Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 19
Re: Beggars Banquet and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets to be released?
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 3, 2018 13:45

Bashlets
Maybe this is just for the vinyl. Perhaps a 2 disc cd is still coming or take is a lost opportunity. No one will buy this like satanic if nothing new is added

Dream on. If there's a 2 CD set it will be stereo and mono.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Beggars Banquet and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets to be released?
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 3, 2018 13:48

Deltics
Bashlets
Maybe this is just for the vinyl. Perhaps a 2 disc cd is still coming or take is a lost opportunity. No one will buy this like satanic if nothing new is added

Dream on. If there's a 2 CD set it will be stereo and mono.
And it will be ordinary redbook but no SACD-hybrid.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 3, 2018 15:56

According to [www.hauraki.co.nz] :

Beggars Banquet (50th Anniversary Edition) CD/Digital Track List
1) Sympathy for the Devil
2) No Expectations
3) Dear Doctor
4) Parachute Woman
5) Jigsaw Puzzle
6) Street Fighting Man
7) Prodigal Son
8) Stray Cat Blues
9) Factory Girl
10) Salt of the Earth

+ a 12" single of SFTD in mono

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 3, 2018 16:02

Disappointed yes. Even georgelicks (having Universal connections) in the first page mentioned that there will be some bonus tracks. Now it looks like the only new material is a Jagger interview.

Basically this new deluxe follows the pattern of THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIC REQUEST from last year. And probbaly LET IT BLEED is treated similary next year. This begs some questions.

Why no real bonus material?

There does exist for sure - there is a lot of discussion of suitable material in this thread, things like "Still A Fool", "Everybody Pays Their Dues", "Highway Child".. and there probably even are things we don't know have a clue about.

I cannot help but to think that the Stones themselves do (still) not have much heart with these Klein/Decca era releases no matter how classical and important these are for their career and reputation. Even though their whole catalogue now belongs to Universal (and Klein is dead). As far as I know they still have the right to say 'no' to anything not yet released material from the ABKCO owned era and no can do a shit about it. And if I am right, they still physically own/possess the recordings - or do they (if not, they still have the veto). So now ABKCO is only left with some odd Japan-relaesed Jagger interview (since that is officially released The Stones cannot prevent its release). The Deluxe version of YA-YA'S seems to be the only exception to a rule (The Stones co-operating by letting the bonus tracks to be released).

From a business point this is odd. To have some extra material that would surely help the sales (for example, I don't need a new fancy-dressed box with whatever formats of the same old thing). But probably that's still question of such a minor amount of money that they have 'afford' to it (or prevent anyone else making a bonus dollar by their expense). Or they are just so busy making the new album that they cannot be bothered...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 16:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 3, 2018 16:06

"Even though their whole catalogue now belongs to Universal."

None of their back catalogue belongs to Universal.
Universal distribute both ABKCO and Promotone/RSR "product" but don't own it.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 3, 2018 16:09

Deltics
"Even though their whole catalogue now belongs to Universal."

None of their back catalogue belongs to Universal.
Universal distribute both ABKCO and Promotone/RSR "product" but don't own it.

Sorry, my semantical problem. A wrong word.

- Doxa

Date: October 3, 2018 16:35

kowalski
According to [www.hauraki.co.nz] :

Beggars Banquet (50th Anniversary Edition) CD/Digital Track List
1) Sympathy for the Devil
2) No Expectations
3) Dear Doctor
4) Parachute Woman
5) Jigsaw Puzzle
6) Street Fighting Man
7) Prodigal Son
8) Stray Cat Blues
9) Factory Girl
10) Salt of the Earth

+ a 12" single of SFTD in mono

+ a flexidisc with the Mick telephone interview.

Date: October 3, 2018 16:36

Actually, a kind of worry occurred to me about the upcoming Deluxe version of BEGGARS BANQUET (or anything in regards to ABKCO owned pre-´71 era) when I read this Joyce Smyth interview in August:

---

Can you clarify the ownership of masters and copyrights? Is it as simple as pre-’71 they are owned and controlled by ABCKO and post-71 they are owned and controlled by the band – licensed to Universal for masters and BMG for publishing?

It is, you’re dead right, it’s pre-’71 versus post, that’s correct.

And is acquiring the pre-’71 catalogue from ABCKO something you explore? Something that’s permanently on the agenda?

