Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13
Re: Twickenham London UK 19-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 20, 2018 08:40

I noticed in one of the crowd pictures, that people were holding the plastic stones beakers, i take it that these beakers were on sale?

Did not see any at the three concerts i went to.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 20, 2018 08:44

Fantastic show.
Gets my vote for best of the four I saw.
Cardiff was fantastic, but this show had emotion for the band that you could feel.

On bus to heathrow now.
SOOO Glad I booked a room right in Twickenham (!!) what a mess leaving there.

Have a good flight home Sarah/35 love..
What a show!!- Mike

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 20, 2018 08:57

odean73
I noticed in one of the crowd pictures, that people were holding the plastic stones beakers, i take it that these beakers were on sale?

It's a Twickenham thing. They did them for the Rugby World Cup too - pay £2 up front at the bar, keep getting it refilled and at the end of the night you can get your £2 refunded or keep it as a souvenir.

Posted by: sister ()
Date: June 20, 2018 09:16

GlimmerGirl24
I apologize for my knee - it just does not have the stamina it had before Lucca. The pain knots up my calf muscles which adds more pain - I just can't stand for more than two songs at a time before the pain becomes severe enough that I can't enjoy the concert. Yesterday, we walked all over London, I took the Stones bus tour today to save my knee - but the walking around Richmond to see Eel Pie and the Crawdaddy Club before walking to the Twick shuttle was too much. When I sit down it's because I have no choice.

I liked Twick better than Cardiff and I thought James Bay was cute. smiling smiley People mentioned sound issues but at the back of the floor between the delay towers - the audio was very good.

It was a nightmare leaving Twick. The cab we had booked to pick us up canceled during the concert. We called an Uber to meet us a couple of blocks away from the stadium at a Toyota dealership. We could not find him - even with a policewoman heading into the traffic looking for him. He then canceled on us. The cabs we found all had people to pick up.

At one point, the first dozen Stones trucks were leaving for Berlin. I called up to one driver and asked if he'd take us to Berlin with him, he said to climb in back. smiling smiley

Around two hours later, asking yet another cab to send back another cab - he took pity on us and flagged down a cab going in the opposite direction. The cab did an u-turn and picked us up. By that time we'd lost a member of our group and the cab driver drove around until we found her.

Other people we know made it onto the shuttles to Richmond and were able to catch trains at the Richmond station until it closed. Most made it as far as the Waterloo station before the tube shutdown for the night and they then had to get cabs.

We made it back to our hotel at 1am and the desk clerk reopened the bar to get us drinks and made us paninis - which we ate in the lobby.

I'm exhausted - onto to Berlin tomorrow.

Your're so brave. Hope, you will find a doctor soon, who helps you. Don't wait too long.Thank you for being there as the one and only Debbie,
Greets from sister

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: June 20, 2018 09:31

Green Lady
odean73

It's a Twickenham thing. They did them for the Rugby World Cup too - pay £2 up front at the bar, keep getting it refilled and at the end of the night you can get your £2 refunded or keep it as a souvenir.

They did this at many venues in 2017. It was the first time I'd noticed it in 2018 but it's possible I just missed them earlier.

syrel

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 20, 2018 09:50

brilliant, brilliant afternoon & evening.

So many friends, so many new memories, so many beers.

Date: June 20, 2018 09:59

Green Lady
odean73

Thanks.

Date: June 20, 2018 10:01

syrel
Green Lady
odean73

They did this at many venues in 2017. It was the first time I'd noticed it in 2018 but it's possible I just missed them earlier.

syrel

I am sure by the time i went to Amsterdam, last year that they was sold out.

I am sure i would have spotted them at Coventry, Edinburgh or Cardiff.

My nephew gave me one a few weeks ago, i think he realised how much i spent on him, taking him to Amsterdam lol.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 20, 2018 10:08

DeanGoodman
BluzDude
I saw a headline that there was an explosion at the Southgate tube station....not sure if this had an affect on the transportation problems getting home.

Unlikely. That's 20 miles away in North London. Twickenham station is a construction zone. There were warnings about it here on IORR as soon as the show was announced*. I walked past it this afternoon and felt relieved I wouldn't have to use it for the show.

* grateful thanks!

You're welcome.

Being a long term resident & now visitor to the town and area I know only too well the problems the construction works are causing.

It's why as soon as the Twickenham date rumours started to circulate in February i posted photos of the station on IORR & i advised you all to book local & not London accommodation.
Safe travels to you all for the rest of the tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 10:09 by Adrian-L.

