Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: The Kinks are back!!!
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 26, 2018 20:17

Ray Davies Says the Kinks Are Reuniting
They are working on their first album in 25 years, according to a new interview

In a new interview with Channel 4 News, Ray Davies announced that the Kinks are reuniting. After receiving a phone call from drummer Mick Avory during the conversation, Davies says that the band are “making a new album, inspired by the Rolling Stones.” “We’re talking about it because I got all these songs that I wrote for them,” he says. “I think it’s kind of an appropriate time to do it.” When the interviewer asks to confirm that the group is reuniting, Davies responds: “Officially we are, yes... In the pub later on.”

Davies goes on to discuss the historically contentious relationship between bandmates Mick Avory and his brother Dave Davies, who he says will both be involved with the reunion. He adds, “I’ve got some great Kinks tunes in my head.” Check out the interview below.

The Kinks gave their final performance in 1996. Their last studio album, Phobia, arrived in 1993. Last year, Ray Davies released the solo album Americana.

[pitchfork.com]

Re: OT: The Kinks are back!!!
Date: June 26, 2018 20:25

I'll believe it when I see it smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2018 20:56

Davies says that the band are “making a new album, inspired by the Rolling Stones.”

Hopefully the recording process isn't inspired by the Rolling Stones - might be waiting another decade.

Whatever the case, this is great news!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 26, 2018 21:18

Hairball
Davies says that the band are “making a new album, inspired by the Rolling Stones.”

Hopefully the recording process isn't inspired by the Rolling Stones - might be waiting another decade.
LOL! grinning smiley

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 26, 2018 21:24

At least they're hanging out. Who knows if it will happen or it will be anything decent. They've both released okay music in the past few years, if not particularly great music. It could work.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 26, 2018 21:27

Ray has already admitted that this is a joke. He knows full well that he's been making the same "Kinks are getting back together" remarks for the last 20 years, usually whenever he's got a new solo project to promote. This is again the case, except that now even Ray has the ability to call himself out on his own bull shit.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-26 21:32 by tatters.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 26, 2018 21:30

I saw Dave Davies earlier this year. One of the most disappointing shows in a long while.

Date: June 26, 2018 21:52

Hairball

Whatever the case, this is great news!

It would be cool if they are making a blues album, like he's hinting smoking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 26, 2018 21:53

A major event like the Kinks reuniting, and the source is "pitchfork.com"?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 26, 2018 22:28

stonehearted

The Kinks “reuniting” is not a major event.

Enter the 21st century and listen to 30 albums released this year, I dare you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-26 23:39 by Bastion.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 26, 2018 22:34

stonehearted

Pitchfork cites Channel 4 News as the source.

The interview - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 26, 2018 22:42

Maybe Ray is drumming up attention to his new album coming out this Friday......

Date: June 26, 2018 23:48

Bastion
stonehearted

Dear Millennial:

I've been a Kinks fan since 1981.

To anyone my age or older, new Kinks would be major news.

You can keep your Twenty-Worst Century and the cesspool your generation makes of it.

Get stuffed, Millennial!

Date: June 27, 2018 00:24

stonehearted
Bastion
stonehearted

Dear Millennial:

You can keep your Twenty-Worst Century and the cesspool your generation makes of it.

Get stuffed, Millennial!

Don't really think it's necessary to pull the whole "millennial" thing. I don't get the prejudice against the younger generation.

Date: June 27, 2018 00:31

i've heard this before

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 27, 2018 00:38

stonehearted
Bastion
stonehearted

Dear Millennial:

Get stuffed, Millennial!

You keep all your smart modern writers
Give me William Shakespeare
You keep all your smart modern painters
I'll take Rembrandt, Titian, Da Vinci and Gainsborough,

Date: June 27, 2018 01:08

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
Don't really think it's necessary to pull the whole "millennial" thing. I don't get the prejudice against the younger generation.

Then you don't get life.

I need Millennials like I need cancer.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 27, 2018 01:55

stonehearted
NeverMakeASaintOfMe

Then you don't get life.

Kindly take your opinion of people belonging to my generation and shove it up your arse.

