Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: So, asked many times before: Will this be the last tour?
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 8, 2018 06:51

35love
Stoneage
I think 24FPS is refering to when Wyman left the band. 1990 was Wyman's last tour. I would say, like most, that 68-72 was their peak. Both live and on record.

All I’m saying is this 1981 1982 Tattoo You Album and Tours of USA and Europe
spiked your peak!
This cannot be denied!
grinning smileydrinking smiley

P.S.
SOME GIRLS

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 8, 2018 06:59

Gazza
black n blue
Charlie I seeing calling it a career real soon

Stones fans have been saying this for decades. Its amazing how many people still take his blasé attitude so seriously.

Its not going to happen.

No one wants to be the guy who puts his foot on the brake and gets off the bus.

I'll refer everyone back to something Shirley Watts said about 20 years ago 'he'd never do it - he'd hate to let down Mick and Keith'

The Stones are effectively semi-retired anyway, its not as if they're potentially walking away from two-year tours of 130-140 shows. 14-15 shows a year is hardly going to wear them out.

There'll be no 'farewell' shows. They'll do this at a level they're comfortable with until ill-health prevents them from continuing or until we switch on the news some morning to find out one of them has gone to the great gig in the sky.

Right Gazz. And you know what, THEY HAVE NO REASON TO RETIRE!! If they continue to play as at high a level as they have on No Filter, they will go on indefinitely. Like Bob's Never Ending Tour. They just rock the venues! I saw six of the 28 on this tour. I mean, the second Paris show was the greatest Stones show I have ever seen, and I do go back to '75.

plexi

Date: July 8, 2018 07:08

potus43
USA next year is a lock

Show me the money.
I say no until I hear new contracts signed.
Sorry.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2018 07:28

timbernardis
Gazza
black n blue
Charlie I seeing calling it a career real soon

Stones fans have been saying this for decades. Its amazing how many people still take his blasé attitude so seriously.

Its not going to happen.

No one wants to be the guy who puts his foot on the brake and gets off the bus.

I'll refer everyone back to something Shirley Watts said about 20 years ago 'he'd never do it - he'd hate to let down Mick and Keith'

The Stones are effectively semi-retired anyway, its not as if they're potentially walking away from two-year tours of 130-140 shows. 14-15 shows a year is hardly going to wear them out.

There'll be no 'farewell' shows. They'll do this at a level they're comfortable with until ill-health prevents them from continuing or until we switch on the news some morning to find out one of them has gone to the great gig in the sky.

Right Gazz. And you know what, THEY HAVE NO REASON TO RETIRE!! If they continue to play as at high a level as they have on No Filter, they will go on indefinitely. Like Bob's Never Ending Tour. They just rock the venues! I saw six of the 28 on this tour. I mean, the second Paris show was the greatest Stones show I have ever seen, and I do go back to '75.

plexi

thumbs up

They'll be back on the road sooner than later - and more specifically back to the US - bv and several others have hinted as much.
And it's known their management was having talks with Madison Square Garden not too long ago.

As for them stopping or retiring, I'll take Keith's word for it:

“There’s never ever been a word about it muttered among ourselves. I guess the day’s obviously going to come, some day.
But not in the near future. We’re all looking forward to doing what we’re doing..." - Keith, March '18

And:

“We haven’t finished yet. It’s still too early to talk about the Stones’ legacy.
There’s one thing that we haven’t yet achieved and that’s to really find out how long you can do this.
It’s still such a joy to play with this band that you can’t really let go of it.” - Keith, February '18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 07:33 by Hairball.

Date: July 8, 2018 07:33

One note regarding "residencies" -- the Who did it in Vegas a year or two ago, and what about Bruce's Springsteen on Broadway stint? Why couldn't it work? Not saying it will happen, but there is precedent amongst some of their own great peers.

plexi

Date: July 8, 2018 07:36

I think the wisest post on this thread was by DandelionPowderman, thusly,

"The black and white-approach is difficult when it comes to the Stones." Think about it.

And actually, black and white is difficult when it comes to anything in life, in spite of the simplistic views of the Trumps of the world.

plexi

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 8, 2018 08:13

Sure, Timbernadis. I just respondend to 24FPS post where he said that they peaked between 1969 and 1990. I said that I thought their best period was between 1968-72. Both Live and on record.
For that I was attacked by this very aggressive poster, Leonioid. He called me an ex-fan, troublemaker, stupid crap-poster, whiner, nit-picker, basher, crap talker, snotty, negative insulter, repulsive.
And on top of that a troll. In another thread I said that no team from Africa qualified for the final stage (1/16). For that he dared to imply I was a racist.

