Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: Marseille France 26-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 27, 2018 15:51

Oh I would have love to have been there for Fool To Cry! I think I might well have been crying, like ... a fool.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 27, 2018 15:58

Great time last night (largely thanks to Ben who got me into my first Pit ever, I thank my LuckyDippingStars!)...Great show, and it's a whole different ballgame when you're up close. Ron Wood rules, simple as that!

My only regret is that the show started so late, I would have enjoyed a few more after-show pints at the Vieux Port pubs... My first time in Marseille, amazed at all of the rats running around (and my street's sidewalk also featured a small army of cockroaches, a true adventure!)

At one point, Jagger joked "we haven't been to Marseille in 15 years, don't worry, we still play the same songs!"

My 2nd show on this tour and my second Fool to Cry.

Looking forward to Stuttgart ;-)

Posted by: flottmann1 ()
Date: June 27, 2018 16:11

Setlist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 21:19 by bv.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 27, 2018 16:11

In the train back...couple of Stones fans in the Ouigo it seems. Listening to my stealthy recording, not bad, quite a bit of crowd noise, including some shouting from IORRians! Song vote now...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-27 16:12 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 27, 2018 16:32

gotdablouse
In the train back...couple of Stones fans in the Ouigo it seems. Listening to my stealthy recording, not bad, quite a bit of crowd noise, including some shouting from IORRians! Song vote now...

Argh...I'm in a Paris-bound TGV right now (departed at 12h54). No Stones fans in this car, just a screaming baby!

Spotted a few Stones fans at the train station though (including one fellow who was rocking a "No snow, No show" shirt in pit last night lol

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 27, 2018 16:53

FrogSugar
gotdablouse

Argh...I'm in a Paris-bound TGV right now (departed at 12h54). No Stones fans in this car, just a screaming baby!

Spotted a few Stones fans at the train station though (including one fellow who was rocking a "No snow, No show" shirt in pit last night lol

Well I am on the TGV 6068 leaving Marseille St Charles at 12:56 (they blew the whistle at :54 and it left at :55 to my surprise) so there are more Stones fans on this train, I have seen several except for me. I will be ongoing to Strasbourg so this will be a long travel day, but at the end of the day I am very close to Stuttgart, and still in France. TGV is great, I have lots of space and I can do my work here, even on a tourist class seat at 290 km/h speed, a bit shaking but no worries.

Bjornulf

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 27, 2018 17:00

[www.parismatch.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 27, 2018 17:21

flottmann1
Setlist

Just to say that this is NOT the band's official setlist photo but my photo of it ;-)

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 27, 2018 17:29

"I wanted to play drums because I fell in love with the glitter and the lights, but it wasn't about adulation. It was being up there playing."
-- Charlie Watts

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 27, 2018 17:32

The Joker
35love
(LOBS article translate)

Already the debrief ": the Rolling Stones at the Vélodrome de Marseille, solid like rock

It's been fifteen years since we came here to play. But do not worry, it's always the same songs. "Mick Jagger did not lack humor on Tuesday night, at the Stade Vélodrome in Marseille for the monster concert of the Rolling Stones.It must be said that if the production of the group superstar preferred the Phocean City in Lyon for the only French concert of this extension of the "No Filter Tour", it is not the result of chance.
It's already been several years, and especially since MP-2013, that the cultural wind blows in the sails of the southern city. Above all, since 2016 and a naming contract, the arena of Olympic players has seen its capacity boosted to 67,000 seats. Having become second national stadium, the Orange Velodrome can now attract as much the inhabitants of the Mediterranean basin, as the Italians and the Spaniards, shunned of this tour.

But what makes the Stones roll again?
If you have fun counting the ages of the leader Mick Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood as well as metronome Charlie Watts, the friends accumulate on stage not less than 295 years. Add to that the 55-year career in his trunk, and the bolide Stones is a case study in terms of longevity.
"The Rolling Stones are immortal, just listen to their many hits that speak to all generations, and then it's a moment of sharing with my dad, 59, for whom this band is iconic. pretext to find us in concert ", explains Sophie, 20 years old.
And some great music, there was that evening at the Vélodrome, first with the introduction "Street fighting man" quickly followed by "Paint it black", "Start me up", "Miss you" or "Gimme Shelter". And even when the majority of titles was slowed by 10 BPM, to allow Keith Richards, lacking dexterity in recent years, not to be too confused on his Fender Telecaster 50's.
At the end of the grandiose show and the rhythmic pyrotechnics of "Satisfaction", the quartet salutes the hypnotized Marseille audience one last time. Behind him, four gigantic screens are adorned with the mythical language of the group, accompanied by the message "See you soon". Really ?

