Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 19
Beggars Banquet, One Plus One and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 4, 2018 02:52

Report: The Rolling Stones prepping 50th anniversary releases

July 3, 2018

Photo by Mark and Colleen Hayward/Redferns/Getty Images

It looks as though Rolling Stones fans have several archival releases coming their way. According to various fan reports, 50th anniversary sets of the band’s all-star Rock And Roll Circus projects, along with their watershed 1968 comeback album, Beggars Banquet, are set for special reissues.

A message tipping fans off on the unofficial Facebook page “Stoned – Celebrating Everything About The Rolling Stones” read: “This September we should see the beginning of three releases by ABKCO of Rolling Stones projects. There will be a 50th Anniversary release of the album Beggars Banquet, which I don’t know all the details of. The Rolling Stones Rock N’ Roll Circus has been remastered for Blu-ray (maybe 4k as well), and the (in-studio documentary) movie One Plus One will be released on Blu-ray as well and a possible theatrical release in 3D. There might be bonus material for all three projects but I don’t have any definitive answers yet.” There’s been no official word regarding any 50th anniversary releases.

Back in 1968, Mick Jagger appeared in the rock documentary Popcorn: An Audio Visual Thing, which was released the following year and featured him talking about the Stones’ then-recent Beggars Banquet sessions. He was asked if the band was recording the type of music they themselves wanted to hear: “Is my — is the Stones music? Mmm, I quite enjoy listening to it, but there’s only just one facet of what we like to do. The album that we’ve just done is just one kind of thing. I don’t want to do that at all, y’know, I don’t think I want to do that kind of thing any more.”

The Stones perform tomorrow night (July 4th) in Prague, Czech Republic. The band wraps its 2018 “No Filter” European tour on July 8th in Warsaw, Poland.

Fast Facts:

The Rolling Stones’ Beggars Banquet was released on December 6th, 1968.

The album, which peaked at Number Four on the Billboard 200 albums chart featured such instant classics as “Sympathy For The Devil,” “No Expectations,” “Stray Cat Blues,” “Street Fighting Man,” and “Salt Of The Earth.”

The Stones’ Top Three comeback hit “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” was recorded during the Beggars Banquet sessions.

The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus was taped on December 10th and 11th, 1968 at London’s Twickenham Studios. The Circus was originally envisioned as being a holiday TV special for the Stones to promote their latest album, Beggars Banquet, and featured the band’s final performance with Brian Jones, along with along with performances by the Who, Jethro Tull, Marianne Faithfull, Taj Mahal, and the Dirty Mac — a one-off supergroup with John Lennon, Eric Clapton, the Stones’ Keith Richards, and Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell.

Not only was it Lennon’s first gig apart from the Beatles, it was also his first live appearance with Yoko Ono, when she joined the Dirty Mac for an impromptu jam.

ABKCO Records eventually released the show on CD and DVD in 1996.

Side Notes:

The Rolling Stones have announced the latest collection in their ongoing archival series with the July 13th release of From The Vault: No Security – San Jose 1999. The new set will be available on DVD, Blu-ray, DVD/CD, DVD/LP and digital formats.

The track listing for From The Vault: No Security – San Jose 1999 is: “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Bitch,” “You Got Me Rocking,” “Respectable,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “I Got The Blues,” “Saint Of Me,” “Some Girls,” “Paint It Black,” “You Got The Silver,” “Before They Make Me Run,” “Out Of Control,” “Route 66,” Get Off Of My Cloud,” “Midnight Rambler,” “Tumbling Dice,” “It’s Only Rock N’ Roll (But I Like It),” “Start Me Up,” “Brown Sugar,” and “Sympathy For The Devil.”

[www.kshe95.com]

EDIT (3 October):

Rolling Stones to Release Deluxe Reissues of ‘Beggars Banquet,’ ‘Rock and Roll Circus’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 19:42 by Cristiano Radtke.

Re: Beggars Banquet and Rock and Roll Circus to be re-released?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2018 02:58

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Beggars ………

ROCKMAN

Re: Beggars Banquet and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets to be released?
Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 4, 2018 07:19

Beggars Banquet would be great.

Re: Beggars Banquet and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets to be released?
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: July 4, 2018 12:46

If it will be the same as with Satanic Majesties we can forget it.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 4, 2018 14:07

I'm looking forward to 2019. Maybe for the 50th we get deluxe Let it Bleed and finally the entire MSG show from 1969. Now that would be awesome

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 14:36

Oh yes !

