Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14
Re: Cardiff UK 15-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:25

What a gig! I’m still buzzing the morning after! There were so many highlights but the best part for me was Like A Rolling Stone, it was delivered with such energy that you could feel the crowd growing with the band. One of my all time Stones highlights.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:30

In spite of the two hiccups described above, that was a powerful and energetic show, with everyone giving it 110%, and I did indeed get to hear that SFM in person, followed by a stadium-shaking IORR/TD/PIB, and then Mick showed us the Cardiff dragon poster before Just Your Fool. I didn't vote for Cloud, but it had everyone singing along, as did Like A Rolling Stone. The muddle at the start of YCAGWYW was made up for by an enthusiastic sing along and noisy extended gospel ending. Six Welsh Stones virgins in my row, and by now they were all up and dancing.

Delighted to get Before They Make Me Run, and a blistering Sympathy solo from Keith before a powerful and memorable Rambler. He nailed SMU (maybe he does do it on purpose...) and then the glitch on JJF which was promptly forgottten as the second attempt was so good. Great crowd: a few empty seats and one or two sections tarped off, but GA crammed full and all singing and clapping and cheering - I should think they could hear us across the Bristol channel.

Sound was LOUD and powerful and Keith very much on form: so was Mick, though I had the impression towards the end that he was very tired but being spurred on by the music to give his all. Right at the end of Satisfaction he gave a "Phew!" of exhaustion, followed immediately by a grin and a small triumphant "yess!".

From our "restricted view" seats we got to see the band walk out to their limos and give them a final cheer and a wave goodbye. So glad I made the last minute decision to come to Cardiff: a beautiful city and a show worth all the hassle of getting to it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:34

OK, so THIS question is addressed to those who were actually THERE, 'armchair critics' need not respond !!

What happened at the beginning of YCAGWYW ? No French horn, and what's his face who normally plays it looked enormously confused as Mick kicked the song off with his acoustic - whereas it's usually Keith who starts it on electric. Anyone else notice this ? Also, the song seemed very stangely off key and until the first chorus at least, the rest of the band only THEN seemed to pick it up ?

That's how I heard it anyway ....

Other viewpoints ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 10:37 by paulywaul.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:48

It was a great show, better audience than Manchester from where i was Standing, so pleased i got SFM as an opener, Keith was better again, JJF epic after the not so bad start restarted for some reason. Keith great SMU , i'm still convinced he cocks it up as opener on purpose and no one will convince me otherwise.
Lots of energy, they really rock , only downside was disappointed to get YGTS from Keith, fed up with that one and i don't like the way they play GOMC , no guts to it, crap drums.

Looking forward to Twicks, they are getting better all the time, Mick and Keith still deliver the best show on earth smiling smiley

PS. it really is time to drop YCAGWYW, absolute load of bollocks, give me SWAY or CYHMK any day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 10:53 by keithsman.

Date: June 16, 2018 10:50

By the way, describing Ronnie as Doctor Who's new companion was a bit of a Cardiff in-joke, as the production team are based there and a lot of scenes get filmed in and around the city.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:52

paulywaul
OK, so THIS question is addressed to those who were actually THERE, 'armchair critics' need not respond !!

What happened at the beginning of YCAGWYW ? No French horn, and what's his face who normally plays it looked enormously confused as Mick kicked the song off with his acoustic - whereas it's usually Keith who starts it on electric. Anyone else notice this ? Also, the song seemed very stangely off key and until the first chorus at least, the rest of the band only THEN seemed to pick it up ?

Other viewpoints ?

Yes, I noticed that - I don't what happened though - it was as though there was something wrong with the French horn - although, what could be wrong - maybe there was no mic in place - also, then, Ron, Matt Clifford and Keith congregated around the keyboards and for a for a minute or so and Ron didn't have a guitar either............??.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 10:54 by EddieByword.

Date: June 16, 2018 10:57

Maybe they just started YCAGWYW before everyone was quite ready. They were a bit late taking to the stage and Mick was clearly aware of the curfew and keen to push on quickly.

Date: June 16, 2018 10:59

Supposedly, Keith was handed a guitar with the capo on the wrong fret for both JJF and YCAGWYW. How could that happen? smiling smiley

Date: June 16, 2018 11:15

DandelionPowderman
Supposedly, Keith was handed a guitar with the capo on the wrong fret for both JJF and YCAGWYW. How could that happen? smiling smiley

That would explain a lot.

As you say , how can that happen twice in one show, was Pierre drunk lol.

All i can say DP is Keith is becoming visibly younger as these shows progress, he is driving the band again, i would never have believed that he could become this solid again unless i saw it for myself, Mick is magnificent too, i mean really amazing, he seems to have come to life since keith came back.
Keith's been gone for a long time but he really is back, they need to continue this tour, play some more shows this year, they are hitting their stride again.smiling smiley

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 16, 2018 11:22

You Can't Always Get What You Want: Keith was handed a tele in open G used fo Honkey Tonk Women. Keith didn't remember that the song was in C and needed a capo and started the song anyway. Which led to a fisrt verse in different keys.

Jumping Jack Flash: Keith was handed the right guitar with the capo on the right fret but he played the intro one fret too low. Which led him to believe the capo was in the wrong spot and he went back to Pierre to get it "fixed".

