Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Goodbye tentative Keef , welcome back keef the rhythm machine
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 15, 2018 08:59

Rockman
Show us what ya got when ya 74 ………………

Now you don't want my trousers to fall down, do ya?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2018 09:37

….. that's all that's holdin mine UP >>>>>>>>>>>> hhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2018 09:51

laertisflash
"That he's not as bad as the mummy from the 2012 New Jersey Pay per View is the best compliment to give".

You are clearly exaggerating on that, 24FPS...

No. Go back and watch the December 2012 PPV. He barely moves, and he looks scared poopless.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 15, 2018 09:57

thumbs up

erad
mtaylor
Don't judge Keith or Stones playing on crappy youtube videos... have seen the videos and they are nothing comparable with the real thing.

Youtube videos are more than enough to hear out of tune playing, playing in the wrong key, missed notes, sloppy intros etc

When a youtube video is posted because it was a good version of a song with minimal mistakes I don't see people saying that you can't judge from a youtube video...

Can't have it both ways.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 15, 2018 10:28

mtaylor
Don't judge Keith or Stones playing on crappy youtube videos... have seen the videos and they are nothing comparable with the real thing.

On the contrary, cellphone (or other sources) videos is the real thing. Professional recorded material, on the other hand, seldom is. Since it's usually processed and improved afterwards.
A cellphone video is as real as a photograph. The conditions might not be the best and the photographer a novis. But all the same it's real.

Date: June 15, 2018 10:50

Stoneage
mtaylor

On the contrary, cellphone (or other sources) videos is the real thing. Professional recorded material, on the other hand, seldom is. Since it's usually processed and improved afterwards.
A cellphone video is as real as a photograph. The conditions might not be the best and the photographer a novis. But all the same it's real.

It's real AND distorted. I guess the concert-goers heard a bit more of the band than we got on that video smiling smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 15, 2018 11:29

Youtube, Keith soul mirror ? smoking smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: June 15, 2018 12:18

When you are present at the shows , the bum notes if any , are such a fleeting moment in the whole huge live experience that they go virtually unnoticed ! When Keith flubbed the start me up intro recently , I was there and it coincided with the start of the show with explosions and excitement, and then ,bang its Mick jagger and look there's Ronnie , and the sound is huge and the show is on ! The mistakes go unnoticed

Date: June 15, 2018 12:28

Anitapal82
When you are present at the shows , the bum notes if any , are such a fleeting moment in the whole huge live experience that they go virtually unnoticed ! When Keith flubbed the start me up intro recently , I was there and it coincided with the start of the show with explosions and excitement, and then ,bang its Mick jagger and look there's Ronnie , and the sound is huge and the show is on ! The mistakes go unnoticed

My sentiments exactly! thumbs up

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 15, 2018 16:56

GasLightStreet
mtaylor

Listen at 5:18 in this not crappy youtube video...

[www.youtube.com]
Yeah, but THIS is pro-shot. People here are bitching about crowd-filmed vids.

At any rate...Keith's solos here aren't too bad. This is Oakland '94?

People need to find the unedited Miami PPV SFTD solo...the one that was so bad it was edited out of the VHS and DVD release.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 15, 2018 20:22

Anitapal82

I suppose that depends on what you focus your attention on. Some focus on the music itself, and others can get swept away with the overall excitement, while for some it's a combo of both.
Speaking for myself, I tend to pay close attention to the music - specifically the guitars, and even more specifically Keith - and that includes the good, the bad, and the ugly, none of which goes unnoticed.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2018 23:19

Hairball
Anitapal82

I suppose that depends on what you focus your attention on. Some focus on the music itself, and others can get swept away with the overall excitement, while for some it's a combo of both.
Speaking for myself, I tend to pay close attention to the music - specifically the guitars, and even more specifically Keith - and that includes the good, the bad, and the ugly, none of which goes unnoticed.

