Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones on Blu Ray Audio
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2018 02:35

I recently acquired Exile on Blu Ray audio. I've never heard anything quite like it. It's the first time I've heard true surround sound. There's not an open space. Everything is perfect, but not too bright. It's like you're there. It looks like their not releasing new high profile discs, so I've been scrounging around, trying to find what's out there at an agreeable price. (I got Exile, including shipping for $29 USD out of Germany). Earlier I purchased the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East, and was quite impressed. I just ordered Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key of Life for around $23 USD.

My question for Stones fans is twofold. Does anyone have an opinion on the other two Blu Ray audio releases, Grrr, and Let It Bleed? And, how do they compare to the Japanese SHM CDs?

Re: Rolling Stones on Blu Ray Audio
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 3, 2018 05:20

24FPS
My question for Stones fans is twofold. Does anyone have an opinion on the other two Blu Ray audio releases, Grrr, and Let It Bleed? And, how do they compare to the Japanese SHM CDs?

How can 'Let it Bleed' be anything other than mono? It's from the Decca years, so was recorded in mono.

It may well, and probably does, sound remarkable in Blu-Ray audio (as does the SACD version), but it's still going to be Mono.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: July 3, 2018 05:32

Grrr is worth purchasing just for the sheer number of tracks, the formats have minor differences, it all depends how you hear them. The ear is Analog Physical Electro.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 3, 2018 05:33

Let It Bleed is Dolby HD stereo, it sounds just beautiful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-03 11:05 by midimannz.

Date: July 3, 2018 05:55

midimannz
Let It Bleed is Dolby HD stereo, it sound beautiful

I didn't think Let It Bleed was mono. I was concerned about that on Grrr, for the older tracks to see if they'd have the same punch. When the Beatles remastered their old output in 2009 the early songs lacked muscle. The Stones ABKCO SACDs from 2002 were actually an improvement of the early tracks. Thanks. I'll look for Let It Bleed to come up for a reasonable price. Grrr could be had for cheap, but has increased dramatically on ebay recently. DVD-Audio the same story.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: July 3, 2018 06:15

I'm pretty sure the mono Let it Bleed is a fold down not a dedicated mono mix.
Stereo would be the way to go

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 3, 2018 11:07

24FPS
midimannz
Let It Bleed is Dolby HD stereo, it sound beautiful

I didn't think Let It Bleed was mono. I was concerned about that on Grrr, for the older tracks to see if they'd have the same punch. When the Beatles remastered their old output in 2009 the early songs lacked muscle. The Stones ABKCO SACDs from 2002 were actually an improvement of the early tracks. Thanks. I'll look for Let It Bleed to come up for a reasonable price. Grrr could be had for cheap, but has increased dramatically on ebay recently. DVD-Audio the same story.

Yeah, you can't buy it here.i wanted it real bad so I borrowed it from the 'Internet Library'

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 3, 2018 14:33

CaptainCorella
24FPS

How can 'Let it Bleed' be anything other than mono? It's from the Decca years, so was recorded in mono.

It may well, and probably does, sound remarkable in Blu-Ray audio (as does the SACD version), but it's still going to be Mono.

Virtually everything recorded at Chess and RCA Hollywood was recorded in stereo and the stereo versions of "Aftermath" and "Between The Buttons" are true stereo, not electronically processed, the mono versions are dedicated mono mixes. The same goes for "Satanic Majesties" recorded at Olympic in London. "Beggars Banquet" and "Let It Bleed" are also true stereo but the mono versions are fold downs rather than dedicated mixes with the exception of "Sympathy For The Devil". As far as I know the mono versions of these two weren't issued in the US.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-03 14:35 by Deltics.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 3, 2018 14:41

24FPS
I recently acquired Exile on Blu Ray audio. I've never heard anything quite like it. It's the first time I've heard true surround sound. There's not an open space. Everything is perfect, but not too bright. It's like you're there. It looks like their not releasing new high profile discs, so I've been scrounging around, trying to find what's out there at an agreeable price. (I got Exile, including shipping for $29 USD out of Germany). Earlier I purchased the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East, and was quite impressed. I just ordered Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key of Life for around $23 USD.

This is the first I've heard of the Exile Blu-Ray being in surround sound. I thought it was just very good quality. It's not in 5.1 one is it?

Date: July 3, 2018 14:42

I've tracked down bootleg 5.1 mixes of all the Stones albums from Satanic to Exile. The best sounding have been Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: majomuc ()
Date: July 3, 2018 15:49

The Grrrr. Bluray audio is really nice and worth looking for.

Don't have real comparison to other (bootleg) 5.1 / HighRes releases, but everything sounds beautiful enough for me.

Date: July 3, 2018 17:37

It's possible that I am mistaken but,I believe that the only official audio-only (excluding video discs) Rolling Stones surround sound was on the early 2000's "Sympathy for the Devil" SA-CD single.

Everything else,stereo or mono or unofficial ..... audio disc-wise.