Date: June 20, 2018 10:27

Cristiano Radtke
Beast of Burden

Bitch

That BOB was excellent! Really, really great thumbs up

EDIT: Loved Bitch, too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 10:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 20, 2018 10:34

This tour is such a pleasure for me; albeit at a far distance and just getting fans vids along the way. After the last U.S. tour, and also some subsequent shows, I was dismayed, even after having 'adjusted' my expectations in the face of natural aging, especially into their 70's. I had seen them in their 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's I guess; but none too recently.

They sound, even with all those echoey, hard to make out, fan vids (some are fantastic!!), just really so much more crisp. Jags at Cardiff was ferocious, right from the opening, which was really exciting. They picked themselves up, have a super great stage that is crisp, not the huge, for me distracting, stage set-ups of 'steel wheels era' infamy.

And good ole Mick is all over it; sounding every bit as fresh as ever, (soulful and forceful, I don't make that observation lightly, he sounds effin great!!!! which is amazing and appreciated. Keith sounds and seems considerably more together. He's cool personified, holding his 'keithness' in the face of the same kinds of shame and criticism that he heaps on his best buddie there, lol.
The band sounds re-invigorated and I didn't think this would happen. It was getting embarassing. They more than pulled it off this tour. Good tidings for things to come. I think you'd have to call this tour a triumph. Chuck is considerably less plinky and intrusive imo; or maybe after forty years I'm starting to not be so offended by him, lol. And he is pretty faithfully playing Nicky's inventive, lovely parts with confidence and some passion.
...but oh yeh, turn up the bass. eye popping smiley . (Never forgettin' Taylor, Wyman, Hopkins, Jones, Stu, Bobby etc...every show, can't help that and don't want to!) (part of the big fun is the glorious and ragged history of it all).

I'm such a sucker fan I even re-play Mick singing Happy Birthday to the Wembly Whammer a few times. Keith's little mini-sets show him really present. Some really excellent, heart-warming versions of YGTS along the way; it had become a 'piss break' throwaway to me. Keith is 'present,' it seems to me. Really feeling it and putting it down. Ron sounds great on acoustic with him. I'm lovin' it. Coventry just one example of him putting that one down w soul imo. The Rolling Stones are proving their mettle way into their 70's. Mick's wailing that harp on LARS. I'm loving his voice and performances this tour. Lovin' it.
smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 10:51 by hopkins.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 20, 2018 10:37

Great band, great sound, great fans.

I really enjoyed it, and that Midnight Rambler with the Come On In My Kitchen quote was brilliant. I was right near the front in Gold Circle, and actually sang along with Come On In My Kitchen, to which someone said "How'd you know that ?", "Robert Johnson: 1930s" said I, and Performance too.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 20, 2018 11:06

strange - according to the Stones twitter account Sweet Virginia won the song vote!

Date: June 20, 2018 11:20

The band were brilliant and quality from start to finish. The venue is a parcel of *****. If they took half of the jobsworth "security" tossers and put them in bar duty they would be doing everyone a favour. There were still ten dep at the bars during the encore! Terrible.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 20, 2018 11:37

slewan
strange - according to the Stones twitter account Sweet Virginia won the song vote!

They always pick and choose. As much of a real vote as in North Korea, eh? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 11:38 by Topi.

Date: June 20, 2018 11:38

Topi
slewan

They always pick and choose. As much of a real vote as in North Korea, eh? winking smiley

Even that evidently? smiling smiley

Posted by: samMuc ()
Date: June 20, 2018 11:41

slewan

This is just the result of the Twitter Poll. As stated in the post.

"This poll is being conducted across all the Stones social media & app and results will be totalled to give the winning song."

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 20, 2018 11:50

strat72
Ladies and Gentlemen....... Twickenham is one absolute dirty bastard of a venue, and the last time we were there for a gig we promised ourselves that we would never go back to that sorry excuse of a shithole ever again. How they even get a licence to put on a major event with that station in the state that it is is beyond me. Perhaps it might be different this time we told ourselves. Was it bollocks.....

Only one band could tempt us back, and we know who they are don't we? Could they though? I guess you could say I'm a bit of a cynical fan of the boys these last few years. Certainly not as cynical as some on here, but neither do I support them with a blind loyalty like others might support their local football team. I'm prone to call them "Greedy Avaricious Old goats" amongst other things, and we had not been to see them play since The O2 in 2012. Did we really want to see them play SFTD, with that wretched backing track again? As it turned out we did, but we didn't want to pay the extortionate amount required to get us near the stage, so we did what we always do for overpriced gigs. We waited till the day of the concert and picked up tickets on the cheap. Trust me, this always works. Two tickets in the Gold Circle for £280.00. Happy days.....

