Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: The Kinks are back!!!
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 29, 2018 21:15

The Kinks of yesteryears are over. However, I don’t think Ray would agree to
any reunion which would be an embarrassment to their legacy. My understanding
is they’re just considering a single album which is a long ways away from a
reunion tour. It will be interesting to see how much progress has been made a year from now - unfortunately I think I may know the answer.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 29, 2018 22:10

I don't know why Ray's bothering: his solo stuff is pretty great at the moment.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 30, 2018 02:16

There's a really good unofficial site maintained by Dave Emlen, called KindaKinks.net, which provides daily, up to the minute news on all things Kinks related.

The News & Rumors page for Wednesday, 27 June, has a quote that Dave Davies has posted on various social media: "Me and Ray have spoken about the possibility of us working on a new album. Ray has a few songs he wants to finish. I have 3 or 4 songs I’ve written with Ray. We’ve been talking about it for some time now. We haven’t discussed shows or anything else at the moment."

Note the word "possibility"...

[www.kindakinks.net]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2018 02:24

I hope for an album, and maybe a special one off show (or a short series of shows) in a beautiful old theater...or maybe somewhere like Royal Albert Hall, but anything beyond that seems a bit unrealistic.

Date: June 30, 2018 07:29

I hope they play far away from the U.K. where the fans expect too much. They're old farts and so what? I want to see them, and they NEVER ever never ever play anywhere on the West Coast. If they do, it's hit and miss. Most of us yanks never get a chance to see 'em unless we live in New England.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 1, 2018 21:20

charlesbaudelaire
I hope they play far away from the U.K. where the fans expect too much. They're old farts and so what? I want to see them, and they NEVER ever never ever play anywhere on the West Coast. If they do, it's hit and miss. Most of us yanks never get a chance to see 'em unless we live in New England.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

I think fans would be appreciative to see them return. If they planned this right, it could be great. Meaning, they should NOT be playing arenas. They arguably have that draw and for a band of their importance they should play arenas and or stadiums. But they just don't have that kind of energy anymore. They never really did. I always considered the Kinks the biggest underground band of all time. The bigger you make them, the worse they are.

What I think they need to do if this actually went through is keep it small. Be understated and it'd be harder to disappoint. Don't come back trying to give a "rock show" akin to the Stones. Play a theater, with little promo (people will show regardless and it'll sell out fast) and just "be" on stage. They're old guys that haven't played together in awhile and would be out of their comfort zone on a big stage. Come out, Ray (and Dave) can speak and talk about their songs and just played relaxed. Maybe just acoustically, throw in some electric guitar where you see fit. Maybe not even have a band, maybe just have Ray, Dave and Mick.

I think thats your best bet for success. The audience is on your side already. I think if you keep energy low, and then there are some bursts of it, that'll shock, surprise and thrill everyone as opposed to trying to come right out of the gate hot. Make it a Storytellers esque kind of show, celebrate the legacy. You do that and I don't think it'll be embarrassing. I think it'll move people to tears to finally see these guys back up on stage, enjoying each other's company, just playing those great songs again in a relaxed atmosphere.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 2, 2018 02:51

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 2 July 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 2, 2018 04:13

Thanks, Rockman. Very nice.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 2, 2018 20:08

charlesbaudelaire

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

What are you talking about?

I've seen the Kinks many times in LA.
I've seen Ray Davies at least 5 times in the past 12 or 15 years.
Dave has played here a couple times in the past few years.

Date: July 3, 2018 04:15

I guess I was never in the right place at the right time to see either of them. Of course I don't live near L.A. do that doesn't help. It would have been cool if they would have played some of the second-tier markets like Monterey or Sacramento. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose. I guess they go to the big huge cities because they figure that's where more people will see them. I think loads of people will see them no matter they play in California.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: July 3, 2018 04:58

Dave has played the Uptown Theatre in Napa at least twice in recent years, including this year. Ray tends to play clubs in San Francisco every two or three years. So, they have played in Northern California.

Date: July 3, 2018 18:37

erad
stonehearted
erad
stonehearted
I need Millennials like I need cancer.

Kindly take your opinion of people belonging to my generation and shove it up your arse.

Hey, it was your generational contemporary who started it by attacking my initial post in this thread.

To me it was major news, word of the Kinks reuniting, but this Bast-ard-ion attacks my post with this "Enter the 21st century" mentality -- here of all places, a board devoted to a band mainly of interest to people 50 and up.

That's the trouble with you Millennials, and all your Twitter/anti-social media attitude toward life. You think the whole world should be all about YOU. You think that you've ARRIVED.

But time will just wash you all away, and you won't even have a Rolling Stones -- or a Kinks -- to celebrate life with 50 years from now.

You'll all destroy each other in a bullying Twitter shit-storm, accompanied with a slew of cell phone videos that go bacterial.

You are the children of Orwell.

And.

I.

Don't.

Need.

YOU.

Wow.

You've assumed so much about me from one measly forum post. FYI I don't even have a twitter or instagram account, and only use facebook as a means to talk to friends and hear about gigs and other events. I also can't stand it that people seem to want to film and document every little thing nowadays, and that they cant't just seem to live in the moment at a concert and would instead prefer to watch it through a cellphone screen. Although, this isn't limited to just my generation I see it from boomers all the time as well.

