Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Will this be the last tour?
Date: July 15, 2018 16:01

RoughJusticeOnYa
TheflyingDutchman
Igot quite a good impression on what I heard over the years, 45 years that is.

Not taking ànything away from your experience & expertise: but if you haven't heard them play SFM live (meaning: really being there) in '17 and/or '18, you do nót know what you're talking about I'm affraid.

the '17 versions were almost all pure highlights - and I don'nt even mean "compared to the rest"... I mean: highlights in a Rolling Stones historical kind of perspective... tru & tru!

And the '18 versions were compareable in quality, imo, although they didn't 'peak' as they did the year before anymore. Plus: they left it out of the setlist way too often. But the beauty about '18 was that they finally (re-)discovered SFM as opening song again. It's a stout song, that one; it can work for you eitherway they 'time' it, in the gig. But it's definitely a brave sounding opener to me!

Anyway - just two cents added.

Don't take notice of my opinion RJOY, just enjoy the band while they are still out there. thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 15, 2018 16:08

I think that is the thing, TFD. People are taking it personally. I think your view, or my view, is among a minority around here. When we air our opinions or thoughts others take offense.
Many here actually thinks that the band is better than ever or at least as good as ever. One must take that into consideration.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 15, 2018 16:22

RoughJusticeOnYa
TheflyingDutchman

Not taking ànything away from your experience & expertise: but if you haven't heard them play SFM live (meaning: really being there) in '17 and/or '18, you do nót know what you're talking about I'm affraid.

the '17 versions were almost all pure highlights - and I don'nt even mean "compared to the rest"... I mean: highlights in a Rolling Stones historical kind of perspective... tru & tru!

And the '18 versions were compareable in quality, imo, although they didn't 'peak' as they did the year before anymore. Plus: they left it out of the setlist way too often. But the beauty about '18 was that they finally (re-)discovered SFM as opening song again. It's a stout song, that one; it can work for you eitherway they 'time' it, in the gig. But it's definitely a brave sounding opener to me!

Well put Filip.
The SFM opener in Cardiff was one of, if not the highlight of the shows I went to. Purposely hadn't read any setlists or reports prior to my mini-tour and hadn't gotten it in Manchester or Edinburgh. then... WOW!! Very Intense! Fantastic opener.

Date: July 15, 2018 16:30

<Many here actually thinks that the band is better than ever>

What's wrong with "many here think the band is sounding great today"?

Why "actually thinks"? Firstly, it's not plural - and secondly it comes across like they're some kind of lunatics feeling that way... smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 15, 2018 16:47

Thanks for the correction, Dandy. I must confess that I can sink into sarcasms. I can't help it sometimes. I'm a badboy, I guess...

Date: July 15, 2018 16:56

You're all right, Stoneage smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 15, 2018 20:11

There's a difference between saying "they sound great today" vs. "better than ever". Most would agree they can sound "great today" at times, but saying "better than ever" implies everything that's happened in the past is not as good as what they play today - not sure most would agree with that. But it really all comes down to personal opinions, and I suppose for some they are "better than ever"...

Anyhow, looking forward to hopefully seeing them at least one more time in the near future, and can confidently say they will sound great at various times. Whether they will be better than ever is highly doubtful, but maybe better than the last three times I saw them (Desert Trip x 2 and *Vegas '16). Absolutely better than ever seems a bit of a stretch and frankly quite illogical imo.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 15, 2018 20:32

They are still a @#$%& great band. You cant compare them with the 1972/1973 Stones. They were at their peak then imo. But the 2017 and now the 2018 tour..they are still @#$%& great. Imo.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-15 20:33 by corriecas.

Date: July 15, 2018 20:55

Most would agree with that corriecas. thumbs up

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 15, 2018 21:08

Hairball
Most would agree with that corriecas. thumbs up

Hi Hairball i don't think i ever apologized to you for our argument a while back, i was out of order and you called me out, sorry about the things i said in the heat of the moment that were clearly not true, as i can tell from so many of your posts over the years.
I still enjoy your views and observations here, you are an important contribution to this place, keep posting brother. thumbs up

Date: July 15, 2018 21:33

Stoneage
I think that is the thing, TFD. People are taking it personally. I think your view, or my view, is among a minority around here. When we air our opinions or thoughts others take offense.
Many here actually thinks that the band is better than ever or at least as good as ever. One must take that into consideration.

I'd go so far to say Ronnie is better than ever, but to say Mick , Keith and Charlie are better than ever would be an insult to just how good they once were.

I try to be honest about the band in the way that you do and people don't like it very much, so i can sympathize with you, but what i will say is that the way Keith and Ronnie are complementing each other in their playing is better than ever, weaving like a couple of old demons, breath taking but limited to the same old Warhorses.
With both of them playing well i would love to see them take on some other rockers they haven't played for a while, hopefully on the next tour.

Date: July 15, 2018 21:53

keithsman

Hi Hairball i don't think i ever apologized to you for our argument a while back, i was out of order and you called me out, sorry about the things i said in the heat of the moment that were clearly not true, as i can tell from so many of your posts over the years.
I still enjoy your views and observations here, you are an important contribution to this place, keep posting brother. thumbs up

Cheers keithsman - no need to apologise (well in this case maybe there is winking smiley jk ), but thanks - all is well in Stonesland! And as my wise old Grandma used to say, "it's all water under the bridge".

As for Ronnie being better than ever, maybe so as a member of the Rolling Stones as his sobriety and focus has brought his playing to new levels, and his role has broadened.
But better than ever? Hmmm I dunno about that...I thought his best all around playing was back when he was with the Faces - where he had a much bigger role in the band.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: July 15, 2018 22:52

MisterDDDD
RoughJusticeOnYa
TheflyingDutchman

Well put Filip.
The SFM opener in Cardiff was one of, if not the highlight of the shows I went to. Purposely hadn't read any setlists or reports prior to my mini-tour and hadn't gotten it in Manchester or Edinburgh. then... WOW!! Very Intense! Fantastic opener.
SFM great In KC 2015....really surprised me how good it was...