I thought James Bay and his band made a decent enough noise, not really my cup of tea, but nice enough. However, the only problem with standing tickets is that my back can give out, and midway through his set I started to feel some sharp discomfort in the spinal region, and the even less welcome sensation of shooting pains running down the back of my legs. Would I survive the gig?

I loved the look of the stage, and when The Stones took to it with SFM, I must say that right from the off they blew me away. My immediate impression was that they were very loud, the guitars ear-splittingly so. This was most welcome, and before long I was tapping my foot, then bobbing my head, and before I knew it, I was dancing and all thoughts of a bad back could f**k off.

I read a review of The Stones a few weeks ago that said that when they play they sound like they could fall apart at any minute. They do sound this way, and this is something that I have always loved about them. Live Rock N Roll should sound like it's alive. The noise The Stones make seems to live and breath and take on a life of it's own. The way that sound seems to shift about is for me one of the most magical things about them. They still have a certain ragged sound to them. The most Rock N ROLL sounding of all Rock N ROLL bands. Emphasis on the Roll.

Jagger is a master of his craft, and can still work a stadium like no other I have seen.

Keith is looking remarkably content and healthy, and sounding good. People say he makes mistakes, he does, but hasn't he always? I thought he was fantastic.

Ronnie? The joker in the pack who is always mucking about and up for a laugh. Ready to break into a pose at any given minute. I have rarely been as impressed with Ron as much as I was tonight.

Charlie still swings, and he is the main reason you can dance to this music. I read on this site a few weeks ago that he was finished. Whoever said that is very much mistaken.

We were standing behind a 13/14 year old boy who was with his Dad. We got the distinct impression that this kid did not want to be there. Whinging he was, loudly, especially when his old man rightfully took away his phone which he didn't lift his eyes up from throughout James Bay's set. He reminded me a little of myself at my first Stones gig in 1990. The only reason I went is because I loved hanging out with my Uncle and his friends so much. Didn't give much thought to the band he was taking me to see, but I do remember him telling me that I might not get another chance to see them. I didn't much care, I was just happy to be with him. However, they amazed me that night, and in truth, they still do 28 years later. By the time the band finished what seemed like a never-ending Satisfaction that kid had a inane grin on his face, much the same as me all those years back. The magic of The Stones right there.

As we walked the long haul back to Richmond station we cut through The Old Deer car park and past what was once The Crawdaddy Club at the back of The Old Station Hotel. We were amused that all these hundreds of Stones fans seemed to have no idea what they were walking past, even though Jagger had spoken of it during the gig. Perhaps they just didn't care, but I did, because regardless of all my gripes, I still love The Stones, and tonight I really wanted them to prove something to me. They did......

So if you have not been fortunate enough to catch the band on this leg of their latest tour, and the only way to get your fix has been through a video that has been filmed with a device that has all the sonic recording ability of a potato. Do not fret......

The Rolling Stones are still the greatest Rock N Roll band in the world.

What a lovely review! Thanks for sharing thumbs up!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 20, 2018 12:16

odean73

On Ebay already.......[www.ebay.co.uk]

Saves a few quid on the after show clean up too...on the way out I only saw two plastic cups on the floor (non stones)...................In Dublin, with just plain plastic 'bottles' and 'glasses' there were thousands..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 12:40 by EddieByword.

Posted by: samMuc ()
Date: June 20, 2018 12:39

We had those Cups in Germany last year. There was also black version. I hope we will get them this year, too.
Yellow and Black Stones Cup

Date: June 20, 2018 12:40

EddieByword
odean73

On Ebay already.......[www.ebay.co.uk]

thumbs updrinking smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 20, 2018 12:40

I went last night with my three children (8, 8 and 5) and we all had a blast! I thought the energy level was a little low at first, but as we headed toward sundown they cranked it up, and by the halfway point they were playing at a blistering level. For me, the highlights were BoB and BTMMR.

A few observations - Satisfaction seemed to end, Ronnie had taken his guitar off, but then it kind of bubbled back up again (thanks to Charlie and Keef, I believe) and they played another minute or so. Is this what happened? Anyone else got a different take on this?

Also, what about Keith's little speech, during his set (I think), he kind of mumbled something... then there was a long pause, and then said 'ok, well, let's get on with the show' (paraphrase). From where I was standing, it seemed like he was feeling a little emotional about a (perhaps) final gig in London... Or maybe I'm a sentimental ol fool, and it was just a little dementia. Whaddya think?

