Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 29
Re: OT: The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 22, 2018 10:49

Most of my time is taken up by the Stones tour, so the World Cup is something that is not high on my priority list these days, I can't skip a Stones show just to watch a football game on TV...

I arrived into my hotel here in Berlin some time after 8pm, having been at home for less than 24 hours. Then after checking in to my hotel I went for a meal in the nearby restaurant. Luckily they had a TV there so I could also see the game. They had Argentina vs Croatia on the TV, and the game was 20 minutes old. I saw the rest of the game there.

The first Croatia goal was amazing, sloopy by the Argentina goalkeeper, then the 2-0 goal was brilliant, and the third one was sort of at a time when Argentina had given up and were in a mess, I think. Croatia is a strong team, that is for sure, and I see why. This is the 2-0 goal by Luca Modric, a masterpiece. Sensational goal says the commentator:

[www.dailymotion.com]

Bjornulf

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 22, 2018 14:32

Croatia were sensational but of course the game is viewed by the media through the Messi prism.
Picked 3 points for backing the Croats to an unfancied win. ( I had 1-2 )
BTW in the game I’m Mike A
Enjoy! Let the games continue!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 22, 2018 17:25

the messi v ronaldo argument should never be just based on amount of goals scored.

which it is.

ronaldo is a centre forward, who always relies on his team mates dominating, and creating chances for him. where as messi is a play maker who also scores goals.

its like saying brazilian socrates or rivilino is not as good as peter crouch.

to me the whole thing should never be debated.

but messi still score more goals these last 4 years.

as for todays game.

brazil deserved to win, but why was neymar so eager to go down and try to win a penalty when he could have pulled the trigger with his left foot.

neymar needs to change his attitude. his performances so far have not been good enough.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 22, 2018 17:35

buttons67

as for todays game.

brazil deserved to win, but why was neymar so eager to go down and try to win a penalty when he could have pulled the trigger with his left foot.

neymar needs to change his attitude
. his performances so far have not been good enough.

That was so pathetic and explains a lot why so many brazilians don't like him, me included.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 22, 2018 17:59

Buttons67: I see that you like Messi. Which is fair. To the rest of the world (and all football experts) the matter is a no-brainer though: Ronaldo is a success so far in the WC, for Messi it's the other way around.
But of course you have right to your own opinion here.

Date: June 22, 2018 20:44

stoneage. to be honest, ive critisised messi a lot over the years, as i have ronaldo, and yes i agree ronaldo has been a success, so far in this world cup.

i just dont dig the opinion that these 2 are the best in the world ever.

neither have had a great world cup. they both have flaws which media ignore.

for me its maradona, no one comes close.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 22, 2018 22:41

buttons67
stoneage. to be honest, ive critisised messi a lot over the years, as i have ronaldo, and yes i agree ronaldo has been a success, so far in this world cup.

i just dont dig the opinion that these 2 are the best in the world ever.

neither have had a great world cup. they both have flaws which media ignore.

for me its maradona, no one comes close.

Pele?

Date: June 22, 2018 22:43

Maradona. Best ever .

Date: June 22, 2018 22:45

Okey, Buttons67. I was only refering to this tournament. In which Ronaldo has done better than Messi. At least so far. I think both are good players.
But there are many, as you say, to choose from. I would also consider Maradona as, perhaps, number one. If such distinctions are possible. Take care. All the best.

Date: June 22, 2018 22:49

vertigojoe
Maradona. Best ever .

Pele won 3 World Cups and Maradona 1, helped on his way by a certain unpunished blatant handball which led to a goal in a 2-1 win.

Date: June 22, 2018 23:32

serbia v switzerland was a good watch.

could have had more goals as both teams created chances.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 22, 2018 23:34

grzegorz67
vertigojoe
Maradona. Best ever .

Pele won 3 World Cups and Maradona 1, helped on his way by a certain unpunished blatant handball which led to a goal in a 2-1 win.

The Brazil 1970 team is still the best I have ever seen.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 22, 2018 23:39

Deltics
grzegorz67
vertigojoe
Maradona. Best ever .

Most informed opinion agrees that they were the best team ever. And they were far from a 1 man team with many huge talents in it other than Pele himself.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: June 22, 2018 23:49

Serbia vs Switzerland, my nerves ....

resote1e

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 22, 2018 23:54

Great Swiss team !

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 23, 2018 00:44

Swiss team? It was a Balkan derby really. One Serb and two Kosovar Albanians scored. I hope the two Kosovar Albanians who made political gestures will be punished by FIFA. It's not allowed.
Neither is ripping off your shirt and showing your muscles to the audience. And one might wonder: Why play for one country if your heart is dedicated to another?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-23 09:03 by Stoneage.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: June 23, 2018 06:26

grzegorz67
Deltics
grzegorz67
vertigojoe
Maradona. Best ever .

Most informed opinion agrees that they were the best team ever. And they were far from a 1 man team with many huge talents in it other than Pele himself.

