Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Goodbye tentative Keef , welcome back keef the rhythm machine
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 13, 2018 00:01

Stoneage
I agree somewhat. Better than expected. But by no way anything near the heydays.

No, but are you?
Doubt it.
Jeroen

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 13, 2018 00:23

Being sloppy and making mistakes is part of RS nature. But playing bad is another thing.
My opinion is that maybe might be an improvement over 2017. Barna 2017 was much better than 2007's.
But during these last 15 years KR is playing worse than ever.
Just my opinion

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 13, 2018 00:44

He's been listening to Blue Stab …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 13, 2018 00:54

I saw a few shows last year. The opening in Hamburg was a real concern for Keith fans. Not just flubs but serious worry if he could do it anymore. Botched intros and solos in the wrong key and the general impression of "confusion". Keith was starting to improve by Paris , but nothing like as focused as he is now. It shows in how he can knuckle down and focus when he needs to. Shattered from a week ago comes to mind - he just stood near Charlie and played it, looking at his fingers a lot. A lot less posing and the sound man has stopped turning him down after the intros !

His onstage chemistry with Mick is probably the best I've ever seen it. This is surely a result of him getting his shit together.

With both Keith and Ronnie on form we have a guitar band again.

sc uk

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 13, 2018 01:38

straycatuk
I saw a few shows last year. The opening in Hamburg was a real concern for Keith fans. Not just flubs but serious worry if he could do it anymore. Botched intros and solos in the wrong key and the general impression of "confusion". Keith was starting to improve by Paris , but nothing like as focused as he is now. It shows in how he can knuckle down and focus when he needs to. Shattered from a week ago comes to mind - he just stood near Charlie and played it, looking at his fingers a lot. A lot less posing and the sound man has stopped turning him down after the intros !

His onstage chemistry with Mick is probably the best I've ever seen it. This is surely a result of him getting his shit together.

sc uk

Spot on post Sir thumbs up

Going back to Hamburg his playing was so poor, iorr posters inc DP were saying he must be going deaf, and understandably so.
I suppose we ought to give credit to him in a way, last year Keith was almost 74 and still drinking hard and playing. I don't know anyone with that sort of constitution to keep that Rock & Roll lifestyle up until this age.
They are usually dead long before 74. Look at Lemmy, he was the oldest at 70 before he died, but Keith is still going strong.
So pleased he got his shit together recently, quit while you're ahead Keith and Keep smiling.smiling smiley Its the smart man that gets more out of alcohol than alcohol gets out of him. And being Keef the mythical legend isn't worth dying for.
Can't be easy though when we love drink so much.

Date: June 13, 2018 08:13

straycatuk

sc uk

One little part of one solo in the wrong key (SFTD). Which intro was botched in Hamburg?

He was great in Amsterdam, and his playing improved by Spielberg, not Paris.

Date: June 13, 2018 08:18

keithsman
straycatuk

sc uk

Spot on post Sir thumbs up

Going back to Hamburg his playing was so poor, iorr posters inc DP were saying he must be going deaf, and understandably so.
I suppose we ought to give credit to him in a way, last year Keith was almost 74 and still drinking hard and playing. I don't know anyone with that sort of constitution to keep that Rock & Roll lifestyle up until this age.
They are usually dead long before 74. Look at Lemmy, he was the oldest at 70 before he died, but Keith is still going strong.
So pleased he got his shit together recently, quit while you're ahead Keith and Keep smiling.smiling smiley Its the smart man that gets more out of alcohol than alcohol gets out of him. And being Keef the mythical legend isn't worth dying for.
Can't be easy though when we love drink so much.