Could you post a link to the original, French article? Tks
[www.nouvelobs.com]
*P.S.
Feel free to run the French words thru an online translator and repost here, too,
thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-27 17:33 by 35love.

Rolling Stones- Marseille France 26-June-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 27, 2018 17:52

Photo BORIS HORVAT / AFP:

Rolling Stones- Marseille France 26-June-2018
Date: June 27, 2018 17:54

Photo © Maxppp:

Rolling Stones - Marseille France 26-June-2018
Date: June 27, 2018 17:55

Photo REUTERS/Jean-Paul Pélissier:

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 27, 2018 18:03

[www.parismatch.com]

Paris Match attended the exceptional concert of the legendary Rolling Stones in Marseille.
The legendary riff sounds, powerful lights, screams of the crowd, the joy explodes, Keith tumbles first, Mick follows him, "Street fighting man" opens the ball of the devil at the Velodrome at almost 22 hours. Its dry, strong. Images of angry mobs are projected onto four giant screens arranged in columns. This song, written in 1968, marked a rare "political" incursion by the Jagger-Richards duo, and they attempted to describe the social violence of the time. 50 years later, the ideals of May seem hardly valiant, counter culture has become gentrified and our friends the Stones? They are the last fighters. Watching them wander on stage under the cheers of 60,000 fans has something surreal, moving. They fight against time and win.

Mick gesticulates, warms up on a draft "It's only rock and roll". He who owns two residences in France speaks perfectly our language lance mockery a "Here it is France, here it is Provence, here it is Marseille" and continues with the superb "Tumbling dice". A song that has a share of Frenchness since it was recorded in the basement of Keith's villa in Villefranche-sur-mer in 1971. He smiles, saves his steps, he seems so happy to scratch his guitar with his friends from childhood to almost 75 years old.

There is no artifice, inflatable dolls, pyrotechnic gadgets, the emaciated faces in close-up of Ron, Mick, Charlie and Keith serve as decorations. Mick sings wide-eyed, he moves on stage like a spaghetti around a fork, he takes off his gaudy, mauve, blue shirts, he is skinny as a malnourished and ironic teenager as usual. Nice Mike thanks the Glorious Sounds for their first part, an invigorating rock rock. After a "Get off my cloud" chosen by the public on the internet, he chuckles, "it's been 15 years since we did not come here, do not worry, it's still the same songs."
With the Stones, no surprise, they do not interpret an obscure face b of a forgotten disc, tube, tube, tube, that's the philosophy of pebbles that have been rolling for 56 years now. After a "You can not always get what you want" that makes the audience sing a little, the band ends up warming up with an excellent interpretation of "Pain it black". Ron Wood pretends he's holding a sitar in his hands, the bleachers scream with pleasure. Brian Jones had helped to compose this black anthem, which forced Mick and Keith away from the blues, to mix influences, he left the world in 1969, after being excluded from the barnum Stones by the "flamboyant twins" . "Honky tonk woman" is played, cheerful, Mick short, dance, ageless. He speaks to the crowd, says, "We spent the afternoon in a bistro on the old port and watched the draw of France. We drank pastis and ate packs. Delicious ". With his body so dry, to imagine devouring the cochonnaille seems unlikely, but hey ... Another delicious moment, Mick presents the musicians, always the same if they are not dead as the saxophonist Bobby Keyes, or parties as the chorister Liza Fisher. Ron Wood? "The Zidane of the guitar". Charlie Watts? "The Barthez of the battery". And Keith Richards comes to interpret his two ritual songs, grinning smile, sincere emotion as soon as he looks at the crowd, he begins with a poignant "You got the silver". The voice is derailing at times, and so ...

