Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Johnny Depp Rolling Stone Interview (update about Keith's documentary)
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 21, 2018 23:29

This documentary was already the subject of various threads on this board, and the newest one is from 2013 so I didn't want to relive them.

"Depp rambles on about what he wants to do as soon as the lawsuits are settled and he is vindicated. There is a French book he wants to adapt and direct. It's about a man who loses his wife, loses everything and then checks into a senior-citizen home even though he's only in his forties.

"It's called Happier Days," Depp tells me. (This is not to be confused with a Keith Richards documentary that Depp says he's halfway done with, which is tentatively titled Happy.)

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: Johnny Depp Rolling Stone Interview (update about Keith's documentary)
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 21, 2018 23:45

Halfway done? Depp wrapped filming on "Happy" 5 years ago...

[www.express.co.uk]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 21, 2018 23:52

bye bye johnny
Halfway done? Depp wrapped filming on "Happy" 5 years ago...

[www.express.co.uk]

It seems like this might be the "Chinese Democracy" equivalent of documentaries. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 21, 2018 23:54

Maybe the doc will be released to coincide with the next Stones album... ; )

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 22, 2018 01:53

Phew !!!!!! …. what a read ….. How $$$$$$ can twist ya …..pull back Johnny

Sunset Boulevard ...... Norma Desmond on drugs .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 22, 2018 01:56

You will never see Depp's documentary on Keith because they fell out years ago, this is old news, we have has this discussion on here many times.

Keith's revenge on Johnny was Under The influence, who needs Johnny.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 22, 2018 04:31

Very sad. Someone in the industry (not a close friend of Johnny, just someone who has worked with him), recently said they really think there's a good chance he will o.d. soon. I know it's easy to make such predictions when people are spiraling. It doesn't always happen. I hope he's wrong. A very talented guy who is anything but happy. I hope he beats the odds.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 22, 2018 05:49

keithsman
You will never see Depp's documentary on Keith because they fell out years ago, this is old news, we have has this discussion on here many times.

Is there a reason or did anyone hear why or what caused their falling out?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 22, 2018 05:50

Rolling Stone just published a new profile of Johnny Depp. It’s damning. - Vox
[apple.news]

Ouch...

Date: June 22, 2018 10:09

IanBillen
keithsman

Is there a reason or did anyone hear why or what caused their falling out?

Well you know Keith and Johnny were pretty tight, very close, good friends seen together a lot.
Since May 2013 they haven't been seen together and neither has mentioned the other since that time.
Keith declined to play his expected role in the last pirates movie, Paul McCartney took his place.
Nothing came of the documentary Johnny was making on Keith, so i guess they fell out or Keith wanted to distance himself from Johnny because of the drinking and drug taking, who knows, its my guess that Johnny upset Keith in some way during his melt down.
They are both classy guys because they haven't mentioned it to the press or anyone.

I hope they rekindle their friendship because i think Johnny is a lovely fascinating talented man, he is obviously self destructing and its very sad. I know all about that myself.
Keith is in the last chance saloon at 74 years of age and i can understand why he needs to be very careful of the company he keeps.
Perhaps Keith is waiting for johnny to get his act together.
This is all speculation but its obvious reading between the lines that something happened between them, i thought they were very close.
This has all been said on iorr many times over many threads, the situation hasn't changed in over 5 years.

Posted by: mattyman76 ()
Date: June 22, 2018 10:52

I thought Keith fell out with Jonny because he best up his wife? Or was it something else?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 22, 2018 11:06

latebloomer
Rolling Stone just published a new profile of Johnny Depp. It’s damning. - Vox
[apple.news]

Ouch...

Ouch indeedie. Good grief...

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 22, 2018 12:57

As everybody else here, of course, I don't know what happened between Johnny and Keith. But I have a theory, note please: this is just a guess.

We all remember the duetts the Stones did with other musicians on stage.
e.g. 2015 withe Grace Potter, Gwen Stefani or even with Taylor Swift.
Never got what Swift had to do there.
So probably Johhny once asked Keith if he might be allowed to join the Stones for a song on stage. Depp did duetts before with Aerosmith, Billy Gibbons,
Alice Cooper etc.
So when he wasn't invited it probably hurted the friendship with Keith.
Again, just guessing!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 22, 2018 14:27

I’d like to think Keith Richards attorney has bought the rights out and owns it fully/ never to be released/ dumped overboard and buried at the bottom of the sea.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 22, 2018 14:53

it all started with Pistol & Boo …...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 22, 2018 16:05

Sad, Sad, Sad story...
hoping for clarity vs. tragedy.

