Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The truth about ticket prices
Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: September 27, 2005 20:21

There's an interesting article in today's USA Today about Clear Channel Entertainment, the U.S.-based radio giant that handles and promotes tours for virtually every major rock band in the world, including U2, McCartney, Coldplay and the Stones.

To recap the article, it appears Clear Channel is throwing money at these acts, guaranteeing the performers an amount equal to 85% of potential ticket sales, and leaving Clear Channel responsible for the difference if sales fall short. In addition, Clear Channel is guaranteeing some performers -- i.e., the Stones? -- a sellout, meaning Clear Channel has to jack up ticket prices in order to hedge its investment.

In other words, it appears the Stones aren't really to blame for the high ticket prices. Clear Channel showered them with millions, and consequently had to ratchet up the ticket prices in order to make a profit.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Re: The truth about ticket prices
Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 27, 2005 20:26

This is what Clear Channel always does and how Michael Cohl was able to get involved with the Stones in 1989. They always throw big guaranteed amounts at the performers to handle their entire tour, making it hard for the performer to turn down. In turn Clear Channel passes it onto to the ticket buyers. Ticket prices have spiralled out of control in the past decade because of what Clear Channel does.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 27, 2005 20:30

I remember being suprised of my dad's 89 gulden(about 40 bucks) ticket to the Bridges To Babylon.

Could everybody do me a faivor and tell me how much they payed for their tickets?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 27, 2005 20:31

clear channel has and always will suck. they hate howard stern because he's dirty, but promote godsmak in concert(who say fu ck every 2nd verse)

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 27, 2005 20:38

In the US, the top ticket price was $60 for all shows, except in the arenas and Joint show. Almost all stadiums tickets were this price, with a little lower price for some of the worst seats.

The massive increase in prices since then has very little to do with inflation and escalating crew costs. It has everything to do with Clear Channel gouging us more so they can offer continually higher amounts to bands to tour.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: September 27, 2005 20:39

3 pairs for the Houston show:

stage left, upper prom behind the stage 60.00 each
stage right, middle lower prom 160.00 each
stage right, lower prom back corner 95.00 each

These charges do not include all the services charges. I think the 160.oo seats had over 20.00 in charges attached.
18,000 seats at 50.00 each would be $900,000.00
They can't put on an arena show for that? I guess the Clear Channel stuff makes sense... or non-sense depending on the price of your seats.

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: September 27, 2005 20:48

In the article, Clear Channel's head of concert management tried to place the blame for sky-high ticket prices on the performers.

"Most artists are making more money on tours than from CDs," he says. That's why ticket prices and the cost of business went up. We don't voluntarily go out and write bigger checks."

What a crock of crap. If Clear Channel didn't want to write such huge checks, they could simply pass. Instead, they continue to write bigger and bigger checks, then pass the cost onto us.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 27, 2005 20:57

Actually I think Michael Cohl pioneered this form of concert promotion with the Steel Wheels and it was later co-opted by Clear Channel for most concert acts.

Some people say its a case of supply and demand but when I hear how much the $450 tickets are going for in the parking lot, it sounds like the seats were never really *worth* that much to begin with.

Part of the reason the Motley Crue tour is referred to as a success is that it was booked with low guarantees, I think the initial contracts specified something like $150,000 guaranteed for 5,000 tix sold and bonus paid on tickets over the 5,000. The band and the promotors made a lot of money. To put things in perspective, the Stones guarantee is the neighborhood of $3-5 million plus depending on venue.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: September 27, 2005 20:58

My ticket prices this time:

$97 4th row Atlanta
$250 On Stage Duke
$475 Vegas first section by stage L16

All are interesting and unique in their own way. Prices vary by luck and creativity.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: September 27, 2005 21:15

My ticket was $74.50 Canadian. By the way, it says "convenience charge" on it. What the hell is that??? Ticket prices today are hardly "convenient" for anyone!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 27, 2005 21:16

Yes, Clear Channel does suck, but the real truth about ticket prices is that bands are going to charge whatever fans are willing to pay. If nobody ever paid more than $100 for a ticket, you'd never see any tickets over $100, because bands would rather have a full house at $75 a ticket than an empty house at $100 a ticket. It is the law of supply and demand, pure and simple.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 27, 2005 21:21

I have nothing whatsoever nice to say about Clear Channel, but I do get a kick out of listening to people rationalize the prices and shifting "blame" away from the band.

I don't have any philosophical objection to the Stones charging whatever they think the market will bear, but...

Are you under the impression that the Stones aren't ultimately responsible for making the deal that includes those retail prices?! They have created a business arrangement wherin Clear Channel, Cohl, and all their various partners are collaborating to charge unprecedented sums for tickets.

Hell, good for them--and I mean that. "The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World."

At the end of the tour, they'll be able to say that they are the highest grossing act of all time without any fool journalists noting that they played to a fraction of the numbers of '89, '94, and '97.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 27, 2005 21:53

Bluespeyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's an interesting article in today's USA
> Today about Clear Channel Entertainment, the
> U.S.-based radio giant that handles and promotes
> tours for virtually every major rock band in the
> world, including U2, McCartney, Coldplay and the
> Stones.

> In other words, it appears the Stones aren't
> really to blame for the high ticket prices. Clear
> Channel showered them with millions, and
> consequently had to ratchet up the ticket prices
> in order to make a profit.

well if you lie down with dogs, youre likely to get fleas.

They could always say no, couldnt they?