Date: June 27, 2018 02:03

erad
stonehearted
NeverMakeASaintOfMe

Then you don't get life.

Kindly take your opinion of people belonging to my generation and shove it up your arse.

Good to see some millenials that have some guts proving that not all of them are sissies. winking smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 27, 2018 02:26

Yes, the Kinks are irrelevant, silly us. Given Dave's shaky status I doubt the Kinks would be as formidable as the Stones but a reunion tour would be most welcome. Maybe a tour with Paul and Ringo! (Cue the Beatles troll..)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 27, 2018 02:38

Its the news I've been waiting to hear for 20 years!

Unfortunately, I do feel its a whole lot about nothing. It really is just too late I think, and they have run this scam before, although maybe not this "officially".

But hey, I really hope it is true and would love to hear new stuff from them and see a tour! Admittedly I'd rather wait until they have dates or an actual album and then its really real but hey, I'll settle for this and wish them the best of luck. So many of us love the Kinks and think they got a raw deal. I would love to see them come back for one last time, even if I think it might be a bit past its expiration date.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 27, 2018 02:45

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 27, 2018 02:49

daspyknows
I saw Dave Davies earlier this year. One of the most disappointing shows in a long while.

I saw Dave a few years ago. Embarrassing. He clearly loves being in front of an audience, but he's awful these days.

I own every Kinks album and saw them a bunch of times between 78 and 93. Their best work (65 to 71) is among the best rock music ever made. While I'd see them again out of respect for the back catalog, my expectations would look up to see the sewer.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 27, 2018 02:52

Well my first thought: this is good news. After giving it some more thought:
Ray having written songs for the Rolling Stones seems odd - not impossible but
just odd. Reality is if Ray and Dave can bill themselves as the Kinks they will
sell many more tickets than their solo shows - maybe this is how the Rolling Stones inspired Ray?

Date: June 27, 2018 02:57

erad
stonehearted

Hey, it was your generational contemporary who started it by attacking my initial post in this thread.

To me it was major news, word of the Kinks reuniting, but this Bast-ard-ion attacks my post with this "Enter the 21st century" mentality -- here of all places, a board devoted to a band mainly of interest to people 50 and up.

That's the trouble with you Millennials, and all your Twitter/anti-social media attitude toward life. You think the whole world should be all about YOU. You think that you've ARRIVED.

But time will just wash you all away, and you won't even have a Rolling Stones -- or a Kinks -- to celebrate life with 50 years from now.

You'll all destroy each other in a bullying Twitter shit-storm, accompanied with a slew of cell phone videos that go bacterial.

You are the children of Orwell.

And.

I.

Don't.

Need.

YOU.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 27, 2018 03:07

ab
daspyknows

I saw Dave a few years ago. Embarrassing. He clearly loves being in front of an audience, but he's awful these days.

I own every Kinks album and saw them a bunch of times between 78 and 93. Their best work (65 to 71) is among the best rock music ever made. While I'd see them again out of respect for the back catalog, my expectations would look up to see the sewer.

Ray has given some poor shows, as well. I stopped seeing him solo after a particularly bad performance a few years ago. He's one of those guys who resorts to shouty talk-singing if his voice is having a bad night. I have only seen Dave solo a few years before his stroke. He was good back then, but videos after his medical problems are pretty mixed. He isn't bad on ballads like "Strangers," but the faster rock numbers or anything with high notes, forget about it. I'd have to think recording may be the only thing they can do successfully. If they attempted a tour, they'd have to add some personnel to cover for Dave's vocal problems. I'm not sure what can be done about Ray, other than to pace a tour where is voice isn't as taxed.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 27, 2018 04:02

stonehearted
erad
stonehearted

Hey, it was your generational contemporary who started it by attacking my initial post in this thread.

To me it was major news, word of the Kinks reuniting, but this Bast-ard-ion attacks my post with this "Enter the 21st century" mentality -- here of all places, a board devoted to a band mainly of interest to people 50 and up.

That's the trouble with you Millennials, and all your Twitter/anti-social media attitude toward life. You think the whole world should be all about YOU. You think that you've ARRIVED.

