Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ever heard this before? (on Stones´ longevity)
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 27, 2018 16:41

"I think they should stop now". I`ve heard this said more than 10 years ago. What`s the motive for saying this? If you don`t wanna go, just stay home.

Re: Ever heard this before? (on Stones´ longevity)
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 27, 2018 17:21

Don't worry, billions of people stay at home and don't care at all about the Stones smileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-27 17:22 by powerage78.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 27, 2018 17:32

A lot of the animus about the Stones and their age really comes down to Mick's live performance.

People who aren't Stones fans just think it's bizarre to see a skinny white man prancing around and gyrating onstage in his 40s, 50s, 60s and now 70s.

However, when most people actually WATCH Mick without prejudice, they go from scoffing to amazement at how he's capable of doing what he does at his age.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 27, 2018 17:43

Some people think they are over the hill. That they should stop before they are making a parody of themselves. Or that they have nothing to offer anymore than playing their old hits over and over again.
Which of course is a valid point. Apparently The Rolling Stones do not seem to think so though.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: June 27, 2018 18:00

It´s just their way of living.They must go on.And i like it.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 27, 2018 19:47

Just like the proverbial Stone rolling so goes The Rolling Stones and the naysayers can stay home.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 27, 2018 20:26

Some people feel that they are damaging their artistic legacy (whatever that is) by continuing to perform live when they are past their best (whenever that was).

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: June 27, 2018 20:41

First time I saw the Stones was Buffalo '78. People were saying' it then...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 27, 2018 20:42

Their artistic legacy is unimpeachable and simply can't be diminished. their recording history up until 1981 is rock'n'roll legend.

And everything after? Their legacy of record-shattering stadium spectacle tours well into their 70s is just gravy on top.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: June 27, 2018 20:59

I heard this a lot too . I think it is great they are still around and just like noughties said "if you don't wanna go ,just stay home."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 27, 2018 21:01

They should never stop.

They're on a mission continually setting a new standard for the longevity of a rock and roll band as each year goes by.
Maybe they're not what they once were, but nobody is. To the Stones I say keep on rolling, and record a new album of originals while you're at it.thumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 27, 2018 21:04

I heard this one too : "Ha they still exist ? They still play " ? Same thing with AC/DC...grinning smiley
It's hard to love an old band...grinning smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 27, 2018 21:12

Stoneage
Some people think they are over the hill. That they should stop before they are making a parody of themselves. Or that they have nothing to offer anymore than playing their old hits over and over again.
Which of course is a valid point. Apparently The Rolling Stones do not seem to think so though.

I remember the NME accusing them of that in 1976..........(I just went to some shows and ended up thinking, the best party songs by the best and most practised band in the world on probably the best sound system money can buy.............yeah, it's a few quid more than I'd like to spend but it's unique experience which I don't regret indulging in...........

But of course, some may say the same about Bruce Springsteen............eye popping smiley ....so subjective.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 27, 2018 21:17

Personally, I find that much of what I hear on MANY subjects is just as well forgotten. This is no exception.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 28, 2018 00:21

ofcourse they should stop. and will stop. when the time is right, whenever that will be.

they are only human and one day they might not be able to continue.

life will go on without them as it does regarding everyone else.

and whatever happens, nothing will take away their fantastic achievements.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 28, 2018 01:12

Stoneage

Yes, I've heard people make that argument. The thing is, though, let's suppose all of that is true (for the sake of argument). What does it matter? They could be over the hill and halfway down the other side, but if they want to play and there are people who want to hear them it's totally irrelevant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home