There is some truth in this. I saw them in 2006 at Dodger Stadium in L.A., and it was a great 'spectacle'. I remember Mick was great, the best I'd seen him. But I don't remember any musical highlights. The fireworks and the light show was great, and the music was loud, but I don't remember the quality of it. I think that's why it's easier to forgive the way they sound in concert, until you get it home on DVD and hear when Keith was actually good, and what Wyman brought to the table.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 16, 2018 02:28

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
mtaylor

Listen at 5:18 in this not crappy youtube video...

[www.youtube.com]
Yeah, but THIS is pro-shot. People here are bitching about crowd-filmed vids.

At any rate...Keith's solos here aren't too bad. This is Oakland '94?

People need to find the unedited Miami PPV SFTD solo...the one that was so bad it was edited out of the VHS and DVD release.

Point being, there are audible bad notes on a pro-shot youtube video.

That wonderful awful SFTD Miami one is not on youtube anymore!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 16, 2018 02:54

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
mtaylor

It's real AND distorted. I guess the concert-goers heard a bit more of the band than we got on that video smiling smiley

Which can also be said for those cheap tape recorders used to capture bootlegs way back when.

People who are at the concert are celebrating -- but people at home, as with any bootleg, are listening.

So the question is, would you want Mess Me Up in your bootleg collection?

There's a place for certain select cringe-worthy moments, namely:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2018 07:47

Anitapal82

….. cant argue with that one …… well put Anitapal…..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: June 16, 2018 08:10

Basically a lipmus test of who ya want to hang around... and who ya want to avoid in life.

Avoid the people who only focus on.... avoid the people who take great pleasure in focusing on.... avoid people who post endlessly about.... 4 seconds of a maybe mistake... while ignoring the other 2 hours of greatness.

Hang out with people who "get it",
Hang out with people who appreciate the whole of a good thing without dwelling on the negative.

Date: June 16, 2018 10:00

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
mtaylor

Which can also be said for those cheap tape recorders used to capture bootlegs way back when.

People who are at the concert are celebrating -- but people at home, as with any bootleg, are listening.

So the question is, would you want Mess Me Up in your bootleg collection?

I have numerous messed up songs from 1969-2018 in my collection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 10:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: fela ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:42

start me up intro is just another voluntary main offender provocation from Keith..thats why we love them for years now

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 16, 2018 13:57

Stoneage

Thanx for that!! I am sooo gonna buy this... smoking smiley

In fact: I can’t wait for volume 2 already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 14:57 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 16, 2018 15:30

"Warming up to Chuck Berry before hitting the stage!" [www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 16, 2018 18:43

Talk is cheap, off course. But I can't remember having the discussion whether Keith c-a-n play this or that song in the past. It's a new one.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 16, 2018 18:54

Hairball
Anitapal82

Yes I think it depends on what you're focusing on. When I saw them in Stockholm last year I was very distracted when Keith played an E-chord instead of a B-chord after his solo on SFTD, it kind of ruined the song for me. But overall it's true that mistakes are less distracting when seeing them live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 18:55 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: June 16, 2018 19:10

TheBlockbuster
Hairball
Anitapal82

Yes I think it depends on what you're focusing on. When I saw them in Stockholm last year I was very distracted when Keith played an E-chord instead of a B-chord after his solo on SFTD, it kind of ruined the song for me.
But overall it's true that mistakes are less distracting when seeing them live.

No doubt, and I should amend my above post by saying there's nothing as thrilling as being at a Stones show - whether a club, a theater, an arena, or an enormous stadium filled with millions!
Can't help but get swept away with the thrill of just being there...it's not like I have superpowers that can block out absolutely everything except for Keith while analyzing his guitar playing lol.
No, I try to take it all in...from the music itself (first and foremost) to all the bells and whistles of the stage, etc.(which is the icing), or at least try to. But when there's some bum notes or it's an extremely great performance, can't help but noticing, and sometimes that's what you remember most. Whether it be good, bad, or ugly - and sometimes it's a combo of all three - can't help but noticing it all. I've seen great ones, bad ones, medium ones, and so-so ones, but no matter as it is the Stones after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 19:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 16, 2018 23:17

Leonioid
Basically a lipmus test of who ya want to hang around... and who ya want to avoid in life.

