Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Most approachable rocker
Posted by: spikey ()
Date: September 28, 2005 04:06

Dee Dee Ramone

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 28, 2005 04:16

Dee Dee is so likeable in the Ramones movie, & that final scene (shortly before he dies) is very poignant. His memoirs & his'novel' ('Chelsea Hotel Horror'more of a memoir/fantasy)) are 'friendly, but wacky' too...

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 28, 2005 04:18

yes, dee dee was the loveable loon....best to all

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: September 28, 2005 14:57

I saw him on the street many years ago and stopped him to say hello. He launched into a monologue about this homeless woman that was behind him, asking me what she wanted from him, how she'd been following him around all day, etc., etc.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 28, 2005 15:05

paulywaul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently met the guitarist from Thin Lizzy on a
> flight from London to Oslo. Don't recall his name,
> American guy from LA who has lived in UK for 30
> odd years. Very nice guy in any case.

That would be Scott Gorham wouldnt it?
He seems nice anyway.

Posted by: welded ()
Date: September 28, 2005 17:04

Based on my limited meets - Would say - Ian MacLagan, met him twice, great guy is interested in what you say and talks to you like a regular person, and happy to tell stories.

Also Kenny Jones is very approachable and happy to chat and sign stuff.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: September 28, 2005 17:16

DAVID BOWIE...was walking my dog over to central park 2 years ago and was crossing park ave , he was on the corner , sunday am about 8:30 , i really did not notice it was him untill i saw his eyes which are differet colors...he stopped me , can i pet her? and compliamented me on my doggy, dark brindle pit bull..he said he had one in england several years back."best dog he ever had"..i thanked him..and then said ..."i love your music " he said thanks ...very cool guy....went on our ways....

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 28, 2005 18:06

I've had some good experiences with meeting rockstars...

Angus and Malcolm Young - very friendly, down-to-earth, no ego. Angus is a bit shy (surprisingly) but he makes time for the fans.

Lemmy from Motorhead - You would think he's intimidating but he's quite cool. Willing to chat with fans anytime. Same with his two bandmates, Mikkey Dee and Phil Campbell.

Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden - The guy is a lunatic, but very friendly and gregarious with fans.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 28, 2005 18:45

Lisa Fisher was very nice. Met her in Charlotte along with Bernard and Chuck. Blondie was a jerk to everyone.

Lisa asked me what my name was which took me by suprise. I almost didn't get it out because, why does she want to know my name??? She was nice. Didn't get an autograph though. Just shook her hand and told her I loved her voice.

Mick Taylor just signed my two CD's and looked like he needed another hit of coke.

Met Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins on the streets of Atlanta. Very nice walking with two freaky women.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 28, 2005 19:02

Brian Johnson is a god amongst men. the most lovely bullshit free man you could ever bump into, as are Angus & Malcolm. although they're a little quieter than Joana

Slash, Izzy, Duff & Steven from GNR were all lovely blokes too, can't say the same about Axl as he was a bit 'starish' even back then

Shook the hands of all the Ramones once too, very friendly even if i was pissed as a fart and madly looking thru all my leather jacket pockets for a pen. bless em

met loads of em during my teen years, inc Jon Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc etc. all pleasant enough people. but i think you grow out of wanting to meet people when you enter your 20's

the only two @#$%& i can ever recall 'meeting' are Blackie Lawless (Wasp) & Fish (Marillion), twats the pair of em

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 28, 2005 19:15

Met Kelly Deal once at Lollapalooza in 1994. She was walking around through the crowd before the Breeders went on. Very friendly, chatted with her for a few minutes and got some photos and autographs.

Met Frank Black a couple of times as well. He was friendly and very cool. He said he would sign my CD if I would help him load his amp into his van (which I did).

My best rock 'n' roller meeting was with Mojo Nixon. He left the stage in midsong and ran out of the bar. I followed him to see where he was going. He went across the street to a quickie mart, bought a 40 oz. beer and a pack of smokes, downed the 40, ran back across the street and jumped back on stage, where the band was still vamping on the same song.