Well, it would be lovely, wouldn’t it, to get those babies back. But it’s very complicated and probably I shouldn’t say more than that. Other than, yes, it would be lovely.

Does it make it problematic at all, having that catalog in two different places?

I think, to be honest, because it’s been like that for so long, one is used to it. It’s sub-optimal, it’s not ideal, but we live with it. And we know how to deal with it.

---

"we know how to deal with it" , "we are so used to it" = still showing ABKCO a middle finger?

Dead right!

Get your babies back, boys!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 16:37 by Doxa.

Date: October 3, 2018 16:43

A reasonable question today would be: Who owns the rights to the outtakes?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 3, 2018 16:51

if it dont have nothing new i wont buy it.

i already have beggars banquet,

how many times are people expected to buy the same songs over and over again.

seems like a missed opportunity to add something fresh.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 3, 2018 16:53

This is, without question, utter crap and A HUGE disappointment. It'll be the first Stones archive/deluxe/reissue release of any sort that I will not buy. I actually find it repugnant that they would release this in expectation we would buy it. It's a nonsense...

Sorry. No Expectations...

Rod

Date: October 3, 2018 16:56

bitusa2012
This is, without question, utter crap and A HUGE disappointment. It'll be the first Stones archive/deluxe/reissue release of any sort that I will not buy. I actually find it repugnant that they would release this in expectation we would buy it. It's a nonsense...

Sorry. No Expectations...

«They» most probably are ABKCO.

The Stones are releasing Voodoo Lounge Uncut the very same day. That says it all...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 3, 2018 16:58

I have the original flexi disc, think I should buy the reproduction?

Date: October 3, 2018 17:09

DandelionPowderman

Anything not officially released yet but recorded prior this day in 1968: no one... or we all!

Like what happened with those SATANIC SESSIONS last year - they are 'public domain' stuff.

I think - but don't know! - ABKCO owns all the stuff recorded by the Stones pre-'71 (but not any longer the outtakes prior October 3rd 1968, only the released stuff).

The Dylan people handled the 'public domain' problem cleverly by having released about anything before 50 years expires to keep the control of Dylan's performances both live and studio. Made the hardcore fans happy too...

I think this is also a kind of problem or an issue the Stones are having with ABKCO now - they are letting all their hidden treasures to slip from their hands day by day.... The bootleggers are happy, but for us fans it would mean that if they don't "officially" release this stuff now, they most likely will never do that in future... They can, of course, but would they be that interested if they don't own the rights any longer.

- Doxa

Date: October 3, 2018 17:10

DandelionPowderman

The Stones are releasing Voodoo Lounge Uncut the very same day. That says it all...

Exactly!

- Doxa

Date: October 3, 2018 17:13

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Anything not officially released yet but recorded prior this day in 1968: no one... or we all!

Like what happened with those SATANIC SESSIONS last year - they are 'public domain' stuff.

I think - but don't know! - ABKCO owns all the stuff recorded by the Stones pre-'71 (but not any longer the outtakes prior October 3rd 1968, only the released stuff).

The Dylan people handled the 'public domain' problem cleverly by having released about anything before 50 years expires to keep the control of Dylan's performances both live and studio. Made the hardcore fans happy too...

I think this is also a kind of problem or an issue the Stones are having with ABKCO now - they are letting all their hidden treasures to slip from their hands day by day.... The bootleggers are happy, but for us fans it would mean that if they don't "officially" release this stuff now, they most likely will never do that in future... They can, of course, but would they be that interested if they don't own the rights any longer.

- Doxa

It might be that the Stones own them, and that ABKCO can't release them without the Stones's consent..

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 3, 2018 17:24

About Rock and Roll Circus (2019)

This new reissue features:
– a DVD/ Blu-Ray of the performances in wide-screen Dolby Vision, with audio in Dolby Atmos;
– a full-color booklet;
– audio CDs or vinyl editions — including several previously unreleased tracks, most excitingly a brief but previously unreleased rehearsals of the Beatles’ “Revolution” and “Yer Blues” performed by John Lennon with Yoko Ono, Eric Clapton on guitar, Keith Richards on bass and Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell. Sadly, there is no new material from the Stones:

[variety.com]

Date: October 3, 2018 17:28

Okay, Rock and Roll Circus looks like a possible good thing, happy to say.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 3, 2018 17:46

Content confirmed by Super deluxe edition website : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Date: October 3, 2018 17:58

DandelionPowderman

It might be that the Stones own them, and that ABKCO can't release them without the Stones's consent..

