Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Johnny Depp Rolling Stone Interview (update about Keith's documentary)
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 23, 2018 00:54

keithsman
Jeez we are all guilty of that Rocky, most of us are still seeing the Stones live because we can't get over how good they were between 67' to 74' about 90% of live shows rest heavenly on the past.
Lets be honest, creatively , music, film and comedy will never be what it was, not in this mainstream must make maximum profit environment, on top of that the political correctness restricts comedy subject matter immensely on all levels.

When i think of films like One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, that film wouldn't have a chance to be made today for cinema release, films now have to have maximum appeal, that incredible film was about a man in a mental hospital, but is was so much more than that, it showed you can't beat the system, it's all a game and it's rigged was the message.
I find myself going over old episodes of Fawlty Towers for laughs, those comedy series would never be aired today, far too politically incorrect.

Nothing wrong with Johnny Depp loving and hankering for the past, i don't watch TV, refuse to buy a licence, haven't for years on principle, all these 24 hour news channels, so depressing, indoctrinating mind control at it's worse.

We're on the same side, Keithsman. My point was the exploitative journalist seems a fair bit more worse to me than the rather sad figure of Johnny Depp apparently circling the abyss. I hope he bounces back, cleans up, and gets on his feet.

As for political correctness, growing up in the same era as you, I resented censorship of music and film and books. I had zero interest in Salman Rushdie, but I knew which side I stood on when it came to THE SATANIC VERSES. I never would have dreamed Western Liberalism, with all its desire for freedom of expression, would fall prey to being bluenoses from a different direction. I watched it turn 180 degrees from church ladies and moral majority and mothers against music for young people (maybe Tipper Gore should have "tipped" me off) to watching people that fight for tolerance and an end to bigotry turning around and neutering comedy unless it is lowest common denominator and fighting for greater censorship than my parents' generation ever knew (and they grew up during WWII).

Anyway, as Ray Davies said, "It gets worse the older that you get."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 23, 2018 01:30

You go to any ‘No Filter 2’ Rockman?

More than anything I wanted a new Stones album …..

But No Filter ..... no 35 ….. I pulled back but who knows theres still a chance

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 23, 2018 01:58

Rocky Dijon
keithsman
Jeez we are all guilty of that Rocky, most of us are still seeing the Stones live because we can't get over how good they were between 67' to 74' about 90% of live shows rest heavenly on the past.
Lets be honest, creatively , music, film and comedy will never be what it was, not in this mainstream must make maximum profit environment, on top of that the political correctness restricts comedy subject matter immensely on all levels.

When i think of films like One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, that film wouldn't have a chance to be made today for cinema release, films now have to have maximum appeal, that incredible film was about a man in a mental hospital, but is was so much more than that, it showed you can't beat the system, it's all a game and it's rigged was the message.
I find myself going over old episodes of Fawlty Towers for laughs, those comedy series would never be aired today, far too politically incorrect.

Nothing wrong with Johnny Depp loving and hankering for the past, i don't watch TV, refuse to buy a licence, haven't for years on principle, all these 24 hour news channels, so depressing, indoctrinating mind control at it's worse.

We're on the same side, Keithsman. My point was the exploitative journalist seems a fair bit more worse to me than the rather sad figure of Johnny Depp apparently circling the abyss. I hope he bounces back, cleans up, and gets on his feet.

As for political correctness, growing up in the same era as you, I resented censorship of music and film and books. I had zero interest in Salman Rushdie, but I knew which side I stood on when it came to THE SATANIC VERSES. I never would have dreamed Western Liberalism, with all its desire for freedom of expression, would fall prey to being bluenoses from a different direction. I watched it turn 180 degrees from church ladies and moral majority and mothers against music for young people (maybe Tipper Gore should have "tipped" me off) to watching people that fight for tolerance and an end to bigotry turning around and neutering comedy unless it is lowest common denominator and fighting for greater censorship than my parents' generation ever knew (and they grew up during WWII).

I hear you Rocky, definitely on the same side, and i didn't mean to sound annoyed with you for saying Johnny was living in the past, i realize you were reflecting the view of the Rolling Stone journalist.
Not to get too political but yes i agree with all the above, Ronald Reagan once said if fascism ever raises its ugly head again it will come in the name of liberalism, and that's whats beginning to happen in the western world today.