Bashlets
I'm looking forward to 2019. Maybe for the 50th we get deluxe Let it Bleed and finally the entire MSG show from 1969. Now that would be awesome

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 4, 2018 16:15

Thanks, Cristiano.

Anyone familiar with the "Stoned – Celebrating Everything About The Rolling Stones" Facebook page? Maybe that person posts here.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 4, 2018 16:21

If they do Beggars Banquet 50, I hope they'd use the white invitation cover.
The white cover is classier, not pretentious like the toilet cover, more factual (matches the original release), better.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 4, 2018 16:22

midnrambler

It will be released with bonus songs, that's the word on Universal, very much like Sticky Fingers on 2015.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 4, 2018 16:25

schillid
If they do Beggars Banquet 50, I hope they'd use the white invitation cover.
The white cover is classier, not pretentious like the toilet cover, more factual (matches the original release), better.

I won't be surprised if they release both covers, the white one and the toilet cover, just to cash in with every variation available.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 4, 2018 16:31

georgelicks
midnrambler

It will be released with bonus songs, that's the word on Universal, very much like Sticky Fingers on 2015.
I hope there will be pricing error on amazon too, like they did in 2015 for Sticky Fingers Superdeluxe winking smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 4, 2018 16:37

Bashlets

...one can only hope!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 17:27

What is the consensus of what COULD BE on a deluxe Beggars? And, if different, what SHOULD be? Is there anything "unreleased" thru bootleg channels that is known to exist from this record's sessions? Are we expecting anything "new", or are we simply wetting ourselves with the prospect of properly mixed/produced versions of stuff we already own by way of relatively poor audio on existing bootlegs?

And don't get me wrong. It's one of the all time great albums. So any deluxe version of it is going to be mine. But WHAT could be in a deluxe package that we don't already possess in some form?

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-04 17:28 by bitusa2012.

Date: July 4, 2018 18:36

midnrambler

exactly

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 4, 2018 19:03

There's no live material from 68 (apart from the NME show) so all they offer is studio outtakes.
Do we really want inferior takes/versions of the stunners that are on BB?

Remember cd8 of the "Satanic Sessions" boxes which offered 11 (!!) half-baked takes of "Jigsaw Puzzle". confused smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 4, 2018 19:13

dcba
There's no live material from 68 (apart from the NME show) so all they offer is studio outtakes.
Do we really want inferior takes/versions of the stunners that are on BB?

Remember cd8 of the "Satanic Sessions" boxes which offered 11 (!!) half-baked takes of "Jigsaw Puzzle". confused smiley
They also should have some 20-30 minutes of 'SFTD in progress' from One Plus One soundtrack.

Date: July 4, 2018 19:32

Otoh if they give us a few cuts (or Gob forbid! a whole disc) from the February'68 "Surrey Rehearsals" in perfect quality... yes! thumbs up

Historically it's one of the most important studio sessions from the golden era as it marked the beginning of the rebirth of the band (after the disastrous year 1967).

Another possibility is they'll follow a "SG deluxe" road and give an extra CD full of new songs ("Give Me A Hamburger To Go" and others). I hope they won't as I find all the 1968 rejects quite sub-par.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 4, 2018 20:23

Looking forward to the Beggars Deluxe, but even more so the Beatles White album Deluxe.
What will be on either is anyone's guess really, but I won't complain or praise until I get them, or maybe before that when the outrageous prices are revealed ha.

Date: July 4, 2018 20:32

bitusa2012
What is the consensus of what COULD BE on a deluxe Beggars? And, if different, what SHOULD be? Is there anything "unreleased" thru bootleg channels that is known to exist from this record's sessions? Are we expecting anything "new", or are we simply wetting ourselves with the prospect of properly mixed/produced versions of stuff we already own by way of relatively poor audio on existing bootlegs?

And don't get me wrong. It's one of the all time great albums. So any deluxe version of it is going to be mine. But WHAT could be in a deluxe package that we don't already possess in some form?

There are some alternate takes. Not sure if they would include any material from the early Jumpin' Jack Flash/Child of the Moon sessions. They supposedly rehearsed a few covers at those sessions. There is the alternate version of Jumpin' Jack Flash from the promo video. Not sure if they would include that or not.