Yeah, it could be so. My picture is more like the Stones own them physically but ABKCO has the rights for them, as odd as it might sound. LIke is with those STICKY FINGERS/EXILE tracks that were still cut under their DECCA contract (though there were some oddness there, too - someone was fooling someone there...grinning smiley). Any case, ABKCO can't release anything not yet released from pre-71 without Stones' approval. Since the early 80's not even new compilations.

But if the Stones would like to release by their own these BEGGARS out-takes now, I don't think that would be possible without ABKCO's approval. But I don't think that would be any issue - it happened with EXILE and STICKY FINGERS Bonus albums. For ABKCO that would only mean some extra money for doing nothing.

Complicated, says Smyth...

My opinion is that this whole Stones vs. ABKCO fiasco is one of the saddest chapters in Stones story. Too much money, pride and pure stupidity involved there. It takes two to a tango...

- Doxa

Date: October 3, 2018 18:00

And they collaborated greatly with the Charlie Is My Darling-release..

Date: October 3, 2018 18:18

DandelionPowderman
And they collaborated greatly with the Charlie Is My Darling-release..

Yeah, they did. As they did with ROCK & ROLL CIRCUS earlier (and seemingly now). Add there CROSSFIRE HURRICANE. Although how different it is legally with the films - is it more like it was with ON AIR for which BBC had the rights, and if I recall right, ABKCO was not involved anyway. But then we had the live album from 1965, the early demos in GRRRR.., etc.

There is some nice collaboration if there is a will...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 18:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 3, 2018 18:25

kowalski
Content confirmed by Super deluxe edition website : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

"In stark contrast to the forthcoming White Album reissue, no unheard bonus audio forms part of this 50th anniversary package"

Hmmm...after all the hopes and dreams, my expectations have been shattered.
Aside from the 12-inch mono vinyl which would be nice to have, the rest of this "Super Deluxe" package is underwhelming at best.

Looking forward to the Beatles, Dylan, and Hendrix sets.thumbs up

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 3, 2018 18:30

Had No expectations
Once I was a rich man and
Now (that I spent all my money in records) I am so poor
But never in my sweet short life
Am I going to buy this

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 3, 2018 18:30

Official confirmation by ABKCO:

Beggars Banquet (50th Anniversary Edition): [www.Facebook.com] , [Twitter.com]

Official lyric video “Street Fighting Man": [www.Facebook.com] , [Twitter.com]

Large version of this picture.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 19:35 by Irix.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 3, 2018 18:35

Date: October 3, 2018 18:36

They saved me some money, I'm kind of happy.

Re: Beggars Banquet and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 3, 2018 19:33

Rolling Stones to Release Deluxe Reissues of ‘Beggars Banquet,’ ‘Rock and Roll Circus’ (EXCLUSIVE)

1968 was a crucial year for the Stones: These archival releases find the group in fighting form, and "Circus" features a previously unreleased John Lennon version of "Revolution."

By Jem Aswad

In 1968, the Rolling Stones were at the proverbial crossroads. They were one of the world’s two greatest rock bands, but the preceding months would have decimated a less tenacious group of individuals. Three Stones — Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Brian Jones — had been arrested on drug charges and narrowly avoided long prison sentences. The band hadn’t had a genuine hit single in more than a year, and hadn’t toured the U.S or their native U.K. in 18 months. They’d parted ways with Andrew Loog Oldham, who’d managed them and produced their records for their entire career. They’d just released the most negatively reviewed album to their career to date, “Their Satanic Majesties Request.” And Jones, who was to die in an accidental drowning the following year, was disintegrating before their eyes due to substance abuse, and his longtime girlfriend Anita Pallenberg had left him — for Richards.

In 1968, the Rolling Stones were at the proverbial crossroads. They were one of the world’s two greatest rock bands, but the preceding months would have decimated a less tenacious group of individuals. Three Stones — Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Brian Jones — had been arrested on drug charges and narrowly avoided long prison sentences. The band hadn’t had a genuine hit single in more than a year, and hadn’t toured the U.S or their native U.K. in 18 months. They’d parted ways with Andrew Loog Oldham, who’d managed them and produced their records for their entire career. They’d just released the most negatively reviewed album to their career to date, “Their Satanic Majesties Request.” And Jones, who was to die in an accidental drowning the following year, was disintegrating before their eyes due to substance abuse, and his longtime girlfriend Anita Pallenberg had left him — for Richards.

