Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: Twickenham London UK 19-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: June 20, 2018 01:53

Absolute shambles for people heading home. Twickenham station closed, means you have to walk 45' to Hounslow to get a tube. Then you've missed your train home out of London. Bloody disgraceful. Ok for me, staying in Staines Rd tfl should be ashamed.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: June 20, 2018 01:56

I am on a Twickenham to Waterloo train right now

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 20, 2018 02:02

Just got home, but I fear many, many are still trapped in chaos.
I left the stadium just before Satisfaction finished and ran towards Twickenham station. I had already purchased the return ticket to Waterloo, but when I approached the station they said it was closed! So then I ran to Richmond station, 15-20 minutes and reached an underground train before the rush of people from the stadium. Exhausted now, but glad I got back to my hotel before midnight. Hope everyone else get home safely and not too late!

Date: June 20, 2018 02:06

ROPENI
Cristiano Radtke
Short video of Street Fighting Man: [www.instagram.com]

A few years back same song but so much more energy,today's version seems tired and plodding....[youtu.be], and no l wasn't there today so maybe live sounded better,but l don't think so,but hey its 16 years later and they are older....

I was there and the guitars were LOUD and the energy was electrifying!!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 20, 2018 02:08

I saw a headline that there was an explosion at the Southgate tube station....not sure if this had an affect on the transportation problems getting home.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 20, 2018 02:17

BluzDude
I saw a headline that there was an explosion at the Southgate tube station....not sure if this had an affect on the transportation problems getting home.

Unlikely. That's 20 miles away in North London. Twickenham station is a construction zone. There were warnings about it here on IORR as soon as the show was announced*. I walked past it this afternoon and felt relieved I wouldn't have to use it for the show.

* grateful thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 02:26 by DeanGoodman.

Date: June 20, 2018 02:23

Topi
Was good! Made it into Pit A in the end smiling smiley

Sally Wood was there briefly.

Mick's bodyguard gave me a guitar pick at the encores. smiling smiley

Maybe not quite London #1 but a really solid show. Cheers!

Good for you! Pierre de Beuaport walked in PIT B during James Bay's set and I asked him if he had a pick, to which he answered "Actually, I dont!" But he was really friendly nonetheless.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 20, 2018 02:24

Oh boy am I glad we booked a hotel near the venue for tonight.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 20, 2018 02:29

The area is full of bewildered people in Stones shirts trying to find their way on foot to a station with trains. We were told there was no South West trains service at all, not just from Twickenham. People trying to find the Hounslow tube stations using satnav: it's a longish walk even if you're young and fit.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: June 20, 2018 02:33

Sitting with a glass of wine trying to figure out how I will make this flight tomorrow. Will not manage to sleep.

Great gig, they had fun. Setlist... Eh, OK.
Will write one.

I was lucky - I did a "Werchter" (as Dean calls it).
Moved out during Satisfaction, on a bus to Hounslow in 10 min.
I got a warning from friends not there...

But freck it was a fun night. Fhank you!

TE
Oslo

Date: June 20, 2018 02:36

That's horrible Green Lady! It's really a shame that this can actually happen when they organize an event with 80,000 people attending at a venue located far outside the main city were people actually stay.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 20, 2018 02:47

Apparently it's a broken down train at Clapham Junction...

Anyway another good show though James Bay looked a bit lost on Beast of Burden, and I didn't enjoy it so much because my seat was among a bunch of resolute sitter-downers and not so well placed as Cardiff. But the guitars were loud and Satisfaction just went on and on - nobody wanted to stop.

Date: June 20, 2018 02:51

OK, good to hear that it is a "logical" explanation.
I couldn't make sense of it, becuase I asked at Waterloo if trains would be running from Twickenham after the show and they said yes.

And I agree about James Bay. He was really lost up there.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 20, 2018 02:55

Home after 4 mile walk to Kew Gardens where picked up the last train but had a great time nonetheless . The popular vote for best show so far for U.K. tour seems to be Cardiff. Not sure about Ronnie more extravagant style of solo but perhaps personal taste

Date: June 20, 2018 03:00

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 20, 2018 03:01

I got caught up in the travel mess. I caught a Shuttle Bus to Richmond and it took an hour.Missed my coach home to Swindon and I'm due at work tomorrow. Wondering how exactly the hell I'm going to get home. I'll be up all night for sure and will almost certainly have to waste a day's leave.

Bollocks!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 20, 2018 03:02

Hi friends, just checking in, I plan on writing a review for Bjornulf
haven't read thru this thread yet,
just brief saw Dean/ the announcement
‘Unfortunately, mumble mumble mumble’
‘Unfortunately, mumble mumble mumble’
I figured it must be the trains when I came out
50,000 of us exiting together
suddenly I’m in a Lexus car dealership
all of us scraping between cars,
crowd stops
I think I’m trapped, realize I’m suppose to be a street over
yeah, my claustrophobia kicked in real good
nearly had a panic attack
but was able to right myself and get back, safe,
I am so sorry for the fans trying to make it back.