Date: July 3, 2018 17:58

Winning Ugly VXII
It's possible that I am mistaken but,I believe that the only official audio-only (excluding video discs) Rolling Stones surround sound was on the early 2000's "Sympathy for the Devil" SA-CD single.

Everything else,stereo or mono or unofficial ..... audio disc-wise.

Correct.

Date: July 3, 2018 22:14

Silver Dagger
24FPS

This is the first I've heard of the Exile Blu-Ray being in surround sound. I thought it was just very good quality. It's not in 5.1 one is it?

The sound options are 2.0 PCM 2.0 DTS-HD and 2.0 Dolby TrueHD. I don't know if that means it's not pure 5.1, but it filled all five, plus my center speaker to the point it created a dome of sound.

Posted by: Hopiman ()
Date: July 3, 2018 22:52

24FPS

The sound options are 2.0 PCM 2.0 DTS-HD and 2.0 Dolby TrueHD. I don't know if that means it's not pure 5.1, but it filled all five, plus my center speaker to the point it created a dome of sound.

Then your player creates a virtual surround sound like some TVs create 3D.
But that's not like the real thing.

Date: July 3, 2018 23:11

Hopiman
24FPS

To quote U2: It's even better than the real thing....

Date: July 3, 2018 23:46

24FPS
Hopiman
24FPS

Ha!
You can try: Get abDark Side Of The Moon 5.1 Dvd
and compare it to the Dark Side Of The Moon CD on your player.
Even better than U2 ;-)

Date: July 4, 2018 00:17

Hopiman
24FPS
Hopiman
24FPS

Ha!
You can try: Get abDark Side Of The Moon 5.1 Dvd
and compare it to the Dark Side Of The Moon CD on your player.
Even better than U2 ;-)

The only problem with Dark Side is that I know I might listen to it once. It's one of those works I've heard and don't need repeated listening. In fact I don't think I've listened to it all the way through since 1975. I can't wait to hear my Songs In The Key of Life Blu Ray. I'll certainly be on the lookout for Blu Ray audio CDs and DVD-A before they've gone the way of Quadrophonic.

Date: July 4, 2018 10:32

24FPS

The only problem with Dark Side is that I know I might listen to it once. It's one of those works I've heard and don't need repeated listening. In fact I don't think I've listened to it all the way through since 1975. I can't wait to hear my Songs In The Key of Life Blu Ray. I'll certainly be on the lookout for Blu Ray audio CDs and DVD-A before they've gone the way of Quadrophonic.

I don't think there's a surround mix of Songs In The Key Of Life.
There was a bunch of Blu Ray audio releases some years ago (by Universal?), but most of them were only stereo, even if surround mixes existed (like the quad mix of Imagine).

I mentioned Dark Side because of the mix. Even if you don't like it you'll hear the difference between a real surround mix and a virtual one...

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: July 4, 2018 11:08

he only problem with Dark Side is that I know I might listen to it once. It's one of those works I've heard and don't need repeated listening. In fact I don't think I've listened to it all the way through since 1975.

Well... maybe try putting it on and putting on The Wizard of Oz... and see how it goes.
I have never actually done that... but it is on my list of things to do... someday... over the rainbow.

Date: July 4, 2018 13:16

24FPS
Silver Dagger
24FPS

2.0 means stereo ..... 2 channel sound mix.

5.1 surround mixes for five different speakers plus your subwoofer (LFE low frequency effects channel is the .1).

Most receivers or sound processors have a mode that will spread 2 channel stereo across all of the speakers connected. But,in that case,there are not 5 channels each mixed specifically for 5 different speakers.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 4, 2018 14:20

Of the three ones released the Let it bleed one sounds best. But it may be just the same thing as the jap SA-CD.
The Grrr is nice for the sheer quantity of tracks.
The EOMS is nice to have, but it surely doesn't beat the original vinyl.
There's already been a ton of threads on this subject.

Date: July 6, 2018 07:56

Winning Ugly VXII
24FPS
Silver Dagger
24FPS

5.1 surround mixes for five different speakers plus your subwoofer (LFE low frequency effects channel is the .1).

Most receivers or sound processors have a mode that will spread 2 channel stereo across all of the speakers connected. But,in that case,there are not 5 channels each mixed specifically for 5 different speakers.

I don't care how it was done. There was good pure sound coming out of all five speakers, plus the center speaker. I don't care if it's 'real'. It sounded like they were in the room playing it. I am curious about the Songs In The Key of Life Blu Ray CD. I haven't had time to listen to it. I don't know if it will have the same effect.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 6, 2018 10:10

24FPS
Winning Ugly VXII
24FPS
Silver Dagger
24FPS

The stunner is the CSNY 1974 bluray.
Pricey but worth it.

I don't care how it was done. There was good pure sound coming out of all five speakers, plus the center speaker. I don't care if it's 'real'. It sounded like they were in the room playing it. I am curious about the Songs In The Key of Life Blu Ray CD. I haven't had time to listen to it. I don't know if it will have the same effect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home