Back to Depp, i'm not sure he is an alcoholic, that's rather like saying Keith is an alcoholic, they are both looking good on it if you ask me, Depp is the wrong side of 50 and doesn't have a line on his face, Keith is almost 75 and still performing two hour stadium Rock. Rather they are drinkers who at bad times in life turn to the booze more than usual.
According to many Americans you're an alcoholic if you go out on a Saturday night and sink 6 beers. That's nats piss to the average Brit on the piss winking smiley
Its part of our culture, stems from ridiculous licensing laws from when we were in our teens and 20's, we used to get as many beers in as possible before last orders at 11. It causes binge drinking, i'm happy to say i don't drink these days, realized i'm not Keith Richards, finally grew up, don't think even Keith Richards is Keith Richards these days.winking smiley
Who is that agreeable cheerful old man up their on stage playing Keith's guitars. he looks like him but he certainly don't move like him.

Date: June 23, 2018 02:11

Watchin Johnny interviews over the last few years I often
find meself asking … Will The Real Johnny Please Stand-Up....

A million scarves.... 50 rings on each hand …..belts ...skulls ... the drawl

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 23, 2018 02:30

Rockman
You go to any ‘No Filter 2’ Rockman?

More than anything I wanted a new Stones album …..

But No Filter ..... no 35 ….. I pulled back but who knows theres still a chance

We’ll always have Paris...

Date: June 23, 2018 02:35

Rockman
Watchin Johnny interviews over the last few years I often
find meself asking … Will The Real Johnny Please Stand-Up....

A million scarves.... 50 rings on each hand …..belts ...skulls ... the drawl

That reminds me of a well known guitarist in the Stones.

Date: June 23, 2018 02:39

Yeah …. funny that aint it …..maybe that's why Keef distanced himself

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 23, 2018 03:56

keithsman
Rocky Dijon
keithsman

I hear you Rocky, definitely on the same side, and i didn't mean to sound annoyed with you for saying Johnny was living in the past, i realize you were reflecting the view of the Rolling Stone journalist.
Not to get too political but yes i agree with all the above, Ronald Reagan once said if fascism ever raises its ugly head again it will come in the name of liberalism, and that's whats beginning to happen in the western world today.

Back to Depp, i'm not sure he is an alcoholic, that's rather like saying Keith is an alcoholic, they are both looking good on it if you ask me, Depp is the wrong side of 50 and doesn't have a line on his face, Keith is almost 75 and still performing two hour stadium Rock. Rather they are drinkers who at bad times in life turn to the booze more than usual.
According to many Americans you're an alcoholic if you go out on a Saturday night and sink 6 beers. That's nats piss to the average Brit on the piss winking smiley
Its part of our culture, stems from ridiculous licensing laws from when we were in our teens and 20's, we used to get as many beers in as possible before last orders at 11. It causes binge drinking, i'm happy to say i don't drink these days, realized i'm not Keith Richards, finally grew up, don't think even Keith Richards is Keith Richards these days.winking smiley
Who is that agreeable cheerful old man up their on stage playing Keith's guitars. he looks like him but he certainly don't move like him.
Well gee, if RONALD REAGAN said it, it must be true.

Yeah, it's those damn liberals spreading fascism by making sure it's no longer acceptable to say nigger or faggot in polite company. If tolerance = fascism to you, then you're part of the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-23 03:59 by keefriff99.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 23, 2018 04:01

Rocky Dijon
keithsman

You realize the Gores were conservative Southern Democrats back in the '80s, and the whole ridiculous PMRC was made up of two Democratic women and two Republican women.

Date: June 23, 2018 04:07

keefriff99, I never said anything of the sort. I said I didn't like censorship. The Stones have lyrics with the offending words you listed. Should they be labeled incorrect or should the context be considered? I'd argue the latter. And my point about fighting for tolerance and against bigotry was anyone doing that should not want to fall to censorship which is what happens in the extremes of political correctness.

The reference I made was to a deliberately irritating insult comic, Don Rickles, who did not use racial or sexual slurs in his act. He did mock prejudices and then turn around and say something positive. Whether one finds him funny or dreadful is of little consequence. I thought giving him space in the article on Depp was serving a purpose only in the journalist's mind and not a valid one. Depp's drinking, drug-taking, spending, and abusive behavior are valid to the extent the stories are true.

I have no desire to turn this into politics. I don't like politicians. I'll discuss them in so far as lyrics of Stones songs are concerned, but otherwise like religion, politics only serves to set off people who could otherwise speak civilly to one another.