I had a hilariously incoherent conversation with him while we waited in line at the quickie mart. When he got back onstage, instead of singing he started humping a plastic blowup sheep. I was moved by the spirit of craziness in the air and jumped on stage and started dancing while he kept humping the sheep. Security threatened to kick me out, though, so I had to leave the stage after the song was over. The sheep, I'm sad to report, was never the same again.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 28, 2005 22:13

>>btw, keith is incredibly approachable, but i think it helps that i'm female and somewhat young...

Who cares about rock stars, are you incredibly approachable?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 29, 2005 00:10

Solomon Burke was beyond nice...a class act. Met him a month or so ago in a hotel lobby after a Pittsburgh show. Signed what I had, posed for a picture...took a lot of time with the 2 of us.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 29, 2005 00:18

Andy,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I thought Slash was real sweetheart, very friendly, even when I gave him a jab about how a lot of the guitar in Used to Love Her, being stolen from Dead Flowers! Blackie Lawless was a real shit too. I was saw him at the Rainbow in LA and he said something nasty to my friend, and she was a big fan of his (why?).

That being said, everyone has their moods, and I wouldn't want to catch me on a bad one.

I'd love to meet Malcom Young, he cracked me up on the VH1 thing for AC/DC. He seems like a great guy too.

andy js Wrote:
> >
> Brian Johnson is a god amongst men. the most
> lovely bullshit free man you could ever bump into,
> as are Angus & Malcolm. although they're a
> little quieter than Joana
>
> Slash, Izzy, Duff & Steven from GNR were all
> lovely blokes too, can't say the same about Axl as
> he was a bit 'starish' even back then
>
> Shook the hands of all the Ramones once too, very
> friendly even if i was pissed as a fart and madly
> looking thru all my leather jacket pockets for a
> pen. bless em
>
> met loads of em during my teen years, inc Jon Bon
> Jovi, Bryan Adams, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc etc.
> all pleasant enough people. but i think you grow
> out of wanting to meet people when you enter your
> 20's
>
>
> the only two @#$%& i can ever recall 'meeting' are
> Blackie Lawless (Wasp) & Fish (Marillion),
> twats the pair of em

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 29, 2005 00:41

Blackie Lawless was okay and signed for me at the Foundations Forum convention 93ish. This most recent tour he blew off a few shows, actually collected the deposit then refused to play. He was generating a lot of ill will at clubs across the country, not the kind of way someone who can only sell a few hundred tickets should be acting.

Date: September 29, 2005 01:10

I've heard that Blackie is a real prick. All his ex-bandmates speak ill of him, and he's definitely one of the least approachable rockers out there. I've heard so many bad stories about the guy...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 29, 2005 03:42

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> paulywaul Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I recently met the guitarist from Thin Lizzy
> on a
> > flight from London to Oslo. Don't recall his
> name,
> > American guy from LA who has lived in UK for
> 30
> > odd years. Very nice guy in any case.
>
>
> That would be Scott Gorham wouldnt it?
> He seems nice anyway.

Indeed it would be. I didn't know who he was, but I was telling a friend of mine about it and he said to me "you fool, that would be Scott Gorham. You mean you don't know who he was"?

Sorry, didn't know who he was. Never was into Thin Lizzy !

Date: September 29, 2005 04:04

> I'd love to meet Malcom Young, he cracked me up on
> the VH1 thing for AC/DC. He seems like a great
> guy too.

He is a great guy...my friend and I waited for the band for a couple of hours outside Continental Airlines Arena in NJ after their show.

I was first in line (of about 30-40 people) and he jumps off the bus, comes right up to me, shakes my hand and say "Hey, so how were we soundin' tonight?"

HOLY SHIT! Talk about refreshing...all I could manage is a stammering "Umm...g...good."

Then I told him I didn't have a black marker and he ran back on the bus to get one. A real class-act, as is his brother. It's nice to know a band can sell 80 million albums and still be grounded.

Posted by: stuart ()
Date: September 29, 2005 05:05

I met a fella on jury duty few years ago who planted himself at a bar in Florida. Forget what city, maybe Jacksonville. Notices that someone looking like Tom Petty is next to him.