But time will just wash you all away, and you won't even have a Rolling Stones -- or a Kinks -- to celebrate life with 50 years from now.

You'll all destroy each other in a bullying Twitter shit-storm, accompanied with a slew of cell phone videos that go bacterial.

You are the children of Orwell.

And.

I.

Don't.

Need.

YOU.

Wow.

You've assumed so much about me from one measly forum post. FYI I don't even have a twitter or instagram account, and only use facebook as a means to talk to friends and hear about gigs and other events. I also can't stand it that people seem to want to film and document every little thing nowadays, and that they cant't just seem to live in the moment at a concert and would instead prefer to watch it through a cellphone screen. Although, this isn't limited to just my generation I see it from boomers all the time as well.

Am I not allowed to like the Stones or their contemporaries simply because I was born in 1990? All of this shit coming from older generations about millenials being entitled is complete rubbish. Student loan debts are insanely high, in most countries it is impossible for someone my age to buy a house without help from family. In contrast baby boomers received free university tuition (at least where I'm from) and housing was much, much cheaper. You can also bet your bottom dollar that by the time I'm 65 I won't receive any form of superannuation because it would have all been spent on the boomers by then. Here in NZ for example, super isn't even means tested.

As for music, I will still be listening to the Stones in 50 years, even though they won't be around. There's also plenty of good music coming out in the present, you just have to find it. Pretty low brow stuff to be honest mate, 'I'm better than you because I'm old and the Stones are still around'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-27 04:04 by erad.

Date: June 27, 2018 04:46

erad
I will still be listening to the Stones in 50 years, even though they won't be around.

You make a good point there erad - you'll still be enjoying the Stones' music in 50 years, while most all of us already over 50 year old farts will be dead and gone.

Date: June 27, 2018 04:52

erad
Wow.

You've assumed so much about me from one measly forum post.

I didn't assume anything about you -- I don't even know you. I wasn't even talking to you.

It was that Bast-ard-ion who started it, telling me I should be listening to the 30 albums released this year instead of the Kinks.

erad
FYI I don't even have a twitter or instagram account, and only use facebook as a means to talk to friends and hear about gigs and other events. I also can't stand it that people seem to want to film and document every little thing nowadays, and that they cant't just seem to live in the moment at a concert and would instead prefer to watch it through a cellphone screen. Although, this isn't limited to just my generation I see it from boomers all the time as well.

I'm pleased to know that, perhaps there's hope yet -- or, maybe you're just an "old" soul. smoking smiley

erad
Am I not allowed to like the Stones or their contemporaries simply because I was born in 1990? All of this shit coming from older generations about millenials being entitled is complete rubbish.

Tell that to Bast-ard-ion who posted above, putting down my excitement over the prospect of a Kinks reunion.

erad
Student loan debts are insanely high, in most countries it is impossible for someone my age to buy a house without help from family. In contrast baby boomers received free university tuition (at least where I'm from) and housing was much, much cheaper. You can also bet your bottom dollar that by the time I'm 65 I won't receive any form of superannuation because it would have all been spent on the boomers by then. Here in NZ for example, super isn't even means tested.

That trend has been rolling like a runaway train since the 1980s -- it's the result of massive corporate deregulation. I went to college in the 80s, so I've witnessed the economic decline from the beginning.

erad
As for music, I will still be listening to the Stones in 50 years, even though they won't be around. There's also plenty of good music coming out in the present, you just have to find it. Pretty low brow stuff to be honest mate, 'I'm better than you because I'm old and the Stones are still around'.

Again, I was reacting to the snarky post by Bast-ard-ion above.

I was born in 1966. I was young once, too -- but that doesn't seem to matter now.

It's just that I get really pissed when some snarky kid tries to tell me what I should be listening to.

After more than a half century on earth, I know what I like.

I suppose you seem alright, so I'll just close out with a cyber-handshake.

There are people of all ages to like or dislike.

Enjoy your Stones and Kinks et al.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 27, 2018 05:01

To me, a Kinks reunion would be something of a major event, if it were true, which I doubt it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-27 05:22 by SomeGuy.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home