Date: June 23, 2018 04:08

Never mind. It's a stupid waste of time. Think what you like. I really can't @#$%& stand this place sometimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-23 04:09 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: June 23, 2018 07:57

jerry Jerry JERRY!

lol... these gossipy hen house threads... cluck!! cluckcluckgrinning smiley

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 23, 2018 20:29

I read the article and is very sad,people liKe Johnny and Keith have lots of talent for their craft but somehow they are always surrounded by leechers and enablers and they never seem to can or want to get rid of them,l mean it took Keith to fall of that tree to get his act together or so it seems,maybe J.D will have a similar Epiphany that will set him straight,l hope so otherwise his demons will get the best of him,I met Johnny one time when he was here in Puerto Rico filming "The Rum Diary" they were shooting in the parking lot of one my business,and he was very nice,humble and shy,actually l gave him one of my cd's a Keith compilation and a T shirt from my restaurant,it was a brief encounter,but super cool,hope he makes it thru all the shit he is going thru....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: June 24, 2018 00:39

ROPENI
I read the article and is very sad,people liKe Johnny and Keith have lots of talent for their craft but somehow they are always surrounded by leechers and enablers and they never seem to can or want to get rid of them,l mean it took Keith to fall of that tree to get his act together or so it seems,maybe J.D will have a similar Epiphany that will set him straight,l hope so otherwise his demons will get the best of him,I met Johnny one time when he was here in Puerto Rico filming "The Rum Diary" they were shooting in the parking lot of one my business,and he was very nice,humble and shy,actually l gave him one of my cd's a Keith compilation and a T shirt from my restaurant,it was a brief encounter,but super cool,hope he makes it thru all the shit he is going thru....

On the contrary, Keith went completely off the rails after the tree incident, he became completely consumed by alcohol after that accident, look at some of the live footage during 06' 07'
For personal reasons he nearly lost everything dear to him in 07' but incredibly his epiphany came shortly after in 08' i'm very pleased to say, or he wouldn't be with us today.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 24, 2018 01:08

Rocky Dijon
I really can't @#$%& stand this place sometimes.

Hear! Hear! thumbs up

And it's obnoxious race- and politics-baiting trolls like this...

keefriff99

...who threaten to get a thread like this closed, all because they can't deal with a civil discussion on an adult level, and feel compelled to drag their dumb politics and race baiting into things, complete with pre-formed judgments for anyone who doesn't agree with their hate-based agenda.

Best not to feed the trolls, because a fight is exactly what these characters are looking for.

Fortunately, I've been around long enough to know who to avoid on this board.

On the matter of Johnny Depp, his personal business/problems are his own business.

Never been a fan of his, although I did think he was good in Ed Wood -- but then everyone in that film was great, including and especially Martin Landau...

Then again, I'm certain that that if there had been no social connection with Keith, we'd never be discussing Depp or his Rolling Stone write-up on this board.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 24, 2018 01:40

keithsman
ROPENI

On the contrary, Keith went completely off the rails after the tree incident, he became completely consumed by alcohol after that accident, look at some of the live footage during 06' 07'
For personal reasons he nearly lost everything dear to him in 07' but incredibly his epiphany came shortly after in 08' i'm very pleased to say, or he wouldn't be with us today.

Keith was put on heavy duty medicine after his brain surgery.
That is why his imbalance during the remaining 2006/2007 tour.
That inclusive Patty's breast cancer.
He was in bad shape facing "brain treatment" and wife's cancer problems.
Not severe alcohol problems as people write here.

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: June 24, 2018 02:08

It is completely beyond me how any humane being could conduct that interview then walk away and write this crap.

I saw the interview a couple of days ago and it made me sick, you know people who can help but choose to play this crap out for all the world to gawp at gape at and comment on.

Seriously you cant see the guy is in a V bad and volatile place but your article is more important than the life of another humane being.

SHAME ON YOU.

Date: June 24, 2018 07:09

stonehearted

On the matter of Johnny Depp, his personal business/problems are his own business.

Never been a fan of his, although I did think he was good in Ed Wood -- but then everyone in that film was great, including and especially Martin Landau...

Agree with your first sentence 2000 percent.. but...

How can you say you are not a fan of his, I know you are a fan of movies and TV... and Depp is very good at that.