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 16, 2018 11:33

Rollin92
Keith’s solo on SFTD was very good and the most fluid i’ve heard so far this you’re

Absolutely agree here. I was flabbergasted by what he did (twice!). I don’t think I heared him play anything ‘decent’ as a SFTD solo in, well, in ages really. But yesterday was just... wow. Genuine soloing; and beautifully phrased, My, my...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 16, 2018 11:36

Date: June 16, 2018 11:38

another SFTD

video: [www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 16, 2018 11:49

maumau
another SFTD

[www.youtube.com]

Beggars the question, why has Keith been ballsing this one up when clearly he can play it when he wants to.
I've been saying this is the second coming of Keith and damn it i was right. winking smiley
This is proof, God i love ya Keith, the come back King of all time hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 11:51 by keithsman.

Date: June 16, 2018 12:10

Date: June 16, 2018 12:10

another GS

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 16, 2018 12:12

Complete JJF with false start

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 16, 2018 12:13

another SFM

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 16, 2018 12:20

another SMU

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 16, 2018 12:22

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 16, 2018 12:25

paulywaul

Other viewpoints ?

What happened was - I think Pierre (Keith's guitar tech) messed up and gave him a guitar without a capo (I think Pierre gave Keith the guitar for HTw by mistake). Keith looked st it for a few seconds trying to figure out what song he was supposed to play - and then started playing YVAGWYW in the key of G rather than C. Mick pushed ahead playing in C. Meanwhile backstage I could see Pierre desperately scrambling around trying to get the correct guitar ready for Keith.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 16, 2018 12:31

bv
I just love this poster, so I added it to the top of this thread.

It was the first thing I did when I got to Cardiff ... straight to the merchandising booth and bought this litho !!!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: June 16, 2018 12:37

All those musicians that are hiding under the stage had better get their act togethergrinning smiley

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: June 16, 2018 12:38

john lomax
paulywaul

Other viewpoints ?

What happened was - I think Pierre (Keith's guitar tech) messed up and gave him a guitar without a capo (I think Pierre gave Keith the guitar for HTw by mistake). Keith looked st it for a few seconds trying to figure out what song he was supposed to play - and then started playing YVAGWYW in the key of G rather than C. Mick pushed ahead playing in C. Meanwhile backstage I could see Pierre desperately scrambling around trying to get the correct guitar ready for Keith.

Yeah, in the video maumau posted you can see Keith changing guitars at the one minute mark. Matt Cliffords facial expression is priceless spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 16, 2018 12:43

Thank You, Rolling Stones for a Fantastic Show in Cardiff last night!

Please don't leave it another 12 yesrs to visit us...We will keep the Brains beer chilled for you.smileys with beer

Undertheradar

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: June 16, 2018 13:00

keithsman
It was a great show, better audience than Manchester from where i was Standing, so pleased i got SFM as an opener, Keith was better again, JJF epic after the not so bad start restarted for some reason. Keith great SMU , i'm still convinced he cocks it up as opener on purpose and no one will convince me otherwise.
Lots of energy, they really rock , only downside was disappointed to get YGTS from Keith, fed up with that one and i don't like the way they play GOMC , no guts to it, crap drums.

Looking forward to Twicks, they are getting better all the time, Mick and Keith still deliver the best show on earth smiling smiley

PS. it really is time to drop YCAGWYW, absolute load of bollocks, give me SWAY or CYHMK any day.

Hear hear ...getting to hate it if that's not too strong a word, and never liked it that much in the 1st place, just don't get why it's seemingly so indispensable

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 16, 2018 13:15

paulywaul

It was the first thing I did when I got to Cardiff ... straight to the merchandising booth and bought this litho !!!

Could you post a picture of it here? Someone is interested in how the real print looks - [iorr.org] ....

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 16, 2018 13:35

Green Lady
In spite of the two hiccups described above, that was a powerful and energetic show, with everyone giving it 110%, and I did indeed get to hear that SFM in person, followed by a stadium-shaking IORR/TD/PIB, and then Mick showed us the Cardiff dragon poster before Just Your Fool. I didn't vote for Cloud, but it had everyone singing along, as did Like A Rolling Stone. The muddle at the start of YCAGWYW was made up for by an enthusiastic sing along and noisy extended gospel ending. Six Welsh Stones virgins in my row, and by now they were all up and dancing.

Delighted to get Before They Make Me Run, and a blistering Sympathy solo from Keith before a powerful and memorable Rambler. He nailed SMU (maybe he does do it on purpose...) and then the glitch on JJF which was promptly forgottten as the second attempt was so good. Great crowd: a few empty seats and one or two sections tarped off, but GA crammed full and all singing and clapping and cheering - I should think they could hear us across the Bristol channel.

Sound was LOUD and powerful and Keith very much on form: so was Mick, though I had the impression towards the end that he was very tired but being spurred on by the music to give his all. Right at the end of Satisfaction he gave a "Phew!" of exhaustion, followed immediately by a grin and a small triumphant "yess!".

From our "restricted view" seats we got to see the band walk out to their limos and give them a final cheer and a wave goodbye. So glad I made the last minute decision to come to Cardiff: a beautiful city and a show worth all the hassle of getting to it.

thumbs up

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: June 16, 2018 13:47

paulywaul
bv
I just love this poster, so I added it to the top of this thread.

Great, can you post a pic of the actual litho?

Date: June 16, 2018 14:07

Some smashing photos BV, Good to see you caught Matt Cliffords WTF face..lol

Thank youthumbs up

Undertheradar

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home