Am I not allowed to like the Stones or their contemporaries simply because I was born in 1990? All of this shit coming from older generations about millenials being entitled is complete rubbish. Student loan debts are insanely high, in most countries it is impossible for someone my age to buy a house without help from family. In contrast baby boomers received free university tuition (at least where I'm from) and housing was much, much cheaper. You can also bet your bottom dollar that by the time I'm 65 I won't receive any form of superannuation because it would have all been spent on the boomers by then. Here in NZ for example, super isn't even means tested.

As for music, I will still be listening to the Stones in 50 years, even though they won't be around. There's also plenty of good music coming out in the present, you just have to find it. Pretty low brow stuff to be honest mate, 'I'm better than you because I'm old and the Stones are still around'.

don't worry about those old coots! they are just mad because they are old, cant hang anymore and are just bitter! You go erad! the world belongs to you now. Their time is up....

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 14, 2018 21:10

There’s an Instagram post from the he Kinks’ account inviting fans to tune into the BBC tomorrow morning for something special. Hmmm.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 14, 2018 21:16

It's likely the 50th Anniversary box set of VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 14, 2018 22:58

I think so too. Over the past few weeks they have posted several pictures referring to 1968 on facebook. Village Green Preservation Society is from that year. Also Ray Davies announced that a new edition with bonus tracks would come out later this year.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: August 15, 2018 15:56

I got notificatoon from Unovrrsal this morning - 5cd set with at least one unreleased song. Compiled by Andrew Sandoval who says it his best project yet.

Date: August 15, 2018 16:04

SomeGuy
I think so too. Over the past few weeks they have posted several pictures referring to 1968 on facebook. Village Green Preservation Society is from that year. Also Ray Davies announced that a new edition with bonus tracks would come out later this year.

The last one, with bonus tracks, had only 62 songs on it. I guess it's about time to expand it smiling smiley

Seriously, this is my fave Kinks–album, so I'm excited about this anyhow.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 15, 2018 16:18

Time Song: [youtu.be]

Date: August 15, 2018 16:30

Beautiful! thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 15, 2018 16:41

Mark that as a good'un! Thank you Cristiano.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 15, 2018 17:08

Really good'un.. cool smiley
Thanks!

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: August 16, 2018 03:31

[bestclassicbands.com] for tracklisting of the new Village Green 5CD set

Date: August 16, 2018 04:22

Great song. Thanks for posting it. I hope that I don't run out of time before Ray and Dave decide to do another live show near me.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 16, 2018 04:30

i love The Kinks; I just love them.
i don't know what to expect at this point.
I really liked Americana, Ray's solo LP last year and got a LOT of mileage out of that one; real good band he brought from America to Konk for that one imo.

so Kinks LP will have Ray songs; even if there's a good one, hopefully,
from Dave, who to me, seems truly lost withou Ray; I am an old original fan
who still has affection for Pete (RIP) who quit sometime after Lola Vs. Powerman and The Money-go-Round....
Dave was ridiculosly good imo; wow; their catalog STUNS me,
nothing they ever do great or horrid will erase a masterful and truly precious
catalog that is really unique. For me, The Kinks have Always been One of the
very few premire bands I've loved from first release, and then for serious DECADES,
without disappointment; they are so precious to me, It will be great to hear Mick on drums. Who is playing bass?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2018 06:29

Cristiano Radtke

Oh yes, nice - thanks Cristiano.
Something very unique about Ray's songwriting, and this song is no exception.
There's a nursery rhyme like quality to this tune, yet it's lyrically poignant at the same time.
Reminds me of some of the lyrics Roger Waters wrote for the Pink Floyd track Time.

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun..."

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 16, 2018 11:26

There's a massive Village Green Preservation box out in October; seriously looking forward to that.

Posted by: rara ()
Date: August 16, 2018 11:40

Link to the box: [www.musicglue.com]

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 16, 2018 12:00

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke

Oh yes, nice - thanks Cristiano.
Something very unique about Ray's songwriting, and this song is no exception.
There's a nursery rhyme like quality to this tune, yet it's lyrically poignant at the same time.
Reminds me of some of the lyrics Roger Waters wrote for the Pink Floyd track Time.

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun..."

Nice song, thanks for posting. Heavy irony in the timing as it was first performed to celebrate UK joining the common market in 1973.

And you're right about the Floyd similarities: "hanging on on quiet desperation is the English way".

I think I'll pass on the new box though. Superb album but I have a fairly recent 3CD set (Stereo, Mono and extras). If I ever saw a nice old vinyl copy I might pick it up though.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 17, 2018 23:04

From BBC's Chris Evans Breakfast Show:

Will The Kinks reform? "It's a yes from me!" says Ray Davies

Ray on the 50th anniversary of The Kinks and the re-release of The Village Green Preservation Society.

15 August 2018

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 18, 2018 01:04

When Ray talks about a Kinks reunion while not promoting a solo project or a new Kinks reissue, I'll perk up. Until then, it's just what Ray does to get a headline. I don't blame him, but I've stopped believing it might happen.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2075
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home