I have always been amazed at his REAL acting... I think one of our generations best.

He actually acts ... unlike so many hollywood players these days, who dont really act, they just do what they are... I mean Bruce Willis plays a great Bruce Willis and Stallone is a great Stallone... etc etc...

and then there are those types like Ben AFFLACK!... who play every role, says every line, like he is eating Sunday dinner at his parents... I am at a loss for how he ever got work (I assume he was good on the casting couch)

Compare and contrast those people to Depp...
Depp disappears into so many roles.. at least he used to. I havew not seen much of his recent work. You mention Ed Wood, he was perfect in that... but add to it Pirates, Willy Wonka, Tonto, Blow, The Mad Hatter, Ichabod Crane, Raoul Duke, Donnie Brasco and so many more roles. Watching him in those movies I didn't see Depp... I saw acting, amazing acting.

I could not care less about his BS with Keef... or his woman troubles that gave him such bad publicity and cost him millions... that is all... who knows... Not me.

Now I see him out rocking with Alice and Joe... and living the life. And I saw good for him. smileys with beer

Date: June 24, 2018 07:11

btw- I didn't read the interview above...
just seeing the comments here makes know it is nothing I have any interest in.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 24, 2018 09:51

Leonioid
I have always been amazed at his REAL acting... I think one of our generations best.

He actually acts ... unlike so many hollywood players these days, who dont really act, they just do what they are... I mean Bruce Willis plays a great Bruce Willis and Stallone is a great Stallone... etc etc...

and then there are those types like Ben AFFLACK!... who play every role, says every line, like he is eating Sunday dinner at his parents... I am at a loss for how he ever got work (I assume he was good on the casting couch)

Depp disappears into so many roles.. at least he used to. I havew not seen much of his recent work. You mention Ed Wood, he was perfect in that... but add to it Pirates, Willy Wonka, Tonto, Blow, The Mad Hatter, Ichabod Crane, Raoul Duke, Donnie Brasco and so many more roles. Watching him in those movies I didn't see Depp... I saw acting, amazing acting.

I could not care less about his BS with Keef... or his woman troubles that gave him such bad publicity and cost him millions... that is all... who knows... Not me.

Now I see him out rocking with Alice and Joe... and living the life. And I saw good for him. smileys with beer

Well yes, I have to agree with you there. As far as disappearing into a character and acting so that you see the character and not the actor, as opposed to, say, Jack Nicholson, who is also great by the way in his own way, then yes, Johnny Depp has great talent.

Come to think of it, I also very much enjoyed Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Well, I like some of his early stuff, but like Stephen King, he kind of became a brand along the way.

Hope he recovers from this apparent dark period, and rediscovers what made him great to begin with -- not being seen with certain people, or becoming a cartoon figure of self-destruction a la Dee Dee Ramone, but just being great at making film characters come alive.

And he should forget about the rock-n-roll wannabe stuff with Alice and Joe.

Actors wannabe musicians, and musicians wannabe actors -- hell, in one 1976 interview, Charlie Watts even said he wanted to be a writer.

Date: June 24, 2018 10:54

stonehearted
Leonioid

Well yes, I have to agree with you there. As far as disappearing into a character and acting so that you see the character and not the actor, as opposed to, say, Jack Nicholson, who is also great by the way in his own way, then yes, Johnny Depp has great talent.

Come to think of it, I also very much enjoyed Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Well, I like some of his early stuff, but like Stephen King, he kind of became a brand along the way.

Hope he recovers from this apparent dark period, and rediscovers what made him great to begin with -- not being seen with certain people, or becoming a cartoon figure of self-destruction a la Dee Dee Ramone, but just being great at making film characters come alive.

And he should forget about the rock-n-roll wannabe stuff with Alice and Joe.

Actors wannabe musicians, and musicians wannabe actors -- hell, in one 1976 interview, Charlie Watts even said he wanted to be a writer.

I thought you might agree with thatsmiling smiley and indeed he was funny/good in Fear and Loathing.

And isnt it interesting about "the grass is greener over there"... Actors/musicians/horsemen... but I respect Alice and Joe enough to side with them if they think Depp is good enough to play with them onstage, then that is good enough for me. I would be delighted to pay go see the Hollywood Vampires play if they came close to me. Alice is a rock God.

