Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Band 'Music From Big Pink' 50th Anniversary Reissue
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 29, 2018 22:19

The Band Ready 'Music From Big Pink' 50th Anniversary Reissue

New stereo mix, outtakes, alternate takes and unreleased a cappella rendition of "I Shall Be Released" highlight 1968 LP's reissue

Elliott Landy/MAGNUM

[www.rollingstone.com]
--
[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: The Band 'Music From Big Pink' 50th Anniversary Reissue
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 29, 2018 22:28

This could've been so much better: bonus tracks very similar to the reissue in the early noughties.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 29, 2018 22:52

huh?
On my CD re-issue version frome 2000 are more outtake/alternates than on the new super deluxe edition (although not the a cappalla version of I Shall Be Released)
see: [www.amazon.de]

Date: June 29, 2018 23:17

yeah not very enticing

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 29, 2018 23:21

I guess the most interesting thing about this release might be the two 45RPM LPs. And that a cappella version of I Shall Be Released, of course.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 30, 2018 14:22

obviously no need to spend much money on this (and – btw – the more interesting stuff from that era is on Bob Dylan's bootleg series vol. 11 (deluxe edition))

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 30, 2018 17:03

You're basically just paying for the acapella version of I Shall Be Released. Thats it.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 1, 2018 13:23

Also, I think Rob Bowman does better sleeve notes than Robbie Robertson.

Robbie's book details the making of this album a lot more than this thing coming out in August 2018.

Date: July 24, 2018 03:40

"On newsstands August 7, Goldmine celebrates 50 years of The Band’s Music From Big Pink. Exclusive interview with Robbie Robertson."

[www.goldminemag.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 24, 2018 15:46

So do the proceeds go directly into Robbie's bank account ?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 11, 2018 16:55

The Band's Robbie Robertson Looks Back On 50 Years Of 'Music From Big Pink'

August 8, 2018
Bob Boilen

The Band. Woodstock, NY, '68
Elliott Landy//LandyVision, Inc

[www.npr.org]

Date: August 20, 2018 20:00

Two newly remixed versions can be listened on Spotify:

The Weight (remixed 2018)

This Wheel's on Fire (remixed 2018)

Date: August 25, 2018 05:33

Date: August 25, 2018 06:11

Robbie Robertson on Reissue of The Band's 'Music From Big Pink': 'I Hear Things That I Never Heard Before'

8/24/2018 by Gary Graff

Robbie Robertson is so busy these days that he doesn't "have a whole lot of time to reminisce." But the 50th anniversary of The Band's landmark debut album, Music From Big Pink, gave him reason to dip into the past and help prepare an anniversary edition that comes out Aug. 31.

Check out the specially created trailer for the set, which premieres below.

Trailer: The Band ‘Music from Big Pink’ (50th Anniversary Edition)

Music From Big Pink (50th Anniversary Edition) comes in several configurations, including a box set with CD, pink vinyl and Blu-ray versions. Adding studio chatter and additional annotation, it offers a broader look at what's considered one of the most seminal debut albums in rock history, taking The Band from its previous incarnation as Bob Dylan's backing group and vaulting it into the limelight.

"It's so deeply ingrained and so familiar," Robertson tells Billboard, "and revisiting it, knowing that this record has taken on a musical, historic place, I was listening to it differently, and with a lot of satisfaction. There is such a deep soul in that period of The Band, making music that still has the same magnet that I hoped it would have back then. When we made this record and played it for friends and for the record company, they had no idea what we were doing; You could see on people's faces that look of being so unsure of what they were hearing. It was a little bit spooky to me, but...it's stood that test of time very well."

Robertson also lauds producer Bob Clearmountain's work in creating the 50th anniversary edition from what was rudimentary, raw material. "It was recorded on four tracks...in a way that couldn't be messed with a lot," he explains. "There's not a lot of variables in it. It wasn't like now, when you've got things on 50 tracks and can play with them a lot. But Bob did such a majestic job. I hear things that I never heard before -- and I know this record pretty well. He did something that took me deeper inside of the experience of the music, without messing with it, which I was I was really hoping for. It just sound better, and it surrounds you more."

Robertson expects there will be 50th anniversary editions of The Band's other albums -- "They'll be making me roll up my sleeves again," he cracks -- at the appropriate times, which he'll wedge into a busy schedule of other projects. He's writing a sequel to his 2016 memoir Testimony, which will pick up from The Band's dissolution after The Last Waltz in 1976. Robertson is also working on the score to Martin Scorsese's next film The Irishman, about controversial labor union leader Frank Sheeran, and he has a solo album that he predicts will come as a surprise to listeners.

"I'm not finished yet so it's a little hard to describe, but it is one of the most violent and sexy records that I've ever been part of," he says. "I've really done something this time, and I'm very excited about that."

[www.billboard.com]

Date: August 31, 2018 07:35

The whole remixed album is now on Spotify: Music From Big Pink (Deluxe Edition/Remixed 2018)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1487
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home