If the Stones hadn’t stepped up in 1968, they might have ended up like the Dave Clark Five. (Okay, maybe not the Dave Clark Five.) But they responded with “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Sympathy for the Devil,” “Street Fighting Man” and the rest of the iconic “Beggars Banquet,” as well as several songs that would appear on the ensuing albums “Let It Bleed,” “Sticky Fingers” and “Exile on Main Street.” It remains one of the greatest creative bursts in rock history.

Abkco, which curates the group’s early catalog, is celebrating the 1968 Stones with three special releases emanating from that year: a remastered and repackaged “Beggars Banquet” vinyl reissue; a restored version of Jean-Luc Godard’s “Sympathy for the Devil” film (which documents the Stones recording the titular song); and, early next year, an expanded reissue of the legendary “Rock and Roll Circus” video and album.

“Beggars’ Banquet”: Nov. 16
Last upgraded in 2002, the iconic album has been transferred from the original stereo tape to direct stream digital and remastered by mastering master Bob Ludwig. Whatever all of that means, it sounded great in a preview Variety received from Abkco chief engineer Teri Landi. This is an album that should never sound too clean, and the twin engines of this album — Richards’ acoustic guitar and Charlie Watts’ drums — are made brighter while not losing, for example, the murky swirl of instruments on the fade of “Street Fighting Man.” The remastered limited-edition vinyl reissue includes:
– a gatefold jacket with a special slipcover, including both the rejected original “bathroom-wall” artwork as well as the white cover that replaced it;
– a bonus 12” of the song “Sympathy For the Devil” in mono (the only song from the album to be truly mixed in mono), backed with an etching of the original ‘toilet’ cover;
– a replica of a rare Japanese bonus flexi disc containing a phone interview with Mick Jagger from 1968, originally included with initial Japanese pressings of “Beggars Banquet” and unknown even to many die-hard fans;
– a download code for the album plus interview.

“Sympathy for the Devil” (a.k.a. “One Plus One”): Oct. 5
Legendary director Jean-Luc Godard filmed the group over five days in the studio, during which they just happened to be recording “Sympathy for the Devil,” one of their most iconic and menacing songs. The film — which has been carefully restored in 4K and will be available as a BluRay, DVD and download in North America — intercuts that footage with seemingly unrelated crypto-revolutionary scenes from the era, but it provides a fascinating record of the song’s evolution and the group’s creative process, as it moves from a rough acoustic version to a slow rock take to the percussion-filled, samba-fied final arrangement.

“The Rock and Roll Circus”: TBD 2019
Planned as a BBC special, the December 1968 all-star performance was headlined by the Stones and featured John Lennon and Yoko Ono (with Eric Clapton), The Who, Marianne Faithfull, Jethro Tull and others. The Stones were unhappy with their six-song performance at the time and shelved the footage (although The Who’s performance was released a decade later in “The Kids Are Alright” documentary) until finally, in 1996, Abkco released the complete show — which, no matter what the Stones thought, features many tight performances and is a fascinating artifact of the era. This new reissue features:
– a DVD/ Blu-Ray of the performances in wide-screen Dolby Vision, with audio in Dolby Atmos;
– a full-color booklet;
– audio CDs or vinyl editions — including several previously unreleased tracks, most excitingly a brief but previously unreleased rehearsals of the Beatles’ “Revolution” and “Yer Blues” performed by John Lennon with Yoko Ono, Eric Clapton on guitar, Keith Richards on bass and Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell. Sadly, there is no new material from the Stones: While they played other songs during the taping — “Route 66” and “Confessin’ the Blues,” as well as a couple of solo acoustic blues numbers from Jagger — no recordings have emerged and it seems likely they were not recorded.

[variety.com]

Re: Beggars Banquet, One Plus One and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 3, 2018 19:58

"... "Circus" features a previously unreleased John Lennon version of "Revolution."'

Excellent. thumbs up

"Sadly, there is no new material from the Stones"

Yes, very sad.

Re: Beggars Banquet, One Plus One and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 3, 2018 20:03

Well there we are. Slighty underwhelming news but I'm not that fussed tbh.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home