I went thru EVERY range of emotions this show,
nearly bought a pack of cigarettes, haven't smoked in years!
I kept thinking God I want a cigarette!
Nearly did!

Date: June 20, 2018 03:32

James Bay has a very, very good vocal singing voice.
It was a pleasure to hear and watch him sing live and close regardless of the song, for that alone (also his drummer was fun/talent)

Beast of Burden is ‘my’ song. If anyone would be miffed at a guest, it’d be me.
I am NOT. Nor was I with Ed the red headed kid in 2015,
because both were chosen (I believe) for their skills.
I am guessing, that he was not prepared/ rehearsed.
Perhaps Mick made the offer after his set.

I don’t care.

It meant everything to me to get ‘Beast of Burden’ live for my first time.
Keith’s guitar, Ronnie’s guitar,
Mick keeping it going.
THANK YOU.
THANK YOU.

Date: June 20, 2018 03:38

EJM
Home after 4 mile walk to Kew Gardens where picked up the last train but had a great time nonetheless . The popular vote for best show so far for U.K. tour seems to be Cardiff. Not sure about Ronnie more extravagant style of solo but perhaps personal taste

So I wasn't the only one who noticed how incredible Ronnie was tonight?
Honest to God,
‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’
was some of his best guitar work that I’ve heard live.
I am so @#$%& happy for Ronnie.
To be going out on TOP.
Happy, playing his best, carrying the load, SHINING.
Could not happen for a better guy, how hard he had worked his whole life,
surviving everything he’s been through, my God.
Love Ronnie Wood. He is top drawer.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 20, 2018 03:39

Terrible, terrible journey home slightly took the edge of another wonderful show. Although being in the Pit for Coventry and Cardiff has spoiled stands for me. Thought Twickenham was by far the worst stadium organisation of all the shows I went to, even before the transport fiasco. What a tour, though. More tomorrow!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 20, 2018 04:15

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 20, 2018 04:16

Date: June 20, 2018 05:18

The absolutely worst organised transport of any show on the tour by a country mile. My friends, who live near Cambridge, left after Gimme Shelter and were home before midnight.

3.15 am and I'm all alone at the none too salubrious Victoria Coach station, absolutely knackered, hungry and with still 3 hours to wait for the treacle slow coach home.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: June 20, 2018 05:39

grzegorz67
The absolutely worst organised transport of any show on the tour by a country mile. My friends, who live near Cambridge, left after Gimme Shelter and were home before midnight.

3.15 am and I'm all alone at the none too salubrious Victoria Coach station, absolutely knackered, hungry and with still 3 hours to wait for the treacle slow coach home.

I had a @#$%& nightmare getting back to East London so I can empathise. If you have a few hours you should head to the West End you'll find somewhere to get some food at least.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: June 20, 2018 05:42

I apologize for my knee - it just does not have the stamina it had before Lucca. The pain knots up my calf muscles which adds more pain - I just can't stand for more than two songs at a time before the pain becomes severe enough that I can't enjoy the concert. Yesterday, we walked all over London, I took the Stones bus tour today to save my knee - but the walking around Richmond to see Eel Pie and the Crawdaddy Club before walking to the Twick shuttle was too much. When I sit down it's because I have no choice.

I liked Twick better than Cardiff and I thought James Bay was cute. smiling smiley People mentioned sound issues but at the back of the floor between the delay towers - the audio was very good.

It was a nightmare leaving Twick. The cab we had booked to pick us up canceled during the concert. We called an Uber to meet us a couple of blocks away from the stadium at a Toyota dealership. We could not find him - even with a policewoman heading into the traffic looking for him. He then canceled on us. The cabs we found all had people to pick up.

At one point, the first dozen Stones trucks were leaving for Berlin. I called up to one driver and asked if he'd take us to Berlin with him, he said to climb in back. smiling smiley

Around two hours later, asking yet another cab to send back another cab - he took pity on us and flagged down a cab going in the opposite direction. The cab did an u-turn and picked us up. By that time we'd lost a member of our group and the cab driver drove around until we found her.

Other people we know made it onto the shuttles to Richmond and were able to catch trains at the Richmond station until it closed. Most made it as far as the Waterloo station before the tube shutdown for the night and they then had to get cabs.

We made it back to our hotel at 1am and the desk clerk reopened the bar to get us drinks and made us paninis - which we ate in the lobby.

I'm exhausted - onto to Berlin tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-20 05:50 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: June 20, 2018 05:47

It took me 4 hours returning to my accommodation in London, a total mess!

