Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keiths Les Paul Junior
Date: June 21, 2018 01:06

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I don't think his TV yellow Jr that he has been using for what? At least 20 years? Gets enough recognition as an absolute tone monster.

For the press and casual fans it's all about his Telecasters or even his Gibson semi-hollow but when he's in standard tuning he really rips it up on that little Jr through a tweed.

The Twickenham show really brought it out to me.

Re: Keiths Les Paul Junior
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 21, 2018 01:23

GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT post. The TONE of that guitar that emerges from whatever the hell he puts it through ... is astonishing !! Just listen to the first couple of minutes of Rambler, that brings it home to you completely !!

And I thought I was the only one who was wondering how the hell he manages to get that exquisite sound out of that old Gibbo Les Paul Jr ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: June 21, 2018 01:42

Haha,thank you!

Rambler is a prime example of this little beauty in full flight....and you can tell he LOVES to play it.

Even on the quiet beakdown bit it sounds awesome.

I've got one as it happens( a new one of course) and it just cries out for the Rambler riff.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 21, 2018 04:34

Juniors are sweet little guitars. Only one pickup, but it roars. I got one 15 years ago. It's among my favorite guitars.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 21, 2018 11:26

thegreenmanalishi
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I don't think his TV yellow Jr that he has been using for what? At least 20 years?

Since 1979.

Mathijs

Date: June 21, 2018 11:48

What happened to this one, Mathijs?

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 21, 2018 16:18

I enjoy my LP Jr.

It's easy to play and it has a unique sound which I can best describe as a "snarl".

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 21, 2018 16:36

Is it just me or does it seems like he's been using it a LOT more on the 2 legs of the No Filter tour than any other tours?

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: June 21, 2018 17:00

He has used it a lot since 2012.

Date: June 21, 2018 17:29

MacLaurens

He has used it for every tour they've played MR from the 80s and on.

Occasionally, he has used it for other songs as well. Here he plays it, probably with the New Barbarians, in 1979.

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: June 21, 2018 17:33

I got a LP Jr, double cut, just like keith's one. it sounds fantastic, p-90 pick up is very aggressive and screaming if you want as well it can be very sweet and soulful. really love keith's tone with it and i've seen he uses a couple of single cut too. juniors got very handable neck, they're quite light on shoulders and a joy to play both on stage and when reherasing. great loveable guitar!

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: June 21, 2018 19:38

DandelionPowderman
MacLaurens

He has used it for every tour they've played MR from the 80s and on.

Occasionally, he has used it for other songs as well. Here he plays it, probably with the New Barbarians, in 1979.

Yes, you are right. I was not thinking of the double cutaway, rather on the one he uses on Satisfaction and Sympathy. That's a Les Paul Jr TV as well, right?

Date: June 21, 2018 21:38

The tone he gets with the LP Jr on Out of Control when the singing stops and Ronnie does the wah-wah bit is incredible.

It's my favorite tone of his.

The amp just howls, it's friggin' ominous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-21 21:39 by beachbreak.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 22, 2018 11:24

He played a single cutaway LP Jr on Can't You Hear Me Knocking? at the show I saw in Buffalo three years ago. It made the intro much more ballsy than when he plays that song on a Tele.

Date: June 22, 2018 11:28

ab
He played a single cutaway LP Jr on Can't You Hear Me Knocking? at the show I saw in Buffalo three years ago. It made the intro much more ballsy than when he plays that song on a Tele.

Agreed! It sounded great.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 22, 2018 11:35

If you are looking for Keith´s LP Junior Sound try a Slick guitar. Ether the SL 59 or 60 with P90 pickups, or the SL 52 with Humbuckers. A very ballsy and straight into your face sound.
[www.guitarplayer.com]

Date: June 24, 2018 21:50

Mathijs
thegreenmanalishi
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I don't think his TV yellow Jr that he has been using for what? At least 20 years?

Since 1979.

Mathijs

Thank you kind sir.

