Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Flying and turbulence
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 5, 2018 23:41

just wondering as many of us fly here and there and to stones concerts, is there actually anyone that likes being in an airplane.

i think its an amazing experience but i dont sit comfortably on a plane, and dont enjoy it as much as i would like to. sometimes if its turbulent i reach high anxiety levels. usually the alcohol helps a bit.

what does everyone else feel about flying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-06 01:33 by bv.

Re: semi OT flying.
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 5, 2018 23:53

I absolutely love flying and I'm one of the weird people that actually enjoys turbulence.I think if you have a fear of flying then the best solution is to do lots of it and then you can start to enjoy it.

Nate

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: July 5, 2018 23:58

I don't fly a lot, lately once or twice a year, but you get better at the routine of it all... not to say I'm not nervous, especially when it gets bumpy!

I try and do the non-stop thing, one flight, and then I'm where I wanna be... it helps me think of the fun gettin' started when I land!

You can see those folks in the terminal who fly regularly, be it for work or whatever... they seem almost nonchalant about it all!

Date: July 6, 2018 00:04

my enjoyment rating for flying is worked out like this.

alcohol intake level divided by turbulence level multiplied by 1/length of flight.

my last flight was last october coming back from warsaw and they postponed the drinks trolly when it was only 2 rows from me due to high turbulence.

such inconvenience.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 6, 2018 00:06

One good tip if you don't like turbulence is to sit in the middle of the plane as this is the area you will feel the turbulence the least.

Nate

Date: July 6, 2018 00:22

i always sit next to the wing

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: July 6, 2018 00:23

Don't love it but always love everything to be seen from sitting at a window when flying.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 6, 2018 00:39

Don't mind the flying..
It's the getting to the airport hours early, wading though the long security lines and then as was the case in Heathrow even more long lines when you finally get there that bothers me.
Felt like I scored a Lucky Dip pit seat on the way back from London though, asked a woman attendant at the gate if I could switch to an aisle seat and she bumped me to a first class one (!)

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 6, 2018 00:50

I love flying and always hope for a 'go around' when landing. I think it harks back to when I was a kid - father in army so all families were transported around the world in RAF VC10s.

Landing at Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport was memorable to this day - a 47 degree right turn 800 yards from the end of the runway @ 300 feet.............eye popping smiley ......I can still 'feel' the plane creaking on the turn....

And taking off, the seats were facing backwards so as kids our feet used to 'fly' outwards on acceleration and these babies, originally designed specifically for high altitude, short runways in Africa could get off the ground, full, in 17 seconds and be a thousand feet up by the time a Boeing 707, it's contemporary, left the runway..........

The VC10 still holds the sub sonic speed record across the Atlantic, flying from New York's JFK to Glasgow's Prestwick in 5 hours and 1 minute.

Pilot Gwyn Mullett in his autobiography - "Super VC-10 G-ASGC hurtled across the North Atlantic at a speed that was just below the maximum the aircraft allowed. The Flight Engineer was in his element and spent the night fine-tuning the engines."

"The Chief Steward came onto the flight deck and announced that the dinner service was complete and that the passengers were now all bedded down for the night. "I am sorry to spoil your rest break but we will be landing in just over two hours" I said.

"What are we flying? A bloody Concorde or something! I will have to wake them up for a full English breakfast in one hour," he replied."Scrub the breakfast and give them champagne for landing" was my reply."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-06 15:06 by EddieByword.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 6, 2018 00:51

If I never have to go thru customs again, it’s too soon.
I nearly phoned my SIL, who worked for a nicer airline as a stewardess
just a few years back, for ‘fun/ travel benefits’ and she quit after a year or so
I was genuinely baffled how anyone could navigate airports on a regular basis
and not develop utter contempt for humanity.
No, I don’t like flying.

Sorry, I sound harsh. I’m nice and like people.
Oh and booking my own flights this last UK trip,
I made my flight back on the 19th! 19th is SAME day as show!
Completely missed it until at Heathrow the next day on the 20th
Yeah. I cried to the agent. Please send me home, lol.
$275. later and an extra layer of security since a ‘missed flight’ is a flag.

IDK. Not my idea of a good time :-/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-06 01:01 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2018 00:58

I miss the old days when flying was so much more relaxed...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 6, 2018 01:02

Hairball
I miss the old days when flying was so much more relaxed...

Ha ha ha
Quel nightmare

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-06 01:03 by 35love.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 6, 2018 01:09

…. I often hear Eddie Floyd's - Big Bird swirlin' in me skull on take-off ….

Open up the sky
'Cause I'm coming up to you
So send down your wings
And let 'em bring me to you

Get on up big bird, to my baby's love
Get on up big bird, to my baby's love
Get on up big bird,
'Cause I got to make it,
Just get on up
Cause I got to make it,
Get on up
Get on up big bird,
Get on up big bird,
Get on up big bird,
Get on up big bird

ROCKMAN

Date: July 6, 2018 01:32

Actually don't mind the flying part, but turbulance is no laughing matter!
It's the airport hassle that's always annoying - especially massive airports.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 6, 2018 01:32

There is more turbulence now in the hot summer in Europe, as the pilot I had into Prague a few days ago said they had more turbulence when there was a heatwave, which we do have now over central Europe.

Still, it is perfectly safe to fly. You should be more worried about being in a car, ten times or may be fifty times more likely to have an accident with a car...