Plenty of acts other than the four youve mentioned can fill large arenas and stadiums but dont charge any more than $100 a ticket. And I'm sure they make a tidy profit into the bargain

Jagger said in an interview with Forbes magazine in October 2002 that HE is responsible for the ticket prices. No one else sets them. The idea of a band like the Stones being 'obliged' to sell tickets that are two or three times as much as what almost everyone else charges because of some arrangement with Clear Channel is nonsensical.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: September 27, 2005 22:12

$450.00 a ticket is non-sensical... it just is. I don't care what the demand is or who the band is... it is just too much.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 27, 2005 22:14

i remember my parents being shocked that my ticket in 1981 cost 35 bucks. In 1989, i remember saying to myself, how could i pay $90 for a seat (it was 5th row at Shea Stadium); now i would kill for a decent seat for $90!!

I have seen two shows so far, 180 in MSG very good seat in section 125 and $100 for an OK seat (section 227) at the meadowlands, not counting al of TM's extra charges.

So far rhe most ihave even spent is $200 for a Roseland ticket last time around (scalped, face value $50) but it was worth it to see that gem--and be 15 fet from the center of the stage!

My advice, go to a stadium show and scalp. i have seen first hand tickets going for $10!!!! and floor seats for $100.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 27, 2005 22:23

I was getting tix half price on the No Security tour but face in 99 was cheap compared to now. Looking forward to trying my luck at a stadium show though I am a little worried about competition because so many people I know I have the same idea.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 27, 2005 22:28

Just to add a little perspective on what the market will bear, . . .

The Stones played Toronto last night and the top ticket was 450 plus charges.

The Toronto NHL team, the Leafs, charges 385.00 for their top-priced tickets, but to get that deal you also need a season ticket agreement to get such tickets--that'd have you buying about 41 tickets at that price, not just one.

And that's for a freakin' lousy hockey game that's probably on television and that probably doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot in the course of an entire season. In addition, you're pretty much guaranteed that the hockey team will be back next season and the season after that.

So, while I'm no fan of high priced tickets (who would be), I can see that they're simply responding to market conditions, whether we're talking about Clearchannel, Cohl, or the Stones. On the bright side, they only charged 10 bucks for the Phoenix gig. lol

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 27, 2005 22:45

average them out over a few shows and it makes one expensive ticket seem like a bit less, if you get some cheap ones;

amortize them over the years between shows and you really can't saythat the Stones force you into the poor house.

Ihave read that during the 1972 tour the Stones were crucified by some and accused of selling out for having the gall to charge as much a 9 bucks for some shows!!!!!

My first show was only 1981 but i cant fathom any era in which the Stones toured the States that 9 bucks could raise such a ruckus!!

Date: September 27, 2005 22:45

yeah but by that standard,Camper, then every major act should be charging what a NHL team is charging. Then we'd all be fúcked. (anyone paying that money for a meaningless sports event needs their head examined - I can understand it for a final or something, but Christ almighty..)

they should compare prices to those of other acts in the same field of entertainment - not sports events or (as some people on here have bizarrely compared it to ) an expensive dinner in the most exorbitant restaurant you can find

after all, "it's only rock n' roll" - apparently smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-27 22:46 by Gazza.

Date: September 27, 2005 22:51

HalfNanker Wrote:

>
> Ihave read that during the 1972 tour the Stones
> were crucified by some and accused of selling out
> for having the gall to charge as much a 9 bucks
> for some shows!!!!!
>

oh its even further back! On the '69 tour (according to Scaduto's Jagger bio) when there were complaints at the outrageous prices ($7.50!!) to the LA Forum shows, apparently Jagger told the Stones office to announce that the prices had been set by the Forum's owners, when in actual fact they had been set by Jagger and the Stones' staff. Bill Graham went apeshit, describing Jagger as "a great performer, but an egotistical creep as a person"!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 27, 2005 22:56

I think first the Stones tell CClive how much they want, than they (CClive) start counting from there on.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 27, 2005 22:58

Clear Channel will most likley make a flat fee per show, the local Clear Channel offices handle local production and promotion...for a flat fee. In some cases far less then some would imagine. The point is, Clear Channel negotiated a deal and if they did not take it, another promoter would. Clear Channel wants the glory to say that they did the Rolling Stones tour, and not a competitor.

A few Years ago, Concerts West promoted the Arena leg of Springsteen's arena tour for The Rising. A reported $5,000 flat fee was paid per show for their effort (after expenses). They lowballed the price just to take it away from Clear Channel and take home the glory of saying the did that sold out tour.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 27, 2005 23:13

On a related note, I was just checking out the Oslo Spektrum website and noticed that Dylan's playing there. I don't speak Norwegian, but it looks like Dylan's charging 410-460 euros per ticket. Do I have that right?

If the Stones see that they'll think they're not charging enough.

Sorry, I think I got the currency wrong: krone.

That's only about 70 bucks US, WTF! Go Bob!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-27 23:16 by camper88.

Date: September 27, 2005 23:15

camper88 Wrote:
> On a related note, I was just checking out the
> Oslo Spektrum website and noticed that Dylan's
> playing there. I don't speak Norwegian, but it
> looks like Dylan's charging 410-460 euros per
> ticket. Do I have that right?
>
> If the Stones see that they'll think they're not
> charging enough.

Don't think so

Date: September 27, 2005 23:19

It's about 60€ in Brussels. Vorst Nationaal. Great venue. So the Stones are charging enough :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home