They also supposedly rehearsed some covers for the Rock 'n' Roll Circus. I am not sure if they would be included on an anniversary edition of that or not.

- Route 66 (Bobby Troup) -unverified
- Confessin' The Blues (Walter Brown/Jay McShann) -unverified
- Look On Yonder Wall (James Clark) -unverified
- Walkin’ Blues (Robert Johnson) -unverified

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-04 20:35 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 4, 2018 21:07

bye bye johnny
Thanks, Cristiano.

Anyone familiar with the "Stoned – Celebrating Everything About The Rolling Stones" Facebook page? Maybe that person posts here.

Not me, but I've read similar posts on another FB groups.

Date: July 4, 2018 21:33

The person that posted it is named Rob Weingartner.

He also posted this.

I don't have specific details yet as to whether there will be bonus material, but I guess the 'Circus' and 'One Plus One' will have the same material as the original films. I should get more details soon. I gave ABKCO a lot of original magazine articles about all three releases but they told me they might only use one article for the 'Circus'. Once I speak to them again I willl try to get more specific details about each release. I think ABKCO were contemplating a 'Circus' box set.

In addition, KSHE-95 radio station in St. Louis posted this on their Facebook page.

[www.kshe95.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-05 00:06 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: July 4, 2018 23:41

I hope we will get both mono and stereo versions of the album AND a remix in surround 5.1 sound. I guess such a remix is possible for the whole album since SFTD was released in that format in 2002. Maybe also a new stereo mix. Included also JJF and COTM of course. If there are anything else from BB sessions it should be included as well.
Matt

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 5, 2018 00:03

I hope they do it right rather than the mishmash and revisionism that blighted the other three deluxe releases (A 'Satanic Majesties' era instrumental as an 'Exile' bonus track? Seriously?)

Sticky Fingers was very underwhelming - not helped by the fact that so many of the leftover songs were later used for Exile. The studio bonus tracks were a waste of time, to be honest. The project was only worthwhile because of the 1971 live material (and even then, only releasing 5 songs from those outstanding Roundhouse shows was a very frustrating tease)

Theres already a lot of outtakes from Beggars Banquet and plenty of good alternate versions so a deluxe release certainly has potential to be the best of these projects yet.

I wouldnt be too hopeful of getting much in the way of live footage though. Live material from 1969 belongs to another project, surely.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 5, 2018 00:43

boogaloojef
The person that posted it is named Rob Weingartner.

He also posted this.

I don't have specific details yet as to whether there will be bonus material, but I guess the 'Circus' and 'One Plus One' will have the same material as the original films. I should get more details soon. I gave ABKCO a lot of original magazine articles about all three releases but they told me they might only use one article for the 'Circus'. Once I speak to them again I willl try to get more specific details about each release. I think ABKCO were contemplating a 'Circus' box set.

Thanks, boogaloojef. Presuming it's public, can you post a link to his Facebook?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 5, 2018 01:56

There are a lot of nice outtakes from the BB era
- Red Blood Wind
- Stuck Out All Alone
- And I Was a Country Boy
- Highway Child
- etc...
...not to mention the stuff that never leaked mentioned by Videojames in his book and the stuff we've never heard about like for Exile.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 5, 2018 02:09

It's posted in the Stoned – Celebrating Everything About The Rolling Stones Facebook group. You have to join the group to read the posts.

Date: July 5, 2018 09:54

gotdablouse
There are a lot of nice outtakes from the BB era
- Red Blood Wind
- Stuck Out All Alone
- And I Was a Country Boy
- Highway Child

According to the always knowledgeable Nico Zentgraf "And I Was A Country Boy" is from 1969 and "Highway Bound" (="Highway Child") is from 1970.
But that shouldn't prevent Mick from selling us these two as BB outtakes! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-05 12:23 by dcba.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 5, 2018 09:59

Two Trains Running aka Still A Fool with Keith and Brian on guitars is from ‘68.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: July 5, 2018 11:50

in the documentary "crossfire hurricane" there are scenes from r'n'roll circus
(for example while they are talking about brian and the song no expectations is played)
which are not in the known DVD, so there must be more stuff...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 6, 2018 07:53

JJF and Child of the Moon should be property put with BB. Just as Honky Tonk Women should be part of Let It Bleed.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home