainly said that they last played Southampton in 1966 when England were in the World cup - it's mentioned in many reports. He usually talks about previous visits either just before the blues song or during the band intros, if you want to hunt them out on YouTube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 18:01 by Green Lady.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 8, 2018 18:00

A lot of union flags at 1966 world cup, say's a lot about how English people view(ed) England/UK. grinning smiley tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: July 9, 2018 14:15

His Majesty
A lot of union flags at 1966 world cup, say's a lot about how English people view(ed) England/UK. grinning smiley tongue sticking out smiley

Or what flags they could get hold of.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 9, 2018 15:14

His Majesty

The official mascot was decked out in the Union Flag and the official song was sung by a Scotsman!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 9, 2018 16:05

The UK no. 1 the week England won the World Cup for the first time. winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 9, 2018 16:18

Let's hope the Croatia goalkeeper is a slow healer! Go England!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 12, 2018 09:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-12 09:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 13, 2018 01:36

Green Lady
He certainly said that they last played Southampton in 1966 when England were in the World cup - it's mentioned in many reports. He usually talks about previous visits either just before the blues song or during the band intros, if you want to hunt them out on YouTube.

This...
He definitely said it, and like the Lady said, usually around ride em on down....

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 13, 2018 11:13

I always wondered about it: I never read a single word in whatever biography about the Stones commenting on the World Cup victory in 1966! Ok, they've been on a long US tour but defeated Portugal on Mick's birhtday thus reaching the final and being back for the final two days after the recorded Honolulu concert.
I wonder of they had a colour tv?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-13 11:16 by JJHMick.

Date: July 13, 2018 14:41

JJHMick

I wonder of they had a colour tv?!

Wouldn't have been much use if they did, the match was broadcast in black and white. Colour broadcasts didn't start until 1967 on BBC 2 only.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:35

Thank you, Deltics for that info I didn't know.

When watching France vs Belgium, i.e. Blue against Red, I remembered my youngest days. I don't which WC it was (in the 70s for sure) when the sports programme was presenting the shirts and trousers of all teams, switching from colour to b/w and back, thus making out that there will be difficulty for b/w tv watchers when this or that country will play against each other (it would have been F vs. B now...).

REALLY worse than France/Belgium WAS Scotland vs. France in Rugby (a World Championship?!)in COLOUR! Dark blue against dark blue!!! (maybe someone can find a photo). There was only a slight lighter blue on a part (not the whole!) of the sleeves!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home