Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 19
Re: Beggars Banquet, One Plus One and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 7, 2018 13:50

24FPS

How stupid is all this?

Stupid enough that it reached #3 in the jpc-Sales-Charts on 9-Oct-2018 (was #4 on 7-Oct-2018) .... so, somebody must have bought it .... winking smiley

[www.jpc.de]

It belongs also to the 5 top-selling Vinyl-Albums at jpc in October 2018: [www.jpc.de] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-11 22:20 by Irix.

Re: Beggars Banquet, One Plus One and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 7, 2018 14:22

My message to the people who make and market these deluxe packages is: consider whether you're just trying to flog units over the short-term or whether you want to make a product which will generate stable long-term sales?

This set is another example of style over substance. I already own the BB CD and but I haven't owned a record player in years. I wouldn't have hesitated to pre-order a simple two CD package or even a £50 package like the Sticky Fingers box.

Let it Bleed is, imo, the Stones magnum opus. You can reissue LIB as a bunch of pretty coloured records in a box with a few irrelevant trinkets but I won't be buying that either unless a) it's available on CD and b) comes with at least one CD of outtakes. Personally, I'm not interested in marginally-different versions of the songs from the original album, although that is probably the easiest, cheapest option. We all know there are scores of outtakes. Perhaps there are good reasons why you can't/won't release them?

EOMS was good, SF was also very good. The second CD from Some Girls was outstanding. This is a really poor effort. There are numerous artists who have consistently reissued extensive multi-CD outtake sets. Please take them as your example.

Posted by: Ya-Yas ()
Date: October 7, 2018 14:56

Hi Father Ted,
thank you for your great post. Spot on.

Matti

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 7, 2018 15:26

According to the Discogs site, there has been close to 300 'versions' of BB released over the years.
Hardly surprising that most record companies just regard albums as product.
Will be interesting though to see what marketing effort ABKCO put in...and what sales are generated.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 7, 2018 20:40

BB's reissue could've been so much better.

I'm really disappointed, but can consume myself that the Voodoo gig is coming out.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 8, 2018 05:35

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
This Deluxe release of Beggars is appalling. And after I told ABKCO so, I got banned.

Mathijs

grinning smiley

I did too, two days later my posts deleted (or rather, NOT relevant so not displayed)

Rod

Date: October 8, 2018 14:57

Father Ted
My message to the people who make and market these deluxe packages is: consider whether you're just trying to flog units over the short-term or whether you want to make a product which will generate stable long-term sales?

This set is another example of style over substance. I already own the BB CD and but I haven't owned a record player in years. I wouldn't have hesitated to pre-order a simple two CD package or even a £50 package like the Sticky Fingers box.

Let it Bleed is, imo, the Stones magnum opus. You can reissue LIB as a bunch of pretty coloured records in a box with a few irrelevant trinkets but I won't be buying that either unless a) it's available on CD and b) comes with at least one CD of outtakes. Personally, I'm not interested in marginally-different versions of the songs from the original album, although that is probably the easiest, cheapest option. We all know there are scores of outtakes. Perhaps there are good reasons why you can't/won't release them?

EOMS was good, SF was also very good. The second CD from Some Girls was outstanding. This is a really poor effort. There are numerous artists who have consistently reissued extensive multi-CD outtake sets. Please take them as your example.

that is because those artists are involved. the stones have nothing to do with this release as far as I know

Date: October 8, 2018 17:44

Jimmy Page and to some degree Macca certainly get involved in their product.
In fact Page doesn't appear to do much else.
I'm not sure that Dylan puts any time into the Bootleg Series, however, save probably having a final say on the eventual track listing.
What he does is obviously have a team whom he trusts to get on with the job in hand.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 8, 2018 20:01

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
This Deluxe release of Beggars is appalling. And after I told ABKCO so, I got banned.