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: June 20, 2018 06:50

Ladies and Gentlemen....... Twickenham is one absolute dirty bastard of a venue, and the last time we were there for a gig we promised ourselves that we would never go back to that sorry excuse of a shithole ever again. How they even get a licence to put on a major event with that station in the state that it is is beyond me. Perhaps it might be different this time we told ourselves. Was it bollocks.....

Only one band could tempt us back, and we know who they are don't we? Could they though? I guess you could say I'm a bit of a cynical fan of the boys these last few years. Certainly not as cynical as some on here, but neither do I support them with a blind loyalty like others might support their local football team. I'm prone to call them "Greedy Avaricious Old goats" amongst other things, and we had not been to see them play since The O2 in 2012. Did we really want to see them play SFTD, with that wretched backing track again? As it turned out we did, but we didn't want to pay the extortionate amount required to get us near the stage, so we did what we always do for overpriced gigs. We waited till the day of the concert and picked up tickets on the cheap. Trust me, this always works. Two tickets in the Gold Circle for £280.00. Happy days.....

I thought James Bay and his band made a decent enough noise, not really my cup of tea, but nice enough. However, the only problem with standing tickets is that my back can give out, and midway through his set I started to feel some sharp discomfort in the spinal region, and the even less welcome sensation of shooting pains running down the back of my legs. Would I survive the gig?

I loved the look of the stage, and when The Stones took to it with SFM, I must say that right from the off they blew me away. My immediate impression was that they were very loud, the guitars ear-splittingly so. This was most welcome, and before long I was tapping my foot, then bobbing my head, and before I knew it, I was dancing and all thoughts of a bad back could f**k off.

I read a review of The Stones a few weeks ago that said that when they play they sound like they could fall apart at any minute. They do sound this way, and this is something that I have always loved about them. Live Rock N Roll should sound like it's alive. The noise The Stones make seems to live and breath and take on a life of it's own. The way that sound seems to shift about is for me one of the most magical things about them. They still have a certain ragged sound to them. The most Rock N ROLL sounding of all Rock N ROLL bands. Emphasis on the Roll.

Jagger is a master of his craft, and can still work a stadium like no other I have seen.

Keith is looking remarkably content and healthy, and sounding good. People say he makes mistakes, he does, but hasn't he always? I thought he was fantastic.

Ronnie? The joker in the pack who is always mucking about and up for a laugh. Ready to break into a pose at any given minute. I have rarely been as impressed with Ron as much as I was tonight.

Charlie still swings, and he is the main reason you can dance to this music. I read on this site a few weeks ago that he was finished. Whoever said that is very much mistaken.

We were standing behind a 13/14 year old boy who was with his Dad. We got the distinct impression that this kid did not want to be there. Whinging he was, loudly, especially when his old man rightfully took away his phone which he didn't lift his eyes up from throughout James Bay's set. He reminded me a little of myself at my first Stones gig in 1990. The only reason I went is because I loved hanging out with my Uncle and his friends so much. Didn't give much thought to the band he was taking me to see, but I do remember him telling me that I might not get another chance to see them. I didn't much care, I was just happy to be with him. However, they amazed me that night, and in truth, they still do 28 years later. By the time the band finished what seemed like a never-ending Satisfaction that kid had a inane grin on his face, much the same as me all those years back. The magic of The Stones right there.

As we walked the long haul back to Richmond station we cut through The Old Deer car park and past what was once The Crawdaddy Club at the back of The Old Station Hotel. We were amused that all these hundreds of Stones fans seemed to have no idea what they were walking past, even though Jagger had spoken of it during the gig. Perhaps they just didn't care, but I did, because regardless of all my gripes, I still love The Stones, and tonight I really wanted them to prove something to me. They did......

So if you have not been fortunate enough to catch the band on this leg of their latest tour, and the only way to get your fix has been through a video that has been filmed with a device that has all the sonic recording ability of a potato. Do not fret......

The Rolling Stones are still the greatest Rock N Roll band in the world.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 20, 2018 06:50

just arrived back in Swansea..........took an hour to get out of Twickenham/Richmond but after getting on the M3 all ok..........

the best party music by the best band on probably the best sound system money can buy............buzzing..........smoking smiley

Date: June 20, 2018 08:33

redkev
grzegorz67

I had a @#$%& nightmare getting back to East London so I can empathise. If you have a few hours you should head to the West End you'll find somewhere to get some food at least.

I went to McDonald's across the road at Victoria Train station where they do breakfast from 5am. Now on my coach and just departing. Will be at work at 10am. #### knows how productive I'm going to be. Luckily, I'm on Flexi so will likely go home at 4.

Date: June 20, 2018 08:39

Nice when guest singer appreciates Keith's playing.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Good work on stage overall.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home