Person casually said "are you who i think you are?"
Petty replied yeah and they commenced to chat a while with Petty ending up inviting the fella to visit his place (with pool in back) while he was in town. Think he said something like always a bunch of girls there, c'mon over.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 29, 2005 05:57

I think the answer is probably Springsteen. I base this on a supposedly true story that I heard which occurred in St. Louis on "The River" tour in 1980. Springsteen was in a movie theatre on a day off when a young fan approached. The kid said to Bruce, "I don't want to draw a lot of attention to you, but I know you're Bruce Springsteen. I want you to know I'm a big, big fan. Would you like to come home with me for dinner and meet my family ?". Springsteen said "Sure!" and hopped in the kid's pick-up truck !! When he walked through the front door at the kid's house, the parents almost had a heart attack ! Bruce stayed for dinner, thanked the family for their hospitality, called a cab and went back to his hotel !! I LOVE this story...how many rock performers would do something like that ???!!!

Date: September 29, 2005 06:02

RockR Wrote:
> I think the answer is probably Springsteen. I
> base this on a supposedly true story that I heard
> which occurred in St. Louis on "The River" tour in
> 1980. Springsteen was in a movie theatre on a day
> off when a young fan approached. The kid said to
> Bruce, "I don't want to draw a lot of attention to
> you, but I know you're Bruce Springsteen. I want
> you to know I'm a big, big fan. Would you like to
> come home with me for dinner and meet my family
> ?". Springsteen said "Sure!" and hopped in the
> kid's pick-up truck !! When he walked through the
> front door at the kid's house, the parents almost
> had a heart attack ! Bruce stayed for dinner,
> thanked the family for their hospitality, called a
> cab and went back to his hotel !! I LOVE this
> story...how many rock performers would do
> something like that ???!!!

If that's true, it's a GREAT story. People give Bruce too much shit for being too earnest, too pandering, too political, but he is a truly decent man.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: September 29, 2005 12:08

angus young (because hes from australia) good on ya mate

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 29, 2005 12:14

RockR Wrote:
> I think the answer is probably Springsteen. I
> base this on a supposedly true story that I heard
> which occurred in St. Louis on "The River" tour in
> 1980. Springsteen was in a movie theatre on a day
> off when a young fan approached. The kid said to
> Bruce, "I don't want to draw a lot of attention to
> you, but I know you're Bruce Springsteen. I want
> you to know I'm a big, big fan. Would you like to
> come home with me for dinner and meet my family
> ?". Springsteen said "Sure!" and hopped in the
> kid's pick-up truck !! When he walked through the
> front door at the kid's house, the parents almost
> had a heart attack ! Bruce stayed for dinner,
> thanked the family for their hospitality, called a
> cab and went back to his hotel !! I LOVE this
> story...how many rock performers would do
> something like that ???!!!

I remember hearing that story at the time it happened (I think actually it occurred in Denver, but thats not important). Bruce had gone to see Woody Allen's "Stardust Memories" when that kid invited him back for dinner. Apparently he also played a few songs for the guy's parents as well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 29, 2005 20:32

Izzy Stradlin - Very nice. Saw at a Ronnie Wood show with the guy from the Georgia Satellites. Drinking and having a good time.

Bluesman Tinsley Ellis - Always glad to sign, take pictures, etc. Also, a hell of a guitar player. He'd be a great opener for the Stones.

Eddie Money - Funny aand a good singer.

P. S. I saw Ian McLagan get on stage with Tinsley in Atlanta a few years ago. He let me buy him a drink, but wasn't very friendly. Totally belied the Faces' image. Hell, I was one of four people in the U. S. who bought "Troublemaker". That should have been worth an autograph!!! LOL

P. P. S. Chuck Leavell is in fact very hospitable. Will sign items, take pictures, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-29 20:32 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 29, 2005 20:47

elmo - that's strange about your encounter with Mac - met him in SF earlier in the year and he couldn't have been more friendly. must have caught him on a bad nite.

Date: September 29, 2005 20:50

Yeah, he's always appeared to be very much like Woody - a party man, good sense of humor, etc. Maybe he just didn't like me!

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 29, 2005 20:51

Bill Wyman is a very nice man to his fans as long as you act like the Stones never existed. I bet he'd have a beer with you if you'd wear a t-shirt saying @#$%& THE ROLLING STONES.

But he seriously is a nice guy.

Date: September 29, 2005 20:51

Then remind me not to go to a Mac gig with you, Elmo!

Date: September 29, 2005 20:53

I'd really like to catch the Bump Band sometime.

Date: September 29, 2005 20:56

they're good - Jud does a wicked Ronnie

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home