This ballad tells the crazy love he felt for his companion Anita Pallenberg, the mother of her two eldest. The so sublime muse died last year, after so much excess and abuse. Is not Keith Richards who wants ... It gives way to the return of Mick for the immutable "Sympathy for the devil" of good quality, no frills, but announcing a quarter of an hour crazy. A second part more energetic. At the first notes of "Miss you", disco anthem of 1977, people go crazy like crazy. The sound rises, rises, becomes very, too strong, it is a miracle that our old stones are not deaf. "Midnight rambler" powerful, long, with effect of light, then "Start me up", the last tube of these gentlemen released in 1981. Jagger is mounted on springs, we observe this little valiant little ludion, how does it work? , run, sing? The energy that a worshiping crowd sends back must transcend it but what an exploit ...

Date: June 27, 2018 18:04

powerage78
[www.parismatch.com]

That's a good one, well written and thought out, unlike the brief crap on the Nouvel Obs...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TheBlackRose ()
Date: June 27, 2018 18:07

For more images from Marseille visit This Page

Date: June 27, 2018 18:14

Not sure if the scanners temporarily broke down at Gate 5 but when we finally made it there around 7:20 they were NOT working so you just showed your e-ticket printout and they tore off the bar code and gave a wrist band for Pit B, not sure what they did for GC? Of course that means that if you'd printed several e-tickets for some reason you could probably have given one to a friend in GC like many did at Paris I...

Another side note there were tons of people selling tickets outside, including some who had printed A4 ads with all the details! There were certainly bargains to be made for local fans.

--------------

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: June 27, 2018 20:06

Marseille was a great show. However after attending Twickenham gig a week earlier, we can say Twickenham show was greater: performance, sound, riff, solo, audience, venue,...

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: June 27, 2018 20:17

Some pictures from the tribune.
Too far for close-ups.

Posted by: samakira ()
Date: June 27, 2018 21:00

No official picture of the setlist?

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: June 27, 2018 22:06

Here are some of our Pics from the show.

There are on ROCKERPARIS

Date: June 27, 2018 23:59

I loved the show last night, the Stones seem to really dig playing the South of France. The late start, the warm air, the enthusiastic audience largely in shorts and t shirts, the vibe is right for a concert with a party atmosphere.
For me, experiencing ‘Fool To Cry’ for the second time on this tour was exquisite and Mick really hit those falsetto notes. I am sure his black and blue attire for that song was no coincidence! Superb, powerful guitar chords from Keith and Ronnie cut through the warm air. There was a party atmosphere on stage also.
Did I imagine Mick’s introduction “and now on the ‘bouillabaisse’ Daryl Jones”!?

Back in London and reflecting over another wonderful Stones experience, so many familiar faces, funny stories, great music and Mediterranean sunshine.

I guess I’m just your fool to cry......

Date: June 28, 2018 00:49

Goo catch for Darryl, had missed it last night but after listening to my recording (which I'll be sharing ASAP of course) I can confirm he said "On the Bouillabaisse" !

Here's another video of last night, the end of Satisfaction with the final bows, hope there are the last notes they ever play in France...[youtu.be]

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 00:50 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 28, 2018 01:24

gotdablouse
@The Worst - sounds bad, at what time was that? At 7:20 when we finally made our way down the steps behind the stage it was pretty mellow. The front of GC was packed and I was worried it was Pit B but fortunately there was a secret passage ;-)

Maybe 15' later there was a bit of a panic among the security guys so that's maybe when the crush occurred.

Talking of security they had to enter Pit B at the end when a dude drunk out of his mind was pushing people. They told him to stop from the front but he laughed at them so they made their way around, a first guy arrived, he refused to follow him, bad idea! He even thought back until too other guys arrived and he was carried away, sad...

During the beginning of the opening set, I would say between 20.45 and 21.00.

Date: June 28, 2018 03:07

ok, that could actually be when we saw some security guys rush to action...

I've posted my recording of last night [iorr.org] - Enjoy !

--------------

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: June 28, 2018 14:39

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: June 28, 2018 15:25

Nice one from Twitter :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 15:31 by arizojp.

Date: June 28, 2018 16:44

Wow, great pic ! Is it the lights or were there empty areas in GC when the pic was taken ?

--------------

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 28, 2018 16:54

Great pictures.

And the European stadiums look so much cooler (better designed) than their American counterparts.

Date: June 28, 2018 17:13

A pretty powerful GS : [www.youtube.com]

--------------

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1398
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home