Date: June 22, 2018 16:39

Rockman
it all started with Pistol & Boo …...

Heh heh heh.

You go to any ‘No Filter 2’ Rockman?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 22, 2018 16:44

He looks horrible...he was such a handsome man even 7-8 years ago.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2018 17:13

mattyman76
I thought Keith fell out with Jonny because he beat up his wife?

Yeah that's my idea too. "If I ever hear you beat up your old lady I don't know you man". This is the Keith policy and it goes back to Brian Jones.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 22, 2018 17:23

Reading the rolling stone 's article is quite depressing. At least Johnny still has music to help him. Will he get out of the situation and survive? The smoking of hash and drinking through the night ressembles a décor set-up "a la Keith". But the conclusion from the writer isn't in favor of Johnny; Depp is quite lost.
Rockandroll,
Mopd

Date: June 22, 2018 17:43

Johnny was close friends with Marlon. I would start there if you're looking for answers.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 22, 2018 18:16

In the Keith Richards Netflix documentary, Tom waits talks about personaes that famous artists create to protect themselves and to able them to grow and change as a person. I think Johnny is trapped in his persona.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 22, 2018 20:02

fascinating read, Johnny is a great talent but again this smacks of not having the right people around him. Think it all started going downhill when he left the stability of family life in France with Vanessa Paradis behind him. Sad stuff really.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 22, 2018 20:29

Never liked Depp as an actor, and now he just seems really creepy based on those articles posted above.

"Man child"...visions of Michael Jackson living in a warped fantasy land.

It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion...nothing really good is going to come out if it.
But from one human to another, I sincerely hope he can rise above the turmoil, but it seems he's buried himself pretty deep at this point - he needs all the help he can get.

Date: June 22, 2018 21:19

Great quote, Mops and very well said, Hairball.

I think Depp is very talented, but I don't know that I'd say he's ever made art worthy of that talent. The thing that is most sad is a piece of journalism like this where the subject desperately wanted someone on his side and the reporter went for the big splash of Serious Journalism where you portray the subject in the worst possible light.

A lot of what's splashed around in the lengthy piece is legitimately negative - though I have an issue with accepting a man's drugs and hospitality and then stabbing him in the back once you're no longer a house guest. It reinforces the siege mentality for guys like Depp. Trust no one because everyone uses you and betrays you is his message and the journalist friend does the same. It's perfect if you're hoping to push damaged goods over the edge to sell more copy and promote yourself.

What is most pathetic is the emphasis on Don Rickles because such humor is politically incorrect (Rickles was politically incorrect before the phrase existed). What possible place does that have outside of an agenda to take Depp down? Idolizing Keith is politically incorrect, too. The Stones might not be targeted by today's version of blue-noses, but the Stones (especially Keith) embody attitudes that are antiquated at best and considered offensive at worst today. So what? Liking old movies with chauvinism and smoking is also incorrect today.

I understand painting Depp as an out of control and abusive personality, it certainly seems like there's reason to do so. Painting Depp as a bad person because he likes performers from the past who weren't progressive is just rubbish. The whole piece reads like a take-down from someone Depp once again misjudged as a friend. Johnny does need help. He won't get it from yes-men, leeches, or journalists who want to stand on his corpse and call themselves heroes.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 22, 2018 21:33

I didn't understand the inclusion of the Rickles joke either. Yeah, it's definitely outdated, but Rickles was no racist. He pushed the envelope with his insult comedy but never intended to hurt anyone, and always made a point to be gracious when he wasn't in attack mode.

Date: June 22, 2018 21:41

yorkshirestone
fascinating read, Johnny is a great talent but again this smacks of not having the right people around him. Think it all started going downhill when he left the stability of family life in France with Vanessa Paradis behind him. Sad stuff really.

I think that's right, he's gone down hill since splitting with Vanessa, she obviously had a stabilizing influence on him, and from what i gathered he was a doting farther, the loss of the family unit must have hit him hard.

