Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 29
Re: OT: The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: July 3, 2018 23:53

WOW!!!! just WOW!!! THAT was a fun match to watch!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 3, 2018 23:53

In your face, Columbia!!!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 3, 2018 23:54

Hate a game ending this way ……………but you done it England.

Bring on Sweden in next round. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-03 23:59 by crawdaddy.

Date: July 4, 2018 00:02

crawdaddy
Hate a game ending this way ……………but you done it England.

Come on Sweden in next round. thumbs up

Likewise, but I don't care; we're through! We were owed this. Time and time again we fail; but not this tournament! E-N-G-L-A-N-D!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 4, 2018 00:02

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 00:06

tonight I don't know who deserved to win but England did it.

Congrats also to Colombia who showed a tough opposition.

Date: July 4, 2018 00:12

jpasc95

The conduct of the Colombians was absolutely disgraceful. England deserved this! Enjoy your flight back to South America, guys!

Date: July 4, 2018 00:28

Sweden will win against overrated england. Not a good team.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 4, 2018 00:32

Colombia gave away England's first goal. You can't do Greco-Roman wrestling on corner kicks. How stupid are the Colombian defenders? Kane knows how to take advantage of this. And so he did.
The English team, overall, didn't impress me. They looked about the same as they usually do. The Colombian team looked very undisciplined. I hope swedish defenders won't do the same stupid mistake as Colombia did.

Date: July 4, 2018 00:33

PaintMonkeyManBlack

I haven't seen a decent team yet.

Date: July 4, 2018 00:35

PaintMonkeyManBlack

Do one, will ya?

Date: July 4, 2018 00:37

TheflyingDutchman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

I haven't seen a decent team yet.

Come on, TFD. France did well against Argentina. And Brazil looks pretty good. Uruguay have two really good strikers. The rest is pretty bland however. I agree with that.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 4, 2018 00:40

Congratulations to England. A great game and a well deserved win.

Bjornulf

Date: July 4, 2018 00:43

Come on, BV. Did you watch the game? A great game? Decent at best. Never great. Did we watch the same game?

Date: July 4, 2018 00:45

Stoneage
Come on, BV. Did you watch the game? A great game? Decent at best. Never great. Did we watch the same game?

BV, knows. He's rooting for us

Date: July 4, 2018 00:47

I guess so, Al. Better to keep a low profile then. Suddenly I changed my mind. It was a great game. No doubt about it!

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 4, 2018 00:49

Hey Big Al congrats tonight fair play .Not even as a Scot could I condone Columbia. Tonight was a result for football If that lot had got through It would have been unjust and a poor reflection on sportsmanship . Jeez I must be going soft. But I have my eye on the next rounds. See you soon.

Date: July 4, 2018 00:54

I guess it's pretty simple. When your team wins it doesn't matter if it was a great game or not. Only the result counts. 24 teams out, 8 teams still in. Great or not...

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 00:57

England looked strong out of the gate then faded, seems to be the pattern. THey don;t look like a team that can win it all.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 4, 2018 01:07

Stoneage

I was in my hotel in Prague and watched the game. There was me and my friend from Norway, plus dozens of tourists from Bolivia. The tourists were silent for 90 minutes and they did have one moment of joy when the corner kick went into a goal. For the rest of the game Columbia was obstructing the play in a destructive way and did not play offensive football as I see it.

I saw every minute of the game. I am not a fan of any teams. I am from Norway and we are the only country in the world who play our football series from spring to fall, also now, during the World Championship, because at winter times we have three feet of snow and ice everywhere. That is why we are better at winter sports than anything that is happening without ice or snow.

Still, I can see a team collecting a bunch of yellow cards and obstruct the offensive play in such a way that football gets ugly. Norway did the same in the 90's, when we had the football professor Drillo playing world leading devensive football which made us top ten in the FIFA ranking. But did we play great football? NO! It was boring destructive football which did only survive because you can use the football rules in such a way that a 100% defensive organized team may kill any great game.

England did great. They did not get any playing goal. They got a penalty goal by Harry Kane. Columbia got a number of yellow cards. A large number. They played like rebels, Out Of Control could be their signature song. Even Iceland could hold England to a 1-1 but we saw it all who was the best team in the end.

The headline in the leading newspaper aftenposten.no in Norway is saying this today:

England videre etter straffedrama:
– Det største, styggeste spøkelset er borte

Google translate:

England winning following penalty drama
"The biggest ugliest ghost is gone

Seriously, I did not see anything creative from Columbia, but they were very good at damaging the game. Is that what football is all about? Well may be if you don't love football, if you love a team. But I don't care about teams. I love the great game of football, regardless of what team is playing it. I would rather see a team loosing 3-4 than winning 1-0 in overtime.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-04 01:13 by bv.