Date: July 15, 2018 23:21

Hairball
keithsman

Cheers keithsman - no need to apologise (well in this case maybe there is winking smiley jk ), but thanks - all is well in Stonesland! And as my wise old Grandma used to say, "it's all water under the bridge".

As for Ronnie being better than ever, maybe so as a member of the Rolling Stones as his sobriety and focus has brought his playing to new levels, and his role has broadened.
But better than ever? Hmmm I dunno about that...I thought his best all around playing was back when he was with the Faces - where he had a much bigger role in the band.

Cool Hairball, thanks for accepting my apology smiling smiley

I must confess i haven't studied Ronnie's work with the faces in a long time, although the resent shows with Mick Hucknall standing in with the Faces did surprise me, Ronnie was fantastic and at the time i thought why doesn't he have a bigger role within the Stones when it comes to his playing. But we don't have room for two Keith Richards lol.

The thing is Keith has really eased up with Ronnie, he seems happy to let him play much more on songs, i think Keith was controlling over Ronnie for many years, even turning him down so you could hardly hear him, but to be fair to Keith, Ronnie needed turning down in the good old drinking days eye rolling smiley

I see them as 50/50 on the work load now, obviously Keith still manages most of the intros and riffs. The thing that shocks me is when Keith stops playing to high five the crowd and wave etc, the music seems to come to a stop, its like this huge void, but we don't experience the same collapse when Ronnie used to stop playing. So when posters say Ronnie carries all the workload i really can't see it, Ronnie puts in fills and compliments Keith perfectly and does some great solo's on occasion, but he doesn't carry Keith imho. Basically if Keith is playing crap nothing can carry him, its just crap, which is why when Keith is ON the band is ON.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 16, 2018 00:42

keithsman
Hairball
keithsman

Cool Hairball, thanks for accepting my apology smiling smiley

I must confess i haven't studied Ronnie's work with the faces in a long time, although the resent shows with Mick Hucknall standing in with the Faces did surprise me, Ronnie was fantastic and at the time i thought why doesn't he have a bigger role within the Stones when it comes to his playing. But we don't have room for two Keith Richards lol.

The thing is Keith has really eased up with Ronnie, he seems happy to let him play much more on songs, i think Keith was controlling over Ronnie for many years, even turning him down so you could hardly hear him, but to be fair to Keith, Ronnie needed turning down in the good old drinking days eye rolling smiley

I see them as 50/50 on the work load now, obviously Keith still manages most of the intros and riffs. The thing that shocks me is when Keith stops playing to high five the crowd and wave etc, the music seems to come to a stop, its like this huge void, but we don't experience the same collapse when Ronnie used to stop playing. So when posters say Ronnie carries all the workload i really can't see it, Ronnie puts in fills and compliments Keith perfectly and does some great solo's on occasion, but he doesn't carry Keith imho. Basically if Keith is playing crap nothing can carry him, its just crap, which is why when Keith is ON the band is ON.

My opinion is Ronnie holds back - possibly due to expectations or simply out
of respect for Keith.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 16, 2018 04:20

corriecas
They are still a @#$%& great band. You cant compare them with the 1972/1973 Stones. They were at their peak then imo. But the 2017 and now the 2018 tour..they are still @#$%& great. Imo.
Jeroen

This is it in a nutshell.

I listen to a lot of live Stones stuff and not a lot after Taylor left. 99 they were great live, 03 they were brilliant indoors, 2007 was kinda shit, and I stopped paying attention to their recent shows, I watched a few YouTube vids from gigs and keep up with the setlists on here but I only listened to stuff up till 73. It’s pointless judging a live band from YouTube concert footage, unless recorded professionally. So I kinda thought there best days were behind them. Maybe they are but these days are pretty @#$%& good! Maybe not the best, but still great.

I was at the first 5 dates on this tour and they kept getting better each show. There’s a great vibe off the stage each night, I was in general admission, gold circle, sitting, pit, and the vibe was the same from each position, they are playing as a band and improvising. Midnight Rambler isnt one of my favourite tunes but it was great each night on the tour, London 3 being the best for me.

Keith being sober makes a difference I think, his playing was a bit more focused and less of the shape throwing. His solo set was great each night also, the worst was great. He should have a drink to celebrate how well he plays sober grinning smiley ...

This is still a Band! blue and lonesome is a great record. I love the production on it and hope the new album has a similar sound, it’s not exile, but Im not expecting it to be, I listen to it as the Rolling Stones recent record. I can’t hear a Rolling Stones record they recorded in 1972 to be released in 2018!!! I hear the band release an album of how they sound now.

Watching Jagger run 60 yards across the stage in Southampton at 75, after drinking, shagging, snorting, smoking during his life is as big a @#$%& you as doing all that stuff, seeing Keef almost sheepishly extend his arms before his solo set it’s like he is apologizing for and laughing at the fact he’s still alive. Some wing Charlie’s reaction on the big screen during one of the choruses of satisfaction was a great moment, he was surprised at the volume of the crowd .

Why shouldn’t they do what it is they are doing. They’re not disgracing the bands legacy, but adding to it. Sticky Fingers live & blue and lonesome, doom and gloom, they are on my record player as much as anything else they released in their hey day. It’s a body of work, I pick what I like and dint bitch about the bits I don’t. The stones aren’t my personal band. They do what they want and I like it or don’t.

1972 will never happen again. It happened then. Something else is happening now, enjoy it.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home