What I'm saying that you don't deserve all these insults because you, in this case, have an opinion or states a fact. Or in other cases have other opinions than some other posters.
I have not seen this aggressiveness before. At least directed right towards me. I have told him that he steps over a line here. But it does no good. It just fuels him to go on even harder.
I never report other posters. But if he goes on like this he won't leave me any other option. No one deserves to be insulted because they think The Rolling Stones best period was between 1968-72...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 8, 2018 08:57

Send It To me
(deleted negative comment here about their current tours made largely because I'm in a lousy mood)eye rolling smiley

Fanx for that.

Because their current tours were quite good, you know. (or don’t know... I don’t know.)

Date: July 8, 2018 09:18

35love
35love
Stoneage
I think 24FPS is refering to when Wyman left the band. 1990 was Wyman's last tour. I would say, like most, that 68-72 was their peak. Both live and on record.

spiked your peak!
This cannot be denied!

P.S.
SOME GIRLS

PS: VL. Probably their most successful tour?

Date: July 8, 2018 09:37

Okey, simple logic here. Because I said that I think 1968-72 was their best period doesn't mean that I think other "periods" are bad. For instance I'm an ardent fan of the 1981-82 period.
With Tattoo You and the "Still Life" tour. That got me into The Rolling Stones. It just so happens that I think, in hindsight, that the 1968-72 period was the crown of their career.
Both Live and on recordings. The 1969 tour and the 1972 tour. Beggar's Banquet - Let It Bleed - Sticky Fingers - Exile On Main Street. There is the "proof" for you.
I must say that I'm astound that this is seen as something out of the ordinary here. What has happened to this forum?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 09:42 by Stoneage.

Date: July 8, 2018 09:41

Thanks Erad for your support. You need support when you get attacked like this. Appreciated.

Date: July 8, 2018 09:49

Hang in there Stoneage. thumbs up

Date: July 8, 2018 09:52

<What has happened to this forum?>

It evolves, like the Stones? winking smiley

Seriously, Stoneage, I don't think anyone has a problem with what you regard as their peak years. It might be more about lukewarm and snide comments about the band’s last 20 years.

However, everybody's entitled to express their opinion here.

Out of curiosity: You don't cherish anything they've done in recent years?

Date: July 8, 2018 10:06

Okey Dandy, I get that. And I listen to that. I think it's important to listen to critisism. But it's hard to take that in when you get personally attacked on a grand manner by another poster. I guess...
Your question: Basically I think they are a nostalgia act by now. Their creative output (recordings) is pretty meager in recent decades. That doesn't mean that I'm an Ex-Stones fan though.
And I don't think I'm the only one thinking like this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 10:09 by Stoneage.

Re: Will this be the last tour?
Date: July 8, 2018 10:10

Thanks Hairball too. Appreciated. I think he went after you for a while there too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 10:20 by Stoneage.

Date: July 8, 2018 10:17

A bit OT, but just saw James Bay perform on Saturday Night Live, and have to say it sucked.
Not sure how well he was received by Stones fans when opening for the Stones (forget which city), but that might have been a tough one to endure.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 8, 2018 10:33

I think their recent material has been under appreciated. Possibly because anything new is immediately compared to their solid classics - many of which
were criticized at the time of release but over the years grew into classics.
A prime example is Exile on Main Street. Anyway, this undoubtedly is discouraging
anything new. Back to the title of this thread: My opinion is no.

Date: July 8, 2018 11:14

Yes. Bridges to Babylon is a great album.
Also on Bigger Bang there are some very good songs.
We should forget that the new albums have more tracks (14-15) than the older. So there is bigger risk of "fillers" or simply some songs that somebody (not everybody) will not like.

Yes some of the classics grew in time. For example You got the Silver was just a ballad on Let It Bleed and worked great in Prague.

On the stadium I think they must play a bunch of classics and only limited number of less known songs. Maybe in the future if there are again some arena shows for smaller number of "deeper" fans the setlist could include more new numbers.

I hope there will be one more new album done.

Date: July 8, 2018 12:41

DandelionPowderman
35love
35love
Stoneage

spiked your peak!
This cannot be denied!

P.S.
SOME GIRLS

P.S. probably ‘Licks’
oh wait, ‘Bigger Bang’ didn’t that one last a decade? ;-)

Date: July 8, 2018 12:43

Stoneage
Okey, simple logic here. Because I said that I think 1968-72 was their best period doesn't mean that I think other "periods" are bad. For instance I'm an ardent fan of the 1981-82 period.
With Tattoo You and the "Still Life" tour. That got me into The Rolling Stones. It just so happens that I think, in hindsight, that the 1968-72 period was the crown of their career.
Both Live and on recordings. The 1969 tour and the 1972 tour. Beggar's Banquet - Let It Bleed - Sticky Fingers - Exile On Main Street. There is the "proof" for you.
I must say that I'm astound that this is seen as something out of the ordinary here. What has happened to this forum?

We are getting old.
But still younger than the Stones,
Ha Ha Ha!