Mathijs

grinning smiley

I did too, two days later my posts deleted (or rather, NOT relevant so not displayed)

My post disappeared too, hehe, thought I'd add some fuel to the fire! Screw 'em, they should have known better!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 8, 2018 20:53

Hard to conceive that the Beggar's 50 is a worse release than TSMR.

It's nice to have the stereo and mono in one package...I mean if they really won't offer any unreleased material as part of this, then at least offer mono and stereo versions of the cd/vinyl in one package.

They don't seem to understand that you can offer a fairly insubstantial package and we're still going to buy it, but you need to offer SOMETHING other than a 12" SFTD b/w an etching. Gimme a break.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 9, 2018 20:37

On Bluray.com already exist a page for the upcoming release..

[www.blu-ray.com]

[variety.com]

No new Stones songs...

“The Rock and Roll Circus”: TBD 2019
Planned as a BBC special, the December 1968 all-star performance was headlined by the Stones and featured John Lennon and Yoko Ono (with Eric Clapton), The Who, Marianne Faithfull, Jethro Tull and others. The Stones were unhappy with their six-song performance at the time and shelved the footage (although The Who’s performance was released a decade later in “The Kids Are Alright” documentary) until finally, in 1996, Abkco released the complete show — which, no matter what the Stones thought, features many tight performances and is a fascinating artifact of the era. This new reissue features:
– a DVD/ Blu-Ray of the performances in wide-screen Dolby Vision, with audio in Dolby Atmos;
– a full-color booklet;
– audio CDs or vinyl editions — including several previously unreleased tracks, most excitingly a brief but previously unreleased rehearsals of the Beatles’ “Revolution” and “Yer Blues” performed by John Lennon with Yoko Ono, Eric Clapton on guitar, Keith Richards on bass and Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell. Sadly, there is no new material from the Stones: While they played other songs during the taping — “Route 66” and “Confessin’ the Blues,” as well as a couple of solo acoustic blues numbers from Jagger — no recordings have emerged and it seems likely they were not recorded.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 9, 2018 21:26

One gets the feeling ABKCO feels it can get by with adding little, because they have the '50th Anniversary' impetus. If they have any additional material, songs, etc., maybe they're saving them for the '60th Anniversary' in 2028. ABKCO probably doesn't have a whole lot of Stones material left, and will try to milk it long as possible. It's not like they're a major player in the current recording industry. Guess I'll start looking at flea market bootlegs again, now that whatever ABKCO has, isn't hitting the streets anytime soon.

And if there is additional RRC footage, it would have been among the cans found in that barn.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 9, 2018 21:50

treaclefingers
Hard to conceive that the Beggar's 50 is a worse release than TSMR.

Silly me I thought the expanded BB would include bits of the early 1968 "Surrey Rehearsals" R.G. Jones Studios tape... where the transition from "exhausted band from the 1967 psychedelic era" to "creators of modern rock" started.

Silly me... Silly me... grinning smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 9, 2018 22:55

I suspect ABKCO would love to add unreleased material as bonus content. It would only help sales and, as discussed in another thread by retired dog, the looming threat of public domain means time is not on their side. ABKCO cannot release additional content without the Stones' legal consent. Soldatti was told by Universal that unreleased material would be included. If it didn't happen, it is because it is being saved for a separate package or the band simply decided to block its release. Since Allen Klein's passing, we've had the expanded YA-YA'S, LIVE IN ENGLAND 1965, the IBC demos as an EP with GRRR, and ON AIR. I'm as disappointed as anyone else, but it's either a marketing decision or the band's decision to veto its release.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: October 9, 2018 22:56

The Yaya's and Charlie deluxe boxes were not bad. What happened with TSMR and BB? On a positive note, you appreciate your 2002 SACD and Mono box titles a lot more.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: October 10, 2018 11:34

Could it just be that at long last The Stones might be planning to remember Brian next year 2019
And are saving up the BB out takes for that? I really hope so.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 10, 2018 11:50

Kingbeebuzz
Could it just be that at long last The Stones might be planning to remember Brian next year 2019

Dont wanna be negative but that wont happen.they will be too busy with the new album n usa tour.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-10 11:51 by corriecas.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 10, 2018 18:30

Kingbeebuzz

Hah, as if.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 10, 2018 19:34

do the band need a 50th anniversary to remember brian.

shouldnt he be mentioned every concert, before a song from his era is played.