Avoid the people who only focus on.... avoid the people who take great pleasure in focusing on.... avoid people who post endlessly about.... 4 seconds of a maybe mistake... while ignoring the other 2 hours of greatness.

Hang out with people who "get it",
Hang out with people who appreciate the whole of a good thing without dwelling on the negative.

You summed up Micks views on Keith there.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 16, 2018 23:56

keefriff99
Hairball
keefriff99
[www.youtube.com]

Too bad he keeps botching the intro to Start Me Up.

That's quite a major doozy of a screw up - especially noticeable as the opening tune, though I realize many have an explanation in defense of it (volume knob, etc).
SMU is the one last major hurdles it seems (Sympathy solo and the Happy intro aside), and if he could just get it right his overall playing would be absolutely perfect and better than it's ever been!!!
Didn't he also botch it at the Hyde Park show in 2013, and it was fixed on the "official" release? I know at the time some people were making excuses for him, saying his scarf was draped over the fretboard, or something.

At this point, all I can do is laugh, but really...the intro to Start Me Up is SO iconic, especially as as show-opener, that blowing it is really inexcusable.

He butchered it at BOTH hyde park shows...

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 17, 2018 10:41

Anitapal82

That´s true!
I´ve been at the Circus Krone gig in 2003 and highlight for me was WORRIED ABOUT YOU. I have NOT noticed that they butchered the song completely. I was shocked in listening to the bootleg later on...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 18, 2018 07:51

Keith's solo in Under My Thumb from St Marys is... horrible. Wow. 2:12
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 18, 2018 09:23

TheBlockbuster
Hairball
Anitapal82

Yes I think it depends on what you're focusing on. When I saw them in Stockholm last year I was very distracted when Keith played an E-chord instead of a B-chord after his solo on SFTD, it kind of ruined the song for me. But overall it's true that mistakes are less distracting when seeing them live.

Such occurences will be at odds with the song originals.

But I wonder, may they in certain cases be heard as "spontaneous" variations of the song, that one may enjoy as such? Some good or attractive, others not quite as good, but acceptable, others again outright bad? Or is this always a question of correct and incorrect rendition of song originals and never anything more?

Date: June 18, 2018 10:56

Witness
TheBlockbuster
Hairball
Anitapal82

Such occurences will be at odds with the song originals.

But I wonder, may they in certain cases be heard as "spontaneous" variations of the song, that one may enjoy as such? Some good or attractive, others not quite as good, but acceptable, others again outright bad? Or is this always a question of correct and incorrect rendition of song originals and never anything more?

From my perspective and in layman's terms:

It's not a matter of replicating the original, but playing something that doesn't make you think the world has turned upside down and is crashing in on your head.
For example, Keith has played some excellent solos on Sympathy in the past that are nothing like the original version, just as he has done with nearly every song they've ever played live.
If it's a spontaneous improv that's in the right key, that can usually be a good thing - not always though as there's many variables including correct tempo w/the rest of the band for example.
On the other hand, if it's a spontaneous improv that's totally in the wrong key, that can usually be a not so good thing (as this isn't avant garde jazz), but in most cases can be "saved" if it's eventually corrected.
But then there's also the missed notes, the botched chords, etc., that can dampen the listening experience, but again that's always been part of a Stones show - sometimes more and sometimes less.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 18, 2018 14:15

"No. Go back and watch the December 2012 PPV. He barely moves, and he looks scared poopless".

24FPS, talking about clear exaggeration, I don't mean your description as for his situation in December 2012. I mean your claim (if I understood it correctly) that Keith is slightly better now, compared to the picture you have discribed. IMO he is clearly better these days.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home