Well gotta put things in perspective here. Keith was a little off in Hamburg a few times, not the whole show. I was concerned about whether he heard what he played, not that he was going deaf smiling smiley

SFM, Mr D, UMT, Play With Fire and GS featured great playing from Keith, so it wasn't as bad as many on here claimed.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 13, 2018 08:44

powerage78
Less posing too...for more humility

thumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 13, 2018 08:50

What about Happy 1972 or 1978 vs 2018 for example ? 2018 is better ? More energetic ? Equal ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 08:53 by powerage78.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 13, 2018 09:24

I watched Bremen '98 on YouTube the other night. The arthritis hadn't gnarled his fingers. He was fluid and playing leads from time to time. That Keith is gone, never to return. What is left is capable of moments. I prefer to remember him from No Security, before the slow decline that became alarming when he reappeared in 2012. I'm fascinated by audiences that are in awe hearing the opening chords of a song they've had to have heard a hundred times. But, hey, enjoy what's left if it still turns you on.

Date: June 13, 2018 11:07

powerage78
What about Happy 1972 or 1978 vs 2018 for example ? 2018 is better ? More energetic ? Equal ?

I'm more worried about the lyrics. The energy is still there winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 13, 2018 11:10

Well... eye rolling smiley
smileys with beer

Date: June 13, 2018 11:57

Hairball
Yes, but you disagreed with what I posted maybe just for the sake of an argument?
The facts are, yes he's playing more stuff that means something for the songs, and he's also playing less mistakes than the first leg - that's really the bottom line.
Add those two together (regardless of which might be more important), and it equates to better playing.

No need for an argument.

I simply believe that small mistakes never can overshadow a great piece of art. It's the soul of the work / the message / the question / the provocation / the overall thing that counts.

IMO, Keith has the important parts down in his performance now. A few wrong chords won't alter that, as long as he is involved and engaged.

The essential vs. the cosmetics, if you like.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: June 13, 2018 12:20

spikenyc
Like a fine wine, getting better with age! smileys with beer

I agree, with age, Keith becomes very professional with wrong chords!smoking smiley

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 13, 2018 12:33

ouroux58
spikenyc
Like a fine wine, getting better with age! smileys with beer

I agree, with age, Keith becomes very professional with wrong chords!smoking smiley

haha!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 13, 2018 12:47

Keith has become like an old master painter - applying brush strokes here and there to add extra colour to the sound.

Yes, Ronnie does the work and carries the songs on guitar now but we are seeing the emergence of a new, older and wiser Keith on stage in true, classic bandleader style.

This is exactly what the path trodden by all his musical heroes and other jazz greats - from Chuck Berry to Duke Ellington, Satchmo, Miles Davis - who would let their bands carry the songs but would play emphasising phrases and important notes.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 13, 2018 15:11

24FPS
I watched Bremen '98 on YouTube the other night. The arthritis hadn't gnarled his fingers. He was fluid and playing leads from time to time. That Keith is gone, never to return. What is left is capable of moments. I prefer to remember him from No Security, before the slow decline that became alarming when he reappeared in 2012. I'm fascinated by audiences that are in awe hearing the opening chords of a song they've had to have heard a hundred times. But, hey, enjoy what's left if it still turns you on.
So just because everyone knows the song, it's okay for Keith to blow one of the most iconic guitar intros in rock history?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 13, 2018 15:44

24FPS

Although still performing largely outstandingly during the Bridges to Babylon tour, the very gradual decline began earlier; compare his 1994-95 playing to 1989-90.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 13, 2018 15:55

Big Al
24FPS

Although still performing largely outstandingly during the Bridges to Babylon tour, the very gradual decline began earlier; compare his 1994-95 playing to 1989-90.
True, but I don't know if it was so much a decline as altering his style due to the change in the musical landscape.

In 1989, with the hard rock boom in full effect, guitar histrionics were all the rage. Keith played more ferocious and slightly longer leads to fit in with the music of the time.