Date: June 24, 2018 21:52

RockingLonestar
If you are looking for Keith´s LP Junior Sound try a Slick guitar. Ether the SL 59 or 60 with P90 pickups, or the SL 52 with Humbuckers. A very ballsy and straight into your face sound.
[www.guitarplayer.com]

Interesting.....very cheap too.

Date: June 24, 2018 21:55

I think Keith's Tele tone is just a tad overrated.....imo it's really more the fact that he played songs like BS,TD ect on them rather than the TONE itself.

He sounds better on Gibsons for the most part I think.

And don't think for one moment i'm slagging his tele tone...he sounds fantastic,I just don't think the tone itself is as legendary as the mainstream would have us believe.

Date: June 25, 2018 00:58

thegreenmanalishi
I think Keith's Tele tone is just a tad overrated.....imo it's really more the fact that he played songs like BS,TD ect on them rather than the TONE itself.

And don't think for one moment i'm slagging his tele tone...he sounds fantastic,I just don't think the tone itself is as legendary as the mainstream would have us believe.

Through the Ampeg and the Boogie his Tele tone was Lovely, imo.

Date: June 25, 2018 04:08

Through the Ampeg and the Boogie his Tele tone was Lovely, imo.

Agreed! Especially through the Ampegs live. It was tone to die for.

In the studio he got a wonderful sound on the song Trouble from his last solo LP.

The guy can make any combination of guitar and amp sound good.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 25, 2018 07:00

thegreenmanalishi

The Telecaster/Fender tone is unmistakable on something like Take It So Hard or Love Is Strong (and loads of other songs) - they wouldn't sound as good on anything else.

Date: June 25, 2018 14:17

DandelionPowderman

Can't see the pic!

Mathijs

Date: June 25, 2018 14:36

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Can't see the pic!

Mathijs

Hm, how come? confused smiley

It's the brown one he played when guesting with the Faces and with the Baby Barbarians. I'll send it to you privately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-25 14:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 25, 2018 15:46

beachbreak
The tone he gets with the LP Jr on Out of Control when the singing stops and Ronnie does the wah-wah bit is incredible.

Yes! I feel the same way...on live versions of OOC, particularly in 1997-1998, the growling tone he would get when he'd riff at the end of the song during Ronnie's wah solo was absolutely ferocious.

[www.youtube.com]

From the St. Louis PPV...starting at 4:45...TASTY!

Date: June 25, 2018 22:09

keefriff99
beachbreak

Yes! I feel the same way...on live versions of OOC, particularly in 1997-1998, the growling tone he would get when he'd riff at the end of the song during Ronnie's wah solo was absolutely ferocious.

[www.youtube.com]

From the St. Louis PPV...starting at 4:45...TASTY!

Wow....very nice!

Date: June 26, 2018 12:25

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Can't see the pic!

Mathijs

It's the brown one he played when guesting with the Faces and with the Baby Barbarians. I'll send it to you privately.

That's a 1960 LP Junior, now on display at the Stones Exhibition.

Mathijs

Date: June 26, 2018 12:28

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Can't see the pic!

Mathijs

That's a 1960 LP Junior, now on display at the Stones Exhibition.

Mathijs

That particular guitar is on display? Oh, thanks.

Used for MR now and again in 1975/76, right?

Date: June 28, 2018 01:17

As a quick aside, I love the Jr. been playing it for years but can't keep it in tune for more than a song. Tried everything, nut lube, etc. Any suggestions? A few strings usually go flat, never sharp after playing, tuners are good and I am a good stringer, by the book. Thanks.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 29, 2018 11:46

thegreenmanalishi
RockingLonestar
[www.guitarplayer.com]

Interesting.....very cheap too.

Yes, but surprisingly it has everything a rock´n´roll guitar needs. Amazing pickups, which are perfectly balanced, resonant Wood (swamp ash for the Body and Canadian maple für the neck,it stays in tune and it has a very amazing brass wraparound bridge for a long sustain and a sharp bite.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home