I am happy for Depp for doing his thing... life is weird...
who knows what motivates... anyone... but... anyway...
Good for Depp having the money to do whatever he wants... and hell... in the end, nobody makes it out alive no matter what.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 26, 2018 21:57

dcba

Yeah that's my idea too. "If I ever hear you beat up your old lady I don't know you man". This is the Keith policy and it goes back to Brian Jones.

So, Keith doesn't know himself then? Or many of his musical heroes?

Date: July 1, 2018 06:03

Weekend Australian -- MAGAZINE -- 1 July 2018

ROCKMAN

Date: July 1, 2018 08:06

^^ Cool article... go Johnny... GO!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-01 08:34 by Leonioid.

Date: July 1, 2018 19:43

mtaylor
keithsman
ROPENI

Keith was put on heavy duty medicine after his brain surgery.
That is why his imbalance during the remaining 2006/2007 tour.
That inclusive Patty's breast cancer.
He was in bad shape facing "brain treatment" and wife's cancer problems.
Not severe alcohol problems as people write here.

I don't really want to get into this but would like to try to put the record straight if i can.
Keith's family themselves admitted he went off the rails as he didn't handle what was happening to Patti very well.
Keith's my man , love the guy , don't want to disrespect him but saying that Keith was not drinking to excess in 07' is most likely incorrect.
In 06' when Keith went back on the road after the brain injury he was very good considering what he had been through.
He slid after that, and as for the anti seizure medication he will have to take that for life.
Yes Keith was drinking heavy on the 07' tour. No he wasn't drunk every night but more often than not he was.
Makes it all the better to see him so happy now and playing great.

Another thing i realized the other day, at the same time as Patti being very ill he also lost his mum after being ill for a while.
I read that he spent the last week of his Mothers life with her at the Hospital, reading to her and playing her favorite music.
I think being on a stage was the last place in the world Keith wanted to be during this period, hence he found an escape the only way he knew how.
Can't say as i blame him i can't say that it makes him a bad person because he feels so deeply about the people he loves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-01 19:48 by keithsman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 1, 2018 21:06

With a name like "the Kids", no wonder Depps band made it nowhere in L.A.
Bands dominating the scene at the time had names like Slayer, Armored Saint, Suicidal Tendencies, W.A.S.P., Motley Crue,
Ratt, Poison, Great White, Quiet Riot, and Guns'N'Roses, etc., etc., etc. ...and then you have the Kids?
Wondering what kind of music they played...something tells me with a name like the Kids might have been new wave/soft punk fluffy stuff.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: July 2, 2018 04:04

Well, Depp might have stuck out it out in music regardless if Nic Cage hadn't convinced him to become an actor. It seems to make a strange amount of sense, given that both of them essentially ended up in the same boat.

Date: July 7, 2018 02:06

Herald Sun -- 7 July 2018

ROCKMAN

Re: Johnny Depp Rolling Stone Interview (update about Keith's documentary)i
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 7, 2018 08:22

His Majesty
dcba

Yeah that's my idea too. "If I ever hear you beat up your old lady I don't know you man". This is the Keith policy and it goes back to Brian Jones.
G
So, Keith doesn't know himself then? Or many of his musical heroes?

Don’t even bother His Majesty ,the keithettes have invented an alternate reality where Keith is a stand up guy that never punched Anita in the face in the back of a limo and never fell asleep with a loaded gun near an 8 year old or left plates of dangerous drugs near his kid.
The made up quote above is laughable,I mean I’m a huge Keith fan but I went into it knowing the guy was a friggin dirtbag.it fills some kind of bizarre need in these people to have the ultimate lowlife in the fast lane be their uncle who makes sure everyone has their seatbelt buckled before leaving the driveway.

Date: July 7, 2018 21:06

I think it's something most people do when they admire an aspect of a person. It's why hagiography came to mean an unreliable account of a person's life where the writer is so enamored of the subject they whitewash everything to make them a good person. I've been guilty of it in the past as well.

The thing is, it's rare people are universally detested. Someone's kids and friends or spouse may say wonderful things about them. Former colleagues or lovers or people they crossed may say something quite different. It's true of celebrities as much as each of us.

Fan boards, by nature, will have much more extreme examples, such as making Keith the one with most of the talent and a good and upright man who follows his personal code of honor at all times while painting Mick as the greedy, trend-chasing, skirt-chasing front man who sold out. Both views are over-simplified and never true all of the time. People are more complex than being heroes and villains in a melodrama.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home