Bjornulf

Re: OT: Flying and turbulence
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 6, 2018 01:43

I love flying - but airports and airlines do ruin much of the fun. Turbulent flights, steep turns...an added bonus for me. I like small planes, float planes into canoe routes and all that. Retired from parachuting after my first jump on the advice of the surgeon who put all the pieces back together. Ziplining fills some of that void. Ah...adrenaline! No wonder I love the Stones!

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: July 6, 2018 01:50

By comparison, I LOVE train travel and the relative ease compared to the hassle of making it through security, long lines, battling for overhead space, cramped seating, and general PIA air travel can be.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 6, 2018 01:54

I never had any problems with flying. Once I missed a plane and I quite often sat on the wrong side of the plane (i.e. I was sitting on the left, while the great scenery was on the other side). Beside that: no problems, never got into turblunences and usually I enjoy flying and looking outside the window

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 6, 2018 02:01

Every time I take off and land, I think this is it, Its going to blow up, I'm a dead man. I like that feeling grinning smiley

I had 12 planes in 3 weeks between getting from Vancouver to home and then to England for the Stones shows. The Security at the airport is the biggest pain in the ass. The flying is just sitting there.

I had a chick beside me from Dublin - Toronto who literally hung on to my arm so tight during some turbulence that I ended up with 4 finger nail marks on my arm grinning smiley

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 6, 2018 02:03

I do a lot of flying internationally out of the West Coast of the US. I enjoy the experience. Turbulence doesn't bother me, unless it makes me dizzy or nauseated. Otherwise it's all a part of the experience. I have a lot of points, so I usually fly business, though not always. Worse than turbulence is having to connect through Heathrow! The most unreasonable security agents anywhere, and the queues are insufferably long.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 6, 2018 02:04

Flew across Australia to Broome with Custy and his dog Ruby in a single
engine plane …. stayed at Aboriginal back-packer hostels ….. man what an trip ….. I could write a book on that one ….

And I tell ya what …. the ground comes up quick when ya comin' in ta land in a single engine plane ….AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH...

b...b..believe me ...…. its good ta hear them wheels squeal with they hit the runway …...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 6, 2018 02:31

It's not the turbulence that's the problem...

...it's what goes on outside the plane...

...like that gremlin on the wing...

...talk about a nightmare at 20,000 feet!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 6, 2018 08:03

Classic episodes

Date: July 6, 2018 08:30

Another good episode about a flight between London and New York, with a detour through....The Twilight Zone....eye popping smiley

The Odyssey of Flight 33

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 6, 2018 09:31

JN99
By comparison, I LOVE train travel and the relative ease compared to the hassle of making it through security, long lines, battling for overhead space, cramped seating, and general PIA air travel can be.

All true, plus train travel takes you from city center to city center. No airport to center or center to airport hassles.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 6, 2018 09:36

MKjan
JN99

All true, plus train travel takes you from city center to city center. No airport to center or center to airport hassles.

Another train fan signing in. (Especially as we don't have passenger train travel where I live.) I'm OK with planes, but the hurry-up-and-wait aspect of flying--the part when you're still on the ground, in other words--is super-tedious.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 6, 2018 11:49

Hairball
Another good episode about a flight between London and New York, with a detour through....The Twilight Zone....eye popping smiley

The Odyssey of Flight 33

"This airplane has gone back in time!"

Date: July 6, 2018 12:29

bv
There is more turbulence now in the hot summer in Europe, as the pilot I had into Prague a few days ago said they had more turbulence when there was a heatwave, which we do have now over central Europe.

Still, it is perfectly safe to fly. You should be more worried about being in a car, ten times or may be fifty times more likely to have an accident with a car...

Statistically it's perfectly safe. However people suffering from fear of flying are (too much) aware of the fact when thing go wrong, it's likely a total disaster. They don't want to loose controle. When you drive a car you hold your own steering wheel, in a plane you don't. There's therapy, but it doesn't always work. Benzodiazepines are prescribed if you explain your doctor.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 6, 2018 12:54

Nate
I absolutely love flying and I'm one of the weird people that actually enjoys turbulence.I think if you have a fear of flying then the best solution is to do lots of it and then you can start to enjoy it.

Nate

Well, then I'm weird, too.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: July 6, 2018 13:01

TheflyingDutchman
bv

Statistically it's perfectly safe. However people suffering from fear of flying are (too much) aware of the fact when thing go wrong, it's likely a total disaster. They don't want to loose controle. When you drive a car you hold your own steering wheel, in a plane you don't. There's therapy, but it doesn't always work. Benzodiazepines are prescribed if you explain your doctor.

The flying Dutchman you have summed it up perfectly the reason I don't fly,
Having no control is something I can't deal with.

I went on a 4seater plane in north wales to fly along the coast on a very windy day.
The pilot thought it be great to do some stunts, so he went as high as he could go, then switched to a deep dive heading straight at the sea below.

All I could think of that my kids waiting for me will not have a dad,
I had no control and I wanted to wrestle the controls off the pilot to pull the plane up.

The two holiday people behind me were terrified and screaming.
The the pilot said if fly around Cardiff castle you can take some pics, he said I put my head down to my lap so you can snap away.

So now the pilot wants to fly blind, @#$%& that lol no I said it's ok I think the couple behind us have had enough.
It was so windy up there the pilot seemed to be struggling to keep the plane straight.
Never again will I will get into any machine that I have no control over.

Even though I'm aware that plane n train travel is the safest form of travel.
In my mind if I get on a plane there will be problem that I have no control over.

It be like stepping onto the MH370 ...sighs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home