Brazil 82 was a stunning side, too talented really, they should have cleaned up in that tournament. Rossi shouldn't have been even playing the dodgy cheat. Actually that World Cup was full of villains, Schumacher the German Keeper practically decapitating Battiston in the semi [www.youtube.com]

and the Austria v West Germany game was criminal theft of Algeria's place in the 2nd round

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: June 23, 2018 08:40

Stoneage
Swiss team? It was a Balkan derby really. One Serb and two Kosovar Albanians scored. I hope the two Kosovar Albanians who made political gestures will be punished by FIFA. It's not allowed.
Neither is ripping of your shirt and showing your muscles to the audience. And one might wonder: Why play for one country if your heart is dedicated to another?

No it's a swiss team. We did the sign (double eagle) here in Switzerland also and I am swiss with swiss roots (maybe 100 years back). Even the captain did and his roots are also swiss. Reason: provocations of serbian media. Serbian fans booing our national anthem, Our boys with Kosova roots were booed during the whole match. A lot of pressure. Yes it was not sooo fine but a reasonable reaction. Emotions you know. We love our boys, it does not matter where they were born. They play for Switzerland and also love their roots. That's ok and honest. Some here have T Shirts with both..swiss cross and albanic eagle, specially during last european championship. So I am also a fan of Switzerland 2 (Albania 1 - mostly players grown in Switzerland). But now Switzerland 1 (Albania 2) is playing. Good luck. It's great to have two teams. "Multikulti" at its best has some advantages you know.

Date: June 23, 2018 09:14

I hear you, mariannerl. Of course one can have different views about this. It was the same with Les Bleus I guess. A multicultural team also. And Team Sweden and many other Western European teams.
I'm sure the Kosovar Albanian born players will be reprimanded though. In some way or another.

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: June 23, 2018 09:22

Stoneage
I hear you, mariannerl. Of course one can have different views about this. It was the same with Les Bleus I guess. A multicultural team also. And Team Sweden and many other Western European teams.
I'm sure the Kosovar Albanian born players will be reprimanded though. In some way or another.

I agree with you it was not the fine way. Maybe a little stupid thing....öhm

Date: June 23, 2018 09:41

yes, a little stupid, but understandable, as Mariannerl explained. btw the swiss players were all raised and formed in Switzerland, Shaqiri and Xhaka both speak the brightest swiss german possible (Behrami is from the italian speaking part of Switzerland). They are Swiss, but their families and roots are Kosova.

Les Bleus, Team Sweden, and especially Germany and many more like Australia, Belgium etc, are all multicultural, with players from different origins, different skins, different cultural roots.

resotele

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 23, 2018 10:04

Regarding the French national football team: many of their black players are, ethnically, Senegalese. Zidane, of course, was of an Algerian background. The English team has black players from Nigerian, Ghanien and Caribbean backgrounds. It is what it is. They all hold the passport of the nation they chose to represent. Anyone who thinks this is unacceptable is very out of touch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-23 10:06 by Big Al.

Date: June 23, 2018 11:08

Stoneage
Neither is ripping off your shirt and showing your muscles to the audience. And one might wonder: Why play for one country if your heart is dedicated to another?

Oops.. Is this how you see it?

People have different backgrounds all over the world, Sweden included. Nothing is better than this being reflected in our national teams as well, imo.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: June 23, 2018 12:33

Usually only come here for the Stones, love the Footy World Cup but dont normally comment on things non Stones here, any way here goes

I'm Welsh through and through..cut me in half and it will say - yep, he's Welsh!.. however I will always support England (except when Wales play them-of course, especially in Rugby..grinning smiley) Whilst it is a laugh and a joke to rib each other for our minute differences I will always consider the English as Blood Brothersthumbs up..hey, I even married one of them..to which I will be eternally greatful !!
Though some may tell you different, we are all part of a bigger community called United Kingdom/ Great Britain ..I prefer United rather than Great..but hey ho!

Don't really understand the 'Political Rivalary' that exists between football fans..I get the 'Friendly Rivalary' and the 'Neighbourly Banter' but at a loss to the rest of the stuff that goes on.
It's only a game..(sits in crouch position waiting for in comming)

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Date: June 23, 2018 13:04

grzegorz67
vertigojoe
Maradona. Best ever .

Yeah but Diego had a raging coke habit to think about.

Date: June 23, 2018 19:09

Belgium even better than expected (I had 3 : 1)

resotele

Date: June 23, 2018 19:14

Yep, resotele. I guess hardly anyone could foresee that one. I had 2-0. You're still in the lead! Lonely at the top?
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-23 19:29 by Stoneage.

Date: June 23, 2018 19:24

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Oops.. Is this how you see it?

People have different backgrounds all over the world, Sweden included. Nothing is better than this being reflected in our national teams as well, imo.

It was more of a principal argument, Dandy. I'm not questioning multiculturalism per se. If you're representing one country you shouldn't celebrate with another country. That's my argument.
After all, both these players could have chosen to represent Kosovo in the first place. But they chose not to. Anyway this is reported to the FIFA. Let's leave it there and go back to the football instead.

Date: June 23, 2018 19:53

Stoneage
Yep, resotele. I guess hardly anyone could foresee that one. I had 2-0. You're still in the lead! Lonely at the top?
[www.youtube.com]

Not lonely at all, step by step with you, and the others on the heels ....

Date: June 23, 2018 20:03

Mexico - South Korea 2-1. Mexico in a very good position now with 6 points after 2 games. Sweden to meet Germany now. I have predicted 2-0 to Germany.
Which is the logical result whatever the Swedish media will tell you. Anything else is dreaming.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home