Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T: IORRian cycling up Alpe d'Huez 10 times in 24hrs to raise funds for Blood Cancer charity, MND/ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, Lifeboats & Veterans' charities...needs help!
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 19, 2018 14:59

Hello,

It's almost that silly season again (no, I don't mean The Stones out on tour) when I attempt a fairly ill-advised cycling challenge in the hope of raising money for a deserving cause or two. Last year's 16 day trek from Seattle to San Diego raised over £5000...a lot of which was down to IORRians. A BIG thanks to you!

IMG_1494 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

In 2014 we cycled up Mont Ventoux six times in 24 hours, which was a fairly big day out, so I had the bright idea of trying something similar on Le Tour's most famous mountain, the 21 hairpins of Alpe d'Huez. After extensive research (well, Google) the greatest number of ascents we could find completed in a day was eight: you can bet people have done more, so we rounded-up the challenge to try to complete ten ascents in 24 hours!

The date for this folly will be Wednesday 18th July, and the pros in LeTour will ride up it considerably quicker the next day. Just hope that I'm finished by then...

images (1) by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

The stats not only look awful, they are awful, hah-hah! Almost 35,000 feet of climbing in 75 miles with the average gradient being 8.6%. Just to compare it with the previous stupidity, this the equivalent of seven Ventouxs! Er, any idea what 'awful' is in French? There is one positive- at least it'll be difficult to get lost...

CossRIUUIAAXlVL by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

So why am I bothering you with all this? Well, it would be terrific to raise funds for five Good Causes: if you can donate a little, then all of your money will be split between these five charities like this:

Bloodwise (32%), Blesma (17%), Motor Neurone Disease Association (17%), Royal National Lifeboat Institution (17%) and Multiple Sclerosis Society (17%).

So why those particular charities? Okay then...

Bloodwise is because you might remember that on the last day of 2017's ride from Seattle to San Diego, my mate Geoff told me that he had been diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. That was September. Well, as of January this year he has been in remission...wow! Let nobody tell you that funding research is a waste: Geoff's treatment was no cake-walk by any stretch, but the advances made over even five years ago meant a faster, more accurate and less unpleasant course of treatment. Worth my money, defo!

Blesma is the only national Armed Forces Charity that supports limbless veterans for the duration of their lives. They help all serving and ex-Service men and women who have lost limbs or eyes, to rebuild their lives by providing rehabilitation activities and welfare support. Gets my vote. Yours too?

The Multiple Sclerosis Society is a community of people living with MS and also researchers, fundraisers, campaigners and volunteers. They make a real difference but need resources!

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution is amazing, full stop! Staffed by the bravest volunteers 24 hours a day, whether it's onshore, offshore, beaches or even flood rescue. Let's support them...

The Motor Neurone Disease Association improve care and support for people with MND, their families and carers. They also fund and promote research that leads to new understanding and treatments, and brings us closer to a cure for MND. Let's send them a little help!

Please CLICK ON THIS LINK...thank you!

I hope that you agree that they are all worth supporting? I'll donate £50 for every climb that I complete. To be brutally honest, this challenge is a bit extreme and it's very far from certain that I can do it. The last time we climbed it in 2015, the temperature was over 40c.

So that's the pitch, folks. It's a good train so let's get on it...bless you!

20140032_10155670314523243_7938378083441827888_n by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

If you can spare the price of a glass of wine, a decent coffee or a pint (or even better, all three!) then please click on the link below...

hh by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

Thanks for indulging me with this: BV has kindly allowed this O/T...I hope that it doesn't annoy or upset any IORRians: you really are a very generous bunch!

imauuuges by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

All the best and thanks a bundle...enjoy the rest of the tour!

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Simon.

IMG_0031 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

20861895_1563790723683956_5866034277037168819_o by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

ps I'm keeping the standard, shoddy blog going at [allezalpe.blogspot.com]

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-01 09:39 by SimonN.

Re: O/T: IORRian cycling up Alpe d'Huez 10 times in 24hrs to raise funds for blood cancer, MND, ALS, Lifeboats & Veterans' charities...needs help!
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 19, 2018 15:06

Funnily enough, I was watching the World Cup last night, they mentioned a couple of lunatic England fans who had cycled all the way to Volgograd to raise money for charity - and I thought of you...

Re: O/T: IORRian cycling up Alpe d'Huez 10 times in 24hrs to raise funds for blood cancer, MND, ALS, Lifeboats & Veterans' charities...needs help!
Date: June 19, 2018 16:45

Hi Brenda,

I watched the match too and heard that piece in commentary too, hah-hah-hah!

I did have a chuckle myself...I mean, who would be that daft? No, no answer required thanks!

Cheers,

Simon.

ps a great big thank you to Mr Chris Lehourites for a.n.other super-generous donation. Appreciate it, Sir!

Re: O/T: IORRian cycling up Alpe d'Huez 10 times in 24hrs to raise funds for blood cancer, MND/ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, Lifeboats & Veterans' charities...needs help!
Date: June 20, 2018 02:56

The link in your post doesn't work for me: Page Not Found.

