Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Watts Civil War Collection
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 17, 2018 18:39

Has there ever been an itemized list of Charlie's collection or any interview
Where he discusses his interest in the American Civil War?

I believe I've only seen one picture with him & part of his collection.,

Other than that I can't find anything.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Charlie Watts Civil War Collection
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 17, 2018 19:57

I have honestly never heard a single thing about this. Are you sure you're not confusing it with Keith's deep interest in World War 2?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 17, 2018 20:03

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: June 17, 2018 20:24

What is it with Drummers..eh?
Phil Collins ..Collector of all things Alamo

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.google.co.uk]:

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 17, 2018 22:01

I remember reading about this probably 45 plus years ago in some kind of fan book on the band or magazine article and it always stuck in my mind. Would also like to know more about it too.

Thanks for the pic Cristiano, where'd u get it?

plexi

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 17, 2018 23:57

From an interview with Ray Connelly, published on the Evening Standard, July 1969:

"Back at his home he took me on a guided tour. He’s strangely embarrassed by the whole affair of being interviewed because he doesn’t want to appear flash. ‘I suppose I ought to say that Princess Margaret or someone comes to see me,’ he jokes. ‘I always seem to give the wrong impressions. I don’t want people saying, “See what he’s done with his money.” I don’t really think it concerns them. So you won’t write too much about the house, will you?

‘I’m an obsessional collector. If I were Paul Getty I’d just keep buying things. My favourite collection is my guns.’ (They’re mainly from the American Civil War.) ‘But I collect everything.’ And to prove it he takes me off to a sale in Lewes in the afternoon. It’s his first time at a sale as he usually buys from antique shops, and he is mortified about having to share his new experience with a reporter."

timbernardis
I remember reading about this probably 45 plus years ago in some kind of fan book on the band or magazine article and it always stuck in my mind. Would also like to know more about it too.

plexi

I thought that photo was somehow well known. I remember seeing it many times, so it wasn't hard to find it on internet. Here's a clearer one:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 19:44 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 18, 2018 00:06

I've seen the photo before but I wasn't aware of his collectionism.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: June 18, 2018 00:36

timbernardis

plexi

It's also in the book "The First Twenty Years" by David Dalton on page 130.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 18, 2018 01:15

Thanks for all the above posts.

Would be great to know what's in the collection.

I've always thought it odd an Englishman being obsessed with
The American Civil War.

Wouldn't mind knowing what's Keith's got re: WWII as well.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 18, 2018 06:18

Marhsall

The American Civil War.

Oh, you'd be amazed. There is a whole group of Englishmen obsessed with the Indian Wars, particularly the Battle of the Little Big Horn -- Custer, Sitting Bull and all that. That occurred about 3 miles from where I work. There is a Englishman named Francis Taunton who published a book titled Custer's Field : "a scene of sickening ghastly horror" who is from England. In fact, there is a whole group called The English Westerners' Society and another called the Custer Association of Great Britain. Some of these people show up at the Battlefield every June on the anniversary of the battle.

Now, as for German interest in the Indians and the West, that is a whole other topic. Suffice it to say that the Germans are the most Indian-obsessed people on earth outside America. Maybe more later.

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 18, 2018 07:06

Chris Farlowe is a collector of Nazi memorabilia ……………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 18, 2018 07:16

Cristiano Radtke

so I reckon we found the cover for the new album.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 18, 2018 07:20

Rockman

I believe that's illegal in the UK now, isn't it? I know some friends of mine inherited some Nazi memorabilia and were concerned about how to dispose of it legally. Or maybe it's just illegal to buy/sell it?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 18, 2018 08:03

Aquamarine
Rockman

I believe that's illegal in the UK now, isn't it? I know some friends of mine inherited some Nazi memorabilia and were concerned about how to dispose of it legally. Or maybe it's just illegal to buy/sell it?

Well it’s historical - but I must admit - a little nauseating to look at such
a collection. However, the date is August 75 so maybe this was just a passing
interest for Chris.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 18, 2018 11:58

Aquamarine
Rockman

It's not illegal in the UK.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: June 18, 2018 12:58

timbernardis
Marhsall

The American Civil War.

Oh, you'd be amazed. There is a whole group of Englishmen obsessed with the Indian Wars, particularly the Battle of the Little Big Horn -- Custer, Sitting Bull and all that. That occurred about 3 miles from where I work. There is a Englishman named Francis Taunton who published a book titled Custer's Field : "a scene of sickening ghastly horror" who is from England. In fact, there is a whole group called The English Westerners' Society and another called the Custer Association of Great Britain. Some of these people show up at the Battlefield every June on the anniversary of the battle.