One more observation - my wife, who is 40, observed that half the audience were younger than her, and half were older. It was a younger crowd than I had been expecting. (and my children were far from the only ones there)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 12:43 by peoplewitheyes.

Date: June 20, 2018 12:43

samMuc
We had those Cups in Germany last year. There was also black version. I hope we will get them this year, too.

A red version as well?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 20, 2018 12:44

peoplewitheyes
I went last night with my three children (8, 8 and 5) and we all had a blast! I thought the energy level was a little low at first, but as we headed toward sundown they cranked it up, and by the halfway point they were playing at a blistering level. For me, the highlights were BoB and BTMMR.

A few observations - Satisfaction seemed to end, Ronnie had taken his guitar off, but then it kind of bubbled back up again (thanks to Charlie and Keef, I believe) and they played another minute or so. Is this what happened? Anyone else got a different take on this?

Also, what about Keith's little speech, during his set (I think), he kind of mumbled something... then there was a long pause, and then said 'ok, well, let's get on with the show' (paraphrase). From where I was standing, it seemed like he was feeling a little emotional about a (perhaps) final gig in London... Or maybe I'm a sentimental ol fool, and it was just a little dementia. Whaddya think?

Personally I didn't see Ron take his guitar off, although of course he might have.....but they definitely restarted ...............

Date: June 20, 2018 12:44

peoplewitheyes

One more observation - my wife, who is 40, observed that half the audience were younger than her, and half were older. It was a younger crowd than I had been expecting. (and my children were far from the only ones there)

He does that on every show smiling smiley

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 20, 2018 13:04

I thought it was Charlie taking a signal from Mick who restarted satisfaction

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 13:04 by EJM.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 20, 2018 13:05

EddieByword
peoplewitheyes

Personally I didn't see Ron take his guitar off, although of course he might have.....but they definitely restarted ...............

They got to the end of what was already a very long Satisfaction - the fireworks went off, Ronnie took off his guitar and put it down... and Keith and Charlie started the riff up again. Mick joined in and Ronnie was playing his guitar with the strap hanging loose while they carried on for another minute or so.

Agreed that the show didn't really wake up properly until it started to get dark: it was Sympathy that really got the crowd moving in my part of the venue. After that it was non-stop. Not that the earlier stuff wasn't great - the opening one-two of SFM/IORR in particular.

Memories: Keith and Ronnie having a little dance, arm in arm, to Darryl's bass during Miss You: yet another fantastic Rambler: Mick doing the usual anyone-here-from-local-places routine, asking "anyone here from TUNISIA?" And what was it (a flag?) that somebody gave Ronnie down on the catwalk during Miss You, that he took back to the main stage draped over the guitar?

Strat72 has it right: the noise the Stones make is alive, and seeing them work and move and have their being in the middle of it is a great privilege. There's no-one else like them.

Date: June 20, 2018 13:08

DandelionPowderman
samMuc

A red version as well?

I have the black & red one.

Date: June 20, 2018 13:09

Green Lady
EddieByword
peoplewitheyes

They got to the end of what was already a very long Satisfaction - the fireworks went off, Ronnie took off his guitar and put it down... and Keith and Charlie started the riff up again. Mick joined in and Ronnie was playing his guitar with the strap hanging loose while they carried on for another minute or so.

Agreed that the show didn't really wake up properly until it started to get dark: it was Sympathy that really got the crowd moving in my part of the venue. After that it was non-stop. Not that the earlier stuff wasn't great - the opening one-two of SFM/IORR in particular.

Memories: Keith and Ronnie having a little dance, arm in arm, to Darryl's bass during Miss You: yet another fantastic Rambler: Mick doing the usual anyone-here-from-local-places routine, asking "anyone here from TUNISIA?" And what was it (a flag?) that somebody gave Ronnie down on the catwalk during Miss You, that he took back to the main stage draped over the guitar?

Strat72 has it right: the noise the Stones make is alive, and seeing them work and move and have their being in the middle of it is a great privilege. There's no-one else like them.

There is no one like them and we will probably never see the likes again.

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: June 20, 2018 13:18

odean73
Green Lady
EddieByword
peoplewitheyes

There is no one like them and we will probably never see the likes again.

They definitely restarted Satisfaction as noted above,they wouldn’t let it finish last night and played right up to the curfew. Keith said ‘I’m gonna miss you guys’ then was unable to speak. It felt like a pointer but maybe he’s said that elsewhere? A more ‘upmarket’, corporate, ‘eventer’ Crowd than the others, this does affect your perception of the gig, however ultimately it was yet another masterful performance and thoroughly enjoyable. This run of gigs has been better than anyone could have imagined.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home