Re: O/T: IORRian cycling up Alpe d'Huez 10 times in 24hrs to raise funds for blood cancer, MND/ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, Lifeboats & Veterans' charities...needs help!
Date: June 20, 2018 09:10

Hi B.,

I can't thank you enough for pointing that (un)believably dumb mistake out: all because of a missing 's': I should be making it a easy as possible for folks to donate, not impossible!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: June 20, 2018 15:45

Hi Green Lady,

A thousand thank-yous yet again for sponsoring me so generously yet again, Brenda.

It really is a big gee-up, so good on you!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 21, 2018 16:23

Best of luck, Simon.

Will make a contribution soon, after i count how much i spent on 3 concerts. >grinning smiley<

Re: O/T: IORRian cycling up Alpe d'Huez 10 times in 24hrs to raise funds for Blood Cancer charity, MND/ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, Lifeboats & Veterans' charities...needs help!
Date: June 21, 2018 17:15

Hi Mike,

That's great to hear and much appreciated: I 'only' did Manch and Edinburgh but I know where you're coming from, hah-hah!

Seriously, I was thrilled at how well the guys played...defo a step-up from years past.

While we're here, a great big thank you to guitar maestro Dandelion Powderman for a.n.other super-generous donation...good on you, B.!

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T: IORRian cycling up Alpe d'Huez 10 times in 24hrs to raise funds for Blood Cancer charity, MND/ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, Lifeboats & Veterans' charities...needs help!
Date: June 22, 2018 08:58

SimonN
Hi Mike,

That's great to hear and much appreciated: I 'only' did Manch and Edinburgh but I know where you're coming from, hah-hah!

Seriously, I was thrilled at how well the guys played...defo a step-up from years past.

While we're here, a great big thank you to guitar maestro Dandelion Powderman for a.n.other super-generous donation...good on you, B.!

Cheers,

Simon.

I couldn't believe how well they played at coventry and having kind of persuaded around 18 family & friends to go, it was a pleasure watching their faces as the stones were playing.

Edinburgh and especially Cardiff was off the scale.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 22, 2018 09:55

Fantastic, congratulations ! Just great.
Due to personal reasons, I'm a huge fan of Joaquim Agostinho, who won at the Alpe d'Huez during 1979 Tour de France spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Love cycling.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-22 09:56 by powerage78.

Date: June 25, 2018 14:23

Hi Powerage78,

Great to hear! We haven't done the dirty deed yet: we're aiming for Weds 18th July, which is the day before Le Tour finish their stage up L'Alpe!

While we're here, a massive THANK YOU and a shout-out to Mr. Erik Engholm and the splendid Odean73 (nice one Mike) for sponsoring/donating so generously!

[uk.virginmoneygiving.com]

It really is appreciated by both me and the five charities, so good on you both.

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: July 4, 2018 09:22

Hello,

Well that was a bizarre way to follow an England match, hah-hah! Fuggin' well done on breaking the penalty curse at long last too.

Now you might think that I'd be above trying to exploit any residual 'feel good' factor amongst all you superbly generous and lovely England fans. If you did think that, then I'm here to tell you that I really am *that* shallow, hah-hah!

Got the usual shoddy blog up-and-running here: [allezalpe.blogspot.com]

Please forgive this shameless bump folks!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: July 12, 2018 16:04

Hello,

And if you're in need of a post-WC England-exit pick-me-up, then you're probably better off looking elsewhere, hah-hah! That said, I do love this photo and I bet you do as well!

37046601_2084168491596270_141288738817835008_n (1) by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

In other news, a mahoosive thank you to Guess Who and Silver Dagger for top, top donations! We're now just over half-way to the total of £2100, so that is brilliant stuff and a big boost!

Latest blog nonsense can be found HERE

In the meantime...gotta pack and then start drivin' south tomorrow after an early shift. Will bother y'all again over the weekend: have a good one!

If you do have a couple of shekels going spare, please lob them in here to help the Fantastic Five!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: July 27, 2018 19:54

Bonsoir mes IORRians,

Sorry that I haven't updated this earlier but it's been full-on this last few days. To cut a long story short, I failed in the attempt. The best I could manage was eight ascents, and we were not allowed to ride on The Alpe between 2100 and 0630 because workmen are putting out so many barriers down the mountain! This was a first: no-one knew about it until the day came.

That said, in case you feel short-changed let me promise you that it is a git of a climb...temperatures got up to 38c, hah-hah! The tale of the saga can be read at [allezalpe.blogspot.com] and has a couple of nice photos if nothing else.

A big thank you to Adrian-L for donating too...we have raised almost £3700 for five great causes so it looks like I owe a few more beers, hah-hah!

Thanks to Bjornulf for allowing this most O/T of topics too- I appreciate it.

All my best,

Simon.

ps I had a nice boost on one of the climbs when I spied Mr. Juan Antonio Flecha by the roadside: just the nicest chap!

IMG_1632 (1) by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

Date: July 27, 2018 19:58

OK, I want 20% of my donation back!

Seriously, very well done indeed Simon.

Date: July 27, 2018 20:04

Hi B.,

That gave me a chuckle! Thank you for supporting yet again!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: July 28, 2018 16:03

Sorry to read you did not accomplish your mission, Simon.

I know you must be gutted, but nothing can take away your endeavour and of course all the charities that will benefit.thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home