Now, as for German interest in the Indians and the West, that is a whole other topic. Suffice it to say that the Germans are the most Indian-obsessed people on earth outside America. Maybe more later.

plexi

Because the American Civil War was the first industrial/mechanised war. 50 years later WW1 wasn’t that different apart from the fact some of their vehicles had become mechanised and the fact they had tanks and planes. Submarines, observation balloons, armoured trains and trench warfare certainly weren’t new inventions by the time of WW1 or ironclad ocean going ships (ie battleships) for that matter.

Besides England had a lot of involvement in the civil war, arms manufacture, ships, supplies, blockade running and let’s not forget that white Americans are originally Europeans so a great deal of British people have ancestors that fought in the war.

There are many civil war veterans buried in the UK and Ireland. The very last surrender of a confederate force took place in Liverpool England and the CSS Alabama was sank just off of the coast of Cherbourg and survivors were picked up and were taken to both Cherbourg and Southampton, not only that quite a few crew members were actually British anyway.

I believe that both Charlie and Keith are civil war buffs and I know that Keith has a civil war era sabre so perhaps he collects as well. I’m also English and used to do American civil war reenacting, there are several societies here in the UK.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-19 16:35 by Nasty Habits.

Posted by: CharlieGirl ()
Date: August 6, 2018 01:30

Thanks for the link to the interview. Never seen before, but it seems so very Charlie, if you know what I mean. winking smiley

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 6, 2018 06:11

I have often wondered as well. I read something long time ago where Charlie mentioned that he spend a day wandering around Gettysburg. I would love to know more about his interest in this and his collection.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2018 07:05

Charlie mentioned that he spend a day wandering around Gettysburg.

No google maps I guess …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: August 6, 2018 08:24

As "industrial/mechanised war" as it was, during the U.S. civil war more people died from disease than combat. No antibiotics

Thinking about all that slow death is pretty horrifying to me. As a kid I went on some trips with groups to walk the battlefields and it still makes me very sad to think of stories...

All that gusto and planning and then.... they attack each other with inaccurate, slow moving, more flesh tearing projectiles which often did not kill, only severely wounded... and the wounds festered... and weeks/months after the battles 1000 and 1000s of dead and dying men from both sides lay there in the mud... as the battles moved on to other areas with the same result.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 6, 2018 08:51

Leonioid
As "industrial/mechanised war" as it was, during the U.S. civil war more people died from disease than combat. No antibiotics

Thinking about all that slow death is pretty horrifying to me. As a kid I went on some trips with groups to walk the battlefields and it still makes me very sad to think of stories...

All that gusto and planning and then.... they attack each other with inaccurate, slow moving, more flesh tearing projectiles which often did not kill, only severely wounded... and the wounds festered... and weeks/months after the battles 1000 and 1000s of dead and dying men from both sides lay there in the mud... as the battles moved on to other areas with the same result.

When you put it as graphically as that, it brings home the full horror of it all. Like any war, It really ought not to be glamorised in any way. At the same time they should not be forgotten, ever and are there to be learnt from.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 6, 2018 18:53

Rockman

Why are we going to an airforce base?

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 6, 2018 19:37

I few years ago there was an auction of jazz memorabilia and I know Charlie obtained Thelonius Monk's pocket watch. He more than tripled my bid and I thought I was offering way too much.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: August 6, 2018 20:51

Speaking of the Civil War.....

Now that I am retired, I am back to my ancestry research, primarily via ancestry.com, familysearch.org, and other resources.

Born in NC and raised in VA, I've always had a fascination with the Civil War, probably due to the fact that the Civil War Centennial (1961-1965) was when I was between the ages of 6 and 10. If you were in the US back then, you couldn't go into any toy store without seeing Civil War toys of all kinds: muskets, flags, board games, hats, a toy cannon that I remember...there was even a set of Civil War trading cards produced by the Topps baseball card company.

At any rate, I have discovered over 30 ancestors that fought on both sides of the conflict. Most, of course, were very distant (7th Cousin, 5 Times Removed won't exactly get you on the family's Christmas card list!).

And, as you would guess, with family from NC and VA, most of them are Confederate. But, I am very surprised to also find out that my 3rd Cousin, 4 Times removed, was Union Admiral David Farragut (of the "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" battle cry), and two other 1st and 2nd Cousins fought for the Union in Pennsylvania Regiments.

That's your American History Lesson for today.

Be sure and mail in the five dollars.

smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home