Date: October 10, 2018 20:00

Nah, they don't.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 10, 2018 21:59

Terrible. If they don't have anything good to release – don't release it – we already have it. It's just embarrassing.

And as if it was the 60s all over again, The Beatles are out-deluxing them completely with the new 2018 edition of the White Album:

"CDs four, five and six will contain 50 additional studio outtakes, mostly previously-unreleased, from the White Album sessions, mixed from the four-track and eight-track tapes and presented chronologically."

[www.beatlesbible.com]

Date: October 10, 2018 22:19

It's easier for 'The Beatles' because the majority of their work took place in the same studio etc and they don't have the same hassles about rights and so on.

Date: October 10, 2018 22:43

His Majesty
It's easier for 'The Beatles' because the majority of their work took place in the same studio etc and they don't have the same hassles about rights and so on.

True, to a certain extent. However BB was essentially recorded at Olympic and Sunset Sound, LA. So not exactly 'all over the place' this time.
Though you could add: Redlands and RG Studios.
Perhaps the 1973 Redlands fire destroyed some of the rehearsal tapes?

Actually, The Beatles White Album was also recorded at Trident; but this was highly unusual.

Date: October 10, 2018 22:48

Yeah, I'm sure they have lots of ace works in progress 'live' takes and so on like what is heard on the Satanic Sessions box sets. There just doesn't seem to be the will or interest to release stuff like that.

@#$%&.

thumbs down

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 10, 2018 22:54

Kingbeebuzz

You'll never find a Stones member being caught putting the words "remember" & "Brian" in the same sentence. grinning smiley
Okay, Charlie maybe, but he has no say in the re-releases.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 11, 2018 00:02

I think we should boycott this money grab. just my 2 cents

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2018 08:50

nick
The Yaya's and Charlie deluxe boxes were not bad. What happened with TSMR and BB? On a positive note, you appreciate your 2002 SACD and Mono box titles a lot more.

there have been some excellent abkco releases of late. this isn't one of them.

Date: October 11, 2018 09:33

His Majesty

Yes, that's definitely a reason. The actual studios don't matter that much, but contractually, the former Beatles are in an easier situation, I guess.

Date: October 11, 2018 09:38

treaclefingers
nick

I wouldn't call Ya-Ya's excellent – theoretically, they could have made a 4+ CD box with lots of stuff from the '69 tour, but all we got was like four bonus tracks.

But it's weird ... I don't think ABKCO is waiting for a better opportunity, time-wise, because the Stones fans are getting older, CDs and vinyls is getting old, copyright periods are ticking and "competition" from other artists' deluxe packages is plenty. Gotta be something holding them back? But the Stones themselves have sanctioned lots of outtakes, DVDs and stuff from 1971-78 – plus Charlie Is My Darling and On Air – so why would they hold this back?

Date: October 11, 2018 10:12

LieB
treaclefingers
nick

I wouldn't call Ya-Ya's excellent – theoretically, they could have made a 4+ CD box with lots of stuff from the '69 tour, but all we got was like four bonus tracks.

But it's weird ... I don't think ABKCO is waiting for a better opportunity, time-wise, because the Stones fans are getting older, CDs and vinyls is getting old, copyright periods are ticking and "competition" from other artists' deluxe packages is plenty. Gotta be something holding them back? But the Stones themselves have sanctioned lots of outtakes, DVDs and stuff from 1971-78 – plus Charlie Is My Darling and On Air – so why would they hold this back?

Not entirely true, as the versions on the dvd are different than those on the album.

And let's not forget BB King and Ike & Tina winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home