By 1994, the grunge/alternative movement made over-the-top guitar soloing just for the sake of soloing feel lame and dated, so maybe Keith and Ronnie decided to scale back on extended soloing and just focus on servicing the songs.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 13, 2018 16:31

I think the guitar section decline is clear. Both play with very very low and amateurish level.
Sorry, but is my opinion

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 13, 2018 17:15

Nobody have mentioned it but surely there must be repercussions from the brain injury in 2006? Maybe he's still on medication for that?
To take a hit like that isn't good for anyone. Not in the short run, not in the long run either.

Date: June 13, 2018 17:36

Stoneage
Nobody have mentioned it but surely there must be repercussions from the brain injury in 2006? Maybe he's still on medication for that?
To take a hit like that isn't good for anyone. Not in the short run, not in the long run either.

It is mentioned weekly on here smiling smiley

Date: June 13, 2018 18:44

Sure, Dandy. But not in this specific thread. If my specs are on...

Date: June 13, 2018 19:40

[www.instagram.com]

Date: June 13, 2018 20:43

... As someone said under the clip: "I'm a drummer and I can play better guitar than that!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 20:55 by Stoneage.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 13, 2018 20:51

The fascination is seeing Keith deal with all his disabilities and ( when he is concentrating ) he can still communicate something interesting and sometimes something very moving. We all know know he can’t play like he did before the accident and the arthritis set in but he will never be just “ amateur” because his presence and timing and touch will occasionally emerge - and everyone wants to be there when it does.

Posted by: mattyman76 ()
Date: June 13, 2018 21:26

His decline started when he stopped the cocaine, he had nothing to sober himself up from the cocaine and weed plus the head injury and arthritis. If what he says is true that's he hasn't had a drink since Xmas that would explain his improvement... Something is missing tho

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 13, 2018 21:32

If anyone has a bleed on the brain, like Keith did, it takes ages to recover.

I had one, albeit three years' ago, and the simplest things were horrendous. I found myself repeating sentences in reports I was doing for work. I kept dropping my dinner, and fell asleep at bizarre times in the day.

Even now, three years down the line, my right side takes longer to kick into gear than my left side. It's not great, but it's manageable.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 13, 2018 21:35

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Yes, but you disagreed with what I posted maybe just for the sake of an argument?
The facts are, yes he's playing more stuff that means something for the songs, and he's also playing less mistakes than the first leg - that's really the bottom line.
Add those two together (regardless of which might be more important), and it equates to better playing.

No need for an argument.

I simply believe that small mistakes never can overshadow a great piece of art. It's the soul of the work / the message / the question / the provocation / the overall thing that counts.

IMO, Keith has the important parts down in his performance now. A few wrong chords won't alter that, as long as he is involved and engaged.

The essential vs. the cosmetics, if you like.

Right, but you said "I don't think it has anything to do with mistakes" which doesn't make much sense to me. Clearly less mistakes make for a better experience no matter who it is and what they're doing, and the fact that he's playing less mistakes on this leg vs. last is part of the reason that he's playing better. Everything you say above might also be true, but the simple fact is less mistakes also equates to better playing which was what my original post stated, and what the original post from Anitapal82 was alluding to. Imagine a tune that's filled with 100% mistakes vs. a tune that only has 50% mistakes...clearly there's a difference. Maybe if you had said "mistakes are only a small part of the issue" vs. mistakes have nothing to do with it (which is the way it reads), there wouldn't be an issue here.

powerage78
[www.instagram.com]

Hard to even tell what song this is due to inferior audio, but that solo seems interchangeable with a number of tunes - I'll take a wild guess and say It's Only Rock'N'Roll? Or maybe Gimme Shelter?
Whatever tune it is, Sasha seems to be having a good time and enjoying it, or at least acting like she is.

Date: June 13, 2018 22:06

Hairball
Hard to even tell what song this is due to inferior audio, but that solo seems interchangeable with a number of tunes - I'll take a wild guess and say It's Only Rock'N'Roll? Or maybe Gimme Shelter?

Surely it's Satisfaction. Horrible anyway...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1424
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home