Date: July 4, 2018 01:16

Okey, BV. Fair enough. I agree with much of what you say here. You're wrong on one account though: "I am from Norway and we are the only country in the world who play our football series from spring to fall,...".
We play the same pattern in Sweden namely (and I'm sure they do in Iceland and Finland as well). But that is just details, you don't have to answer back on that one.

Date: July 4, 2018 01:37

Tonstone, I was partly joshing, of course. My maternal great grandparents were Glaswegian! The Tartan Army will march again!

My maternal grandfather's ashes weee scatterd at Stirling Castle. He was in the Highland Regiment. Strong Scottish roots, here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-04 01:41 by Big Al.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 4, 2018 01:41

JN99
England looked strong out of the gate then faded, seems to be the pattern. THey don;t look like a team that can win it all.

In fairness, unlike previous World Cups where the fans and media hype up England's chances only to be disappointed, very few people before this tournament gave them much of a chance of doing well, as its a young and inexperienced team.

If anything they've probably already overachieved considering how poorly they performed at the last World Cup and in Euro 2016.

A major reason why people are now getting excited is because whilst its been an enjoyable tournament, its pretty evident that there are no really outstanding teams in it and they're all quite beatable. Theyve as good a chance as almost anyone else.

Out of the eight sides left in the tournament the only three who would have been thought of as serious contenders at the start are Brazil, Belgium and France.

France, if anyone, still look to be the team to beat for me.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 4, 2018 01:43

Congrats to England!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 4, 2018 01:46

Stoneage
Okey, BV. Fair enough. I agree with much of what you say here. You're wrong on one account though: "I am from Norway and we are the only country in the world who play our football series from spring to fall,...".
We play the same pattern in Sweden namely (and I'm sure they do in Iceland and Finland as well). But that is just details, you don't have to answer back on that one.

The Republic of Ireland's league does the same. I think a few other European leagues do too. Mostly Scandinavian ones though, as you suggest. Russia takes a three month mid season break over the winter!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 02:11

i am from scotland and we dont take part in world cups any more.

so my view of any team that qualifies is impartial.

heres a few opinions.

some of the football in this world cup has been very pedestrian, denmark, croatia, even brazil occasionally.

belgium v japan was a good watch, belgium just about deserving the win.

sweden v switzerland was almost as bad as denmark v croatia. only towards the end when the swiss knew they were going out did they get the finger out and push for a goal, the finishing in this game was terrible at times, as it has in other games.

columbia, a disgrace tonight, if only they stuck to football they might have won cos they came good in extra time and can play. england, cant score in 120minutes from open play against anyone decent, thats a worry. no doubt england did deserve the win though as columbia should have been down to 10men.

this world cup is so unpredictable, any one can win, i hope the winner comes from the top half of the draw.

also too much praise is being given for players who score penalties, harry kane 6 goals etc, great stuff really but why compare to players of the past, how many england players from the past got the chance to take 3 penalties in one tournament.

o and my last moan, neymar, your a disgrace to football and the world knows, stick to playing the game and leave the rolls to grieggs.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 06:26

Funny how some of you guys didn't even know the name of the country you're talking of. And of course "Benland" didn't do much in 120 minutes to win

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-04 06:38 by dandelion1967.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 09:06

Big Al
jpasc95

The conduct of the Colombians was absolutely disgraceful. England deserved this! Enjoy your flight back to South America, guys!
I didn't say England stole their victory.
I said that, imo, it was a balanced game, more than expected.

yes it's true that some Colombians did not have a good game spirit but I also heard and read that the American ref was not impartial all the time.

Date: July 4, 2018 12:18

Okey, my personal ranking of the teams left. All based on form and games overall:

1) France - If they can play like they did against Argentina, so...
2) Brazil - changes tempo well. Good inside and outside the penalty box.
3) Uruguay - two very effective strikers in Suarez and Cavani.
4) Belgium
5) Croatia
6) Sweden
7) England
8) Russia

Clearly the first four teams are in the better group. The four latter teams all stand
a very good chance of making it to the final without facing too stiff competition.
Chances will probably never come better than this...

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: July 4, 2018 12:32

my ranking is a little bit different :

France - If they can play like they did against Argentina, so... true

Brazil and Belgium : different, but both equally strong

Uruguay - two very effective strikers in Suarez and Cavani... true

Croatia - maybe stronger than Uruguay; Rakitic and Modric are a dream team

and the ranking between Sweden, England and Russia is very difficult, I think England has more quality than Sweden, but Sweden is very well organised, and they don't lose their gameplan (defence, no creativity) easily. Russia plays at home and may be carried a long way ...

The first half of the tableau is much stronger than the second half, so the most promising games are the quater finals Belgium - Brasil and France - Uruguay

resotele

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2028
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home