I'm not so sure Keith dropped him as a friend because he threw a mobile phone at Amber, people do crazy things when loving relationships come to an end.
I don't really understand all this demonizing of Johnny, its his life, so he likes fine wine and a bit of weed, who doesn't, he's not exactly shooting up heroin.
Johnny's going through a tough time, who hasn't, hes human, i like the guy, i think he is an enormously talented actor, a crazy fun loving fascinating guy and i hope he gets back on track with his career and finds love again with someone genuine. Looks like everyone is turning on the poor guy, kicking him when he's down, jeez give him a break, he's just been conned out of about 300 million dollars and lost the best looking girl on the planet.
Keith had already stopped hanging out with Johnny 3 years before the famous mobile phone incident, i don't think he stopped hanging with him because he threw a phone in frustration, that would be shallow, i think there is probably more to it than that. The last time Keith was spotted with Johnny was in May 2013 while Keith was on tour, Keith Patti Amber and Johnny all exiting a restaurant together, Amber didn't look battered by any stretch.
There is no evidence that he is a wife beater, that's not been proven by anyone, i give the guy the benefit of the doubt, does anyone remember innocent until proven guilty.

The only thing that pissed me off was Johnny not releasing that footage of Keith in the documentary, or Keith not giving him permission to release it, he had footage of Keith playing with the Wino's, i hope they become friends again and Johnny gets the thumbs up from Keith for the documentary release, although its a bit late now i suppose.

Date: June 22, 2018 22:01

keefriff99
I didn't understand the inclusion of the Rickles joke either. Yeah, it's definitely outdated, but Rickles was no racist. He pushed the envelope with his insult comedy but never intended to hurt anyone, and always made a point to be gracious when he wasn't in attack mode.

Correct, but the audience the journalist is aiming for just knows Rickles as an old guy and the joke in question is quoted to show how Johnny lives in the past when bad people did bad things including laughing at ugly racist stereotypes. He's half-correct, Depp does seem trapped by an image that is equal parts Brando, Hunter S. Thompson, and Keith. He does live in the past. He is a Lost Boy who didn't become Captain Hook, he became a casualty of his own excess (unless something changes). The problem is the whole piece smacks of ambulance-chasing. Win the confidence of a troubled superstar who keeps the press at bay and then hope to take him down in the belief the headlines will be on your side. It's a crap move by someone lacking in ethics, but brimful of agenda. It does the field of journalism no favors. It only hurts Depp further. It's irresponsible and pathetic. It's also succeeded in gaining the journalist and the magazine a great deal of attention from the train wreck fascination of Depp at his nadir.

Date: June 22, 2018 23:18

Rocky Dijon
keefriff99

Correct, but the audience the journalist is aiming for just knows Rickles as an old guy and the joke in question is quoted to show how Johnny lives in the past when bad people did bad things including laughing at ugly racist stereotypes. He's half-correct, Depp does seem trapped by an image that is equal parts Brando, Hunter S. Thompson, and Keith. He does live in the past. He is a Lost Boy who didn't become Captain Hook, he became a casualty of his own excess (unless something changes). The problem is the whole piece smacks of ambulance-chasing. Win the confidence of a troubled superstar who keeps the press at bay and then hope to take him down in the belief the headlines will be on your side. It's a crap move by someone lacking in ethics, but brimful of agenda. It does the field of journalism no favors. It only hurts Depp further. It's irresponsible and pathetic. It's also succeeded in gaining the journalist and the magazine a great deal of attention from the train wreck fascination of Depp at his nadir.

Jeez we are all guilty of that Rocky, most of us are still seeing the Stones live because we can't get over how good they were between 67' to 74' about 90% of live shows rest heavenly on the past.
Lets be honest, creatively , music, film and comedy will never be what it was, not in this mainstream must make maximum profit environment, on top of that the political correctness restricts comedy subject matter immensely on all levels.

When i think of films like One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, that film wouldn't have a chance to be made today for cinema release, films now have to have maximum appeal, that incredible film was about a man in a mental hospital, but is was so much more than that, it showed you can't beat the system, it's all a game and it's rigged was the message.
I find myself going over old episodes of Fawlty Towers for laughs, those comedy series would never be aired today, far too politically incorrect.

Nothing wrong with Johnny Depp loving and hankering for the past, i don't watch TV, refuse to buy a licence, haven't for years on principle, all these 24 hour news channels, so depressing, indoctrinating mind control at it's worse.

Date: June 23, 2018 00:14

yorkshirestone

It smacks of alcoholism and drug addiction and damage from it I’m so sorry——

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home