Date: July 8, 2018 12:49

Hairball
A bit OT, but just saw James Bay perform on Saturday Night Live, and have to say it sucked.
Not sure how well he was received by Stones fans when opening for the Stones (forget which city), but that might have been a tough one to endure.

Yo.
Tough to endure?
Nah.
Young Bay has a very good singing voice.
He missed ‘never, never, never’ que on ‘Beast of Burden’
Generous professional Mick gave him a 2nd chance
(let’s do it one more time at the band) then lobbed again the perfect
‘Never’ with a hand gesture (to you buddy)
but James
forgot his lines.
It’s okay tho.
Saved by the guitars.

Date: July 8, 2018 12:49

35love
DandelionPowderman
35love
35love
Stoneage

spiked your peak!
This cannot be denied!

P.S.
SOME GIRLS

P.S. probably ‘Licks’
drinking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 8, 2018 13:52

35love
Hairball

Yo.
Tough to endure?
Nah.
but James
forgot his lines.
It’s okay tho.
Saved by the guitars.

Maybe you didn't like his music but he has a good singing voice and is a pretty decent guitarist - I missed most of his Twickenham warmup as I had to come after work, but saw him in his own right at the Isle of Wight the following weekend.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 8, 2018 14:03

Green Lady
35love
Hairball

Yo.
Tough to endure?
Nah.
but James
forgot his lines.
It’s okay tho.
Saved by the guitars.

Maybe you didn't like his music but he has a good singing voice and is a pretty decent guitarist - I missed most of his Twickenham warmup as I had to come after work, but saw him in his own right at the Isle of Wight the following weekend.

I missed his warm up too thanks to the ridiculous queues at security, merchandise, bar, and toilets - just everywhere at Twickenham (I'm still bitter about that long walk back to London!) but I enjoyed his Beast of Burden. His excitement at dueting with Mick was rather sweet to see. I love it when the Stones work with new talent.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 8, 2018 14:36

nope

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 8, 2018 15:48

timbernardis
One note regarding "residencies" -- the Who did it in Vegas a year or two ago, and what about Bruce's Springsteen on Broadway stint? Why couldn't it work? Not saying it will happen, but there is precedent amongst some of their own great peers.

plexi

Because Bruce is playing 5 shows a week in a 850-seat theatre that he gets for free and he doesnt have any band or hotel expenses. Even if his average ticket prices are, say, $500, thats a nightly gross that the Stones wouldnt even get out of bed for.

What makes the whole thing impractical from a promoter or venue's perspective are the band's contracted guarantees and the fact that they only play two shows a week. It basically restricts their future touring formula to one nighters at very large venues.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2018 16:12

35love
DandelionPowderman
35love
35love
Stoneage

spiked your peak!
This cannot be denied!

P.S.
SOME GIRLS

Depends on what one means by successful.

P.S. probably ‘Licks’

Date: July 8, 2018 16:52

GasLightStreet
35love
DandelionPowderman
35love
35love
Stoneage

spiked your peak!
This cannot be denied!

P.S.
SOME GIRLS

P.S. probably ‘Licks’

Gas Light Street I was joking about the decade date I know you’re a stickler for facts (thank god) but I booked my Twick flight home same day as show, I give up.
It’s all a random life blurred.
I framed my wedding invitation and hung it up in the lavatory so I wouldn’t forget my wedding anniversary. I still do sometimes. 1 year we both forgot.

I did enjoy listening to James Bay. I’m not dissin the dude.
And of course, Beast Of Burden rendered forever.

Anyway, I never miss appointments and am always on time, I don’t need a date intervention.

Lastly
I don’t think they’re touring again.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 17:14 by 35love.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 8, 2018 17:51

35love
GasLightStreet
35love
DandelionPowderman
35love
35love
Stoneage

spiked your peak!
This cannot be denied!

P.S.
SOME GIRLS

P.S. probably ‘Licks’

Gas Light Street I was joking about the decade date I know you’re a stickler for facts (thank god) but I booked my Twick flight home same day as show, I give up.
It’s all a random life blurred.
I framed my wedding invitation and hung it up in the lavatory so I wouldn’t forget my wedding anniversary. I still do sometimes. 1 year we both forgot.

I did enjoy listening to James Bay. I’m not dissin the dude.
And of course, Beast Of Burden rendered forever.

Anyway, I never miss appointments and am always on time, I don’t need a date intervention.

Lastly
I don’t think they’re touring again.[[/u]/quote]

What do you make of the references on Mick and the Stones' Instagrams to Warsaw being the last show of this leg of the tour? Implied there will be another leg surely? Or are they just teasing?

Posted by: vlaci66 ()
Date: July 8, 2018 17:56

Yes, this is the last tour, but the never ending tour. My opinion : no more tour in Asia, South-America and Australia... Maybe the 3th leg in Europe :/ Moskau , St Petersburg, Beograd, Zagreb, Amsterdam, Napoli, Madrid, Lissabon etc ... 10-12 shows, or Canada , North America.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home